COVE v WILLUNGA

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

COVE v WILLUNGA

Postby the big bang » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:40 pm

any chance of this happening pre-season next year as it did this year with the emus v willunga clash, or was that just a one off because of the AFL match that it preceeded?
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: COVE v WILLUNGA

Postby Bag The Points » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:25 pm

From my understanding the Messenger Press want to set it up as a regular event.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby the big bang » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:47 pm

i hope they can arrange something. they used to do it regulary didnt they? i could be wrong. havnt been a crow eater for very long!!
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby hereforthebeer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:12 pm

as far as i understood it was to be an annual game between the premiers of both leagues they played for a shield last year but maybe micky conlon or bj ernest might have a better idea they are willunga boys
who ever thought of the saying winning isn't everything, probably lost!!
hereforthebeer
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby BJ Ernest » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:42 pm

My understanding was the same hftb. An annual event where the premiers of the 2 leagues would play off in the preseason against one another for the Messenger Cup. Last years was great due to the friendly rivalry between MV and Willunga and being before the Power v Freo game was a great incentive.

However, we have had the same preseason for 5-6 years (ie teams played), this has worked well and Cove hasnt been a part of that plan. 5-6 months before this would eventuate though so plenty of time before the concept even needs to be looked at again.
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby Brock Landers » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:48 pm

BJ

Do you think it would work each year without it being a curtain raiser to an AFL match?
Brock Landers
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby pale ale » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:04 pm

I think you will find it will be played at South Adelaide amd may be combined with a league trial game
pale ale
Under 16s

Postby BJ Ernest » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:08 pm

Brock Landers wrote:BJ

Do you think it would work each year without it being a curtain raiser to an AFL match?

I think it would but it solely rests on the players and making themselves available, you dont want 2 half A Grade/B grade sides playing one another. It would be nice to be able to truly tell who the better side was this year (between Cove and Willunga) but by next year players retire, move on etc so by next March it could become a totally different ball game to what it would have been if we played it last weekend.
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby a2m » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:57 pm

As long as your playing BJ my money is on Willunga!!!!
----------------------
Chicks dig scars...
a2m
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby shoe boy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:38 am

I beleive Cove to be way to strong for a good Willunga.
I have attended many GSFL games and each time come away with the same conclusions that Willunga is a stand out in there comp but after that they fall away. The Straph side I watched on Grand final day would be spanked by the top 6 in the SFL .
Just my opinion :)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:17 pm

shoe boy wrote:I beleive Cove to be way to strong for a good Willunga.
I have attended many GSFL games and each time come away with the same conclusions that Willunga is a stand out in there comp but after that they fall away. The Straph side I watched on Grand final day would be spanked by the top 6 in the SFL .

disagree there Shoe. Saw Cove against Brighton at Noarlunga and they won comfortably but Brighton played with no forwards. Cove played a basic brand of footy up and down the lines, not once did they switch play. Willunga would lap that up, the likes of Thomas, Steele, Wadewitz etc etc would sit accross half back and clean up. Willunga would be too creative and i would worry that Cove would have too much reliance on Ramsey to kick goals. How would Cove match up on Willunga's forwards? Willunga by 6 - 8 goals.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:33 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:

disagree there Shoe. Saw Cove against Brighton at Noarlunga and they won comfortably but Brighton played with no forwards. Cove played a basic brand of footy up and down the lines, not once did they switch play. Willunga would lap that up, the likes of Thomas, Steele, Wadewitz etc etc would sit accross half back and clean up. Willunga would be too creative and i would worry that Cove would have too much reliance on Ramsey to kick goals. How would Cove match up on Willunga's forwards? Willunga by 6 - 8 goals.

Your opinion but as I said Willunga a stand out in there comp!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:44 pm

shoe boy wrote:
LuvsFooty wrote:

Your opinion but as I said Willunga a stand out in there comp!

Its the age old story of league v league, we could argue for years but we will never have a concrete answer because they will both never play at full strength under match conditions. The saints are happy, we beat Cove in a trial :lol:
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby Grape Ape » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:52 pm

The scheduling of the game was a problem last year (early March I think). The temp was mid 30's and I know that Willunga had only been training for a few weeks. Morphies in a similar boat I think.

Would be good if the game could be played the weekend before the season proper starts. Then both sides would be fit and have most of their players available.
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Bag The Points » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:17 pm

It was more than a "basic brand of footy" that sorted the Emus out.
I reckon LuvsFooty and Shoe Boy are both a little off the mark. If the match was played with both at full strength there would not be much in it at all. And I wouldn't be confident about picking the winner.
Two wonderful football sides.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby rodney fox » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Bag The Points wrote:It was more than a "basic brand of footy" that sorted the Emus out.
I reckon LuvsFooty and Shoe Boy are both a little off the mark. If the match was played with both at full strength there would not be much in it at all. And I wouldn't be confident about picking the winner.
Two wonderful football sides.

I'll take a seat on the fence with you BTP. Would be great to watch.
rodney fox
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:47 pm

Quite harsh. Haven't seen Willunga play for a few years, but judging by 5 in a row, they can't have dropped that much. I say they'd finish between 4 - 6th in the SFL.

Something about their oval is just ancient indian burial ground; perhaps it's that it's on the diagonal?

Then again, the SFL is home to the pastie and one or more ovals on old rubbish tips
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Bag The Points » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:34 pm

4th - 6th is a bit harsh EV, I'd say probable Grand Finalists !!
If Willunga were to return to the SFL in 2009 their ranking in ability would be, (let's have a think about this) ---- maybe 1 ?
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mr Goodkat » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:49 pm

The same things were being said about Willunga v Morphett Vale last year.

Willunga went and knocked of the Emus & got another premiership! Surely they would be 1-2 in the SFL easily!
Mr Goodkat
Mini-League

Postby know all » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Agree the Demons are a very well drilled side been together for years and got probably the best country forward in the state in Hams.For mind Demonds by 6-8
know all
Rookie

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL