Who is the King

Winter and Summer

Who is the King

Postby Thiele » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:43 am

Who is the King of these Olympics Bolt or Phelps
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Who is the King

Postby JAS » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:45 am

Probably a dead heat but purely on the grounds that I personally prefer track to pool....Usain Bolt

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dirko » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:46 am

Bolt.

Every country runs, not every country swims...
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Thiele » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:47 am

Bolt

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Postby rod_rooster » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:10 am

Needs a poll. Bolt for me.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:12 am

Phelps by about 5 gold medals i would say no contest really no matter what sport 8 gold is a very big Olympic effort
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby rod_rooster » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:19 am

Tassie Blues wrote:Phelps by about 5 gold medals i would say no contest really no matter what sport 8 gold is a very big Olympic effort

Give Bolt another 5 races of similar distance where he has to run backwards, skip, somersault then sprint and he'd win those too. No comparison really. Bolt is the far superior athlete. Not taking anything away from Phelps because he is one of the all time greats but Bolt is just in another dimension.
rod_rooster
Coach

Postby rod_rooster » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:20 am

Anyway it's a silly question. Steve Hooker is the king of the games now :D :D \:D/ \:D/
rod_rooster
Coach

Postby Thiele » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:22 am

rod_rooster wrote:Anyway it's a silly question. Steve Hooker is the king of the games now :D :D \:D/ \:D/

yes he is

Thiele
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:22 am

Bolt then daylight
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2059 times
Been liked: 3912 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby rod_rooster » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:24 am

Wedgie wrote:Bolt then daylight

Just as he won each race.
rod_rooster
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:02 pm

Bolt - Yanks aren't allowed to be Kings! :wink:
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 393 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:44 pm

My sense of history always dictates that the "king" of the Olympics is the winner of the Marathon.

However, the athlete of the Olympics is undoubtedly Bolt. As someone else said, come up with a few other events where he could run in different styles, he'd win them as well. I've always thought it a little ridiculous that someone can be able to win 8 gold medals at the same Olympics when he only competes in one sport.

The people in team sports must wonder what it's all about. A guy swims up and down a pool ... gold medal. Comes out an hour later, swins up and down the pool .. another gold medal. The team sports are out there for 2 weeks having to win a number of games just to compete for ONE medal.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby Tassie Blues » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Psyber wrote:Bolt - Yanks aren't allowed to be Kings! :wink:

i think that why most people are saying Bolt. If Phelps was Canadian and Bolt a yank whould Bolt still be king?

If Bolt is so good why didnt he go in the Long Jump like the great sprinter Lewis and Owens?
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby rod_rooster » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:47 pm

Tassie Blues wrote:

If Phelps was Canadian and Bolt a yank whould Bolt still be king?

Yes. Phelps has a huge advantage being able to swim in so many different styles.

Tassie Blues wrote:If Bolt is so good why didnt he go in the Long Jump like the great sprinter Lewis and Owens?

Because he isn't Lewis or Owens. No-one is arguing whether he is as good as Lewis or Owens the question is who is the best athlete of this Olympics. Phelps, as good as he is, just simply has not captured the imagination of the public like Bolt has.

Usain Bolt, King of the 2008 Olympic Games.
rod_rooster
Coach

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Tassie Blues wrote:
Psyber wrote:If Bolt is so good why didnt he go in the Long Jump like the great sprinter Lewis and Owens?

Or the pole vault maybe ... or even sycronised swimming perhaps? He didn't enter the sailing or the table tennis either .. you're right ... Bolt must be a dud!!!!! :roll:
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:28 pm

SJABC wrote:Bolt.

Every country runs, not every country swims...

I tend to agree with this rationale. Winning the most gold medals doesn't mean you are necessarily the best. Phelps is certainly one of the greatest athletes of all time though...

Greatest athlete of all time is a toss up between Carl Lewis or Paavo Nurmi... The time period between some of Nurmi's finals was incredible, but I'd slightly lean towards Lewis... He could run and jump. I think Lewis probably participated in a more 'professional' and competitive era too...
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Tassie Blues wrote:

i think that why most people are saying Bolt. If Phelps was Canadian and Bolt a yank whould Bolt still be king?

If Bolt is so good why didnt he go in the Long Jump like the great sprinter Lewis and Owens?

I think Bolt could win at Long Jump if he wanted too... He's so young, he could compete at the next two games.
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Hondo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:43 pm

rod_rooster wrote:Phelps, as good as he is, just simply has not captured the imagination of the public like Bolt has.

I think this sums up why people feel the need to do this comparison. Phelps has the runs on the board in terms of most medals yet we want to find someone else to be our champion of the games. Phelps just isn't a popular winner. But this shouldn't be a popularity contest.

IMO, both have done outstanding things in their events. Yes, Phelps has had more opportunities for medals, but he still had to do the deed 8 times. Plenty of others have gone in multiple events, particularly in the pool. No-one has basically won everything they have competed in .... other than Bolt.

Bolt has the charisma, Bolt is the underdog from the small country. Phelps is the quiet achiever and he's from the USA. But has Bolt been any more dominant in his field than Phelps? I don't reckon.

I call it even let's applaud both and not try to rank them.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Hondo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:07 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:The people in team sports must wonder what it's all about. A guy swims up and down a pool ... gold medal. Comes out an hour later, swins up and down the pool .. another gold medal. The team sports are out there for 2 weeks having to win a number of games just to compete for ONE medal.

So does that count against Bolt as well? Using your logic, Bolt just runs a couple of sprints and gets 2 medals for about 5 minutes work across the whole games?

As for team sports - the reserve who gets 5 minutes game time gets a gold medal same as the star of the team.

Really, you could argue about every medallist once you start trying to compare different events. That's before people start picking their favourite events or who they like better or who was more gracious - it becomes never-ending speculation.

As I said in my last post - all anyone can do is compete in their events and do the best they can. No-one is more deserving than another.

What's next - Rice v Hooker for Australian of the games?
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics