Non Olympic sports

Winter and Summer

Non Olympic sports

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Surely the Olympic DNA is all about track and field, swimming, diving, gymnastics, archery, shooting, rowing, cycling, equestrian blah blah. Surely mainstream high profile professional sports like tennis, soccer, basketball etc are not compatible with the longstanding Olympic spirit. Anyone else agree? What sports do you think should be in or out?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Re: Non Olympic sports

Postby OnSong » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Why is golf not an olympic sport, if the others are?
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Squids » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 pm

It's meant to be the best of the best. That's why I would kick soccer out quick smart. Basketball and Tennis are okay as they usually have the best players playing.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby heater31 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Some sections of the road/track cycling disciplines want BMX & Mountain Bikes out.

I would like to see golf in but for the amateurs only. Would be a good launching pad to turn professional.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby smac » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 pm

If it isn't the pinnacle of your sport to win Olympic medals then it shouldn't be in the Olympics.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby David Brent » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:06 pm

OnSong wrote:Why is golf not an olympic sport, if the others are?

Its in for Rio I think not 100% certain though.

One could argue with tennis the doubles crown is the most prestigious to win as you get the good players like Fed, Murray in the event compared to Grand Slams where only the spuds play like the Gooch from Aus.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:36 pm

It all went pear shaped when the line between professionalism and amateurism disappeared.
The Olympics was the pinnacle of amateurism
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:40 pm

smac wrote:If it isn't the pinnacle of your sport to win Olympic medals then it shouldn't be in the Olympics.

100% agree Smac. That should be the criteria. In order it should be Nationals, World Champs then Olympics.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:24 pm

[quote="heater31"]Some sections of the road/track cycling disciplines want BMX & Mountain Bikes out.

I would like to see golf in but for the amateurs only. Would be a good launching pad to turn professional.[/quote]
spot on! But watch vested interests interfere here and get their way.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Grahaml » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Banning people because they make money out of what they do is the stupidest idea I've heard for some time. Why award an olympic gold medal to a guy who happens to be the 900th best player in the world, but the 899 ahead of him are professionals? If you're going to have something in the olympics then it should be open to the best in the world.

I suspect anyone who suggests banning professionals has utterly no idea how many people make a living for their sports. You don't see Pearsons, Bolt, Phelps working 9-5 because they get paid to be athletes. After Seoul it became very clear when Carl Lewis had just become one of the highest paid US athletes while NBA basketballers were unable to compete because of their professional status.

Soccer shouldn't be in the olympics, it's not the highest level and not open to the best players. It's a B grade event for soccer and the olympics should never be allowed to be B grade.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:27 pm

But why should the professionals make even more money than they already do. Being an Olympic medalist is only going to increase their value further.

Amateur golfers only have about 2 major championships that they can win and under the amateur satus outlined in the rules of golf can accept almost nothing for it.
Last edited by heater31 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Grahaml wrote:Banning people because they make money out of what they do is the stupidest idea I've heard for some time. Why award an olympic gold medal to a guy who happens to be the 900th best player in the world, but the 899 ahead of him are professionals? If you're going to have something in the olympics then it should be open to the best in the world.

I suspect anyone who suggests banning professionals has utterly no idea how many people make a living for their sports. You don't see Pearsons, Bolt, Phelps working 9-5 because they get paid to be athletes. After Seoul it became very clear when Carl Lewis had just become one of the highest paid US athletes while NBA basketballers were unable to compete because of their professional status.

Soccer shouldn't be in the olympics, it's not the highest level and not open to the best players. It's a B grade event for soccer and the olympics should never be allowed to be B grade.

Agreed
The IOC wanted soccer to be full strength however it is FIFA who have demanded the u23 concept because they want the World Cup to be the pinnacle of soccer which is fair enough. Not a fan of soccer or tennis in the Olympics.
Would love to see the pro's box
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby OnSong » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Jim05 wrote:Would love to see the pro's box

That'll be about $50
OnSong
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:40 pm

OnSong wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Would love to see the pro's box

That'll be about $50

Is that one of OL's Hanson Rd specials?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby OnSong » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:44 pm

He gets it cheaper than that.
OnSong
Coach

Postby overloaded » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Dont be afraid to negotiate. Works for me. For $50 I can usually get an henry johnon and a hungry jacks large combo
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby on the rails » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:27 pm

Jim05 wrote: The IOC wanted soccer to be full strength however it is FIFA who have demanded the u23 concept because they want the World Cup to be the pinnacle of soccer which is fair enough. Not a fan of soccer or tennis in the Olympics.
Would love to see the pro's box

David Stern NBA Commissioner is lobbying FIBA to make the Olympic Basketball Comp an U23 and under in line with the FIFA Model. He is not getting much support from the present Team USA Stars such as Kobe and Lebron. For some reason over the years the USA treat the Olympics in a greater light than the FIBA World Championship which is a far harder and longer test with 24 teams competing as opposed to 12 at Olympic level. Not sure what support he would also get from other FIBA nations - especially the challengers which at present are Spain and Argentina?

USA were quite happy for years to field all College Squads but after the Munich Gold Medal Final debacle then a strong US College Squad led by David Robinson losing to the USSR in 1988 the push was on for NBA inclusion which we saw from 1992.

A poor 2004 Olympics after a dismal World Championship for the USA on home soil in 2002 at least forced the US to take International comps more seriously when they realised the rest of the world had caught up.

As a basketball fan I am not sure which way would be best ultimately to be honest?
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Bully » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 pm

darts should be an olympic sport!!
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby on the rails » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Bully wrote:darts should be an olympic sport!!

I agree!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Bully wrote:darts should be an olympic sport!!

Would snooker also be included then.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics