TV Coverage by Channel 7

Winter and Summer

Re: TV Coverage by Channel 7

Postby Keefy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Had to have a laugh yesterday when reading the TV guide from the Sunday Mail.

Here we are all complaining about the lack of coverage of certain sports and how they show so much of stuff that people aren't really interested in.

One bloke has written into whatever column it is called (won letter of the week), complaining about how much coverage there has been of the Olympics. From it taking up air time of 2 channels and the saturation of it on the radio.

Sound like he's missing HOme and Away.
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Magpiespower » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:50 am

Last night Boomers coverage was a debacle!

Yum Cha is a debacle!

C7 is a debacle!

Save for Bruce calling the athletics.

Pure class.
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Dirko » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:45 am

What I can't work out is surely Channel 7 would want to maximise ALL sports coverage, and yet they have 4 channels (digital) showing the same stuff...

Why didn't they last night for example show the Softball on one & the Boomers on another ?

Got the technology, and yet they refuse to use it... :evil:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Butters » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:18 pm

SJABC wrote:What I can't work out is surely Channel 7 would want to maximise ALL sports coverage, and yet they have 4 channels (digital) showing the same stuff...

Why didn't they last night for example show the Softball on one & the Boomers on another ?

Got the technology, and yet they refuse to use it... :evil:

Completely agree!!!!
Butters
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby magpie in the 80's » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:30 pm

i was reading somewhere on the beijing olympic website where china was covering the games on 6 channels locally and the complaints that came in made them add 3 more channels to cover more of the events
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Thiele » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Way behind in the Water Polo
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby BenchedEagle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:33 am

Semi final Vs Spain right now. Barely covered. I look forward to the games every 4 years, but i have been so let down by 7. After the games im gonna delete 7 off my digital box!
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby Thiele » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 am

Why doesn't seven show Hooker live what a ******* disgrace when he going for :evil: :evil: :evil:

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Postby Dirko » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:40 am

Thiele wrote:Why doesn't seven show Hooker live what a f****** disgrace when he going for :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah mob of ******* assholes..... :evil:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby matho72 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:48 pm

Sounds like 7 are doing what they do best, not much. In fairness at least you are seeing the events as they happen, here in the USA, NBC showed the Opening Ceremony in delay of about 15 hours so it could be in 'Prime Time' and as I live in California and we are 3 hours behind New York we having been getting everything in delay, when Pheleps, Rice, etc were winning gold on the first night of swimming we had on a LA Gossip show. I asked a few of the US guys I work with what they thought and didn't seem to worry them as they said they are use to having it happen.

In 2004 when I was deployed to Middle East I saw a fair bit of the BBC coverage and would rate it better then NBC's but about the same 7's, I did find it very funny how they kept wrapping up the UK athletes only to see them fail time and time again, but it looks like the Poms have turned it around and have done really well this time.
matho72
Mini-League

Postby Thiele » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:04 am

Another gold for Australia missed by seven

Thiele
Coach

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:07 am

Thiele wrote:Another gold for Australia missed by seven

mathew mitcham takes gold with a 112 + final dive just as c7 go to the start of the last round :roll:
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Thiele » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:07 am

magpie in the 80's wrote:
Thiele wrote:Another gold for Australia missed by seven

mathew mitcham takes gold with a 112 + final dive just as c7 go to the start of the last round :roll:

what a joke

Thiele
Coach

Postby Interceptor » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Worst coverage ever.

7 have consistently treated the viewers with pure contempt.

Hope they don't get the games again for a long, long time.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Squawk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:06 am

Contempt is appropriate to describe their coverage. Shocking to say the least.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby drebin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 am

I happen to have 2 close friends who are both Senior Producers for C7 - 1 here in Adelaide and the other interstate. My anger at the coverage early in the games led me to being supplied an email address for C7 in Sydney through my contacts so I "loaded up" and gave it to them both barrels. As I mentioned on another thread I got a phone call in response to my email from a very Senior C7 Programming person who proceded to try and debate my complaints. I sent a further 2 emails (one from my work email address) by the end of the first week but both bounced back. I then found out through my contacts that I was "blocked" in sending the emails as apparently were many others who also had access to certain C7 email addresses. I then resorted to ringing up the complaints number continually out of sheer anger and frustration at their pathetic coverage. Whilst it didn't much matter what I or others complaned about it at least I got it off my chest!

I found out last night that C7 were overwhelmed (and shocked!) with the volume of complaints they received and that a number of temp staff drafted in to "man" the feedback call lines all got up and quit by the end of week one. However in an interstate debrief over the record number of complaints about the coverage, a number of Senior C7 personnel who also voiced their support re the complaints were told that the Australian sporting public are "Morons" and have no feel for a dynamic modern fluid world class sporting broadcast that C7 provided. Doesn't that sum up the ignorance and arrogance of the C7 Execs and Management and Squawk summed it up correctly - contempt and shocking!
drebin

Postby rod_rooster » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:06 am

drebin wrote:I happen to have 2 close friends who are both Senior Producers for C7 - 1 here in Adelaide and the other interstate. My anger at the coverage early in the games led me to being supplied an email address for C7 in Sydney through my contacts so I "loaded up" and gave it to them both barrels. As I mentioned on another thread I got a phone call in response to my email from a very Senior C7 Programming person who proceded to try and debate my complaints. I sent a further 2 emails (one from my work email address) by the end of the first week but both bounced back. I then found out through my contacts that I was "blocked" in sending the emails as apparently were many others who also had access to certain C7 email addresses. I then resorted to ringing up the complaints number continually out of sheer anger and frustration at their pathetic coverage. Whilst it didn't much matter what I or others complaned about it at least I got it off my chest!

I found out last night that C7 were overwhelmed (and shocked!) with the volume of complaints they received and that a number of temp staff drafted in to "man" the feedback call lines all got up and quit by the end of week one. However in an interstate debrief over the record number of complaints about the coverage, a number of Senior C7 personnel who also voiced their support re the complaints were told that the Australian sporting public are "Morons" and have no feel for a dynamic modern fluid world class sporting broadcast that C7 provided. Doesn't that sum up the ignorance and arrogance of the C7 Execs and Management and Squawk summed it up correctly - contempt and shocking!

I am still laughing at that. Funniest thing i have heard in a long time. :lol: :lol:

Really the stupid thing is even if it were true that the Australian sporting public were "morons" who exactly do C7 think will be watching? Surely they would design there coverage to appeal to the people (morons) who they want to watch. If their "dynamic modern fluid world cast sporting broadcast" (have to take a break, laughing too hard to type) is not what the "morons" want why go ahead with it? All they achieved was alienating the very people they were trying to attract to their broadcast. Stupidity and ignorance of the higest order. All the execs are trying to do is deflect attention from their own incompetance and it isn't working.

Thanks god that's the last time C7 will be showing the Olympics. As Sam Newman said all C9 have to do is get the coverage half right in 2012 and they will be so far ahead of what C7 dished up it won't be funny.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times

Postby drebin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned on this site but certainly on bigfooty's olympic thread it has but it appears we will get the following coverage during the 2012 Games:

Channel 9 - 1 free to air "normal" coverage plus addtional coverage of different events live and replays on 3 digital channels.

Foxtel - 8 different channels again televising completely different events over 24 hours. My mail is that we will get all team sport games / matches regardless of the countries playing in full live or as near to as possible given the schedules across the different sports plus full replays for those who can't watch live. This will obviously be offered at a price as an additional package.

If this does turn out to be the level of coverage on offer (much as the rest of the world got this time around) then we should ensure that C7 is never allowed near major sporting events again!
drebin

Postby rod_rooster » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:37 pm

That sounds exactly as the coverage should be.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:52 pm

drebin wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned on this site but certainly on bigfooty's olympic thread it has but it appears we will get the following coverage during the 2012 Games:

Channel 9 - 1 free to air "normal" coverage plus addtional coverage of different events live and replays on 3 digital channels.

Foxtel - 8 different channels again televising completely different events over 24 hours. My mail is that we will get all team sport games / matches regardless of the countries playing in full live or as near to as possible given the schedules across the different sports plus full replays for those who can't watch live. This will obviously be offered at a price as an additional package.

If this does turn out to be the level of coverage on offer (much as the rest of the world got this time around) then we should ensure that C7 is never allowed near major sporting events again!

Channel 9 will do it exactly the way 7 did it. They are in the business of maximinsing ratings, not giving the viewer what they want.

edit: 30 seconds after I posted this, I was watching the cricket on Channel 9, and they missed a wicket because they tried to squeeze in an extra commercial. Did they stay with hte action? No, they just went off for another commercial. Don't expect that one commercial channel will do things any differently to the other. They have the same priorities.

I was laughing at SEN criticising Channel 7 for telling people that an event will be coming up but not saying when .. thus, making the viewer hang on. The funny thing is, SEN do exactly the same thing.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics