CHEATERS

Winter and Summer

CHEATERS

Postby mal » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:07 pm

CHEATERS is a TV programme.
For those who have not seen CHEATERS it is not about the Olympic Games.
The Olympic Games should be re-named the OLYMPIC SHAMES.
There are too many athletes getting sprung on performance enhancing substances.
I cant be bothered watching this crapp.

Aristotle,Plato,and Hippocrates would be turning in thier graves.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1173 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: CHEATERS

Postby bayman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:27 pm

mal wrote:CHEATERS is a TV programme.
The Olympic Games should be re-named the OLYMPIC SHAMES.
There are too many athletes getting sprung on performance enhancing substances.
I cant be bothered watching this crapp.

Aristotle,Plato,and Hippocrates would be turning in thier graves.

not all athletes are on 'the juice' but they tarnish it for the rest so perhaps there should be a 'drug olympics'

for those that don't think it is a problem have a look at some of the athletes that 'performed' for east germany & also what happened to 'flo jo'

mal, do the form as they are betting on it :wink:
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby JAS » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:35 pm

Mal...no having a go but sadly these days you could say the same about every sport...even Aussie Rules wouldn't be exempt and anything involving the ponies has always had a problem but I'll bet you still watch them. The global nature of the Olympics ensures that the incidents of drug cheating get global media coverage which doesn't always happen with other sports.

For me I think it would be an insult to the honest athletes to refuse to watch because of a few highly publicised DH's just as I think it would on the grounds that I oppose China's actions in Tibet...the honest ones shouldn't be punished because of the actions of others and whether or not I watch on tv will make no difference whatsoever to either the number of cheats or the politics of China.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Postby Squawk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:01 pm

Is Cheaters shooting some episodes in the Olympic Village this year Mal? :lol:
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:02 am

Squawk wrote:

Is Cheaters shooting some episodes in the Olympic Village this year Mal? :lol:

That would make great TV. The Village in the last few days of the games is almost a sex fest.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby mal » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:21 am

It didnt take long
The Advertiser front page 28/07/08 had this:

DRUGS WILL HARM GAMES

I have quoted the following from the front page article

An overwhelming majority of Australias Olympic athletes believe the Beijing Games
will be tainted by drug cheating

An exclusive poll of our Olympic team reveals 3 in 4 believe athletes will be taking
illegal performance enhancing drugs at next months Games

:shock:
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1173 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby JAS » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:49 am

The Americans have been stripped of ANOTHER medal won in Sydney...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 538654.stm

The United States men's 4x400m relay team have been stripped of the gold medals won at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.........

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:49 pm

as well as jessica hardy the american swimmer is out of the games.

American Jessica Hardy, one of Leisel Jones' few legitimate rivals, has pulled out of the Olympics by opting not to appeal her doping ban before next week's Beijing Games.

The US Anti-Doping Agency said the Californian breaststroker had made the decision for the good of the national team.

USADA said Hardy agreed to a ruling banning her for two years for testing positive for prohibited anabolic agent Clenbuterol with the provision she can "come back to the panel to present evidence which could reduce her period of ineligibility".
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:38 pm

JAS wrote:Mal...no having a go but sadly these days you could say the same about every sport...even Aussie Rules wouldn't be exempt and anything involving the ponies has always had a problem but I'll bet you still watch them. The global nature of the Olympics ensures that the incidents of drug cheating get global media coverage which doesn't always happen with other sports.

For me I think it would be an insult to the honest athletes to refuse to watch because of a few highly publicised DH's just as I think it would on the grounds that I oppose China's actions in Tibet...the honest ones shouldn't be punished because of the actions of others and whether or not I watch on tv will make no difference whatsoever to either the number of cheats or the politics of China.

Regards
JAS
Yeah - all that thinning hair on guys in their twenties and the problems they have controlling their aggression and impulsiveness, make me think "Anabolic Steroids".
Of course we could try to explain it as increased Testosterone due to massive training, but it doesn't convince me, nasty cynic that I am... :(
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby am Bays » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Can anyone tell em the difference between ingesting Bicarbonate or coke before or during an event - allows the body to buffer lactic acid and thereby reduce teh effect of faigue and allows the body to produce more work and,

the ingestion of steroids to which also reduces the effect of fatigue and allows the body to do more work...

One is legal one is not....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1833 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:57 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Can anyone tell em the difference between ingesting Bicarbonate or coke before or during an event - allows the body to buffer lactic acid and thereby reduce teh effect of faigue and allows the body to produce more work and,

the ingestion of steroids to which also reduces the effect of fatigue and allows the body to do more work...

One is legal one is not....

Well, first, bicarbonate ions, usually as sodium bicarbonate, are mildly alkaline and, as you say, will buffer any acid including Lactic Acid, because the bicarbonate ion mops up the loose hydrogen ions releasing water and CO2 in an equilibrating reaction as in normal physiology. Coke [and I assume you mean Coca Cola as you said "legal"] is moderately acidic and doesn't buffer acids including Lactic Acid - it is source of more hydrogen ions. It does, however, contain lots of sugar [at least standard coke does] which is a quick energy source, and some caffiene which is, in the doses present, a mild cardio-respiratory stimulant, much like coffee. Too much of either of them will cause temporary electrolyte imbalance and impair performance. Using them is in some way and extension of eating and drinking as these things are also in food and water.

Neither of them, however, alter your body physiology in any but a transitory manner, and certain don't alter your hormone balance or increase your muscle development beyond what is normally possible, change your physiology in a more lasting way, or alter your mood substantially, potentially making you dangerous to be around.

Will that do for a start off the top of my head.... :wink:
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Thiele » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:37 pm

we have our first Drug cheat for the games a Spanish Cyclist http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/beij ... 24,00.html
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Postby rooburger » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:10 pm

:shock: does Trickett look huge or what???
A Champion Sets The Bar!
A Bar Brings The Champion Down!
rooburger
Under 18s

Postby Tassie Blues » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:35 am

rooburger wrote::shock: does Trickett look huge or what???

She wouldnt be silly enough to be on the gear. if she is and got cought she would have to leave Australia the media would chase her so much.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby JAS » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Found this posted today on the BBC live text...

1055: BREAKING NEWS... Lyudmila Blonska is stripped of her heptathlon silver medal after testing positive for a banned steroid. She is also kicked out of the long jump final. American Hyleas Fountain will now move up to silver medal position in the heptathlon, with Russia's Tatiana Chernova taking the bronze. Britain's Kelly Sotherton moves up to fourth.

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby magpie in the 80's » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:58 pm

i read that somewhere before and one athlete from that competition said that none of the girls had sympathy for her because she has been suspended before for doping
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby JAS » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:07 pm

magpie in the 80's wrote:i read that somewhere before and one athlete from that competition said that none of the girls had sympathy for her because she has been suspended before for doping

In that case I hope she gets life ban with life meaning just that.

Name 'em, shame 'em and kill their career stone dead

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby magpie in the 80's » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:11 pm

the event finished last sat. and her team mate won the gold medal but didnt want anything to do with her on the night and only congratulated the american. then all the girls from the heptathlon came onto the track, held hands and went around waving to the crowd as one group. well done i thought
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Postby The Big Shrek » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:23 pm

mal wrote:Aristotle,Plato,and Hippocrates would be turning in thier graves.

What did these three have to do with the olympics? Just the fact that they are Greek? Let's add some more grave turners, Pythagoras, Archimedes Alex Dimitriadis...
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 367 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Psyber wrote:
1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Neither of them, however, alter your body physiology in any but a transitory manner, and certain don't alter your hormone balance or increase your muscle development beyond what is normally possible, change your physiology in a more lasting way, or alter your mood substantially, potentially making you dangerous to be around.

Will that do for a start off the top of my head.... :wink:

I agree it is only in a transitory manner and as you point out the alkaline nature of Bicarbonate can give an athlete a temporary advantage in events where high lactate is produced and to maintain teh blood pH at an level that allows aerobic power energy production to still occur. I'll have to find the reference for you psyber but a lot of work done in the late 80s and early 90s researching this.

caffeine IIRc helps prime beta oxidation (break down of fatty acids for energy production) so alte in an event where carbohydrate stores are low it can help maintain an energy substrate for ATP production. As you said the carbohydrate is also used for anaerobic energy production in teh sprint phase.

As Psyber both bicarbonate and coke advantages are only temporary but the temporary advantage can be the difference between medals and nothing. The same advantage steroids give you but arguably not to the same extent - however there are definate performance enhancement benefits.

As i said the question remains - why should these be legal and steroids illegal???
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1833 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics