If you ruled the.....IOC

Winter and Summer

Re: If you ruled the.....IOC

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:23 pm

JAS wrote:I would keep/introduce:
Baseball (see softball)nah, dump it, really don't like baseball - bring in basketball based on Matt Stone and Trey Parker's movie
Softball (wasn't Aus v Jap exciting enough) (see baseball)
Rugby sevens (because I said so)rugby - boring!
20/20 cricket (ideal format for the Olympics)great idea
Netball (they got basketball...what's wrong with netball)agree only because it's a chance to win a medal ahead of US, China, Russia, etc

I would dump:
Soccer (because I said so...might consider allowing 5-a-side to stop the whingers)nnnoooooooooooooo, anyway, it's called football :lol:
Synchronized swimming (oh please)agree, this 'sport' is ridiculous
BMX (it's just showing off on a bike...might as well bring in skatboarding and rollerblading)I actually think this is a good way of getting the 'stabbing' crowd interested, so keep it
Rhythmic gymnastics (it's dancing and clever bending with ribbons)gone - see synch swimming
Windsurfing (I dated a windsurfer once...it's boring)replace with kite surfing!
Beach volleyball (put the men in Speedo's and it's a maybe...otherwise it's just there to increase tissue sales :roll: )MUST KEEP - maybe it could be sponsored by durex instead.

PLUS:
In's:

Formula 1 or some form of motorsport.
XC mountain biking.
Ironman

Dump:

All shooting - FFS dumb, boring, stupid 'sport'
Agree with ss - but cut all horse riding events
Volleyball
Badminton
Walking - gimme a break
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby JAS » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:29 pm

oooooh DA I hadn't thought of motorsport :lol:

How about that A1 (think thats what it's called) where the cars are all identical in everyway, build, weight, performance etc and it really is down to the skill of the driver ??? Could maybe have speedway too for the bikers.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Interceptor » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Get rid of walking events.

They all break the rules, it's just a matter of whether they're caught or not.
Medals for Australia or not, it's a ridiculous sport.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Grahaml » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:02 pm

I have no problem with any of the sports that are in the olympics. They all demand excellence and while we mightn't like some of them, they are massively popular in other countries.

I don't like motorsport being there. I think it's too prohibitive for all countries to be able to compete. Sure, some sports require a lot of money (equestrian for example) but not that much money that motorsport needs. There are so many forms of motorsport (open wheel, touring car, motorcycling, rally et cetera) that deciding which to use would favour one country over another unfairly. Nascar would favour the yanks, F1 the europeans, rally the europeans and in all the poor asian and african countries would be left miles behind. It's also too easy to win by investing more money into technology and support crew.

Perhaps cricket and Rugby (real rugby not 7s. Do it properly or not at all IMHO) can feature because I see no reason why we can't expand the olympics more and more. The money made means it's viable and clever programming can make a longer event more appealing. I think athletics needs to be strung out more. Let's face it, athletics is the number 1, so let's feature more of it. The guy who won the 110 hurdles is one of the greats but I think he was ignored too much. By elongating the athletics events to stretch over a few more days I think we can make more of events like we already do with the 100, 200, 400 and the relay events. The gaps that might appear can be covered by more events in other disciplines IMHO.

However, any sport that is not "elite" should be culled. The olympics should be about seeing who is the best. Not the best outside the best, or the best under 23s. The IOC should negotiate with FIFA and the other big world team sports to figure out a way to get the best out there, or cut the sport. Having the olympics as the contest for the under 23 soccer teams plus a few older hacks is not what the olympics are all about IMHO.

On another note, if I was in charge of a network I would attempt to reduce the talk and endless replays of selected events. The web offers a brilliant way of letting people see the events they want to whenever they want. Sure, show replays, but how many times do we need to see McLellan or Rice win? If I need to see it again then I'll be more than happy to look it up. Setting up a great web site to show footage of all Aussie medallists and other selected events should be easy as anything. Instead, I'd try to show every aussie competing. Live if possible, but at least show snippets of even the ones who go out in round 1 of the wrestling at some point. And the fact that I didn't see anything of the sailing until the medals were basically decided was a little disappointing. Maybe they showed some of those events, but not to the extent I would have liked to. Showing some of each sport, showing every Aussie in action and setting up a decent website would be the 3 things I would do first. Then I'd talk to SBS and work out how to complement each other rather than force SBS into showing things hours later and sports that 7 don't even show. Having said that, though, I've actually really enjoyed watching the USA men's volleyball team. SBS have done well IMHO to follow a team's fortunes like that rather than jump on once it looks like something might happen.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Psyber » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:57 pm

I'd scrap all ball games, make the archers use traditional bows without bits sticking out you couldn't carry through the scrub or forest or on a horse, and go back to the requirement the participants all be amateurs... BMX can go too - what comes next Olympic X-Box playing!

Amateur status being required should get rid of a lot of the bribery and corruption about who gets the games, which country spends most getting the medals, and reduce drug use 'cos they'd have to pay for them themselves!

Then instead of financing Olympic "stars" countries like Australia could put the money into school sport programmes where it would do more lasting good.

Ohh and I'd be thrown off the committee fast for interfering in their cash and perks flow! :wink:

EDIT: PS. Synchronised Swimming goes - unless combined with the shooting perhaps.... :twisted:
Last edited by Psyber on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics