European Super League

The World Game

European Super League

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:44 am

Almost official now that Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Athletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter and AC Milan will be forming their own comp without relegation and will mke HUGE money.
Most of the soccer world is in uproar and rightfully so.
Looks like I'll need a new Premier League club, go Leeds United!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: European Super League

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 am

Wedgie wrote:Almost official now that Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Athletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter and AC Milan will be forming their own comp without relegation and will mke HUGE money.
I still don’t see it going ahead.
Clubs will be banned from domestic leagues and any players joining the new comp would be banned from ALL Internationals. The lure of the World Cup is too much IMO
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:09 am

Let's hope so Jim.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby JK » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:33 am

Jim05 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Almost official now that Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Athletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter and AC Milan will be forming their own comp without relegation and will mke HUGE money.
I still don’t see it going ahead.
Clubs will be banned from domestic leagues and any players joining the new comp would be banned from ALL Internationals. The lure of the World Cup is too much IMO

Think you’re right, until those things eventually get challenged in court. I have no love for the crooks at EUFA who this targets the most, but the flow on effects seem potentially too detrimental for all other clubs in Europe.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:04 pm

What a load of wank.

All because tin pot clubs like Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, Everton have threatened to have 5 minutes of fame and break up the big six for the odd season.

Wankers.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:53 pm

Smacks of selfishness. Literally no-one wins from this except the 12 clubs. Hopefully the backlash is significant enough to scuttle it.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm

I love Gary Neville's response. He wants immediate action taken on the six English clubs .... points deducted and placed at the bottom of the EPL table. I wonder what the odds are for West Ham to win the title and Sheffield United to avoid relegation?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:30 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:I love Gary Neville's response. He wants immediate action taken on the six English clubs .... points deducted and placed at the bottom of the EPL table. I wonder what the odds are for West Ham to win the title and Sheffield United to avoid relegation?
I love Gary but the FA would have no authority to deduct points for what essentially is a UEFA issue
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:32 pm

whufc wrote:What a load of wank.

All because tin pot clubs like Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, Everton have threatened to have 5 minutes of fame and break up the big six for the odd season.

Wankers.

Lol hate to burst your bubble mate, but they've been talking about this for at least 4 years and it's arisen from their belief that UEFA haven't been compensating CL teams anywhere near to the level they should be given the revenue the big CL games generate. And lets be honest only the Foxes have bucked the trend, none of those others mentioned would have caused any concern.

Still think this has a long way to go to get off the ground. All domestic leagues are against it, EUFA and FIFA against, and all commentary Ive seen from United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans have been vehemently opposed to it. His created and irreparable relationship between supporters and club owners it seems.

Ultimately this is borne out of the ever escalating costs showcased by the obscene player wages these days .. Maybe if the various governing bodies policed FFP properly it could have helped prevent a situation like this from occurring.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:34 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:I love Gary Neville's response. He wants immediate action taken on the six English clubs .... points deducted and placed at the bottom of the EPL table. I wonder what the odds are for West Ham to win the title and Sheffield United to avoid relegation?

Gary Neville is perhaps one of the most unpopular pundits ever among passionate Liverpool supporters, but %99 of them wholeheartedly agree with his comments about smacking these wantaway clubs, including his (and their) own.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:00 pm

FB_IMG_1618806511029.jpg
FB_IMG_1618806511029.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:24 pm

JK wrote:

Wankers.

Lol hate to burst your bubble mate, but they've been talking about this for at least 4 years and it's arisen from their belief that UEFA haven't been compensating CL teams anywhere near to the level they should be given the revenue the big CL games generate. And lets be honest only the Foxes have bucked the trend, none of those others mentioned would have caused any concern.

Still think this has a long way to go to get off the ground. All domestic leagues are against it, EUFA and FIFA against, and all commentary Ive seen from United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans have been vehemently opposed to it. His created and irreparable relationship between supporters and club owners it seems.

Ultimately this is borne out of the ever escalating costs showcased by the obscene player wages these days .. Maybe if the various governing bodies policed FFP properly it could have helped prevent a situation like this from occurring.

I maybe added a few extra but the reasoning I mentioned is correct. All started when Leicester stole the title in 15/16 and all the big clubs panicked, especially as Southampton / West Ham finished that year in 6/7 and Liverpool and Chelsea finished 9th and 11th respectively.

I don't believe its about not getting an appropriate piece of the pie more about the financial pressure when they don't get any piece of the pie because they miss out and have set themselves up financially reliant on CL income rather than an income bonus.
whufc
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:30 pm

whufc wrote:
JK wrote:

Wankers.

I maybe added a few extra but the reasoning I mentioned is correct. All started when Leicester stole the title in 15/16 and all the big clubs panicked, especially as Southampton / West Ham finished that year in 6/7 and Liverpool and Chelsea finished 9th and 11th respectively.

Nope. Happy to agree to disagree .. This all stems from the "bigger" clubs (I hate that term but didn't know how else to identify them) vs EUFA. Those clubs have been complaining to EUFA for a long time and tried to have changes implemented (rightly or wrongly, I wouldn't know) which would have seen a reduction in the number of qualifying spots, but not only did EUFA ignore that feedback, they added other spots.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:13 pm

So, they are planning to start this League in August with 20 teams. The 12 already mentioned plus 3 additional permanent clubs and 5 clubs who qualify each year. I assume they are targeting PSG, Bayern Munich and Dortmund as the permanents, but it sounds like the French are resisting. Also I thought, with a couple of exceptions, all the German clubs are majority owned by their fans, so I assume they would need to get them to endorse any move. UEFA will announce their revamped 36 team Champions League next Monday. Will be fascinating to see how it plays out. I know there has already been fan backlash, but I wish we had crowds at games .... would love to see and hear their reaction.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby JK » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:36 pm

I reckon announcing the rebel breakaway comp on the same day as EUFA announcing a new CL format/structure is fairly significant. Seems a power play by the wealthier clubs that might very well be posturing to try and get improved EUFA conditions. Hopefully that’s all it is and everything remains relatively as is.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:48 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:So, they are planning to start this League in August with 20 teams. The 12 already mentioned plus 3 additional permanent clubs and 5 clubs who qualify each year. I assume they are targeting PSG, Bayern Munich and Dortmund as the permanents, but it sounds like the French are resisting. Also I thought, with a couple of exceptions, all the German clubs are majority owned by their fans, so I assume they would need to get them to endorse any move. UEFA will announce their revamped 36 team Champions League next Monday. Will be fascinating to see how it plays out. I know there has already been fan backlash, but I wish we had crowds at games .... would love to see and hear their reaction.

RB Leipzig would probably jump at it.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:07 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:So, they are planning to start this League in August with 20 teams. The 12 already mentioned plus 3 additional permanent clubs and 5 clubs who qualify each year. I assume they are targeting PSG, Bayern Munich and Dortmund as the permanents, but it sounds like the French are resisting. Also I thought, with a couple of exceptions, all the German clubs are majority owned by their fans, so I assume they would need to get them to endorse any move. UEFA will announce their revamped 36 team Champions League next Monday. Will be fascinating to see how it plays out. I know there has already been fan backlash, but I wish we had crowds at games .... would love to see and hear their reaction.

RB Leipzig would probably jump at it.

Well, they can't be any more hated than they are now.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:00 am

JK wrote:I reckon announcing the rebel breakaway comp on the same day as EUFA announcing a new CL format/structure is fairly significant. Seems a power play by the wealthier clubs that might very well be posturing to try and get improved EUFA conditions. Hopefully that’s all it is and everything remains relatively as is.

There definitely is a level of posturing but look at some of the new conditions Champions League are proposing 'spots given to elite clubs who fail to qualify'
Its not about getting their 'fair' piece of the pie its about being guaranteed a piece of the pie because they know clubs are closing in on them as each year goes on.

The club owners/board/directors are claiming this about CL revenue and wanting their piece of the pie but that's just a bluff, they want to be guaranteed champions league football every single year.

Even if the CL changes some rules etc the super league proposal is still going to be a better business proposition so ultimately that will still be their long term goal.
whufc
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:23 am

I liken it a bit to when Eddie McGuire argued that Collingwoods position as the most watched club should have seen them earn more, rather than sit in a pool that’s distributed equally. The owners, as business people do, are focused only on financial opportunities and their bottom line. That’s the problem, they are businessmen first and foremost and football supporters a very very distant second. Football has been such a booming business, it sold its soul to the devil decades ago through foreign ownership and the greed and corruption of EUFA, FIFA and the FA’s, insane player wages etc.. Well now it’s coming home to roost. You have Real and Barca on the verge of bankruptcy so they’re desperate for this super league to go ahead (or changes to the current setup that massively increase their revenue share). The Yank owners now trying to Americanize a European football competition for their own $elf $erving purposes.

From an article I just read that included comments from an ECA spokesperson, it sounded to me like they’ll try to adapt the current EUFA comps to placate clubs with the bigger global followings to increase their earnings and retain the current setups. Hopefully it’s a case of the owners calling EUFA’s bluff, and all parties reach a happy agreement and we effectively keep what we’ve got.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm

i say let those clubs pi55 off
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer