Asian Championship League

The World Game

Asian Championship League

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Just thought I'd post this after hearing a moron ring 5AA asking how much money the ACL is worth and that AU may have tanked the year so they could be better prepared for the ACL as he was implying there may be more money in the ACL.
Only the 2 teams that play in the final get prizemoney (and its considerable by memory), the only monies paid before then are to help cover costs of travel.
I doubt AU would tank A-League games getting less money from gate takings and potentially sponsors to just have a shot at good prizemoney in the final of the ACL which going on last year's results would be pretty unlikely.
I have a feeling we'll have teams always struggle in the ACL until we work out a way that clubs play in the ACL just after the season they've had were in good form. Hopefully Im wrong and AU and MV with their longer preperation than expected will help them and they put on a good show.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2059 times
Been liked: 3912 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Asian Championship League

Postby Dirko » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:38 pm

What a ******* moron...Why would Adelaide cough up the chance to play finals ?
If that's the case wouldn't Queensland last week pull out all stops to ensure that they qualified
instead of the CCM ?

I agree with your post Wedgie. The ACL is in the wrong time for our blokes. AU & MV players now have
2 months off without a game. Both AU & MV have signed blokes just for the ACL, and it also brings into
the reasoning why AU & MV contract players until July whilst the other clubs just need players contracted to
mid Feb.

The only benefits the clubs receive is through increased sponsorship that the clubs get...
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby dinglinga » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:35 pm

one of the agreements amongst all 8 A-League teams is they share the income from the Asian Champions League
dinglinga
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Dirko » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:23 pm

dinglinga wrote:one of the agreements amongst all 8 A-League teams is they share the income from the Asian Champions League

WTF ! :shock:
No wonder they don't play any good...who'd wanna share money with the Bling...
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby RoosterMarty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:57 pm

Correct on all points. Unlike the European Champions League, in Asia there is SFA prize money until you get deep into the tournament and all prize money is shared between the 8 teams anyway.

There is absolutely no way Adelaide would have tanked! There is a big gap between the A-League and ACL anyway so you would want as much match practice as possible leading up to it. Playing finals ahead of the ACL can only be a good thing.

I would love it if the ACL was played during our season though.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 0 time

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer