Struggle street - the bottom 8 of the SFL

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Struggle street - the bottom 8 of the SFL

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:48 pm

Harsh, but the top 7 teams for 2009 can be conceded in no particular order as Cove, M/Vale, Valley's, Reynella, Brighton, Porties, and Edwardstown. Now, with all these elite teams maintaining strong juniors and financial position, what chances are there for the remainder of the teams not just battling for 8th this year, but for the next three to five years?

Here's my three to five year prognostications for those on struggle street

Morphetville Park - Yeah, it's a great place for a drink, but you've only got mini's
=> Best Case - 6th to 8th - Denham street bar opens, players stay for the nigthlife
=> Worst Case - Praying for div 2 - One of any number of things fall over, and it's 2007 all over again

Flagstaff Hill
Flagstaff - dougie houser
=> Best Case - 4th to 8th - The kids grow up
=> Worst Case - 8th - 9th - Richmond - 8th in SFL = 9th in AFL

Marion - The Rosemont
=> Best Case - 8th - 9th - Pokies bonanza fuels Excelby recruiting spree
=> Worst Case - See Morphetville Park or merge with and start wearing green, yellow and red kits

The Beach - Numbers without quality
=> Best Case - 8th - 10th - See this year
=> Worst Case - 8th - 10th - See this year

Noarlunga - Good juniors + no neighbours = bright future
=> Best Case - 6th - 10th - Slow but steaty rise to eventually crack the elite 7
=> Worst Case - Turn into Flagstaff hill

Aldinga - Distinctive Homes, are they all playing soccer?
=> Best Case - 8th - 11th - Keep the faith whilst the cash rolls in
=> Worst Case - Willunga charter a bus every hour on sat to pick up their juniors

OSB - Lonsdale - Forget keeping up with the jonses
=> Best Case - 9th - 11th - Tread water and rebuild juniors
=> Worst Case - Passed by hackham, all neighbouring side fill two junior teams per grade, they fill none

Hackham - Powerball anyone?
=> Best Case - 11-12th - Mass arrests decimate M/vale, players flock to Doctors road
=> Worst Case - Does it need to be said
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Struggle street - the bottom 8 of the SFL

Postby Mr Bean » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:45 pm

[quote="Esteban Vihaio"]Harsh, but the top 7 teams for 2009 can be conceded in no particular order as Cove, M/Vale, Valley's, Reynella, Brighton, Porties, and Edwardstown. Now, with all these elite teams maintaining strong juniors and financial position, what chances are there for the remainder of the teams not just battling for 8th this year, but for the next three to five years? quote]

Interesting that you mention that the above clubs are in a strong financial position.
It appears that this may not be the case at Emu Park.
MVFC AGM reveals, as I understand it, that they have $20K in cash but owe ATO $14K and Trade Creditors $44K.
It seems that monies are still owed to trainers etc for last season?
Doesn't look good but apparently only one member made any queries regarding financials!!!!
Should the SFL be worried about this powerhouse of the league?
Mr Bean
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby the big bang » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Mr Bean wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:Harsh, but the top 7 teams for 2009 can be conceded in no particular order as Cove, M/Vale, Valley's, Reynella, Brighton, Porties, and Edwardstown. Now, with all these elite teams maintaining strong juniors and financial position, what chances are there for the remainder of the teams not just battling for 8th this year, but for the next three to five years? quote]

Interesting that you mention that the above clubs are in a strong financial position.
MVFC AGM reveals, as I understand it, that they have $20K in cash but owe ATO $14K and Trade Creditors $44K.
Doesn't look good but apparently only one member made any queries regarding financials!!!!

the league will probably bail them out, while the little fish keep struggling along.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby GO THE PUNT » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:11 pm

Hey E.V. i'm thinking that you must be involved with every club in the sfl as you know how well their finances are and what they are doing with the playing groups. Yeh your allowed to have your thoughts but me thinks you didn't think to hard about them. I think a few clubs may suprise you over the next 2 to 3 years but time will tell.
GO THE PUNT
Rookie

Postby Sorry Dude » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:00 am

It just comes down to either being on holidays for work or he has far to much time on his hands. but keep us all amused with your left field antics EV
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby SSS » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:49 am

Mr Bean wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:Harsh, but the top 7 teams for 2009 can be conceded in no particular order as Cove, M/Vale, Valley's, Reynella, Brighton, Porties, and Edwardstown. Now, with all these elite teams maintaining strong juniors and financial position, what chances are there for the remainder of the teams not just battling for 8th this year, but for the next three to five years? quote]

This doesn't sound too good at all.
Mex were you at the AGM?
What's going on? Surely they won't fold.
SSS

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby MatteeG » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:52 am

Wouldnt be the first time a powerhouse got into trouble- remember Christies circa 94 (I think?). Won the lot then couldnt pay anyone...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby asert » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:33 pm

wasnt that cos they closed the bar at like 7pm night of the grand final so everyone left to porties
asert
League Bench Warmer

Postby shoe boy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:36 pm

asert wrote:wasnt that cos they closed the bar at like 7pm night of the grand final so everyone left to porties

And put bouncers on the door to keep their own players and members out???
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby cyclops » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Im not sure if this issue with M/Vale is correct or not,but one thing is for sure our club never seems to have any money,wot the hell is going on,i would doubt wether any other clubs would get as many to game days or prezos and have as many numbers playing(a grade-mini league)for the club as wot m/vale do.Im confused when it comes to the financial position.Not too mention GF nights for the past 8 yrs or so,you cant move in the club.Bingo twice a week,raffles every week.Maybe we need to get sum1 finding sponsors 24/7.If i had enough cash i would definately giv it too the club.How do other local clubs make cash-anyone.
cyclops

Postby asert » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:01 pm

or a decent accountant/treasurer
asert
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mr Bean » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:16 pm

cyclops wrote:Im not sure if this issue with M/Vale is correct or not,but one thing is for sure our club never seems to have any money,wot the hell is going on,i would doubt wether any other clubs would get as many to game days or prezos and have as many numbers playing(a grade-mini league)for the club as wot m/vale do.Im confused when it comes to the financial position.Not too mention GF nights for the past 8 yrs or so,you cant move in the club.Bingo twice a week,raffles every week.Maybe we need to get sum1 finding sponsors 24/7.If i had enough cash i would definately giv it too the club.How do other local clubs make cash-anyone.

You have to wonder don't you Cyclops, but i wouldn't be giving any money until I found out what the hell is going on there.

asert wrote:or a decent accountant/treasurer

asert you could be on to something!!!!!
Mr Bean
Mini-League

Postby the big bang » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:49 pm

makes perfect sense!!

aldinga has fixed up their financial woes thanxs largely to having Rossdale Homes' accountant keep our books for the last 2 years. he done a mighty job. definetly makes a difference having a "professional" put there hand up to do that sorta thing.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Iron Fist » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:40 am

the_big_bang wrote:

makes perfect sense!!

aldinga has fixed up their financial woes thanxs largely to having Rossdale Homes' accountant keep our books for the last 2 years. he done a mighty job. definetly makes a difference having a "professional" put there hand up to do that sorta thing.

good ol matty groves?
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby rodney fox » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:51 am

Iron Fist wrote:
the_big_bang wrote:

makes perfect sense!!

good ol matty groves?

He's our man.
rodney fox
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby DILLIGAF » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:05 pm

cyclops wrote:Im not sure if this issue with M/Vale is correct or not,but one thing is for sure our club never seems to have any money,wot the hell is going on,i would doubt wether any other clubs would get as many to game days or prezos and have as many numbers playing(a grade-mini league)for the club as wot m/vale do.Im confused when it comes to the financial position.Not too mention GF nights for the past 8 yrs or so,you cant move in the club.Bingo twice a week,raffles every week.Maybe we need to get sum1 finding sponsors 24/7.If i had enough cash i would definately giv it too the club.How do other local clubs make cash-anyone.

maybe the players are getting to much
Does It Look Like I Give A F**k
SEE YA LATER!!!
DILLIGAF
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cyclops » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:44 pm

DILLIGAF wrote:

Mate i wish so much that this was true,but you are so far from the truth.If m/vale players were getting paid so much then we wouldnt have to worry bout blokes like Zac Ewer and Hodgey playn anywhere else.But u cant blame them for goin.
cyclops

Postby SSS » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:03 pm

cyclops wrote:
DILLIGAF wrote:

Mate i wish so much that this was true,but you are so far from the truth.If m/vale players were getting paid so much then we wouldnt have to worry bout blokes like Zac Ewer and Hodgey playn anywhere else.But u cant blame them for goin.

Not the case DILLIGAF. Average player payments only $68 according to financials. Players also pay pretty high subs. I wish I knew where all the money is going.
SSS

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby DILLIGAF » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:06 pm

SSS wrote:
cyclops wrote:
DILLIGAF wrote:

Not the case DILLIGAF. Average player payments only $68 according to financials. Players also pay pretty high subs. I wish I knew where all the money is going.

fair enough maybe some one is pocketing the cash ya never know
Does It Look Like I Give A F**k
SEE YA LATER!!!
DILLIGAF
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cyclops » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:00 pm

fair enough maybe some one is pocketing the cash ya never know[/quote]

mmmm i wonder