UNDER 14's & 16's SUNDAYS

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: UNDER 14's & 16's SUNDAYS

Postby shoe boy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:36 am

well put Waterboy.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby flaggyfalcon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 pm

[quote="Waterboy"] I don't have much to do with amateurs, but I'm told that caping works there. Can anyone with first hand knowledge of amateur sub-juniors comment?
quote]

It can't be too good, because wasnt one of the major reasons townies made the switch is that they prefered the SFL's junior system
flaggyfalcon
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby shoe boy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:57 pm

flaggyfalcon wrote:
Waterboy wrote: I don't have much to do with amateurs, but I'm told that caping works there. Can anyone with first hand knowledge of amateur sub-juniors comment?
quote]

It can't be too good, because wasnt one of the major reasons townies made the switch is that they prefered the SFL's junior system

Amateures dont play juniours on sat like we do.

That is why when you go watch an amateur game the crowd consists of a man and his dog?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 pm

Some good points water boy, i agree that it would be hard to turn back kids at any time but if you could field a under 8s,9s,10s 11s,12s,13s,14s teams and so on you could get more kids to your club and you wouldn't need dual sides.There is more of a chance of having those team play at the same ground after each other. There wouldn't be much chance of having both your 6/7 teams or both your under 14 teams playing at the same ground. Getting a Draw up and going is always going to be an issue, if you are trying to fit 20 teams in one grade or trying to make one up for 8 different grades thats why we have those smart people at the SFL for. Morphettville Parks big problem has been that for the last few years getting a team from the 6/7 grade to under 14s. With the small numbers we have each year, we only have half a team to go up and trying to get the other half of the 6/7 team to play under 14s is not an option. If we could step through grades like they do in Metro sth these player would eventually go on to play senior football for us. Would the SFL miss 3 teams from the minis?
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:07 pm

flaggyfalcon wrote:
Waterboy wrote: I don't have much to do with amateurs, but I'm told that caping works there. Can anyone with first hand knowledge of amateur sub-juniors comment?
quote]

speaking to a few edwardstown people they won't be bringing there junior grades over anytime soon.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Postby shoe boy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:09 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:
flaggyfalcon wrote:
quote]

speaking to a few edwardstown people they won't be bringing there junior grades over anytime soon.

No because they dont have any they are a complete seperate club juniours/seniours but they expect to put a 18 side on the park???(sorry for the contradiction thats just as it is)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby lion heart » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:19 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Some good points water boy, i agree that it would be hard to turn back kids at any time but if you could field a under 8s,9s,10s 11s,12s,13s,14s teams and so on you could get more kids to your club and you wouldn't need dual sides.There is more of a chance of having those team play at the same ground after each other. There wouldn't be much chance of having both your 6/7 teams or both your under 14 teams playing at the same ground. Getting a Draw up and going is always going to be an issue, if you are trying to fit 20 teams in one grade or trying to make one up for 8 different grades thats why we have those smart people at the SFL for. Morphettville Parks big problem has been that for the last few years getting a team from the 6/7 grade to under 14s. With the small numbers we have each year, we only have half a team to go up and trying to get the other half of the 6/7 team to play under 14s is not an option. If we could step through grades like they do in Metro sth these player would eventually go on to play senior football for us. Would the SFL miss 3 teams from the minis?

That is the exact same situation we find ourselves in and every year we have to give up our 6-12 under 14 players to other clubs. Maybe this proposal could be an answer for us.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:32 pm

The issue with the Morphy Park proposal is that teams in respective age groupings will become a moving feast from year to year and doing a draw will be impossible.

Lets assume Rey, MV, Cove, BB, FH, HV continue to have 6 teams which means they could field Under 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. What about the other 9 clubs. You may have Lonsdale with U8 and U11. Morphy Park with 9,11,13, Aldinga with 8, 10, 12 and so on. How would you structure a programme with many of the smaller clubs not even matching up with age groups. Then it would all change again the next year when every kid at the smaller clubs are a year older.

If Cove and Brighton were to play each other then the Under 13 game would be played at around 2.00pm, which destroys a whole Sunday (particularly with a younger sibling in Under 8 or 9). The beauty of Mini's with 3 games on a Sunday is that it is all over by 12 noon. This allows families to attend family events on a Sunday or go to AAMI stadium for Crows or Power etc.

The current structure (whether it stays as is or goes to 8, 10, 12) gives every club a fair chance of fielding at least one team in every age category and extra teams if they can. The SFL probably got it wrong last year by allowing HV and Cove to field 3 Year 4/5 sides and that did stuff things around a bit. Dual sides may create a little division in the clubs that have them but Brighton have coped with this for 6 or 7 years without too many problems. All the kids train together on a Friday night and often they combine the respective age groups.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 288 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Real McCoy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:41 pm

shoe boy wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:
flaggyfalcon wrote:
quote]

No because they dont have any they are a complete seperate club juniours/seniours but they expect to put a 18 side on the park???(sorry for the contradiction thats just as it is)

So if the juniors are are seperate club from the seniors, wouldn't the juniors play under a different name?
Real McCoy
Under 16s

Postby Real McCoy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm

DTH, The junior draw last year wasn't perfect, i remember Brighton's U/18's having to play at Marion 2 weeks in a row, yes the seniors played there 1 week but not the second & Marion didn't have U/18's.
Real McCoy
Under 16s

Postby shoe boy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Real McCoy wrote:DTH, The junior draw last year wasn't perfect, i remember Brighton's U/18's having to play at Marion 2 weeks in a row, yes the seniors played there 1 week but not the second & Marion didn't have U/18's.

Dont go ther RM as the draw was a schocker for all!!!

I am not sure if Edwardstown kids play under the name but the clubs are seperate identitys.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:59 pm

wont they be bringing juniors into the SFL in the next couple of years?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Completely different situation Real McCoy and not ideal but only happens once or twice per year to each club due to some clubs not fielding full Saturday juniors. This thread has been discussing the Sunday primary school age comp which is unrelated to your comments.

The problem with the Metro South comp (PHOS Camden, Plympton, Ed'town, Goodwood etc.) is that the league was formed to cater for the masses of kids in that region who can't play club footy due to school footy. Many of the kids go to colleges or end at up colleges once they get to year 8. The only major public high school in that zone is Unley High and I reckon they play in the College Saturday comp anyway, excluding those kids from Saturday club footy, whereas our local high schools don't have school footy. Some of these junior teams use the ovals and adopt the name and colours of where they play but thats about where the relationship with the club ends. Apologies to Kenilworth, Goodwood and PHOC Camden who I believe do their best to operate as one club.

Take it from me, I have spoken to some people who run that comp and their attitude was we don't give a stuff about the senior clubs that our kids represent, provided we can access their grounds and facilities. This is why Edwardstown SFL will have very little control over bringing the Metro South juniors into SFL. They may as well call their juniors Melrose Park or Castle Plaza United.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 288 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Real McCoy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:24 pm

Fair enough DTH,

I would like to see an u/17 comp on the Sunday,

Let's say a kid is in his last year of U/16's footy and is playing in the sunday comp, he then goes out the following year and tries out for the U/18's and dosen't make it, he may try another club, he may walk away from footy, which is what we don't want.
With the U/17's comp, if he didn't make the U/18's at least with the U/17 comp he could go back and play there and try to devolepe a bit more giving him another shot at U/18 level the following year.

This will may also help the clubs like Morphy PK, OSB, etc to get some kids who work on saturdays, in Morphy's case who have some collagues around them they might be able to pick up some players from them.

All the high schools in the Morphy area, most have been knocked down.
Real McCoy
Under 16s

Postby Old and Grey » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:24 pm

Down the Hill wrote:The problem with the Metro South comp (PHOS Camden, Plympton, Ed'town, Goodwood etc.) is that the league was formed to cater for the masses of kids in that region who can't play club footy due to school footy. Many of the kids go to colleges or end at up colleges once they get to year 8. The only major public high school in that zone is Unley High and I reckon they play in the College Saturday comp anyway, excluding those kids from Saturday club footy, whereas our local high schools don't have school footy. Some of these junior teams use the ovals and adopt the name and colours of where they play but thats about where the relationship with the club ends. Apologies to Kenilworth, Goodwood and PHOC Camden who I believe do their best to operate as one club.

Down the Hill wrote:The issue with the Morphy Park proposal is that teams in respective age groupings will become a moving feast from year to year and doing a draw will be impossible.

Lets assume Rey, MV, Cove, BB, FH, HV continue to have 6 teams which means they could field Under 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. What about the other 9 clubs. You may have Lonsdale with U8 and U11. Morphy Park with 9,11,13, Aldinga with 8, 10, 12 and so on. How would you structure a programme with many of the smaller clubs not even matching up with age groups. Then it would all change again the next year when every kid at the smaller clubs are a year older.

If Cove and Brighton were to play each other then the Under 13 game would be played at around 2.00pm, which destroys a whole Sunday (particularly with a younger sibling in Under 8 or 9). The beauty of Mini's with 3 games on a Sunday is that it is all over by 12 noon. This allows families to attend family events on a Sunday or go to AAMI stadium for Crows or Power etc.

The current structure (whether it stays as is or goes to 8, 10, 12) gives every club a fair chance of fielding at least one team in every age category and extra teams if they can. The SFL probably got it wrong last year by allowing HV and Cove to field 3 Year 4/5 sides and that did stuff things around a bit. Dual sides may create a little division in the clubs that have them but Brighton have coped with this for 6 or 7 years without too many problems. All the kids train together on a Friday night and often they combine the respective age groups.

DB are you discounting William Light High, Hamilton, Pasadena and Seview High Schools or does Brighton High and Primary Schools supply you with enough kids?

Couldn't Morphy Pk, Marion & Brighton be also emcompassed in the Metro South zone, after all they did play against majority of those clubs in the old Glenelg South league?

The SFL draw has it's flaws now with 20+ sides in each of the mini league grades so why would possible under comps with X number of teams be any different. Just because there may be the oppotunity for 6 age group brackets this would be the equivalent of 2 teams in each of the SFL year levels? Once the draw is done for an age group that draw can follow the moving feast? You have 3 of the age group at home and the other 3 away - still finish by midday!
Old and Grey
Mini-League

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:29 am

[quote="Down the Hill"]Completely different situation Real McCoy and not ideal but only happens once or twice per year to each club due to some clubs not fielding full Saturday juniors. This thread has been discussing the Sunday primary school age comp which is unrelated to your comments.

The problem with the Metro South comp (PHOS Camden, Plympton, Ed'town, Goodwood etc.) is that the league was formed to cater for the masses of kids in that region who can't play club footy due to school footy. Many of the kids go to colleges or end at up colleges once they get to year 8. The only major public high school in that zone is Unley High and I reckon they play in the College Saturday comp anyway, excluding those kids from Saturday club footy, whereas our local high schools don't have school footy. Some of these junior teams use the ovals and adopt the name and colours of where they play but thats about where the relationship with the club ends. Apologies to Kenilworth, Goodwood and PHOC Camden who I believe do their best to operate as one club.

Take it from me, I have spoken to some people who run that comp and their attitude was we don't give a stuff about the senior clubs that our kids represent, provided we can access their grounds and facilities. This is why Edwardstown SFL will have very little control over bringing the Metro South juniors into SFL. They may as well call their juniors Melrose Park or Castle Plaza United.[/quote]

I have spoken to some of those people who run that comp and I tell you what they have more idea about junior football compared to the people running it at the SFL, the SFL moto seems to be as long as all the kids get a game, its gotten a bit bigger than that. They need to put structures in place to guide these kids through to senior football and if they keep going the way they are by bowing to all the top clubs it will come back to bite them in the butt
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Postby vics01 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:44 am

WHEELS & DEALS.
I have spoken to some of those people who run that comp and I tell you what they have more idea about junior football compared to the people running it at the SFL, the SFL moto seems to be as long as all the kids get a game, its gotten a bit bigger than that. They need to put structures in place to guide these kids through to senior football and if they keep going the way they are by bowing to all the top clubs it will come back to bite them in the butt

That is a very harsh statement and a very inaccurate statement to make. A lot of good people put a lot of work into junior football and especially development within the SFL. Mini's is about participation and developing the kids so they are better able to handle football from 14/16/18 onwards. There are a number of people at the so called top clubs that would be offended by your comments. Clubs like Cove/Flaggies/Valley/Porties/Emus/Winies/Shoes/Bombers and a few others work very hard to maintain their junior sides and numbers. Hopefully this week the 8/10/12/14/16/18 structure will be adopted and strengthen what already is a very good junior competition. SFL Juniors in preseason aquit themselves very well against teams from other leagues.

WHEELS & DEALS:
So does this mean that the Morphettville Park proposal has been voted on and won't be an option for this year? A few questions for anyone out there who cares about junior football.
1/ what do people think of having 20 teams in each grade for 2/3s, 4/5s and 6/7s?
2/ what are your veiws on clubs with dual sides and should they be caped.
3 If Morphettville Parks proposal was voted out, how would other club feel if there juniors left the SFL and went and played with the Metro sth League?????

Morphettville Park proposal was voted out.
If the numbers are there we will just have to adapt and structure draws around the numbers after all minis is about participation they dont play for points. If we decide to turn kids away they will only go and play another sport or worse still not play sport at all
Why would a club want to have capped numbers? How do you cap a age group, every kid is a valuable asset to a club, you never know what you are turning away, future afl/sanfl/a grade player or sponsor or club man. Kids want to play with their mates for the most part, if a kid wants to play with his mates at brighton he hardly likely to go and play at Morphie parks if Brighton say sorry we have 28 already you have to go and play at Morphie Parks. Part or morphies argument was that could not field teams with the numbers they have, if they have a shortage of numbers would it not be better to bracket the kids into two years per age group rather than one year in each age.
If they take their kids to the Metro South it would be sad loss for the Morphies kids but not really going to affect other SFL clubs. After all with no 14/16/18 in the last few years it has only served as a loss to the clubs with juniors that have to have a bye or play Juniors away from the seniors when they play Morphies not to mention loss of cash for home games when you really only get two games for the day and small crowds.
Morphies need to have a look at and maybe speak to a couple of other clubs who were in similar positions 5 to 10 years ago but worked and continue to work to get junior numbers. Cove for example had no real junior structure 8 years ago but have worked it's but off and has now paid off with a lot of these juniors playing A grade. Morphett Vale also shows what you get for working hard, majority of A grade came through the ranks. you get out what you put in.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Old and Grey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 am

vics01 wrote:
Morphies need to have a look at and maybe speak to a couple of other clubs who were in similar positions 5 to 10 years ago but worked and continue to work to get junior numbers. Cove for example had no real junior structure 8 years ago but have worked it's but off and has now paid off with a lot of these juniors playing A grade. Morphett Vale also shows what you get for working hard, majority of A grade came through the ranks. you get out what you put in.

This is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Cove is in a booming growth area and Moprhett Vale covers a very large area that has also had big growth over the years. Morphettville Park/Marion/Brighton are in an older area with very minimal growth. Not many young families or 20-30 year olds moving into the areas.
Old and Grey
Mini-League

Postby shoe boy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:50 am

Old and Grey wrote:
vics01 wrote:

This is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Cove is in a booming growth area and Moprhett Vale covers a very large area that has also had big growth over the years. Morphettville Park/Marion/Brighton are in an older area with very minimal growth. Not many young families or 20-30 year olds moving into the areas.

Must say your looking pretty good Old and Grey :-bd
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby vics01 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:19 pm

2006 Demographics from the suburbs you mentioned Old and Grey

HALLETT COVE and surrounding suburbs where Cove recruit juniors

0 to 17 18 to 35
5,462 4814

MORPHETTVILLE PARK and surrounding suburbs where juniors can be recruited

0 to 17 18 to 35
4,636 5350

I havn't got the time at work to look at Morphett Vale but i imagine it would be similar and they also have other clubs around them with who they compete.

Schools are the breeding grounds maybe a concerted push in the local primary schools will encourage kids to come out with their mates as it is a bit late in high school as they are already involved.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL