BONUS GENERAL KNOWLEDGE QUIZ BEFORE NEXT SATURDAYS QUIZ

A slight rejig, all your Games and Quizzes are now here!

Re: BONUS GENERAL KNOWLEDGE QUIZ BEFORE NEXT SATURDAYS QUIZ

Postby magpie in the 80's » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:03 pm

Psyber wrote:26. Which of these is a figure of the Islamic belief system that corresponds with the Christian Satan?
A) Iblis B) Pazuzu C) Beelzebub D) Yama

INCORRECT
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:04 pm

Psyber wrote:36. At the beginning or ending of a book you will find a page that lists a book's vital information, i.e. title, author, publisher's name and address, LOC call number, etc. etc. What is this inscription called?
I thought of Frontispiece but the END....

INCORRECT
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby magpie in the 80's » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:04 pm

Psyber wrote:40. What sort of creature is a 'quahog'? Shellfish....?

CLOSE ENOUGH............CLAM
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby JAS » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:00 pm

Another day, another cuppa :lol: 'morning Mags and co

Q4 Pandemonium (? spelling)...I believe he might have actually invented the word.
Q5 The female artist with a mono-brow and a lady-mo...Selma Hyak (?spelling) played her in the movie of her life a few years ago...can't think of her bloody name...might be Freeda something. Only famous mexican I can't think of unless it's Pancho Villa :wink:
Q20 Cambrian
Q25 Only architect I can think of with an India connection is Lutyens but I'm not sure he was still alive in the 50's :?
Q37 Savonarola

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby magpie in the 80's » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:09 pm

JAS wrote:Another day, another cuppa :lol: 'morning Mags and co

Q4 Pandemonium (? spelling)...I believe he might have actually invented the word.....CORRECT
Q5 The female artist with a mono-brow and a lady-mo...Selma Hyak (?spelling) played her in the movie of her life a few years ago...can't think of her bloody name...might be Freeda something. Only famous mexican I can't think of unless it's Pancho Villa :wink: ....FRIDA IS CORRECT
Q20 Cambrian...........INCORRECT
Q25 Only architect I can think of with an India connection is Lutyens but I'm not sure he was still alive in the 50's :?...INCORRECT
Q37 Savonarola..........CORRECT

Regards
JAS

MORNING JAS :lol:
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby magpie in the 80's » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:56 pm

OK only 15Q's :shock: to answer BRAINIACS
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:06 pm

magpie in the 80's wrote: YOU'LL NEED YOUR THINKING CAPS ON FOR THIS QUIZ

1.The toe of Italy's boot, which appears to be kicking Sicily, is made up of what region? CALABRIA
2. Which of these early church fathers was the biographer of Roman emperor Constantine the Great?
A) Boethius B) Plotinus C) Eusebius D) Macrobius C) EUSEBIUS
3. Ben Jonson said of this man's work, when told that he had boasted of never correcting a single line, 'Would he had blotted out a thousand.' To whom was Jonson referring? WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
4. By what name did John Milton call the capital of hell in his 'Paradise Lost' PANDEMONIUM
5. Whose house in Coyoacan, Mexico was opened up as a museum in 1958? FRIDA KAHLO
6. The Latin name for which order of insects means 'scaly wings'? LEPIDOPTERA
7. The Big Bang theory was developed by two scientists independently. What were their surnames? LEMAITRE AND FRIEDMANN
8. The Greek term for the Jewish dispersion from the holy land is 'diaspora', but what is the Hebrew term which means 'exile'? GALUT
9. Which name of myth links Sophocles, Stravinsky and Freud? OEDIPUS
10. Which of the following anthropologists would best be classified as a 'structural anthropologist'?
A) Bronislav Malinowski B) Michel Foucault C) Claude Levi-Strauss D) Pierre Bourdeau
11. Which of the following countries is considered to be a 'perforated' state?
A) Angola B)Mongolia C) India D) South Africa D) SOUTH AFRICA
12. During which Roman emperor's reign was citizenship offered to all subjects of the empire? CARACALLA
13. We all know that Michelangelo was the painter of the Sistine Chapel ceiling. The walls of the Sistine Chapel were also painted by a number of Renaissance masters, including all but which of the following?
A) Perugino B) Ghirlandaio C) Leonardo D) Botticelli LEONARDO
14. 'Xibalba' was the underworld (hell) in the myth system of which of the following ancient cultures?
A) Mayan B) Chinese C) Sumerian D) Khmer A) MAYAN
15. The 'click languages' associated with the Bushmen of Southern Africa are part of which language family? KHOISAN
16. What is the term for the men who summon Muslims to prayer in the cities of the Islamic world? MUEZZIN
17. The first enzyme to be discovered was diastase, but which French chemist made this fortunate discovery? ANSELME PAYEN
18. What is the term for a plant that grows upon another plant but does not act as a parasite? EPIPHYTE
19. Which part of the ear derives its name from the Latin word for 'wing'? PINNA
20. During which geological period of the Palaeozoic Era did the first vertebrates begin to appear? ORDOVICIAN
21. Balsamic vinegar is officially produced in two small provinces of the Emilia-Ramagna region of Italy. What are these two provinces called? MODENA AND REGGIO
22. The extinct 'aurochs' is the ancestor of what modern domesticated farm animal? COW
23. Which of the following languages is most closely related to English in terms of language origins?
A) Finnish B) Turkish C) Hebrew D) Hindi HINDI
24. Who was the oldest poet to be appointed poet laureate of England? WILLIAM WORDSWORTH
25. Chandigarh, the joint capital of the Haryana and Punjab states of India, was laid out by what by what world famous architect in the 1950s? LE CORBUSIER
26. Which of these is a figure of the Islamic belief system that corresponds with the Christian Satan?
A) Iblis B) Pazuzu C) Beelzebub D) Yama
27. What Hindu bathing festival is held every 12 years on the banks of the Godavari River? PUSHKARAM
28. One of the members of the Surrealist art movement was also the most well-known artist ever to come out of Cuba, but which? WILFREDO LAM
29. The words 'physiology' and 'pathology' were introduced in the medical sciences by which of the following individuals?
A) Visalius B) Jean Helmont C) William Harvey D) Jean Fernel
30. Which of these chemical elements was named for a city in Asia Minor (now Turkey)?
A) Niobium B) Magnesium C) Phosphorous D) Promethium B) MAGNESIUM
31. Hans and Zacharias Janssen, Johannes Kepler and Ernst Ruska are all names attached to the invention process for what scientific instrument? MICROSCOPE
32. What is the term for Jewish dietary laws? KASHRUT
33. This successor to Austrian Emperor Charles VI reigned during both the War of the Austrian Succession and the 7-years war. Which ruler are we discussing here? MARIA THERESA
34. What is the term for the symbol of the eye of Horus? UDJAT
35. Which of these is not the name of a small island off the coast of Puerto Rico?
A) Ponce B) Culebra C) Vieques D) Mona
36. At the beginning or ending of a book you will find a page that lists a book's vital information, i.e. title, author, publisher's name and address, LOC call number, etc. etc. What is this inscription called? COLOPHON
37. The name of Tom Wolfe's hit 1988 book 'Bonfire of the Vanities' was drawn from real life events involving what historical figure? SAVONAROLA
38. Your pancreas secrets a hormone called insulin that helps to control the level of glucose in your blood stream. The pancreas also produces another hormone that has the opposite effect, that is to increase the concentration of glucose in the blood. What is this hormone, antagonistic to insulin, called? GLUCAGON
39. Ayers Rock in Australia is the world's largest free standing monolith. The Aboriginal Australians have a different name for the rock, Uluru. What does the name 'Uluru' mean in the Aboriginal language? GIANT PEBBLE
40. What sort of creature is a 'quahog'? A CLAM

QUESTIONS ANSWERED ARE IN RED.
QUESTIONS UNANSWERED ARE IN BLUE.

END OF QUIZ :D
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Games and Quiz Forum