Who is the King

Winter and Summer

Re: Who is the King

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:30 am

hondo71 wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:The people in team sports must wonder what it's all about. A guy swims up and down a pool ... gold medal. Comes out an hour later, swins up and down the pool .. another gold medal. The team sports are out there for 2 weeks having to win a number of games just to compete for ONE medal.

So does that count against Bolt as well? Using your logic, Bolt just runs a couple of sprints and gets 2 medals for about 5 minutes work across the whole games?

As for team sports - the reserve who gets 5 minutes game time gets a gold medal same as the star of the team.

Really, you could argue about every medallist once you start trying to compare different events. That's before people start picking their favourite events or who they like better or who was more gracious - it becomes never-ending speculation.

As I said in my last post - all anyone can do is compete in their events and do the best they can. No-one is more deserving than another.

What's next - Rice v Hooker for Australian of the games?

Are you trying to tell me that Rice's perfromance was any more stunning than Hooker in the Pole Vault, or Mitcham in the diving? I don't think so.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Tassie Blues » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:34 am

Rice won 3 medals the same as Bolt so she must be the queen of the games? im sure if she entered more event she would have won them.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:38 am

Tassie Blues wrote:Rice won 3 medals the same as Bolt so she must be the queen of the games? im sure if she entered more event she would have won them.

and the closest women to her on 2 gold medals are russia's synchronised swimmers :shock: :roll: are the bridesmaids :lol:
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:41 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
hondo71 wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:The people in team sports must wonder what it's all about. A guy swims up and down a pool ... gold medal. Comes out an hour later, swins up and down the pool .. another gold medal. The team sports are out there for 2 weeks having to win a number of games just to compete for ONE medal.

So does that count against Bolt as well? Using your logic, Bolt just runs a couple of sprints and gets 2 medals for about 5 minutes work across the whole games?

As for team sports - the reserve who gets 5 minutes game time gets a gold medal same as the star of the team.

Really, you could argue about every medallist once you start trying to compare different events. That's before people start picking their favourite events or who they like better or who was more gracious - it becomes never-ending speculation.

As I said in my last post - all anyone can do is compete in their events and do the best they can. No-one is more deserving than another.

What's next - Rice v Hooker for Australian of the games?

Are you trying to tell me that Rice's perfromance was any more stunning than Hooker in the Pole Vault, or Mitcham in the diving? I don't think so.

Each are fantastic gold medal performance. Rice did break world records though...I'm starting to think it's ridiculous to compare athletes of different sports... Would you compare Ali and Schumacher?
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby spell_check » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:01 am

hondo71 wrote:What's next - Rice v Hooker for Australian of the games?

Matthew Mitcham. 8) :)
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 181 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:17 am

Hooker - Wallace - Mitcham + the sailing guys and girls are probably 5 more gold than what they thought imo
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Hondo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:22 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Are you trying to tell me that Rice's perfromance was any more stunning than Hooker in the Pole Vault, or Mitcham in the diving? I don't think so.

Exactly, that's my point

Cambridge Clarrie is OTM - comparing athletes of different sports is a ridiculous, pointless exercise
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics