Scottish Football News Season 2010/11

The World Game

Scottish Football News Season 2010/11

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 am

JOE LEDLEY SIGNS FOR CELTIC
Celtic have confirmed the signing of Joe Ledley from Cardiff on a four-year contract.
The 23-year-old was the subject of interest from Stoke but opted to move to Celtic Park following several trips to Glasgow for talks.
The Wales midfielder will now join up with his new team-mates on the club's pre-season tour of North America.
Ledley is Neil Lennon's third signing of the summer following the arrival of full-backs Charlie Mulgrew and Cha Du-ri.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Scottish Football News Season 2010/11

Postby RoosterMarty » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:48 am

Well that sucks. If he was going to leave I'd rather him go to the EPL so at least I could see him most weeks instead of that crappy Scottish league.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:09 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:Well that sucks. If he was going to leave I'd rather him go to the EPL so at least I could see him most weeks instead of that crappy Scottish league.

Haha, I have a good mate who's a mad Scot. He's a Rangers fan and always says "Celtic players and fans aare going to hell"

LMAO - Ledley's going to hell :lol:
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:23 am

SAINTS SWOOP FOR SAMSON

St Mirren have signed goalkeeper Craig Samson, while confirming the departure of Mark Howard to Aberdeen.
The former Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Dundee United keeper, 26, has agreed a one-year deal with Saints.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:34 am

Gers move for Eagles

SPL champions in talks for Burnley winger
Burnley have confirmed that Rangers have made an approach to sign former Manchester United winger Chris Eagles.
The 24-year-old, who has 12 months left on his Turf Moor deal, joined the Clarets in 2008 and has become a firm fans' favourite.

My source says that Gers have agreed £2.25m for Eagles. He has already had a medicle and passed and the deal should be finalised tomorrow / Friday. Personally I think it is a good bit of business for the clarets who paid £1.25m for him 2 years ago. He only has one season on his contract and made it clear he doesn't want to stay in the CCC. £1m profit for a player that struggled to hold down a place in the relegation side.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:38 am

Celtic to land Juarez

Scottish giants win race for midfielder
Celtic are set to win the race for Mexican star Efrain Juarez, his agent has confirmed.
On Tuesday, Jorge Berlanga confirmed the interest from Parkhead, although he also admitted that a move to England or Spain was preferable.
However, Celtic have pushed ahead with the deal and now look set to seal the signature of the highly-rated midfielder.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:41 am

Dons deal for Howard

Shot-stopper leaves St Mirren for Pittodrie
Goalkeeper Mark Howard has joined Aberdeen ahead of the new season after leaving St Mirren.
The Londoner started his career at Arsenal and then had spells with Falkirk, Cardiff and Swansea before ending up with the Buddies.
He joins new signings Rory McArdle and Josh Magennis at Pittodrie.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Hoops land Black Cat

Murphy becomes Lennon's fourth summer signing
Celtic have signed Daryl Murphy from Sunderland on a three-year contract, the club has confirmed.
The Republic of Ireland international becomes the Hoops' fourth signing of the summer transfer window after Charlie Mulgrew, Joe Ledley and Cha Du-Ri's arrivals at Parkhead.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Dons look at trialists

McGhee looks at free agents
Aberdeen have taken six players on trial as they look at prospective new signings.
Former Charlton defender Grant Basey, ex-Southampton man Yoann Folly, Pakistan international Adnan Ahmed, former Bolton man Jeff Smith, ex-Huddersfield defender Robbie Williams and midfielder Conor Okus have linked-up with Aberdeen for pre-season training.
Basey and Williams are both left-backs and boss Mark McGhee has made a new full-back one of his top priorities after losing Charlie Mulgrew to Celtic earlier this summer.
The six players are all free agents and are looking for new clubs this summer.
All six are set to feature for Aberdeen in this weekend's pre-season friendly with Fraserburgh so McGhee can cast an eye over them.
If the players impress during the clash McGhee could decide to offer them a deal at Pittodrie.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:44 am

Friendlies Sat 17th Jul

Forfar 1 St Johnstone 3
Forres M'nics 1 Inverness 3
Fraserburgh 3 Aberdeen 1
Stirling 0 Hamilton 2

Fraserburgh 3 Aberdeen 1

An Aberdeen squad featuring six trialists suffered a 3-1 defeat by Highland League side Fraserburgh.
Dons boss Mark McGhee played entirely different teams in each half but both lost to their youthful Highland League opponents.
One of the trialists, former Carlisle winger Jeff Smith, netted Aberdeen's goal early in the second half with a 22-yard strike that flew in off the crossbar.
That cancelled out Steven Main's opener, which came after a mix-up between summer signing Rory McArdle and goalkeeper Jamie Langfield, and James Duguid put Fraserburgh ahead before Clark Robertson's own goal.
Former Huddersfield left-back Robbie Williams, Pakistan midfielder Adnan Ahmed and Togo international Yoann Folly played in the first half.
Wales Under-21 international left-back Grant Basey played alongside Smith and ex-West Ham youth Conor Okus after the break.

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee did not read too much into the defeat and will further assess his trialists next week.
He told RedTV: "It was two groups of players who haven't played together. There was no individual that you can really point the finger at and say they just didn't look at it. The goals were disappointing but they were a bit unfortunate and 3-1 doesn't really reflect the game. We didn't create enough chances or have enough shots at goal but we're not going home worrying that there's something we're not going to get better at."

"Fraserburgh matched our fitness and worked very, very hard and did well, but we had a lot of positives out the game, and I certainly learned a lot about the new boys."
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:39 am

Hendrie having Dons talks

Experienced midfielder could make SPL switch
Aberdeen have confirmed that former Aston Villa midfielder Lee Hendrie has arrived at Pittodrie with a view to joining.
The 33-year-old, who has one England cap to his name, has been on the lookout for a new club since leaving Derby at the end of last season.
Hendrie has played for the likes of Stoke, Sheffield United, Leicester, Blackpool and Brighton after beginning his career with Villa.
The experienced midfielder will now look around Aberdeen and the club's facilities with a view to becoming the club's fourth summer signing after Rory McArdle, Josh Magennis and Mark Howard.
"English midfielder Lee Hendrie has arrived in Aberdeen (on Monday) with a view to potentially signing for the Dons," read a statement on the club's official website.
"It is a chance for Lee to familiarise himself with the Dons and the area and chance for Mark (McGhee) and his coaching staff to have a look at the player."
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 am

Sun 18th Jul

Queen o' South 0 Rangers 1
Peterhead 0 Aberdeen 2
Arka Gdynia 0 Dundee Utd 0

Queen of the South 0 Rangers 1

Kenny Miller was the match-winner as Rangers began their pre-season campaign with a win over Queen of the South.
Boss Walter Smith named an experienced side for Queens' veteran Jim Thomson's testimonial at Palmerston Park.
Miller had the best of the chances early on, before Steven Davis was denied by the post from a free-kick.
The Irn-Bru First Division outfit suffered a blow shortly before half-time when goalkeeper Roddy McKenzie was forced out of the action.
And, with no substitute keeper on the bench, Neil Scally was forced to take over between the sticks.
However, in a sporting gesture, Rangers offered their own replacement keeper, Neil Alexander, to their hosts for the second half.

Peterhead 0 Aberdeen 2

Aberdeen bounced back from their defeat to Fraserburgh when they ran out 2-0 winners against Peterhead in a pre-season friendly on Sunday.
The Dons crashed to a surprise 3-1 defeat at Bellslea Park on Saturday but looked far more impressive in this outing.
Boss Mark McGhee opted not to make as many changes at the interval, resulting in a more solid team performance.
The breakthrough came after 59 minutes when youngster Mitch Megginson curled home the opener from all of 30 yards.
Michael Paton then sealed the win with just four minutes to go from the penalty spot, after Clark Robertson was brought down in the box to win the spot-kick.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Believe it or not, but the Scottish League Cup kicks off this week-end.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:27 am

Sat 24th Jul

Scottish League Cup
Airdrie Utd 1 - 2 Ayr
Queens Park 3 - 2 Livingston After Extra Time
Stenhousemuir 3 - 2 Annan Athletic
Stranraer 1 - 2 East Stirling After Extra Time
Queen of South 2 - 1 Albion
Partick 2 - 1 Clyde
Raith 0 - 1 Cowdenbeath
Dundee 2 - 1 Alloa
East Fife 4 - 3 Brechin After Extra Time
Peterhead 5 - 0 Montrose
Elgin 1 - 2 Ross County
Dunfermline 1 - 0 Arbroath
Stirling 0 - 0 Falkirk

Sun 25th Jul

Scottish League Cup
Dumbarton 0 - 0 Morton
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:55 am

ABERDEEN MAKE DOUBLE SIGNING

Aberdeen new boy Scott Vernon will not be setting himself any scoring targets for his first season in Scottish football.
Dons boss Mark McGhee completed the double signing of Yoann Folly and Vernon to take his tally of new boys to five after recruiting Rory McArdle, Josh McGennis and Mark Howard.

Vernon, 26, who was with Colchester United last season, will go straight into the squad for Tuesday's match against Port Vale - but is reluctant to put pressure on himself.
"I did set targets when I was younger and it backfired on me so since then I've never really set targets," Vernon told RedTV.
"I just want to play as many games as I can and score as many goals as I can and obviously help the team.
"I like to get hold of the ball and link with the midfielders, get in the box and get on the end of crosses as much as I can and I feel if I get the chance I can stick the ball in the back of the net.
"I've not had any games yet. I've basically been doing my own pre-season because I was out of contract at Colchester.
"So I just want to get straight in there and given the chance I will gladly play at Port Vale."

Folly, a defensive midfielder, started his career at St Etienne before he was brought to Southampton by Gordon Strachan.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:00 am

CELTIC SECURE JUAREZ DEAL

Celtic have completed the signing of Mexico international Efrain Juarez, who joins the club on a four-year deal from UNAM Pumas.
The 22-year-old defender, who starred for his country at the recent World Cup tournament in South Africa, was unveiled at Celtic Park on Monday in the green and white hoops he insisted were famous throughout his homeland.

"I'm very excited," he said. "It's a big club, a historic club, not only in Scotland but Europe and the world.
"My agent told me Celtic were interested and I didn't have to think twice.
"I said 'I'll sign a deal with this team'. I admire the values of the club, it's one of the most important clubs in Europe.

"I remember the final against Porto in Sevilla. It was amazing, they are amazing fans. Seventy-thousand fans went to Sevilla."I met some fans outside and their passion is important.
"I tell you, it's amazing that 70,000 supporters travelled. Only a few clubs would have this kind of support follow them all over the world. It's a very famous club in Mexico."
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby stampy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:42 am

the bhoys or the huns, as much as i love the celts this comp is the worst in world soccer with only 2 sides capable of winning the title, and yeah i know the epl isnt that much better :?
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby RoosterMarty » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:59 pm

stampy wrote:the bhoys or the huns, as much as i love the celts this comp is the worst in world soccer with only 2 sides capable of winning the title, and yeah i know the epl isnt that much better :?

At least the good EPL teams are quality sides, the top two in Scotland are terrible.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:05 am

RoosterMarty wrote:
stampy wrote:the bhoys or the huns, as much as i love the celts this comp is the worst in world soccer with only 2 sides capable of winning the title, and yeah i know the epl isnt that much better :?

At least the good EPL teams are quality sides, the top two in Scotland are terrible.

Quality European outfit are Celtic ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:14 am

Sat 31st Jul

Co-operative Insurance Cup
Albion 0 - 1 Airdrie Utd
Dundee 3 - 0 Montrose
Dunfermline 5 - 2 Arbroath