AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER QUIZ

A slight rejig, all your Games and Quizzes are now here!

AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER QUIZ

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:46 pm

1. Who was Australia's first Prime Minister?EDMUND BARTON

2. Sir Robert G Menzies was the ______ Prime Minister to serve non-consecutive terms? 3RD

1st
3rd
2nd
4th

3. What unusual middle name did Earle Page have? CHRISTMAS

4. Harold Holt was the _____ Prime Minister to die in office? 3RD

3rd
1st
2nd
4th

5. How did John Gorton's term in office end?RESIGNED AFTER BEING VOTED OUT BY HIS PARTY

6. Which Australian Prime Minister served the shortest term?FRANCIS FORDE

7. Who was the first Australian Prime Minister to serve for more than 10 years?ROBERT MENZIES

8. How many Prime Ministers did Australia have in the first 100 years of federation?25

9. Which Labor Prime Minister gave the famous "light on the hill" speech?BEN CHIFLEY

10. Which of the following laws were NOT passed by the first Whitlam ministry?

Abolition of tertiary fees (i.e. free education)
Universal, free health insurance
Abolition of conscription
Establishment of Legal Aid (i.e. free lawyers for poor people)
Last edited by magpie in the 80's on Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Thiele » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:14 pm

1. Edmond Barton
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:18 pm

[quote="Thiele"]1. Edmond Barton....CORRECT
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Re: AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER QUIZ

Postby PhilG » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:58 pm

Last edited by PhilG on Thu May 17, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhilG

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:09 pm

[quote="PhilG"]4. Harold Holt was the _1st_ Prime Minister to die in office?..incorrect

5. How did John Gorton's term in office end? [color=red]His own party voted him out in favour of Billy McMahon..correct

7. Who was the first Australian Prime Minister to serve for more than 10 years? [color=red]Sir Robert Menzies..correct

[color=red]Abolition of tertiary fees (i.e. free education)..incorrect
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby am Bays » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:16 pm

magpie in the 80's wrote:1. Who was Australia's first Prime Minister?EDMUND BARTON

2. Sir Robert G Menzies was the ______ Prime Minister to serve non-consecutive terms?

1st
3rd
2nd
4th

3rd (Deakin & Fisher)

3. What unusual middle name did Earle Page have?

4. Harold Holt was the _____ Prime Minister to die in office?

3rd
1st
2nd
4th

3rd (Lyons & Curtin the 1st)

5. How did John Gorton's term in office end?RESIGNED AFTER BEING VOTED OUT BY HIS PARTY

6. Which Australian Prime Minister served the shortest term?

Frank Forde (3 days I think after the death of Curtin)

7. Who was the first Australian Prime Minister to serve for more than 10 years?ROBERT MENZIES

8. How many Prime Ministers did Australia have in the first 100 years of federation? 25

9. Which Labor Prime Minister gave the famous "light on the hill" speech?

Ben Chifely

Abolition of tertiary fees (i.e. free education)
Universal, free health insurance
Abolition of conscription
Establishment of Legal Aid (i.e. free lawyers for poor people)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:23 pm

1980 tassie

q2 correct
q4 correct
q6 correct
q8 correct
q9 correct
Last edited by magpie in the 80's on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby am Bays » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:30 pm

MAgpies in the 80s

Q 2 Apart from Fisher, Deakin and Menzies who are the other PMs to serve multiple terms ( I originally thoght Hughes had too but went and checked it on australianpolitics.com.

Q4 apart from Lyons 1939 and Curtin 1945 who are the other PMs to have died in office???
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:36 pm

1980 TASSIE

MY MISTAKE BOTH QUESTIONS CORRECT :oops:
SHOULDN'T WORK IN THE DARK :roll:
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:07 pm

#3 - Is Christmas Grafton (Grafton after his home town and christmas because his parents were mad :P )

#5 - Gorton actually had the deciding vote and voted himself out.

#10 - I'm pretty sure that Menzies and not Whitlam was responsible for the abolition of tertiary fees but I'll take your word for it. Maybe free legal aid wasn't introduced until Whitlam's second ministry?

Here's a couple for you -

Which Australian PM was born in Chile?

Why was George Reid's ministry unique?
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:26 pm

[quote="Leaping Lindner"]#3 - Is Christmas Grafton (Grafton after his home town and christmas because his parents were mad :P )...CORRECT ON CHRISTMAS

#5 - Gorton actually had the deciding vote and voted himself out.THTA ALSO IS VERY TRUE

#10 - I'm pretty sure that Menzies and not Whitlam was responsible for the abolition of tertiary fees but I'll take your word for it. Maybe free legal aid wasn't introduced until Whitlam's second ministry?...CORRECT AGAIN ON MENZIES. I HAVN'T GIVEN AN ANSWER FOR Q10 ONLY PHILG HAS AND IT WAS INCORRECT

Which Australian PM was born in Chile?..WATSON

Why was George Reid's ministry unique?...SOMETHING TO DO WITH BEING THE 1ST FREE TRADERS?
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:41 pm

magpie in the 80's wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:#3 - Is Christmas Grafton (Grafton after his home town and christmas because his parents were mad :P )...CORRECT ON CHRISTMAS

#5 - Gorton actually had the deciding vote and voted himself out.THTA ALSO IS VERY TRUE

#10 - I'm pretty sure that Menzies and not Whitlam was responsible for the abolition of tertiary fees but I'll take your word for it. Maybe free legal aid wasn't introduced until Whitlam's second ministry?...CORRECT AGAIN ON MENZIES. I HAVN'T GIVEN AN ANSWER FOR Q10 ONLY PHILG HAS AND IT WAS INCORRECT

Why was George Reid's ministry unique?...SOMETHING TO DO WITH BEING THE 1ST FREE TRADERS?

Indeed Watson was born in Chile and IIRC his father was German and never naturalised and as such Watson himself was never techinically a "Citizen of the Empire" and thus should never have been PM. I think that's the story.

Reid's ministry was the first Labor ministry in the world and he was the first Labor PM. Didn't last long though!
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:52 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
magpie in the 80's wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:#3 - Is Christmas Grafton (Grafton after his home town and christmas because his parents were mad :P )...CORRECT ON CHRISTMAS

Indeed Watson was born in Chile and IIRC his father was German and never naturalised and as such Watson himself was never techinically a "Citizen of the Empire" and thus should never have been PM. I think that's the story.

Reid's ministry was the first Labor ministry in the world and he was the first Labor PM. Didn't last long though!
ABOUT 11 MONTHS I THINK?
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby mick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:01 pm

I actually think there has never been a law to ABOLISH conscription passed by Whitlam. I think conscription was suspended. I had friends whose number came up and they received letters saying their intake into the army had been deferred or something like that, it seemed to suggest if conscription was activated again they would be called up. Well they are all over 50 now, so I suppose that won't happen :lol:

PS. LL is right John Gorton effectively voted himself out with his casting vote
mick
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time

Board index   General Talk  Games and Quiz Forum