Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:49 pm

The conversation should be had with open minds, things might not change for a few years but at least have the conversation. If not clubs will be forced to make their own decisions. Sounds like the only thing stopping it is another sport.

Bag the SFL but it is the only one of the 4 comps where every club has a full suite of juniors.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:52 pm

Better than even chance they won’t be Robinson Crusoe with that next year. My pings and Yank have announced they plan to go it alone with juniors in 2020. Pongy have already announced a coach for their Senior Colts.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 am

Dutchy wrote:The conversation should be had with open minds, things might not change for a few years but at least have the conversation. If not clubs will be forced to make their own decisions. Sounds like the only thing stopping it is another sport.

Bag the SFL but it is the only one of the 4 comps where every club has a full suite of juniors.

Dutchy the conversation has legs with the SACFL having a duty of care involving all stakeholders and a vision of what football should look like in coming years including restructuring the SANFL .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 am

am Bays wrote:Better than even chance they won’t be Robinson Crusoe with that next year. My pings and Yank have announced they plan to go it alone with juniors in 2020. Pongy have already announced a coach for their Senior Colts.

Time will tell on that one, those 2 teams/towns would have to be the most obvious ones in country SA to merge.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Good chat. I think the GSFL is going “fine” but fine is not good enough and we all need to be thinking laterally and future proofing footy south of the city. Netball is a real factor for us but I dare say the Great Southern netball comp in the not too distant future will be mid week. This is already happening in tennis to increase participation. Netball I’m assuming would be considering avoiding the clash with women’s footy. A battle they’re probably losing at present, A southern super league I think is the way forward, 30 clubs can easily be found south of Mt Barker/ Cove, north of Goolwa /Victor, East of Yank, West of Langhorne Creek. Competition would be more even, travel wouldn’t be outrageous and a promotion / relegation system would see footy being exciting and competitive to the end and would allow clubs to compete within their means. The juniors would be a big sticking point. Right now we (Goolwa / Pt E) would be div 3. That would suit our senior sides, but our juniors beat Victor Harbor on the weekend by 21 goals. They’d be in div 1, so you could only imagine what a Noarlunga or Flagstaff side would win by in the juniors
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 pm

theres 3 vacancies left in ADFL div 6 & 7 and Salisbury West is knocking on one of those doors, youd wanna get in quick there cos dunno how the ADFL will absorb the rest of the SFL clubs and I doubt this so called Southern Super League will find any feet for another 5 years
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby mutton cove » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Looks Good in Leather.
GSFL. 2.5 games between 1st & 5th 3.5 games between 1st & 6th. SFL 7 games between 1st & 5th. 9 games between 1st & 9th. GSFL any of the top five could win the premiership. SFL It's a matter of who comes second.
Dutchy.
Recruits are attracted to GSFL because of the competition, facilities, country family atmosphere and the strong administration. Same salary cap in both leagues.
Football and Netball together play a huge roll the country community sporting calendar. GSFL full house no vacancies.
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Huge Role.

I never said it wasn't a good comp, it is and I enjoy watching the live stream of the games, but be honest the recruits are needed as you wouldn't have a comp without them, While people always want to compare the comps, they are different with SFL being very much a recruit from within comp and a heavier focus on its juniors.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mutton cove » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:27 am

Dutchy.
GSFL has 126 points allocated between 10 clubs, SFL has 122 points allocated between 9 clubs. GSFL has a great product.
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:07 am

mutton cove wrote:Looks Good in Leather.
GSFL. 2.5 games between 1st & 5th 3.5 games between 1st & 6th. SFL 7 games between 1st & 5th. 9 games between 1st & 9th. GSFL any of the top five could win the premiership. SFL It's a matter of who comes second.

My comment was about the netball competition. What's your point?

The GSFL is a great competition at the moment, I do see some massive challenges over the next few years however. The GSFL is designed around small country towns with two clubs based in growing suburban locations (McLaren and Willunga). These two clubs will have to turn away kids as there is no scope or allowance within the league to expand beyond the two colts grades and the micky mouse Modies program.

There will come a time that both clubs will outgrow the GSFL and will seek additional flexibility to manage their junior programs. Willunga left the SFL as the competition was changing as a result of the inclusion of suburban clubs and they saw themselves as a small country town. Clubs from places like Christies Beach, Morphett Vale, Reynella and Port Noarlunga, and later Happy Valley and Flagstaff Hill. They departed at the point that Morphettville Park, Marion and Plympton joined.

Willunga and McLaren are now the two suburban invaders of the country GSFL competition.

This century over half of the GSFL premierships have been hogged by two clubs (Willunga and Langhorne Creek), and only 4 others have won 1 or more.

In the SFL we have had 8 different clubs win premierships over the same period.

In the past 25 seasons, all bar one of our A-Grade clubs has won a Premiership, GSFL has three that have not and those go back well over 30 years - they are currently the bottom 3 clubs.

So you can pull any sort of stats to present your particular competition in whatever light you want. Both leagues cater for different markets - most of the criticism of the SFL comes from a complete lack of understanding of it, likewise the GSFL is far from the utopian competition.

Both Leagues have their challenges, difference is the SFL in recent years has had the strength to make tough decisions, move on some clubs that did not fit correctly, and is now much better placed to strengthen and develop. Unlike the GSFL, the SFL is not a closed shop and there is one vacancy available for the right club, it will be interesting to see which club is forward thinking enough to take it.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby shoe boy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:31 am

marbles wrote:theres 3 vacancies left in ADFL div 6 & 7 and Salisbury West is knocking on one of those doors, youd wanna get in quick there cos dunno how the ADFL will absorb the rest of the SFL clubs and I doubt this so called Southern Super League will find any feet for another 5 years

No interest in the ADFL never will .

We play a full set in all sides in the SFL with under 13 starting then 15 , 17.5 , B , A grade to make a great day of footy with great crowds and atmosphere unlike the games in the ADFL i have attended where the crowd has consisted of 2 blokes and a dog in the park lands or a park with no shelter , I am sure most clubs in the ADFL don't field junior sides and those that do play on Sunday and would guess the senior side have zero connection of their junior sides or couldnt name the captain of any junior sides .

Also each Monday is like reading a horror movie of who belted who , which club is about to be removed ...............

Just my opinion
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby marbles » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:57 am

shoe boy wrote:
marbles wrote:theres 3 vacancies left in ADFL div 6 & 7 and Salisbury West is knocking on one of those doors, youd wanna get in quick there cos dunno how the ADFL will absorb the rest of the SFL clubs and I doubt this so called Southern Super League will find any feet for another 5 years

No interest in the ADFL never will .

We play a full set in all sides in the SFL with under 13 starting then 15 , 17.5 , B , A grade to make a great day of footy with great crowds and atmosphere unlike the games in the ADFL i have attended where the crowd has consisted of 2 blokes and a dog in the park lands or a park with no shelter , I am sure most clubs in the ADFL don't field junior sides and those that do play on Sunday and would guess the senior side have zero connection of their junior sides or couldnt name the captain of any junior sides .

Also each Monday is like reading a horror movie of who belted who , which club is about to be removed ...............

Just my opinion

Reading SFL results is like reading a slaughter fest, div 2 level dudes running around kicking amazing goals against a div 7 level dudes, and claiming theyre frikkin wicked all week... delusional much?

Your lounge room sounds wonderful but soon it will have no visitors, maybe you can play internal trial games every week.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm

mutton cove wrote:Dutchy.
GSFL has 126 points allocated between 10 clubs, SFL has 122 points allocated between 9 clubs. GSFL has a great product.

How many are used though? Many examples of 15yo's playing A grade in GSFL to provide the -1 allocation.

I acknowledged the GSFL is a good product, but this isn't a dick measuring excercise, just discussing the differences, recruits are a strength of the GSFL, whereas juniors moving into senior teams is a strength of the SFL.

In Flaggies 3 recent flags, at least 17 of the premiership team played juniors at the club.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby tigerpie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:44 am

Dutchy.
Recruits are attracted to GSFL because of the competition, facilities, country family atmosphere and the strong administration. Same salary cap in both leagues.
Football and Netball together play a huge roll the country community sporting calendar. GSFL full house no vacancies.

Same salary cap yes but inventive ways to get around it. But be honest, most go for the cash!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby mots02 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Dutchy.

I've never, ever known a player to come to a league because of the strength of its administration :lol:
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 898 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby am Bays » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Has SFL commenced after the country break? Nothing coming out of their fab feed since the Port Pirie junket?

GSFL are all over there FB updates
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Thumbs Up » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:55 am

Just to get some opinions from around the place about quality teams around the state. I believe the Noarlunga Football Club's A Grade team would be the best club team outside of the SANFL. If not it would be very close. Nick Mott would be with no doubt the best footballer outside of the SANFL hands down.
Now that is just my opinion but i would love to hear others points of view.
Handorf? Prince Alfred OC? Mt Compass? Tanunda?
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Been liked: 5 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:12 am

Top of the table div 1 teams are pretty handy and would be the best for mine. Outside of the SAAFL Hahndorf, Noarlunga, Tanunda, Angaston, Victor Harbor, Mt Compass and Willunga would all be pretty hard to seperate.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Peter Griffen » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:30 am

Waikerie would be right up there too.
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:30 am

The u17.5 comp this year is an absolute cracker.

1 Happy Valley 20 70.97%
2 Christies Beach 20 67.01%
3 Flagstaff Hill 18 62.81%
4 Noarlunga 16 63.33%
5 Cove 16 58.79%
------------------------------------------------
6 Reynella 16 57.20%

Reynella with an 8-5 record would miss the finals if season stopped now :shock:

Every finals game is going to be real tight.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL