3 UMPIRES IN FINALS

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

3 UMPIRES IN FINALS

Postby pale ale » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 am

Have the SFL Umpiring panel got enough Good Umpires to have 3 in a match.
I watched M/Vale V H/Valley last week and the different way these guys umpired was completely frustrating for all players and spectators.
pale ale
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: 3 UMPIRES IN FINALS

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:47 am

There is no way 3 umpires should be used in any SFL / Country match. All it does is confuse everyone (players, officials and supporters) and it results in WAY too many free kicks being payed. The more whistle happy the umpires get, the more frustrating to watch and play...
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby MatteeG » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Totally agree flyer- at the Reynella v Flaggies game on Sunday there were 3 umpires- 1 gave us a pretty good run, 1 was pretty neutral, and one had total black and white vision. He was the ump who paid the free in the flaggy forward line to reynella (even though the flaggy guy was the retaliator- and the ump definitely saw the first one AND the 'action' all happened after the ball went out of bounds), then gave THREE 50m penalties and sent the Flaggy fella off for 10!

Talk about Over umpiring- the mentioned ump thinks he's a rock star...pity in reality he is still an orange maggot.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:07 pm

MatteeG wrote:Totally agree flyer- at the Reynella v Flaggies game on Sunday there were 3 umpires- 1 gave us a pretty good run, 1 was pretty neutral, and one had total black and white vision. He was the ump who paid the free in the flaggy forward line to reynella (even though the flaggy guy was the retaliator- and the ump definitely saw the first one AND the 'action' all happened after the ball went out of bounds), then gave THREE 50m penalties and sent the Flaggy fella off for 10!

Talk about Over umpiring- the mentioned ump thinks he's a rock star...pity in reality he is still an orange maggot.

That incident was unreal - who has ever seen someone go from the back pocket to the goal line - and your right it was a free kick at the least. I think he was mouthing off a bit though..... quite funny!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby MatteeG » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:21 pm

It was pretty funny in hindsight- he got the 3rd 50 paid when another fly got in his face so he pushed him back! Unbelievable!

We were the loudmouths in the ute right near where the event happened flyer- if ya trying to place me!
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:28 pm

MatteeG wrote:It was pretty funny in hindsight- he got the 3rd 50 paid when another fly got in his face so he pushed him back! Unbelievable!

We were the loudmouths in the ute right near where the event happened flyer- if ya trying to place me!

Haha - the ones giving milo crap . he kicked a miracle goal in front of you boys!!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby MatteeG » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:39 pm

Yeah- he kicked a couple of useful goals near us, and rightfully let us know about each one!

We tried so hard to sledge him but he was taking marks everywhere and slotting through nearly every shot. Reckon he only missed 1 or 2! What did he finish with? Must have been close to the double figures...
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:43 pm

MatteeG wrote:Yeah- he kicked a couple of useful goals near us, and rightfully let us know about each one!

We tried so hard to sledge him but he was taking marks everywhere and slotting through nearly every shot. Reckon he only missed 1 or 2! What did he finish with? Must have been close to the double figures...

8 i think
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby City Mad Hustler » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:45 pm

MatteeG wrote:Totally agree flyer- at the Reynella v Flaggies game on Sunday there were 3 umpires- 1 gave us a pretty good run, 1 was pretty neutral, and one had total black and white vision. He was the ump who paid the free in the flaggy forward line to reynella (even though the flaggy guy was the retaliator- and the ump definitely saw the first one AND the 'action' all happened after the ball went out of bounds), then gave THREE 50m penalties and sent the Flaggy fella off for 10!

Mclaren!
Do you always drink this much?
No i was sober for 11 years...
What happened?
I turned 12!
City Mad Hustler
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby MatteeG » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:53 pm

You know it CMH!!

How did Bostons finish?
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby fisho mcspaz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:22 pm

There's this umpire who is completely bald except for a ridiculous looking ring around his head, that seems to pop up every time Aldinga have a close game, and forget the carrot up the bum, this guy is carrying the whole grocery section around! He is the biggest control freak. Also, for some reason he spent most of the halftime break in the Aldinga/Porties game walking around the oval, staring at the ground. I was going to say 'If you're looking for the rest of your hair, you won't find it on the ground mate!'

Actually, one of my teammates in the SAWFL is an umpire in the SFL, she's been doing a pretty good job from what I've heard.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby City Mad Hustler » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:24 pm

MatteeG wrote:You know it CMH!!

How did Bostons finish?

missed out by % in A grade and by 1 game in the Bees
Do you always drink this much?
No i was sober for 11 years...
What happened?
I turned 12!
City Mad Hustler
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby umpy who? » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:22 pm

hi guys

couldn't help but read this and comment on this one.

the problem with the 3 umpires is it isn't done often enough - it only happens come last round and then obviously finals. You can't learn something that quickly and in that short period of time then expect to work. But it CAN work.

The biggest problem is the size of the grounds. Do we really expect it to work on 2 of the 4 grounds that were visited over the weekend. Noarlunga? Aldinga? You need a big ground to work the system - Christies Beach works well and Port Noarlunga CAN work because it is a reasonable sized ground. And Hickinbotham oval for the GF. But in a Elimination Final at Noarlunga? don't think it's right.

i don't want to comment too much on it though.
umpy who?
Mini-League

Postby Swooper16 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:36 pm

The main problem i could tell from the Valley / Emus game on saturday was the fact that the 3 different umpires had 3 totally different interpretations on how the game should be umpired.

Not sure on his name but i think he is the head of umpiring in SFL - hope he does as many finals as possible.... from what i have seen of him over the years he seems to be one of the few that are happy to let the game flow and umpire within the spirit of the game.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby pale ale » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:07 pm

That was Darren Hinks who is a good umpire, the other two I am afraid arent up to finals
pale ale
Under 16s

Postby t express » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:41 pm

tuffin up matty g was at the game your player was letting out some foul words towards the umpy i would of done the same thing if i was in charge you got pumped,should be a top 5 not 8
t express
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby t express » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:43 pm

AFLflyer wrote:
MatteeG wrote:Yeah- he kicked a couple of useful goals near us, and rightfully let us know about each one!

8 i think

10 goal 2 points boys he was on fire !!
t express
Under 16s

Postby t express » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:46 pm

The umpys are consistently terrible every week now there is three to be disgraced to see control the game !!
t express
Under 16s

Postby MatteeG » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:30 pm

t express wrote:tuffin up matty g was at the game your player was letting out some foul words towards the umpy i would of done the same thing if i was in charge you got pumped,should be a top 5 not 8

Worth 3 50s and a sending off? Not sure about that.....

Dont worry t express- I am tuff enough. :lol:

And I actually agree, there should be a top 5 rather than an 8, the only good it does is exposes clubs like flaggies and Lonsdale last year to finals experience. Ideally 2 divs of 8 teams each with a final 4 and promotion/relegation is the solution but we know that isnt gonna happen anytime soon.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby Bag The Points » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:11 pm

MatteeG wrote:
t express wrote:tuffin up matty g was at the game your player was letting out some foul words towards the umpy i would of done the same thing if i was in charge you got pumped,should be a top 5 not 8

Worth 3 50s and a sending off? Not sure about that.....

Dont worry t express- I am tuff enough. :lol:

And I actually agree, there should be a top 5 rather than an 8, the only good it does is exposes clubs like flaggies and Lonsdale last year to finals experience. Ideally 2 divs of 8 teams each with a final 4 and promotion/relegation is the solution but we know that isnt gonna happen anytime soon.

Yes indeed, if he doesn't shut up !! Its called discipline
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL