Neutral umpiring concept a glorious failure in 2005/06

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Neutral umpiring concept a glorious failure in 2005/06

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:37 pm

Dar and Bowden. So far, in this test they have been simply terrible, just terrible. Dar has somehow given Andrew Symonds out LB with the ball missing a fourth stump down the legside..with many other LBs that actually were out given called not out. Earlier in the match we've had Billy Bowden making us get Jacques Kallis out three times in the first dig and an emphasis of policing the 'dissent' rules rather than actually making correct decisions.

And it's not just this test. Brian Lara was robbed twice and South African victims include Ashwell Prince and Mark Boucher. These six test matches played in the Australian summer of 05/06 have been a spectacular failure for the neutral umpiring concept. Surely a local umpire who knows local conditions would be a preferred option? What about the novel concept of getting the best umpire for the job, rather than diluting quality by introducing a type of quota system? What about the cost factor? What about the assumption that a home umpire would in fact is biased?

All these questions make me concerned with the current system. Bucknor has improved this summer but was woeful in the Ashes series, Koertnzer is diabolical, Aleem Dar and Billy Bowden have been unspeakable in this match. The less experienced umpires, Doctrove and Rauf have fared better. Rauf looked the best umpire all season until he finally caved in to the pressure of the Australians with that dodgy call on Ashwell Prince. Doctrove umpired very well I thought and was unfairly criticised for the no ball call that denied the Proteas that catch off of Ricky Ponting (How difficult would it be for the ump to judge that sliding front foot after all?).

REB’s Umpire Ratings

1. Doctrove
2. Raud
3. Bucknor
4. Howell
5. Koertzen
6. Bowden
7. Dar

Can't remember much about Howell's performance but that's a better effort than the bottom three who were noticeable!! A worrying concern is the performance of the more experienced ‘name’ umpires.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby stan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:42 pm

Some good points there REB. The umpiring is shite.
Agree with the call about Doctrove and the no ball decision. In only a split second he said no ball, and i mean come on can someone really judge if the foot slid or the heel was lifted after the foot was planted. some comentators are morons. And put most of the media in there as well.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Tiger Couple » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:54 pm

REB, Who is the your No. 2 Umpire Raud. I haven't heard of him or recall ever seeing him can you jog my memory.

The biggest problem with the Neutral Umpire System is that Simon Taufel is rated the Best umpire by the players but Australia never get to have him as he is Australian, apparently Darrel Hair and Daryl Harper are high up in the player rankings.

It dosen't seem fair on the Aussies and there opposition for good quality serieses because the best umpires can't do the series as they are from Australia.
Tiger Couple
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:00 pm

the umpiring this summer has been terrible, but hte Andrew Symonds decision is probably the first one to go against the aussies in a long time during a home series. The aussies do get a good ride with the umpires and it doesnt matter who is umpiring if its home grown or neutral.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11854 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby godoubleblues » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:01 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:the umpiring this summer has been terrible, but hte Andrew Symonds decision is probably the first one to go against the aussies in a long time during a home series. The aussies do get a good ride with the umpires and it doesnt matter who is umpiring if its home grown or neutral.

yep I agree, how was the not out decision on Hussey today when he was on 9, how more plumb in front do you need to be
Hussey was a lucky man today :wink:
godoubleblues
Coach

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:17 pm

Yes some good points Rik.
Despite Doctrove's apology to Graeme Smith, I actually think that the no-ball call was correct because as I saw it, at the point of delivery, Langeveldt's heel was behind the line but it was airborne so as far as I'm aware, that is a no-ball.
Rauf did put up a good performance in the Boxing day test.
Was this neutral umpire system bought in to mainly stop what was going on in the subcontinent?
Also, did the incident's involving messrs Hair and Emerson have a bit to do with bringing it on as well?
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Punk Rooster » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:35 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote:Was this neutral umpire system bought in to mainly stop what was going on in the subcontinent?

Yes. India & Pakistan nearly went to war with each other over it. Pakistani Ump's were giving weather tips to John the Bookie.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:52 pm

Neutral umpires aren't there to stop bias they're there to stop the perception of bias from knuckleheads all around the world from Mumbai to Myrtle Bank.

Haven't been too many Shakoor Rana incidents since they've ben introduced.
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:57 pm

Was he an umpire from the '88 tour to Pakistan Topsy?
Not sure if you are mocking my question Punk but you can't deny there were problems with corrupt umpiring in that part of the world
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:01 am

PUNTER wrote:REB, Who is the your No. 2 Umpire Raud. I haven't heard of him or recall ever seeing him can you jog my memory.

The biggest problem with the Neutral Umpire System is that Simon Taufel is rated the Best umpire by the players but Australia never get to have him as he is Australian, apparently Darrel Hair and Daryl Harper are high up in the player rankings.

It dosen't seem fair on the Aussies and there opposition for good quality serieses because the best umpires can't do the series as they are from Australia.

Umpire Raud, from Pakistan made his umpiring debut in the boxing day test and did a good job under a lot of pressure from Shane Warne in particular.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:05 am

topsywaldron wrote:Neutral umpires aren't there to stop bias they're there to stop the perception of bias from knuckleheads all around the world from Mumbai to Myrtle Bank.

Haven't been too many Shakoor Rana incidents since they've ben introduced.

Cripes Topsy, you've quite possibly pulled out the worst umpire in over 125 years as an example of the dangers of abandoning the neutral umpiring concept! Personally, I don't care what the knuckleheads think as long as they don't umpire in a test match. FTTCIL, Shakoor Rana was the umpire that clashed with English captain Mike Gatting who called him a '5hit umpire".

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Punk Rooster » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:36 am

ORDoubleBlues wrote:Was he an umpire from the '88 tour to Pakistan Topsy?
Not sure if you are mocking my question Punk but you can't deny there were problems with corrupt umpiring in that part of the world
I was mocking the the tensions between India & Pakistan, they'd go to war with each other over a game of marbles. I do remember a Pakistani umpire being the subject of Indian outcry, would've been in the 80's/90's
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:29 pm

No worries Punk.
Just as well Cennals05 doesn't read this part of the site, 'cos I'm sure he would put a post on here saying that me saying 'there used to be problems with corrupt umpiring on the subcontinent' was a conspiracy theory.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:34 pm

On the subject of Neutral umpiring, I watched the last hour of the New Zealand V Sri Lanka one dayer this afternoon and there were two terrible decisions in that time alone. Chris Cairns should have been given out by the third umpire for one run out decision and while it was a close thing they must have had access to only one replay as I thought that one of the different angles on TV clearly showed it was out.
For the Second one he should have been out LBW to the bowling of Perera and when they scampered through for a quick single I thought there must have been an inside edge but when the umpire signalled leg byes, I couldn't believe it.
Perera looked to be quite a handy bowler for the Sri Lankans.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket