Champions League 2017/18

The World Game

Re: Champions League 2017/18

Postby johntheclaret » Sat May 12, 2018 3:13 am

Wedgie wrote:Tottenham Hotspur have secured their place in next season's Champions League group stage draw, though they could face being in the third pot of seeds once again.

Spurs were handed an incredibly tough draw from pot 3 this season, but emerged as group winners ahead of Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Apoel Nicosia.

After reaching the knockout rounds they would have been hoping that an improved European coefficient would move them up to pot 2, therefore increasing the likelihood of a more favourable draw. But it seems they might have to rely on Real Madrid beating Liverpool in the final on May 26 for that to happen.

Provisional draw pots (*denotes pot placing to be confirmed)

Pot 1: Real Madrid or Liverpool, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester City, Juventus*, Paris Saint-Germain, Lokomotiv Moscow, FC Porto

Pot 2: Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund*, Manchester United, Shakhtar Donetsk, Benfica*, Napoli, FC Basel, Real Madrid or Tottenham Hotspur

Pot 3: Tottenham Hotspur or Liverpool*, Bayer Leverkusen*, Roma*, Dynamo Kiev*, Schalke, Lyon*, Besiktas*

If Dortmund and Benfica, as expected, confirm their places in next season's Champions League this weekend, then Tottenham will only be ranked 17th of the qualifying teams -- making them the top-ranked team in pot 3.

However, if Real Madrid win the Champions League they will take the place in pot 1 that is reserved for the holders, which will in turn free up a spot in pot 2 to be taken by Spurs.

But if Liverpool win the Champions League it will be Jurgen Klopp's men who move up to pot 1, and Tottenham will remain in pot 3. Liverpool will definitely be in pot 3 if they qualify and do not win the Champions League this season.

Spurs' hopes would not be completely over should Liverpool lift the trophy, as Benfica or FC Basel could fail to make it through the qualifying rounds and make the group-stage draw. They would also move up if Benfica fail to finish second in Portugal.

Meanwhile, the shit clubs in London will be playing Boratstan and Retardestan somewhere even further east than the East in 4th world countries.

Hey, happy to be on board the Silk Road express ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby whufc » Sat May 12, 2018 9:56 am

Tottenham continuing to apply the pressure!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby johntheclaret » Sat May 12, 2018 10:23 am

whufc wrote:Tottenham continuing to apply the pressure!!

He-he, they’ll have the same impact as us ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun May 13, 2018 3:42 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
whufc wrote:Tottenham continuing to apply the pressure!!

He-he, they’ll have the same impact as us ;)

And they will win as much as us!!!
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Awww, a West Ham fan posting in a champions league thread, that's so cute. ;)
Traditionally they're pretty good at making predictions too!

FB_IMG_1526206819719.jpg
FB_IMG_1526206819719.jpg (41.39 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Mon May 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Wedgie wrote:Awww, a West Ham fan posting in a champions league thread, that's so cute. ;)

FB_IMG_1526206819719.jpg

I have no issue conceding Tottenham are a better run club than ours at the moment

But what does make me laugh is the way Tottenham fans carry on like a big 4 club

In the last 25 years you have won the same amount of trophies that matter as West Ham........zero, nilch, none, zip, cero

Shit even we won the intertoto cup since you've won anything of real note and we are junk
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 14, 2018 6:45 pm

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Awww, a West Ham fan posting in a champions league thread, that's so cute. ;)

FB_IMG_1526206819719.jpg

I have no issue conceding Tottenham are a better run club than ours at the moment

But what does make me laugh is the way Tottenham fans carry on like a big 4 club

In the last 25 years you have won the same amount of trophies that matter as West Ham........zero, nilch, none, zip, cero

25 years. 125 years. 25 days. No difference.
We're not a big 4 club mate, we're consistently a big 3 club now and we pay half of what the other clubs in the top 6 do.
I'd rather be in the champions league every year instead of winning a FA, League or Europa Cup, there's only two cups worth winning. Champions League and the EPL title. Little clubs can worry about the other trophies IMHO.
(And don't get me wrong, this attitude irks a lot of old Spurs fans who still rate the FA Cup)
We haven't won either of the big two trophies yet but we've put ourselves in a position to give them a crack despite being spending minnows.
People predicted we'd go backwards big time this season not playing at White Hart Lane with the Wembley curse, I was one of them!
I'm a very proud Spurs fan and always will be as we're definitely overachieving recently and things will only get better when we settle into our new state of the art Stadium. :D
I just thank Christ we don't have a home ground like the Olympic Stadium Library. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby RB » Mon May 14, 2018 8:08 pm

whufc wrote:

FB_IMG_1526206819719.jpg

Shit even we won the intertoto cup since you've won anything of real note and we are junk

Spurs actually won the League Cup in 2008.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 14, 2018 9:14 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:

FB_IMG_1526206819719.jpg

The most irrelevant trophy in England only second to the charity shield
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon May 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Wedgie wrote:
whufc wrote:

FB_IMG_1526206819719.jpg

We're not a big 4 club mate, we're consistently a big 3 club now and we pay half of what the other clubs in the top 6 do.
I'd rather be in the champions league every year instead of winning a FA, League or Europa Cup, there's only two cups worth winning. Champions League and the EPL title. Little clubs can worry about the other trophies IMHO.
(And don't get me wrong, this attitude irks a lot of old Spurs fans who still rate the FA Cup)
We haven't won either of the big two trophies yet but we've put ourselves in a position to give them a crack despite being spending minnows.
People predicted we'd go backwards big time this season not playing at White Hart Lane with the Wembley curse, I was one of them!
I'm a very proud Spurs fan and always will be as we're definitely overachieving recently and things will only get better when we settle into our new state of the art Stadium. :D
I just thank Christ we don't have a home ground like the Olympic Stadium Library. ;)

No doubt Spurs over achieve but hardly big 3!!!

You can't be big 3 when you haven't won a major trophy in 25 years, geez even Leicester, Blackburn and Leeds have won more major trophies than Tottenham since there last one.

Until Tottenham can win a major a trophy they will continue to be the Adelaide Crows of the EPL 'Applying Consistent Pressure' with no silverware to show for it.

West Ham will continue to be St Kilda or Melbourne.

We are all proud of the clubs we support just most Tottenham fans I know believe they have actually achieved more than they have. A lot like Crows fans as well actually.
Last edited by whufc on Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 pm

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
whufc wrote:

FB_IMG_1526206819719.jpg

No doubt Spurs over achieve but hardly big 3!!!

You can't be big 3 when you haven't won a major trophy in 25 years, geez even Leicester, Blackburn and Leeds have won more major trophies than Tottenham since there last one.

Until Tottenham can win a major a trophy they will continue to be the Adelaide Crows of the EPL 'Applying Consistent Pressure' with no silverware to show for it.

West Ham will continue to be St Kilda or Melbourne.

Spurs haven’t won the league in over 50 years why you only saying 25? :lol:

You forgot Everton, they won a league title in the 80s.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm

They did win the FA Cup in 91 when it still meant something
whufc
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon May 14, 2018 9:26 pm

whufc wrote:They did win the FA Cup in 91 when it still meant something

Oh sorry though you said major trophy.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 am

whufc wrote:
RB wrote:
whufc wrote:

FB_IMG_1526206819719.jpg

The most irrelevant trophy in England only second to the charity shield

We won the Anglo-Scottish Cup in 78/79 after thrashing Celtic over two legs in the SF ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby JK » Tue May 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Getting tough to live with these nerves, struggling to focus on work thinking about Sunday morning. Don't like our chances and hope we dont have our strides pulled down. Think our only hope (which I guess is a slight possibility) is to bang in 3 or more. Real have a full and fit squad to select from which unfortunately we don't, but no excuses, our starters will be pretty much our first choice 11. Whilst Mo' is probably due, I reckon Mane holds the key for the Reds.

Our last final (v Sevilla 15/16 Europa) showed an alarming lack of mental fortitude and there's a few in this current group that played that night - Hope the boys can show some spine and fight this time around and do the club proud either way.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Tue May 22, 2018 1:44 pm

JK wrote:Getting tough to live with these nerves, struggling to focus on work thinking about Sunday morning. Don't like our chances and hope we dont have our strides pulled down. Think our only hope (which I guess is a slight possibility) is to bang in 3 or more. Real have a full and fit squad to select from which unfortunately we don't, but no excuses, our starters will be pretty much our first choice 11. Whilst Mo' is probably due, I reckon Mane holds the key for the Reds.

Our last final (v Sevilla 15/16 Europa) showed an alarming lack of mental fortitude and there's a few in this current group that played that night - Hope the boys can show some spine and fight this time around and do the club proud either way.

Liverpool will win, mate.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Tue May 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Spargo wrote:
JK wrote:Getting tough to live with these nerves, struggling to focus on work thinking about Sunday morning. Don't like our chances and hope we dont have our strides pulled down. Think our only hope (which I guess is a slight possibility) is to bang in 3 or more. Real have a full and fit squad to select from which unfortunately we don't, but no excuses, our starters will be pretty much our first choice 11. Whilst Mo' is probably due, I reckon Mane holds the key for the Reds.

F*** I hope you're right mate, I still remember how crazy it was in 2005 when we got up .. I give us about a %20 chance, but where there's light there's hope I guess :D [-o< [-o< [-o<
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty hounds » Tue May 22, 2018 2:57 pm

JK wrote:
Spargo wrote:

F*** I hope you're right mate, I still remember how crazy it was in 2005 when we got up .. I give us about a %20 chance, but where there's light there's hope I guess :D [-o< [-o< [-o<

When you’re not Spurs and beating Real Madrid gives you a real trophy and not a fake one :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby mickey » Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Where you watching the game JK? me and the 14yo are heading to marion to watch it in the cinema... if she was at her mums I'd be getting to the Arkaba

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 22, 2018 6:18 pm

What time is it? I'm working Saturday night and it might give me something to watch in the slow hours.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer