Olympic Games - Rio 2016 - XXXI Olympiad

Winter and Summer

Postby Corona Man » Tue May 24, 2016 3:19 pm

In a little over 70 days Rio de Janeiro will have the honor of being the first South American city to host an Olympic Games when Rio 2016 hits Brazil’s second largest city in August 2016. These are the games of the 31st Olympiad.

10,500 of the world’s best athletes will arrive in the marvellous city with Olympic glory on their minds. Many will be seeking to win one or more of the 306 medals on offer while others will be at least hoping they can leave Rio with a personal best performance. Four distinct venue clusters will host 42 disciplines across 28 sports, including the highly anticipated debut of the rugby sevens and golf competitions. Of the 306 events 161 are for men, 136 are for women and 9 are mixed.

The Copacabana and Maracanã regions have long been favourites for locals and visitors alike while Barra and Deodoro are sure to provide plenty of fond memories at Games time. With the football preliminaries starting two days before the Opening Ceremony and archery ranking on 5 August, there is actually 19 days of competition.

The United States and China are expected to battle it out for top spot on the medal tally, while the locals will be cheering on their hometown heroes as they chase a top-10 finish. The Australian Team will be hoping the green and gold in the stands will spur them on as they push for a top-five finish.
Large sections of the city have been transformed and rejuvenated for the Games. The Rio Organising Committee have been hard at work ensuring the event is on track to be one of the most memorable on record and provide a great legacy for the residents. There won’t be much time to spare but all venues, press centers, transport and hotels are progressing well. Most importantly the Athletes’ Village is ahead of schedule and waiting the superstars of world sport to arrive from every corner of the globe.

It is anticipated that half a million tourists will come to Rio de Janeiro for the Games.

It is estimated that Australia will qualify a Team of around 440 athletes to the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. This would make the 2016 Australian Olympic Team the second largest away Team in history, after Athens in 2004 (482).

Sports to be contested – Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Boxing, Canoe/Kayaking, Cycling (BMX, Mountain, Road & Track), Diving, Equestrian, Fencing, Football (Soccer), Golf, Gymnastics, Handball, Hockey, Judo, Modern Pentathlon, Rowing, Rugby (Sevens), Sailing, Shooting, Synchronized Swimming, Table Tennis, Tennis, Triathlon, Volleyball (Traditional & Beach), Water Polo, Weightlifting & Wrestling (Freestyle & Greco Roman).

Australian athletes set to do well in mainly individual sports include – Annette Edmonson (Cycling Track), Minjee Lee (Golf), Sam Willoughby (Cycling BMX), Katharina Haecker (Judo), Emma Moffatt (Triathlon), Jack Bobridge (Cycling Track), Rohan Dennis (Cycling Road), Damon Kelly (Weightlifting), Melissa Wu (Diving), Kim Brennan (Rowing), Cate & Bronte Campbell (Swimming).

Kitty Chiller is the Australian Chef De Mission.

I am hopeful the honor of the Australian Flag bearer at the opening ceremony will be bestowed on the great Anna Meares.

Get set from some late nights, and early mornings. Not too mention the same 12 or 15 ads promoting upcoming channel 7 programmes on high rotation.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Re: Olympic Games - Rio 2016 - XXXI Olympiad

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 24, 2016 5:41 pm

pumped.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Unfortunately it's a meh from me for a couple of reasons

The time zone means horrendous viewing hours for us.

The war of words between our tennis brat pack and the chief de mission. I can't believe that someone in that sort of position needs to comment. Just don't pick them!

The structure of the Olympic Golf tournament. Simply should never been left to the PGA/European Pro's for selection it's been 100 years since the sport was included and with crowded schedules they can't commit the time and respect the Olympic movement needs. Should have been the amateurs like the boxing and lead into a professional career.

Will just follow how Kyle Chalmers goes and that is about it....the Channel 7 bullshit forced down our throats will be unbearable
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 24, 2016 6:12 pm

Yeah viewing hours are going to suck.

Golf shouldn't even be in the olympics. Neither should tennis. Or soccer. Leave it to the sports where it is the absolute pinnacle of the game.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 24, 2016 6:12 pm

Do fox also have the rights? I remember last time they had like 8 extra channels?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue May 24, 2016 6:28 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yeah viewing hours are going to suck.

Golf shouldn't even be in the olympics. Neither should tennis. Or soccer. Leave it to the sports where it is the absolute pinnacle of the game.

As you know, I am a golf nut, well a nut anyway.... Golf shouldn't be an Olympic sport, but if Tennis is in then what the hang.

Given the August timing, cold and wet down under, I see myself bunkering down , wrapping up in warm clothes and becoming a vegetable for 2 weeks...
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue May 24, 2016 6:30 pm

bennymacca wrote:Do fox also have the rights? I remember last time they had like 8 extra channels?

Don't know, if they do I'm sure they will let us know in plenty of time. Works for me, I tend to switch over from the equestrian, sync swimming & Greco wrestling very quickly!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Also I googled a bit and I think it's just on 7. Guess it will be on all their 3/4 channels
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 24, 2016 9:13 pm

Agree, i don't any sports should be in the Olympics if thats not the pinnacle of that sport.

The Olympics have become very meh the older i get.

These no name athletes that i wont hear about for another four years, yes i like to see the aussies win but i far from lose any sleep if we don't win a thing either.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 24, 2016 9:44 pm

whufc wrote:Agree, i don't any sports should be in the Olympics if thats not the pinnacle of that sport.

The Olympics have become very meh the older i get.

These no name athletes that i wont hear about for another four years, yes i like to see the aussies win but i far from lose any sleep if we don't win a thing either.

to me thats the appeal of it. I get to follow swimming or high jumping, or hockey, or water polo, with the same passion that i follow other sports. and those sports suck so once every 4 years is about the right time for me to want to watch it again haha
bennymacca
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 pm

I'm gonna watch my formal school mate Chelsea Jaensch in long jump.....the rest meh don't care
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed May 25, 2016 4:47 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:I'm gonna watch my formal school mate Chelsea Jaensch in long jump.....the rest meh don't care

That name caught my eye as I was going through the list of selected athletes. I didn't realise she was a local.

Do you know much about her that you would care to share?
Is she the current national Champion in long jump?
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu May 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Thought I would have a crack at a preview:
Here are the first 3 sports -

ARCHERY

Archery debuted at the 1900 Summer Olympics. Initially the European nations held sway in this sport, however in more recent games the Koreans, in particular in the women’s events have been dominant.

Olympic archery consists of four medal events - men's individual, women's individual, men's team, and women's team. In all four events, the distance from the archer to the target is 70 metres.

No Australians currently feature in the world’s top ten rankings, in either men’s or women’s individual competitions. I think it’s fair to assume, an Aussie medalist in Archery is unlikely.

The Australian Archery team members are still to be announced.

ATHLETICS

One of my personal favourites to watch, at any Olympics. Pure basic sport. Faster, higher, stronger, and hopefully cleaner! So often tarnished at games past, the IOC will be more vigilant the ever (apparently) to ensure the 2016 games are the cleanest yet.

Usain Bolt once again looms large. Bolt is aiming to be the first athlete to do the triple-triple, which is the 100m, 200m, 4x100m at three Games.

There are 47 events on the Olympic track and field program:
Field events: - 16 (discus, shot put, hammer throw, javelin, long jump, triple jump, high jump, pole vault- men and women)
Track events: - 23 (100m, 200m, 400m, 4x100m, 4x400m, 800m, 1500, 5,000m, 10,000m, 400m hurdles, 3000m steeplechase- men, 100m hurdles- women, 110m hurdles- men)
Road events: - 5 (marathon, 20km walk, 50km walk-men)
Combined events: - 2 (heptathlon- women, decathlon- men)

Must watch viewing for me is the 100 metre final, and both the men’s & women’s Marathons.

Australia is expecting to field a strong team, with returning medalists from London 2102, Sally Pearson in the 100m hurdles, Mitchell Watt in the men’s long jump and Jared Tallent in the 50k walk.

Medals for Australia should be achievable.

BADMINTON

Badminton has been in the Games since Barcelona 1992. Men and women compete in individual and doubles events, and mixed doubles. I understand that shuttlecocks often travel at up to 400 km/h…. that’s quick. Badminton requires fast reflexes from the players, and has been dominated at Olympic level in the past by Chinese and Korean players.

Participation at the Olympics in Badminton is determined by world rankings.

Australia currently does not have any players in either individual or team Badminton ranked in their respective top 10’s. An Australian medal here is highly unlikely.
Last edited by Corona Man on Thu May 26, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 26, 2016 2:21 pm

Great stuff
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu May 26, 2016 6:33 pm

The second instalment...

BASKETBALL

A case of how far the US Dream Team? I am not a huge basketball fan, but I suspect the yanks could field 3 mens teams, and take Gold, Silver & Bronze….

Basketball is celebrating 80 years in the Olympic Games – its debut was at Berlin in 1936. Twelve teams of each gender will be battling for medals. The latest world rankings I could find:-
Men:- USA, Spain, Lithuania, Argentina, France, Serbia, Russia, Turkey, Brasil, Greece. Australia are ranked 11th, however Rio will be, arguably the strongest team we have fielded at an Olympics. Andrew Bogut, Matthew Dellavedova, Dante Exum, Joe Inglis & Patty Mills will lead the way. Are the boomers a serious medal chance?

Womens:- USA, Australia, Spain, France, Czech Republic, Russia, Brasil, China, Canada, Belarus. Our women are clearly a fantastic medal proposition, and on ranking at least Gold medal contenders.

The “Opals” are led by key players – Liz Cambage, Suzy Batkovic, Lauren Jackson & Greg’s girl – Erin Phillips.

Australian medals – damn good chance.

BOXING

The sport of Boxing made its Olympic debut at St Louis 1904 and women entered the fray at London 2012. In 2016, there are 13 categories – 10 for men and three for women.
My enduring memory of Olympic boxing is Cassius Clay, who allegedly tossed his Olympic Gold Medal into a river, and went on to become an icon of world sport. The mighty Muhammad Ali.

Olympic boxing is often a bit of a lottery. The Cubans, however, always seem to produce good pugs.

Tune into this if you like to see 3 furious rounds of blokes trying to belt the living suitcase out of each other. Without Don King, boxing has little appeal for me.

Australia has named Daniel Lewis, Shelley Watts & Jason Whateley so far as our representatives. Unsure of Australian medal prospects, perhaps we have the next Jeff Fenech coming through?

CANOEING/KAYAKING

This sport has been in the Games since Munich 1972. Competitors navigate the course on board kayaks or canoes, in singles or doubles events. The idea is, in either canoes or kayaks - athletes must complete a 250m white-water course, passing through gates and avoiding obstacles, in the shortest time possible.

Australia has announced a team of 12 athletes to compete in the Sprint discipline and 3 who take on the slalom events. Jessica Fox will be back to see if she can improve on her silver medal in the K1 event from London 2102, where she was just 18 years of age.

Not sure if this is the sport that will keep me up on the couch late at night to be honest. One for the enthusiasts.

Australian medals are certainly possible here.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri May 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Dust off your bikes, and slide into some lycra, then grab a skinny latte when your done. Here are all the bike events.

CYCLING - (BMX)

The sport of cycling BMX made its Olympic debut in Beijing 2008, an Olympics that saw the 2 Aussies who made their respective finals, crash out mid race. Why didn’t we put Steven Bradbury in then?

The Cycling BMX world championships have just this week been run and won in Columbia, and based on those results an Australian team will be selected. Adelaide’s Sam Willougby a former world champion, and past silver medallist, will hopefully be among them. Caroline Buchanan will be the leading women’s medal hope in Rio.

BMX machines have just one brake & one gear. The bikes are designed to be light, but strong enough to absorb the impact of landing. Can’t help but think BMX would be more interesting if they all rode beat up old “Kwaka” 125’s, Crusty Demon style.

I assume that the tracks they compete on vary in both distance (to a degree) and complexity.

Australia certainly has medal claims.

CYCLING – (MOUNTAIN BIKE)

Mountain Bike Racing first appeared at the 1996 Atlanta Games. Expect the Europeans to dominate this sport, its damn near the national sport in Belgium. The French & Italians don’t mind it either.

Australia is yet to win a medal in Olympic mountain bike racing despite the nation’s relative strength in the sport.
Mountain Bikers complete laps of an undulating race circuit designed to produce a specific winning time rather than a specific distance. Races are over 40-50km for men, and 30-40km for women. The riders start together and must complete a set number of laps of the course. Competitors often in wet, muddy conditions get off their machines and carry them over rough terrain. First over the line on the last lap wins.

The Australian team is yet to be announced, and medals would only be an outside chance.

CYCLING – (TRACK)

Track cycling has been part of every Olympic games in the modern era. A good thing too, as Australia has enjoyed great success on the veledrome. The medal returns on the track in London 2012 while still pretty good, where down on what the cyclones produced in 2004 at the Athens games. We really dominated the world – 5 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze. From a total of back then about 12-15 events in total – great return.

Track events include – Sprint, Madison (2 man teams), Points, Individual & Team Pursuit, Keiran & the recently added Omnium – the decathlon of cycling.

Australian track cycling really came of age under the guidance of Charlie Walsh, when the mens team pursuit, rode to victory in 1980 in Los Angeles. Since then we have enjoyed great success, much of it home grown here in little old Adelaide.

We won’t have it all our own way, the Poms have really improved their track squad. Throw in the French, Germans, Russians, even the bloody Kiwi’s are no lightweights.

As you can probably tell, I am a fan. Anna Meares, a nicer person you will never meet, this will be her final games. As mentioned flag bearer at the opening ceremony would be an appropriate honour. I hope Anna can go out in fine style.

Also keep an eye out for locals Jack Bobridge & Matthew Glatzer who are genuine medal contenders. Expect Australian medals here.

CYCLING – (ROAD)

This is surely the one time every 4 years, you don’t mind those tools in lycra getting in you way on the roads, and hogging the best seats in the café’s…. Maybe?

Road Cycling takes the form of both mens and womens road races. Mass start affairs over distances of for the men 200+ ks, and the women 120k’s or thereabouts. Many of the participants in the mens road race will be fresh off their bikes having completed a lap of France… as a warm up! Often in Olympic years, some blokes pull the pin on le tour to freshen for the Olympics. The winner is often anyones guess, it comes down to the day, the team tactics, the terrain. Caleb Ewan may be an Australian chance in the mens road race.

Then there is the Individual time trial…. Tune into this if you find paint drying fascinating. Even I struggle with watching the ITT. Rohan Dennis specialises in this discipline, and will be the best Australian medal chance in my view on the road. He will face stiff competition I expect from both Fabian Cancellara (Switzerland) and Tony Martin (Germany)

In the ladies road race keep an eye out for Australian Tiffany Cromwell. You’ll be pleased you did, she looks very tidy.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri May 27, 2016 3:43 pm

The final instalment this week.

DIVING

No not Gavin Wanganeen… Athletes, jumping from the high platform (or springboards) spinning and somersaulting all while in a tucked position. Ideally with as little splash as possible on entry…. Nah stuff that, give me a good bomb or sui any day, empty the bloody pool.

At the Olympics, men and women both compete in individual 3m springboard and 10m platform and synchronised 3m springboard and 10m platform.

Synchronised diving events were introduced for the first time at Sydney 2000. A sad legacy from those games.

Diving made its debut at Saint Louis in 1904, and took the form of distance diving, where the diver who remained underwater for longest distance before resurfacing crowned the winner. Kind of underwater hide & seek really.

In recent years, China has been the dominant force in diving, taking home 25 of the 31 medals awarded since Atlanta 1996. The Port Adelaide Footy Club sponsorship makes a lot more sense now.

Kevin Chavez and Melissa Wu, of the 10 Aussies selected, will hold the best chances for Australian success. We always seem to jag a diving medal along the way.

EQUESTRIAN

All a bit Christopher Pyne, Melbourne Footy Club and hyphenated surnames for my liking. Horses drawing shapes in the sand is one thing. It looks pretty. Going tits up, in the cross country at the water jump, now that’s entertainment.

Equestrian is split over 3 distinct disciplines – Dressage, Eventing & Jumping. Each having both individual & team components.

Australia has a good track record in the Equestrian events, medalling on several occasions, including 3 consecutive gold medals in the team eventing discipline (1992, 1996, 2000) Andrew Hoy being part of all 3 teams.

It must be a logistical nightmare getting horses, and all the equipment, feed etc. half way round the world. I remember taking my nag to the Casterton races one day, what a headf**k that was, ran last to boot.

Australia has teams and individuals already qualified for the Rio games, due to good performances in qualifying events throughout 2015.

Edwina Tops-Alexander (see there had to be one hyphen) was Australia's best performed Jumping rider at the Beijing 2008 and London 2012 Games. She is expected to lead the Australian Team in Brazil.

Medals here for the Aussies are a distinct possibility.

FENCING

Sword fighting, without the pirates. How much better would it be if they ditched the protective gear, and just went at it with dirty big cutlasses’. Talk about last man standing. What are you going to do, bleed on me?

Australia has fallen short of having a fencer at Rio 2016, after no male or female qualified at the last chance tournament in Quixi, China in April 2016. Surely someone could pop over a knock up a colourbond number, or at least a good neighbour fence.

Choose your weapons – Epee, Foil or Sabre. 10 events in total for men, women & teams.

Historically Fencing has been one for the Italians & Hungarians. Traditional rivals perhaps? Better hope the IOC have fixtured it on a Brazilian public holiday.

No medals here for Australia.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:45 am

This weeks instalment.

FOOTBALL (SOCCER)

Not even an organisation as big, and corrupt as FIFA can stop Football being played at Olympic level. They do however protect their own cash-cow product, the World Cup, by making the Olympic version a handicap event. Well played Sepp Blater.

Olympic soccer (mens) is essentially an Under 23 competition, with each team allowed to have 3 over age players on their roster. The womens game is open to all comers.

At this point I don’t feel I need to explain the concept of the game to you dear reader. It’s fairly straight forward. 11 players prance around on the field, if an opposition player as much as remarks about their hairstyle, they throw themselves on the deck, clutching their left ankles. The best team of actors win.

Australian has failed to qualify in the mens side, however our women will be in Rio.

The Matilda’s have outside medal prospects. No team announced as yet, don’t be surprised if the multi talented Alyce Perry is a starter.
Expect the South American countries to be all over the mens comp, in home conditions. The USA ladies are most likely the team to beat in the womens comp.

Some medal claim for Australia.

GOLF
Should this even be contested at the Olympics….. probably not.

There is not too much information regarding the course they are playing in Rio. Perhaps it’s a putt-putt comp at the complex adjacent to the Copacabana beach. If Laura Davies turns up in just a sarong covering her swim togs, it will be the last time we see golf at the Olympics.

From what I can make out (of the one aerial picture available) the course looks like a links. Not too many trees, a fair bit of water, and lots and lots of sand.

Australia will field 4 players in each the mens & womens events. Traditional stroke play over 4 rounds. It will be interesting to see which world ranked players attend, and those who choose to simply give it a miss. Think Adam Scott has already declined.

Jason Day, if he goes would be our best medal hope in the mens. Minjee Lee and perhaps Karie Webb around the mark for the ladies.

Medals for Aussie golfers are a distinct possibility.

GYMNASTICS (ARTISTIC, RYTHMIC, TRAMPOLINE)

A good opportunity for the “pedos” to get involved here (joking of course), as a cavalcade of 12-15 year old girls twist, turn and tumble their way past in shear leotards.

One of the traditional Olympic offerings, graceful, skillfull and athletic (and that’s just the blokes) but open to interpretation in terms of judging.
Artistic is the original stuff. Pomel-horse, bars, rings, un-even bars, vault & floor routines.

Rythmic is the one with ribbons, balls & batons. “So you think you can dance”…..with Olympic medals at the end.
Trampoline is, well trampolining.

The Russians are always pretty good, throw in the Chinese, Koreans and Americans and there you have it. Some will recall Nadia Comanici (Romania) with her perfect score 10/10 at the 1976 Montreal games. Good as it was, Bo Derek is still my perfect 10. Oh, and Barrie Robran of course, but for other reasons.

West Australian Lauren Mitchell is the closest an Aussie has come to a medal at the Olympics in Artistic Gymnastics, with a 4th place in London 2012.
The final Australian team members are yet to be announced.

A medal here for Australia would be highly unlikely.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:50 pm

Top Stories: Nick Kyrgios pulls out of Olympic team, slams 'unjust treatment'
http://ab.co/1t4SYxg

I'm with Kyrgios here. Sure he acts like a tool sometimes but kitty chiller has acted extremely unprofessionally.

So what if he's a tool. Why should that preclude him from competing?

John steffason, jana Pittman, most of the Australian swim team. All prime grade Pillocks which have competed at an olympics.

Dean capobianco was a drug cheat who still made the Olympic team.

Professional boxers can now compete.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Tassie Blues » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:04 am

Gracenote virtual medal table has Australia getting 17 gold 12 silver and 13 bronze 42 medals over all. The update the table every month with current results from around the world so it worth noting that he USA are yet to hold the swimming selection trials. Once these are held in late June the tally will be a little more accurate.

USA G 41 S 23 B 29 T 93
China G 31 S 27 B 22 T 80
Russia G 21 S 23 B 24 T 68
GB G 17 S 16 B 16 T 49
Aus G 17 S 12 B13 T 42
Ger G 15 S 15 B 18 T 48

I am very excited to be heading over to Rio for the first 7 days of the games. 17 sessions in 7 days with 2 big hope of seeing aussie gold. Jess Fox in the canoe slalom and Kim Brennan (Crow) in the rowing. Also have tickets to swimming, basketball, beach volleyball, hockey, rugby 7s and tennis.

Biggest issues for me at the moment are transport to and from the events looking like a nightmare and the high possibility of being mugged at some stage.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics