1st Test - Australia v West Indies - Match Thread

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

1st Test - Australia v West Indies - Match Thread

Postby scott » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:12 pm

Australian: Justin Langer, Matthew Hayden, *Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, +Adam Gilchrist, Shane Watson, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Nathan Bracken, Glenn McGrath, Stuart MacGill. (12th man to be named)

West Indian: Chris Gayle, Devon Smith, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Brian Lara, *Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Marlon Samuels, +Denesh Ramdin, Dwayne Bravo, Daren Powell, Corey Collymore, Jermaine Lawson, Fidel Edwards. (12th man and sub to be named)

Thursday November 3 to Monday November 7
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby stan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 pm

The windies have some good fast men, and it looks like that will be there go for this series. As the only spin will be from Samuals and perhaps Gayle if there desperate. Samuals provides looks alright, he took 5 for against QLD, so i mean he must be able to turn it a bit. But i cant see him being much of a threat on a possibly flat Gabba wicket.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:26 am

One wicket in Australia which is not flat is the Gabba. It will swing early, be good for batting for most of the first and all of the second day and start to take turn in the last three days of the match. The Gabba has had the best track in Australia for the last few years, according to many players.

In selection news Nathan Bracken will play in the eleven and the luckless MacGill will carry the drinks. Stewie is a bit of a wine buff so he will have had plenty of experience. Bracken has been selected on the basis of some good figures in his last three matches at this venue.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Jimmy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:32 am

I will be listening on the net, where can i find it? abc will have it maybe?

also, is hussey in, all the reports say so but not here??

Agreed REB, the windies do have some fast men but if haydos is up to scratch then their short stuff will be wasteful...they need to have it up early...be an interesting series...but i think the aussie should be too strong...i could go to the pub in downtown but the mrs wouldnt be happy... :roll:
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby SBR » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:49 am

Yep mate, should be able to listen live on ABC.

Hussey is playing, i think at the time this was posted Langer was still under a cloud, but since then Hussey has been brought and Langer is out because of last weeks injury.
SBR
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby stan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:28 am

Windies with the toss and send the aussies in. This is probably not a bad idea from chanderpaul. They have 4 fast mean, 2 of which the windies camp have claimed can unsettle the aussies. So this is not the biggest surprise and looks like he made the right choice. But then again, we all remember N.Hussain electiong to field at the Gabba.......
stan
Coach

Postby Jimmy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:51 pm

Australia 95/1 (25.0 ov)
West Indies West Indies won the toss and elected to field first

Australia RR: 3.80

Minimum overs
remaining today: 65.0
Full Scorecard

Batsmen: R B 4s 6s S/R
ML Hayden (LHB) 34 74 4 0 45.95 Striker
RT Ponting (RHB) 49 67 6 0 73.13 Non-striker

Bowlers: O M R W Econ
JJC Lawson (RFM) 6.0 0 24 0 4.00 (2nb, 0w) Vulture Street End
CD Collymore (RFM) 7 1 22 0 3.14 (0nb, 0w) Stanley Street End
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby SBR » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:10 pm

Australia struck a bit of trouble after lunch losing Hayden, Clarke and Katich but are now settled in with Punter and Gilly at the crease.

4/215

Punter - 107*
Gilly - 44*

Well done Aussies, keep it up :D
SBR
Under 16s

Postby Magpiespower » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:44 pm

Beautiful bowling by Collymore to get rid of Gilchrist first over after tea.

Even if it was a dubious decision.

Collymore's been quite impressive today.
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby stan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:19 pm

Yes i will agree with that. He bowled very well today. But some of his team mates were lacking today. Still plenty of cricket left.
stan
Coach

Postby MagicKiwi » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:57 pm

Well I was pleasantly surprised by the Windies today. An extremely interesting day's cricket. Yes Corrymore impressive considering his first over looked very shaky indeed. However, got his eye in after lunch and wham!

Fidel Edwards' Watson wicket was a highlight :twisted:
Those two had a real battle going on.

Windies a bit lax in the field when it comes to runouts - not very quick off the mark so it could be a gamble in the one-dayers of whether you risk their arm or not.

Nice way for Australia to finish the day - expect the Windies to use the new ball in the morning.
Red (and White)
Red (Backs)
All (Blacks)
MagicKiwi
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby spell_check » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:45 pm

Having only 30 minutes extra time does not make the fielding team (or batting team) play the game as normal. As demonstrated by the last two overs of the day, we had deliberate field changes, farming the wicket, approach changes, stalling etc. just so another over couldn't be bowled. West Indies (or any team guilty) should/must be penalised for that kind of over rate. Whether that be penalty runs or fines, there has to be a deterrent for this kind of stuff.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby SBR » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:03 am

The first 5-10 overs a very important tommorow, and could determine who get's a very healthy advantage going into the Windies batting. The WI impressed me early on today, even though Punter and Gilly put on that partnership, if they hadn't we'd of been in trouble, through some fantastic bowling in Collymore.

The WI are really fighting, and that's all we could ask from them. Definately in with a chance, hoping Warne and Lee can produce something special tommorow morning.
SBR
Under 16s

Postby scott » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:29 am

Does anyone get the feeling that the Windies actually look 10 times more committed this time, than their last outing about five years ago?

Well, here's hoping.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Jimmy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:13 am

Great to see punter get a ton....im a bit concerned over clarke and katich and feel that the kat is done (bring in hodge i say) and clarke should get more chances but needs a 100 (not anything less) to silence the critics....

lets get 400+ on the board and have warnie tear em a new one...but it certainly sounds as if the windies are here to play.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby SBR » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:11 pm

And you've got your wish Jimmy.

8/406

Lee - 39*
Bracken - 23*

More frustration for WI, both looking good in the centre.
SBR
Under 16s

Postby spell_check » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:40 pm

The much maligned Lee (for his no-balls and method of bowling in England) hit a mammoth six up into the top deck of the stand - square of the wicket. The ball could not be found - it may have even gone out of the ground. Next ball (with a replacement ball) he gets out. Still, 47 is a handy score for a number 9, the same score to Warne - 47, Bracken is 34 not out, with McGrath on 4. Extras is on 46, Australia is on 9/430 at lunch.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Coorong » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:43 am

Not saying Clarke is finished, but his last chance should surely be in the second innings. Got to go back to state level and force his way back into the test team. Katich.....not for me.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Jimmy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:20 am

Coorong wrote:Not saying Clarke is finished, but his last chance should surely be in the second innings. Got to go back to state level and force his way back into the test team. Katich.....not for me.

kat must go, i liked him a while ago coz of his brassy style but he has had it.....and clarke really needs a ton and to be more consistent.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby The_Bay_Boy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:51 pm

Jimmy, i agree with your thoughts about clarke needing to be more consistant. However we do need to look after the young blood in the team. Clarke is probably going to be the next captain. But like punter, when the pressure is on, he steps up and thats what clarke has to do.

i feel sorry for martyn. i think he has been very hard done by and deserves another chance.

One last comment.... I don't believe hussey should open the batting and especially on debut. you could see in the first innings he was far to nervous( and rightly so i guess). he should have him brought in further down the order.
The_Bay_Boy
Rookie

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket