World Cup 2018

The World Game

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
Bully wrote:
Wedgie wrote:FOOTBALL fans’ worst fears have been realised after it was revealed that Qatar 2022 would indeed be the first-ever winter edition of the tournament.
The 2022 World Cup will kick off on November 21 with the final played on December 18 — just a week before Christmas.

had to happen
I would assume most europe leagues would have reduced seasons and maybe no promotion and relegation that season considering that its right smack in the middle of europe seasons

That would suck imo.

I would rather see a month break in the between the season and more 'mid week' games to make up for those missed meaning clubs would need to use more of their squads.

All leagues must go into recess during the WC. There will be an earlier start and later finish to the season plus more midweek fixtures

Yeah that would be my preferred option. I would hate to see a 'mini' season or something of that like. Start earlier, finish slightly later, have a few more midweek games.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:27 am

And Captain Hugo holds up the World Cup! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby HH3 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 am

One of the best games of soccer I've seen. Some good goals, and the diving didn't start til late. I also enjoyed when the game was out of reach, so the Croats went for shins.

Worth staying up for.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Bully » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:06 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
Bully wrote:
Wedgie wrote:FOOTBALL fans’ worst fears have been realised after it was revealed that Qatar 2022 would indeed be the first-ever winter edition of the tournament.
The 2022 World Cup will kick off on November 21 with the final played on December 18 — just a week before Christmas.

had to happen
I would assume most europe leagues would have reduced seasons and maybe no promotion and relegation that season considering that its right smack in the middle of europe seasons

That would suck imo.

I would rather see a month break in the between the season and more 'mid week' games to make up for those missed meaning clubs would need to use more of their squads.

All leagues must go into recess during the WC. There will be an earlier start and later finish to the season plus more midweek fixtures

They cant just break the day of the first match in the WC.
Teams need time to train and get ready . Its not like its a mid week game or a weekend during a season for internationals.

They would have to break for a few weeks before the WC and maybe a week or so after the world cup finishes surely

This would mean a reduced season , and no promotions or relegations im sure
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby RB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:22 am

I don't think you could have a reduced season, without everyone playing everyone twice. You could probably scrap the League Cup for one season though.

What a terrible decision to stage the tournament in the desert.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:32 am

Bully wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
Bully wrote:[quote="Wedgie"]FOOTBALL fans’ worst fears have been realised after it was revealed that Qatar 2022 would indeed be the first-ever winter edition of the tournament.

had to happen

That would suck imo.

They cant just break the day of the first match in the WC.
Teams need time to train and get ready . Its not like its a mid week game or a weekend during a season for internationals.

They would have to break for a few weeks before the WC and maybe a week or so after the world cup finishes surely

This would mean a reduced season , and no promotions or relegations im sure[/quote]
No, skysports was talking about it over the weekend and said that there will be a 6 week recess in the EPL during the WC. They will start the season a week or two later and potentially finish a week or two later with the remainder of games being mid week fixtures. No shortening of the season and promotion/relegation as per normal
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer