Who Will Make 8th Spot

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Who Will Make 8th Spot

Postby Elf » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:24 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:Its a bit early to be judging how Christies are going to do. Weren't Lonsdale 3-0 after 3 rounds last year?

Not taking anything away from them. Ill see them play this weekend and will be able to compare them to Townies and Shoeys (who i think might do pretty well this year)

HH3 would be praying for hail and snow on saturday but the rain won't wipe much off the scoreboard!!! saints by plenty! :oops:
*guns dont kill people,i kill people*
Elf

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby south65 or 28 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:50 pm

your quick to jump on the saints bag wagon elf carn you hawks
south65 or 28
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Elf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm

south65 or 28 wrote:your quick to jump on the saints bag wagon elf carn you hawks

yep im on the bag wagon alright! everyone here talks the saints up like they have just knocked off 2 of the best teams in the comp!!! please!! but they will still smash hackham!
*guns dont kill people,i kill people*
Elf

Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby pale ale » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am

Morphy Parks will take some beating from here not to make the 8th spot and with Porties and Happy Valley starting to win it looks as though the 8 in just about there already.
Just who finishes where in the 8 will be interesting
May be we need another subject - Who Will Make The Top 4
pale ale
Under 16s

Postby DILLIGAF » Thu May 28, 2009 10:07 am

pale ale wrote:Morphy Parks will take some beating from here not to make the 8th spot and with Porties and Happy Valley starting to win it looks as though the 8 in just about there already.
Just who finishes where in the 8 will be interesting
May be we need another subject - Who Will Make The Top 4

top 4 will look after themselves Brighton, edwardstown, reynella and m/vale in no particular order.
Does It Look Like I Give A F**k
SEE YA LATER!!!
DILLIGAF
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Bag The Points » Thu May 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Reckon you've got it spot on, Dilli.
I'll take it further ---- Brighton to knock off Morphett in the Grand Final with Edwardstown and Reynella each making the Prelims.
Cove will definitely make the Eight and look a huge threat late in the year, but then go out in the Semis.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby lion heart » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Had a good look at the draw today and Brighton,Morphett Vale,Reynella and Edwardstown are assured a spot and Cove likely that leaves 3 spots for Noarlunga, Christies, Morphie Parks, Marion,Happy Valley, Porties.

I reckon with the remaining tough draw Marion and Valley are most likely to miss out with Noarlunga, Morphy parks, Christies and Porties (tough draw but capable of taking a big scalp) most likely to grab the remaining three possies. The last spot in the 8 could be decided in the christies v porties game in the last round.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:20 am

Footy goes around in circles people. 10 years ago Morphett Vale were bottom 2-3 and avoiding relegation just, Cove were scrubbers in div 2, Hackham 12 years ago were a top 4 SFL Div 1 side, Brighton were mid-table and Marion were a powerhouse. A lot of people gloat about their clubs but where will they be in 5 years.......
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dazza44 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:40 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Footy goes around in circles people. 10 years ago Morphett Vale were bottom 2-3 and avoiding relegation just, Cove were scrubbers in div 2, Hackham 12 years ago were a top 4 SFL Div 1 side, Brighton were mid-table and Marion were a powerhouse. A lot of people gloat about their clubs but where will they be in 5 years.......

Great post Kooka !!!
Yep, if all you worry about is A grade results then you need lots of $$$s, a good club structure or a lot of luck ... coz unless you have a really good junior programme then all clubs will cycle. You can add Porties and Reynella as current "power" clubs who have just avoided relegation in years gone by (and sometimes only because the premiers in the old Div2 wouldn't or couldn't be promoted)
I know that A grade success is what everyone aims for (as it should be) but if we really looked at the health of a club as a whole then you would be looking also for a competetive B Grade and a full junior programme.
I'm sure that it's obvious that a real club is made of much more than A grade ... and let's face it, most of the best volunteers and real club people aren't A graders !!
I for one can say that I am much happier to be involved with a club that has done the work and has 12 junior and subbies sides, without a hugely successful A grade, than I would be if my club had a high-flying A grade but bugger-all (or none) juniors.
So yeah, footy goes in cycles - but to achieve real success as a club does take effort .... and sometimes some $$$$ as well :)
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:42 am

Dazza44 wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Footy goes around in circles people. 10 years ago Morphett Vale were bottom 2-3 and avoiding relegation just, Cove were scrubbers in div 2, Hackham 12 years ago were a top 4 SFL Div 1 side, Brighton were mid-table and Marion were a powerhouse. A lot of people gloat about their clubs but where will they be in 5 years.......

Great post Kooka !!!
Yep, if all you worry about is A grade results then you need lots of $$$s, a good club structure or a lot of luck ... coz unless you have a really good junior programme then all clubs will cycle. You can add Porties and Reynella as current "power" clubs who have just avoided relegation in years gone by (and sometimes only because the premiers in the old Div2 wouldn't or couldn't be promoted)
I know that A grade success is what everyone aims for (as it should be) but if we really looked at the health of a club as a whole then you would be looking also for a competetive B Grade and a full junior programme.
I'm sure that it's obvious that a real club is made of much more than A grade ... and let's face it, most of the best volunteers and real club people aren't A graders !!
I for one can say that I am much happier to be involved with a club that has done the work and has 12 junior and subbies sides, without a hugely successful A grade, than I would be if my club had a high-flying A grade but bugger-all (or none) juniors.
So yeah, footy goes in cycles - but to achieve real success as a club does take effort .... and sometimes some $$$$ as well :)

Spot on! =D>
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby watcher » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:27 am

It is most definately not spot on.

If you have a full junior program you need to develop it to A Grade success. If you don't it is an opportunity that has been wasted, and one that may never present itself again.

There is no football experience comparable to A Grade success.
watcher
Mini-League

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:27 pm

It does take alot of luck Watcher in modern footy. Gone are the days of when your clubs junior system was good enough alone. All it takes is 1 bloke to leave to a club offering big $$ and it can cause an avalanche of players to exit over a few years as they see the coin roll in. You may argue that Morphett Vale, Happy Valley ect are proof that a good junior system works..... Well it helps when 5162 is the biggest post code in Adelaide with the largest population (Not to mention the areas housing affordability makes it extremely popular to the young family) and there is no other club apart from Lonsdale in that vicinity to seriously challenge that. Happy Valleys main rivals to steal players is Flaggstaff Hill and Blackwood so they have a pretty big area all to their own compared to other clubs. So these clubs have alot more players than average to chose from, so if players leave theres plenty more to take their spot. Yes they do look after their juniors aswell very well. It comes down to the all mighty dollar unfortunatly as all clubs now are runned as a business rather than a club.....
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:34 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:It does take alot of luck Watcher in modern footy. Gone are the days of when your clubs junior system was good enough alone. All it takes is 1 bloke to leave to a club offering big $$ and it can cause an avalanche of players to exit over a few years as they see the coin roll in. You may argue that Morphett Vale, Happy Valley ect are proof that a good junior system works..... Well it helps when 5162 is the biggest post code in Adelaide with the largest population (Not to mention the areas housing affordability makes it extremely popular to the young family) and there is no other club apart from Lonsdale in that vicinity to seriously challenge that. Happy Valleys main rivals to steal players is Flaggstaff Hill and Blackwood so they have a pretty big area all to their own compared to other clubs. So these clubs have alot more players than average to chose from, so if players leave theres plenty more to take their spot. Yes they do look after their juniors aswell very well. It comes down to the all mighty dollar unfortunatly as all clubs now are runned as a business rather than a club.....

On this forum, clubs successes are always the result of hard work and never luck. Clubs failures are always the result of a bad culture and never bad luck. Just as these statements are bollocks, so is the reverse.

It always takes the right combination of both to forms a successful club.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Bag The Points » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:34 pm

A pretty valid point there LK. However a very good junior programme is still a heap better than having no colts at all.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:00 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:It does take alot of luck Watcher in modern footy. Gone are the days of when your clubs junior system was good enough alone. All it takes is 1 bloke to leave to a club offering big $$ and it can cause an avalanche of players to exit over a few years as they see the coin roll in. You may argue that Morphett Vale, Happy Valley ect are proof that a good junior system works..... Well it helps when 5162 is the biggest post code in Adelaide with the largest population (Not to mention the areas housing affordability makes it extremely popular to the young family) and there is no other club apart from Lonsdale in that vicinity to seriously challenge that. Happy Valleys main rivals to steal players is Flaggstaff Hill and Blackwood so they have a pretty big area all to their own compared to other clubs. So these clubs have alot more players than average to chose from, so if players leave theres plenty more to take their spot. Yes they do look after their juniors aswell very well. It comes down to the all mighty dollar unfortunatly as all clubs now are runned as a business rather than a club.....

On this forum, clubs successes are always the result of hard work and never luck. Clubs failures are always the result of a bad culture and never bad luck. Just as these statements are bollocks, so is the reverse.

It always takes the right combination of both to forms a successful club.

EV valid points,not all clubs are blessed with resources that some other clubs may have. I'll be very interested to see where alot of powerhouse clubs now will be in 10 years. I think this year especially in the SFL we are starting to see a bit of a change in teams prehaps that are going to become a top tier teams in the next 5-10 years. Time will tell...
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Bag The Points » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:00 am

Care to elaborate on who those teams could be LK ?
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:20 am

Look at some results, Christies seem far more competative, Morphy Parks are pushing teams far more than they have in the past. There is factors contributing to this but teams such as Valleys, Cove at times and others suggest maybe it's starting to change ( Not dramatically) but enough for people to notice.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Bag The Points » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:42 am

Interesting --- I agree that Valley may be slipping soon (could even be this year), but Cove have just had a bit of a hangover ----- they'll be right up there for a number of years yet. Just look at the Reserve base they are building (look like a possible new Morphett Vale story to me).
Not convinced about the Saints or the Roos as long term prospects (not enough foundation for their structure), but for me the likeliest to rise up the ranks over the next decade are the Shoes and the Falcons.
What are the thoughts of other posters on this ?
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:22 pm

Good excuses for underperforming. Reynella is almost as close to Morphett Vale as Lonsdale, Hackham is our closest club and got run into the ground, is that Morphies fault??
You make your own luck, both in a single game and in a season, if you don't give the other team a chance to kick a winning goal you don't need to be lucky they miss.

Emus have had there fair share leave for whatever reason but they are always welcomed back which in the end reduces how many want to leave. Make a club enjoyable and you'll find you keep players and save a bit of money in the process, to say our 4 in a row was down to a lot of luck is an insult!!

Feel free to keep waiting for that luck though!!
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL