Great Cricket Sledges

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Great Cricket Sledges

Postby Punk Rooster » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:26 pm

1. Rod Marsh & Ian Botham:
When Botham took guard in an Ashes match,
Marsh welcomed him to the wicket with the immortal words:
"So how's your wife & my kids?"

2. Daryll Cullinan & Shane Warne:
As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him he had been waiting 2 years for another chance
to humiliate him.
"Looks like you spent it eating," Cullinan retorted.

3. Glenn McGrath (bowling to portly Zimbabwean chicken farmer Eddo
Brandes):
"Hey Eddo, why are you so F**ing Fat?"
Eddo Brandes: "Because everytime I F*** your mother, she throws me a biscuit"

4. Robin Smith & Merv Hughes:
During 1989 Lords Test Hughes said to Smith after he played & missed:"You can't f**king bat".
Smith to Hughes after he smacked him to theboundary: "Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can't f**king bat & you can't f**king bowl."

5. Merv Hughes & Javed Miandad:
During 1991 Adelaide Test, Javed called Merv a fat bus conductor.
A few balls later Merv dismissed Javed: "Tickets please", Merv called out as he ran past the departing batsman.

6. Merv Hughes & Viv Richards:
During a test match in the West Indies, Hughes didn't say a word to Viv, but continued to stare at him after deliveries. "This is my island, my culture. Don't you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl." Merv didn't reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the batsman: "In my culture we just say f**k off."

7. And of course you can't forget Ian Healy's legendary comment which
was picked up by the Channel 9 microphones when Arjuna Ranatunga
called for a runner on a particularly hot night during a one dayer in
Sydney... "You don't get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, Fat
c**t!!!"

8. James Ormond had just come out to bat on an ashes tour and was
greeted by Mark Waugh.......
MW : "F*ck me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here, there's no way you're good enough to
play for England" JO "Maybe not, but at least i'm the best player in my family"

9. McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan:
"So what does Brian Lara's d*ck Taste like?"Sarwan: "I don't know. Ask your wife." McGrath (losing it): "If you ever effing mention my wife again, I'll F*ing rip your F*fing throat out."

10. Mark Waugh standing at second slip, the new player (AdamParore)
comes to the crease playing & missing the first ball.
Mark - "Ohh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were sh*t
then, you're fu*king useless now".
Parore- (Turning around) "Yeah, that's me & when I was there you were going out with that old, ugly sl*t & now I hear you've married her. You dumb c*nt".

11. Yet another Australian witticism with this time porky Sri Lankan
batsman Arjuna Ranatunga the victim.
Shane Warne, trying to tempt the batsman out of his crease mused what it took to get the plump character to get out of his crease and drive. Wicketkeeper Ian Healy piped up, "Put a Mars Bar on a good length. That should do it."

12. Ravi Shastri v/s the aussie 12th man (don't remember who, and don't want to sledge anyone ) Shastri hits it to this guy and looks for a single...this guy gets the ball in and says "if you leave the crease i'll break your f***ing head" Shastri: "if you could bat as well as you can talk you wouldn't be the f***ing 12th man"

13. Malcolm Marshall was bowling to David Boon who had played and missed a couple of times. Marshall :
"Now David, Are you going to Get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket and kill you?"

14. Fred Trueman bowling. The batsman edges and the ball goes to first slip,and right between Raman Subba Row's legs. Fred doesn't say a word. At the end of the over, Row ambles past Trueman and apologises sheepishly.
"I should've kept my legs together, Fred". "So should your mother" he replied.

15. Shaun Pollock bowling to Ricky Ponting, Ponting plays and misses, Pollock says " it's a small red ball, weighs (insert weight of ball), you know it? Next ball Ponting smashes Pollock out the ground for six. Ponting "You know what it looks like, now go find it"

16. Chris Cairns to Ricky Ponting....Even my mother could captain the Australian Cricket Team...
To which Brett Lee replied...Chris Cairns's mother must be a pretty good player...

17. An unnamed Aussie was not so fortunate after trying to wind up Sir Viv Richards in his own kingdom.Barging into the visitors' changing room on close of play, King Viv pinned his man against a wall without anyone daring to restrain him."If you are going to call me a black bastard, how observant of you to notice that I am black," he snorted."But do you have the documentation to prove I am a bastard?"

18. Adam Parore and Daryll Cullinan. Because Cullinan is well known for being Warne's bunny, New Zealand keeper Parore greeted the South African, carefully playing the first ball from Kiwi Chris Harris, with a cry of: "Bowled Warnie!".

19. Craig McDermott & Phil Tufnell. But perhaps the most intimidating one-liner delivered in recent cricket history occurred in the 1991 Ashes series in Oz when Craig McDermott was dismissed at Perth by Phil Tufnell and responded by asking: “You’ve got to bat on this in a minute, Tufnell. Hospital food suit you?”

20. In an England v Australia Test during early 1960's Trueman was fielding close to the gate from the pavilion. As a new batsman came out he turned to shut the gate, Trueman said "Don't bother son, you won't be out there long enough."

21. Merv Hughes was playing for Australia against a South African provincial
side during a tour to SA. Hansie Cronje was facing him on a totally flat
deck and belting fours and sixes from every one of Hughes' overs. After
Cronje hit Hughes for six for about the 8th time, Big Merv ran down the
pitch, let out a huge fart and said "Try and hit that for six". It was
about 5 minutes before everyone was composed enough to continue the
game.

22. Jamie Siddons (considered one of the best players never to have played Test Cricket for Australia) was fielding at first slip and the batsman was fidgeting around and basically taking his sweet time to face up.
Siddons : "For **** sake, It's not a **** Test Match"
Batsman turning round : "Obviously - You're here !"

23. Another one attributed to Trueman. He's just bowled a bloke with an absolute peach of a ball.
Batsman : "That was a great ball Fred."
Trueman : "Aye son, and wasted on you.

24. Queensland were playing the Poms in a warmup game. Nasser Hussain was batting. Nasser has what you might call a prominent probiscus.
Healy to fieldsman: "I want you to come in and field right under Nasser's nose"
(Fieldsman starts walking in)
Healy when fieldsman is 5 metres from Hussain: "Right, That'll do"

25. Graeme Hick, who never mastered top class fast bowling, had been under siege from a barrage of Hughes' bouncers.
"What does your husband do when he is not watching you play cricket?" Hughes asked.

26. A famous one from the Centenary Test in Melbourne 1977. A young David Hookes makes his way to the crease in his debut test. The English captain was South African born Tony Greig.
Greig : "When are balls going to drop sonny"
Hookes : "Don't know but at least I'm playing Cricket for my own country"

27. "If it had been a cheese roll, it would never have got past him." - Graham Gooch on the famous Shane Warne delivery that bowled Gatting at Old Trafford, 1993
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Re: Great Cricket Sledges

Postby Magpiespower » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:53 pm

3. Glenn McGrath (bowling to portly Zimbabwean chicken farmer Eddo
Brandes):
"Hey Eddo, why are you so F**ing Fat?"
Eddo Brandes: "Because everytime I F*** your mother, she throws me a biscuit"

The greatest sledge of all-time.

BTW, hate to be picky but I reakon Brandes said "wife" and not mother.
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Punk Rooster » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:29 pm

My favs in order
1. 24 (Healy about Nasser)
2. 5 (Hughes to Miandad)
3. 10 (Waugh & Parore)
4. 11 (Healy about Ranatunga)
5. 18 (Parore & Cullinan)

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Postby dinglinga » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:49 pm

sledges from this test

Warney to Hodgey and Ponting fielding in close with Justin Kemp taking strike

look its Darrly batting again ( in referance to darryl cullinan)

Graeme Smith to Brad Hodge with Hodgey spraying flyspray on himself

dont hurt your national bird....

is graeme smith a complete wan^&r or does andre nel take that award
dinglinga
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time

Postby duncs7 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:14 pm

I love Jamie Siddons but that one was a beauty.
Elizabeth Eagles Football Club. Est 1956
Argana Park, Elizabeth. SA
http://www.elizabethfc.net
duncs7
Under 18s

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:36 am

A former psycopathic team mate of mine got a send off whilst playing C Grade on Cowandilla Primary School.
As he left the ground he copped a blast,he turns to the bloke and says, "I hope 'ya get eaten by a shark!".

WTF? :roll:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby spell_check » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:02 pm

I bought the January edition of Inside Cricket today and it is interesting that regarding no.7 this is Healys' version of that sledge as published on page 22.

"No, that's wrong (the unfit fat c*nt quote). I told him he couldn't have a runner for being unfit. He said 'I've got cramp'. I said: ' Yeah, because you're fat. Have a look at yourself' But that Internet thing, it's bullshit. I've never called anyone ever in my career a c-word or a coloured word. That's not right."
Last edited by spell_check on Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby dinglinga » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:29 pm

while ian healy says he has never called anyone a c&*T i remember in 89 when sa beat qld i was able to meet some of the qld team and get autographs i ask healy for his and tod me to fu&k off... carl rackemann was great though chatting to him about cricket..

i wish desy haynes rapped that bat around his head !!!
dinglinga
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:56 pm

Not a sledge per se but last year J Dyson was coaching Sri Lanka on their Australian tour and G McGrath was playing for an NT invitational XI, his first game back from injury.

Dyson would go for a run/walk every session around the oval for about 30 mins, on one of his laps past the NT rooms Pidge has called out,

"So Dyso whats its like to have taken the 2nd best catch in Australian test cricket history?"

Had to be there I susppose.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby spell_check » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:11 pm

That's quite witty from the Mc.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Magpiespower » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:15 am

spell_check wrote:I bought the January edition of Inside Cricket today and it is interesting that regarding no.7 this is Healys' version of that sledge as published on page 22.

"No, that's wrong (the unfit fat c*nt quote). I told him he couldn't have a runner for being unfit. He sid 'I've got cramp'. I said: ' Yeah, because you're fat. Have a look at yourself' But that Internet thing, it's bullshit. I've never called anyone ever in my career a c-word or a coloured word. That's not right."

Yeah, right Heals...

Must have gone all respectable on us now that he's an esteemed commentator.

Or is he angling for a selectors gig?
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times

Postby Jman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:46 am

They are gold, cheers for the laugh punky.
Melrose Park that aint South I'm talking about the real South.
Jman

Postby Punk Rooster » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:14 am

spell_check wrote:That's quite witty from the Mc.

That'd probably be the first time he wasn't carved up on the return serve either...

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:34 am

Another alledged great sledge from who else but the boys on the Hill drinking West End....

Back in the 5th test in 89, Australia v the Windies, Merv had come into the test match under a bit of pressure as he had only taken one wicket (in Sydney) since since his match haul of 13 in Perth.

During a quiet period of the match as it pitered out to a draw, Merv was walking back to his run up mark at the Northern End, and some wag on the hill has called out, "Hey Merv, how many wickets you taken since Perth?"

Merv obviously not happy, has given the bloke the ol' two finger salute (with an upward motion of the arm)

Quick as a flash, the bloke has called out, "Nah you're wrong, its only one!!!"
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

this was from a someone in the crowd

Postby bayman » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:58 pm

it was a sa v vic game about 4 years ago & harvey was batting i cant remember who the bowler was but he'd played & missed the first 4 deliveries of this particular over & someone in the crowd yelled out (not me) why dont you try & hit it harvey you overrated victorian c... & all harvey could/would do was keep telling this bloke to f... off you idiot & shutup, sitdown & so on this went on for about half hour (he didn't score many) then he got caught in the slips this bloke yelled out at least you hit it you prick, harvey said to f... off,shut up & sit down & the reply was 'well you can now sit down too' ( this was paraphrasing from memory) but those who were there were pissing themselves including me
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Grassroots Team: Plympton

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket