Now that the cricket season is over...REB's ratings 2005/06

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Now that the cricket season is over...REB's ratings 2005/06

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:09 am

1. Brett Lee

This one is from the 'credit where credit is due' file. Brett Lee has been fantastic this summer, assuming the mantle of Australia's premier fast man by finally using his brain, something I didn't think was possible after the Ashes series. Brett has belatedly learnt to pitch the ball up and the difference in his slower ball and his regular pace has reduced, making it much more difficult to spot for the batsman. Lee's batting has improved as well, but not the extent that some people believe. Ranked number one for the enormous improvement in his bowling at a time where McGrath is becoming less effective.

2. Ricky Ponting

Ends the summer as the best batsman in world cricket today. If you don't get Punter out early then you are in real strife. Once he works out how to play a little straighter for a little longer when he first comes in he could well be anything. Ponting's ability to score quickly is a huge advantage for Australia as was shown in the SCG test. The only downside for Punter at the moment is his captaincy. Too many talks with self-important umpires, bewildering bowling changes and some bizarre fields being set still..a sign of bad captaincy is when you see the fieldsman being placed in the gap AFTER the ball has gone there and unfortunately Punter still does this too often. However, remember that AB was also an ordinary captain early on (probably didn't come good until the 1987 World Cup).

3. Matthew Hayden

Haydos has carried on his form from the last Ashes test and a cornerstone of this new approach is respecting the bowling instead of trying to blast every attack off the park from over one. Hayden's form slump in the Ashes will ultimately make Matt a better batsman as every time he has a slump, he re-emerges as a better player. While Hayden has re-discovered his defensive capabilities, this does not mean that he has forgotten how to smash the bowling and this is a good sign for Australia when you see Haydos bat in his 'usual' manner as he did yesterday.

4. Michael Hussey

Hussey was the most impressive of the new boys that have come into the side this summer. After a nervous start, Hussey has shown adaptability to be defensive when required, but also having the ability to score freely when the side needs it. Hussey has benefited from a long apprenticeship at County and Moo Moo cup level and looks the complete Test cricketer already. Future Australian Captain.

5. Shane Warne

A solid season from Warne but not as productive as his outstanding Ashes series, particularly with the bat. Warne has shown in recent times that he is going to be going the distance and could in fact play on until he is 40. Remember that Dutchy Holland actually made his debut at this age. Warne may not have that spitting flipper of old but his brain (on the cricket field anyway) is always switched on. The best thing about Warne is the way he dismantles promising new players from the opposition. They aren't Test cricketers until they pass the 'Warne' test.

6. Stuart Magill

Magill has emerged as a valuable partner and not just a fill in for Shane Warne. Now that Australia's pace stocks are diminished, Magill has stepped into the breach and has put to rest the misguided 'horses for courses' policy of recent years. Magill bowls well in tandem with Warne and his unique (ie. not one shot from the textbook) batting style can frustrate tired bowlers looking to clean up the tail. Australia is most fortunate to have the two best legspinners in the world at a time when many top players in world cricket face so little spin bowling.

7. Brad Hodge

Statistically, Brad Hodge has had an outstanding start to his test career. However, I'm not that convinced that Hodge can remain a regular in the test scene. Hodge tends to play away from his body a fair bit and if he remains in the test side he could come unstuck by anyone who puts a bit of thought into a plan to counter him. Hodge's 200 not out was a great innings in Perth but apart from the odd good shot here and there, he doesn't quite look the part to me. Fielding also needs some work.

8. Glen McGrath

Father time appears to be catching up with McGrath but having said that, he is still bowling well but is not taking as many wickets. Probably the biggest worry for McGrath is the fact that Punter is increasingly turning to Brett Lee when a wicket is needed and not Pidge. McGrath may in fact be coming to end of a great test career but should not be shunted aside until either Dizzy comes back into the side (something I believe will happen) or until Bracken becomes a bit more consistent. On the plus side, McGrath has emerged as something more than the batting bunny that he has been for most of his career, at least in terms of occupation of the crease.

9. Andrew Symonds

Symonds stood on the precipice after his Boxing Day duck and peered down into the abyss. What he saw must have shaken him up a bit because since then he has turned it on with bat and ball. Symonds wicket haul in Melbourne gave him confidence to begin to believe that he actually deserves that baggy green on his head. I'm glad that Australia persevered with Symonds because of his power hitting and athletic fielding. The wickets were just a bonus.

10. Justin Langer

A disappointing season for Justin Langer for two reasons. First of all, JL is having a tough trot with injuries at the moment and all of these injuries lead me to believe that Langer just isn't picking up the ball as well as he was two years ago when he was arguably the best batsman in the world. Langer cops plenty in the body these days and the hamstrings appear to be going. Technically, Langer is starting to drag the ball back onto his stumps a fair bit and I feel that JL might not be on the scene when England visits next summer but writing off Justin Langer is always fraught with danger. Langer only sees the hundred these days in the Johnnie Walker ads.

11. Adam Gilchrist

An ordinary summer to follow what was an ordinary Ashes series. Before the Australians left for England, I remember reading an article about Gilly and it was all about how he didn't enjoy the game as much these days and was starting to become more reluctant to part with his family in order to tour with the Australians. This attitude is not surprising as Gilly has little to prove. The problem I have is the fact that he is still playing..if you want to give it away Gilly give it away as Brad Haddin is ready. Gilly's batting has fallen away as the oppo has worked out that he likes to keep that score ticking over and that he does have a big weakness in the gully and fourth slip region. The main reason for the low ranking is that Gilly's keeping has been horrible this summer, missed stumpings, not going for catches and not appearing to read Warne, especially down the leg side are some of the sins apparent in Gillys game this year. Have a crack or hang em up Gilly.

12. Nathan Bracken

Not too sure what to make of this kid. Bracken can swing the ball but probably needs a bit more variation in order to be a success on those wickets that don't suit his natural style. Watching him at the Gabba, I couldn’t help but think 'gee this bloke would have been handy in England' but hindsight is a beautiful thing. Bracken has talent but may be confined to the one dayers and be a test fringe player if does not develop more wicket taking deliveries on the flatter surfaces.

13. Shane Watson

Watson has that terrible word 'potential' hanging over his head. If Australia can ever get enough matches out of the guy then he could develop into a genuine all rounder. At this stage I'd have to say that his batting looks nowhere near good enough to be considered a genuine all rounder but his bowling is much better than his main rival, Andrew Symonds. What must be a worry for Watson is how easily he hurt that shoulder up at the Gabba. Even an old hack like me could have got up from that and Watson faces the unenviable tag of 'Bruce Reid of the noughties'.

14. Phil Jaques

Got his test debut on Boxing Day but failed to make his mark with that one opportunity. Showed some poise in the second innings of the test and looks to be the next opener in waiting for when Langer's hamstring goes for the hundredth time.

15. Michael Clarke

Back to school for pup who couldn’t seem to keep the ball on the ground when he returned to Australia. Clarke is a huge talent and will return to the side in the near future and has probably bought himself a Brad Hodge doll to stick pins in. Clarke's fielding is spot on but will need a mountain of runs for the bluebaggers in order to remind the selectors that he is still about the place. Not finished by any means.

16. Simon Katich

Should have changed his name to nick because he was doing a hell of a lot of it, both in England and when he returned to Australia. While I think that Clarke will be back, I can't say the same thing about Katich. The selectors stuck by Kat and he repaid their faith by continuing to get out nearly the same way every time. One dayers only.

REB's Ashes test side

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath
12th Magill

In my view Hodge will need to perform in South Africa and Justin Langer will need to stay fit. Dizzy needs a big year for Jellybacks but I reckon he'd cream England in Australia if he got his chance.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Re: Now that the cricket season is over...REB's ratings 2005

Postby Punk Rooster » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:31 am

PR's Ashes test side

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Warne
Lee
Tait
McGrath
12th Magill

I have 2 different selections, with a view to the future. If McGrath was to decline to the point that he warranted replacing, I'd insert Bracken into the line up next.

Good assessment of the players also.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Re: Now that the cricket season is over...REB's ratings 2005

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:48 am

Punk Rooster wrote:PR's Ashes test side

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Warne
Lee
Tait
McGrath
12th Magill

I have 2 different selections, with a view to the future. If McGrath was to decline to the point that he warranted replacing, I'd insert Bracken into the line up next.

Good assessment of the players also.

I reckon that Gilly and McGrath would want to right the wrongs of 2005 before they hang up their boots. If Dizzy comes good then he is a better bowler than Tait, who at this stage I just don't rate.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Ian » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:57 am

I don't think Tait has shown as much promise as he did 12 months ago, certainly not enough to warrant test selection.
I would love to see Dizzy get enough form back to warrant selection, but this late in his career I think we have seen the best of him already.
It's hard to see where Australias next #1 & #2 strike bowlers are going to come from, it's not like leggies, where we have the best 2 in the world, and MacGill can consider himself unlucky to be in an era where he is the 2nd best we have, but anywhere else in the world he would be a first pick player.
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Booney » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:36 am

Fair call on them all there mate.Jaques is the opener in waiting now that Hussey has established himself in the middle order,and I too hope the selectors have not forgotten Gillespie and I also hope they have him in the side ahead of Tait,who will make it in the future.

You may be interested to hear Rik that Tait in his injury induced absence has done some work on his action,looking to follow in the B.Lee style.Lets hope he has 'coz that back of his just wont hold up to 12 or so tests and 20 odd one-dayers a year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby scott » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:50 pm

Ian wrote:I don't think Tait has shown as much promise as he did 12 months ago, certainly not enough to warrant test selection.

He's been out injured for several months. He'll need to get back into domestic cricket for quite a while before he really starts producing the damaging form we saw last season, which I think may take a while.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby MightyEagles » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:21 pm

It's a bit hard to show promise when your injured, I look to see ian show promise when injured.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket