Over rate in Test cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Over rate in Test cricket

Postby RB » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:16 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Australia have played 4 tests in England with a result being achieved in each game, so what's the issue if the over rate is slow. So long as we get a resullt, it's no big deal.

It's a very big deal to me, but then again I am a cricket supporter who enjoys watching test cricketers play test cricket matches - others may not share my enthusiasm.

If the authorities are going to issue partial refunds to paying spectators when they fall short, then arguably it at least wouldn't amount to daylight robbery, but even still I'm genuinely surprised that there are any cricket followers at all that are OK with the laws of cricket being contravened and ultimately less cricket being played.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:24 pm

RB wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Australia have played 4 tests in England with a result being achieved in each game, so what's the issue if the over rate is slow. So long as we get a resullt, it's no big deal.

It's a very big deal to me, but then again I am a cricket supporter who enjoys watching test cricketers play test cricket matches - others may not share my enthusiasm.

If the authorities are going to issue partial refunds to paying spectators when they fall short, then arguably it at least wouldn't amount to daylight robbery, but even still I'm genuinely surprised that there are any cricket followers at all that are OK with the laws of cricket being contravened and ultimately less cricket being played.

Agree that you can't have drawn tests (without any weather interruptions) when there haven't been 450 overs of play.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:41 pm

The trouble is over rates are being used to gain an advantage tactically. The reason England went so slow at end of day 3 was they wanted to bat for as little time as possible at the end of day 3 knowing that day 4 was going to be sunny. There should be massive fines from this game.

I think fining the umpires might be the way to go, they have the ultimate responsibilty to keep the game moving. There is no respect shown to umpires anymore. A batsman should ask the umpire for a drink or a change of gloves, not just signal to the changerooms. Give them the power to send players off wether it be a bowler or captain and also batsman that arent ready to face when the bowler is ready to bowl. One warning then off.
It would work the same as a bowler or batsman running down the pitch, it is very rare an umpire has to penalise a team, it would have the same effect.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:49 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Saw some stats that England bowled 20 over in 156 minutes on that Third Day. Why it took a UN meeting after every second ball with blokes like Broad and Robinson running 30 metres to get involved every time.

Similarly in the World Test final, just after lunch on Day 4, when around 300 over should have been bowled, both teams were a cumulative 30 overs behind. Over five days that is 45 overs, ie half a day's play, or ten percent of the game. Let's blow the siren at the 18 minute mark of the last quarter.

The umpires need to step in, but they also need the full backing of the ICC, which would have to be one of the most useless organisations in world sport.

Time for some real penalties, and time to not care what they players think, they have had plenty of time to regulate themselves.
No more fines, but a system of penalty points for the bowling team where:
the captain gets 40 points
the vice captain and bowlers get 30
and the batsmen get 20
and once they reach 100, they get suspended for a game, 200 suspended for two games and so one. They never get removed like driving demerits.

Points accumulate, so if a captain is found guilty three times, he misses a game and is up to 120 points, so two more infractions and he misses two games.
For batsmen it might mean get suspended for a game in around five years, and then two after ten.
If a batsman becomes a captain, his points stay with him so he might have 60 points already, and is one infraction away from missing a Test.

Australia have played 4 tests in England with a result being achieved in each game, so what's the issue if the over rate is slow. So long as we get a resullt, it's no big deal. Do you want a scenario where the series is locked at 2 all and both Cummings and Stokes are suspended from the decider? The biggest issues for Test cricket are;
1. Players not making themselves available because they commit to T20.
2. Dead pitches which don't allow a result, no matter how many overs are bowled
3. Negative bowling and field placings i.e. thè Wagner effect

I agree that all those things are major issues for the game too. I would say the first one is equally as big as the over rates with the next two down a rung. Dead, or unfair pitches (ie Gabba last year) should be weeded out by a strong ICC through risk of removing a Test, which is what is happening.

I would have no issue if Cummins, Stokes, Smith, Starc, Root were all suspended from the final Test. It's not as if it would come out of the blue, they would have been aware of their demerit points going into the series and the fourth Test. The motivation would be to stop it from getting to that point anyway

Are you happy people paying a certain amount for their tickets are being dudded 5-10% of their purchase?

People go to Test cricket to see an exciting comtest and that's what they've been getting. I don't think any of the punters who bought a ticket would feel like they've been dudded if they watched 85 overs of cricket, so long as the contest is exciting and we ultimately get a result.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:03 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Saw some stats that England bowled 20 over in 156 minutes on that Third Day. Why it took a UN meeting after every second ball with blokes like Broad and Robinson running 30 metres to get involved every time.

Similarly in the World Test final, just after lunch on Day 4, when around 300 over should have been bowled, both teams were a cumulative 30 overs behind. Over five days that is 45 overs, ie half a day's play, or ten percent of the game. Let's blow the siren at the 18 minute mark of the last quarter.

The umpires need to step in, but they also need the full backing of the ICC, which would have to be one of the most useless organisations in world sport.

Time for some real penalties, and time to not care what they players think, they have had plenty of time to regulate themselves.
No more fines, but a system of penalty points for the bowling team where:
the captain gets 40 points
the vice captain and bowlers get 30
and the batsmen get 20
and once they reach 100, they get suspended for a game, 200 suspended for two games and so one. They never get removed like driving demerits.

Points accumulate, so if a captain is found guilty three times, he misses a game and is up to 120 points, so two more infractions and he misses two games.
For batsmen it might mean get suspended for a game in around five years, and then two after ten.
If a batsman becomes a captain, his points stay with him so he might have 60 points already, and is one infraction away from missing a Test.

Australia have played 4 tests in England with a result being achieved in each game, so what's the issue if the over rate is slow. So long as we get a resullt, it's no big deal. Do you want a scenario where the series is locked at 2 all and both Cummings and Stokes are suspended from the decider? The biggest issues for Test cricket are;
1. Players not making themselves available because they commit to T20.
2. Dead pitches which don't allow a result, no matter how many overs are bowled
3. Negative bowling and field placings i.e. thè Wagner effect

I agree that all those things are major issues for the game too. I would say the first one is equally as big as the over rates with the next two down a rung. Dead, or unfair pitches (ie Gabba last year) should be weeded out by a strong ICC through risk of removing a Test, which is what is happening.

I would have no issue if Cummins, Stokes, Smith, Starc, Root were all suspended from the final Test. It's not as if it would come out of the blue, they would have been aware of their demerit points going into the series and the fourth Test. The motivation would be to stop it from getting to that point anyway

Are you happy people paying a certain amount for their tickets are being dudded 5-10% of their purchase?

People go to Test cricket to see an exciting comtest and that's what they've been getting. I don't think any of the punters who bought a ticket would feel like they've been dudded if they watched 85 overs of cricket, so long as the contest is exciting and we ultimately get a result.

On the first day of this Test, 80 overs were bowled, less two for innings changeover means 8 overs short. I, for one, would love to have seen what the Aussies could have done in the last 8 overs with the Poms 3/68.
And it was riveting stuff watching Robinson, Broad, Stokes and whoever else have a pow-wow after every second ball at the end of the Third Day.
Last edited by FlyingHigh on Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:06 pm

daysofourlives wrote:The trouble is over rates are being used to gain an advantage tactically. The reason England went so slow at end of day 3 was they wanted to bat for as little time as possible at the end of day 3 knowing that day 4 was going to be sunny. There should be massive fines from this game.

This.
As well as the disruption to the batsmen's momentum and rhythm when they have to wait so long to face up
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:30 pm

Reports Australia will be docked 13 points which is 1 more point than a Test victory and I can only assume England the same or more. Apparently the reason it hasnt been announced is England are appealing or sooking to the ICC
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:51 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Reports Australia will be docked 13 points which is 1 more point than a Test victory and I can only assume England the same or more. Apparently the reason it hasnt been announced is England are appealing or sooking to the ICC

If you are referring to the 3rd test I reckon that report is rubbish. Aren't Australia immune from any slow over rate sanctions because neither England innings lasted longer than 60 overs?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:11 am

It is for the Lords Test.
Australia were fined for the World Test Final, fined at two docked two WTC points for the first Test.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:50 pm

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/3590055
The ICC Chief Executives' Committee has endorsed modifications to the over-rate sanctions in Test cricket to strike a balance between the imperative of maintaining over-rates and ensuring fair remuneration for players.

Under the revised regulations that will be applied from the start of the current World Test Championship cycle, players will be subjected to a fine equivalent to 5% of their match fee for every over that falls short, with a maximum penalty capped at 50%.

Notably, if a team gets bowled out prior to reaching the 80-over mark and the new ball is not yet due, no over-rate penalty will be imposed, regardless of any potential delays. This amendment supersedes the existing threshold of 60 overs.

“The ICC World Test Championship has injected renewed energy into Test cricket giving it compelling context," ICC Men’s Cricket Committee Chair Sourav Ganguly said.

"In the last edition we only had 12 draws in 69 matches, and we want to ensure that trend continues whilst we’re giving fans the best value for money and keeping over-rates up.

“The Men’s Cricket Committee felt strongly that over-rate penalties in the form of WTC points deductions should remain but recommended that players should not have 100% of their match fee at risk. We believe this provides a balance between maintaining over-rates and ensuring we are not deterring players from playing Test cricket."
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket