Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Half Back Flanker » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:03 am

shoe boy wrote:Thanks to the Mannum footy club for the hit out and hospitality on Saturday .

Thanks to you guys for making the trek. Was great to have a beer with Baz afterwards and I have no doubt that the Shoes will be up and about this year for sure.
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby pantherman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:19 am

A little boring on here at the minute

In a a bid to spark some conversation

What grand final team do people rate as the best they have seen?
pantherman

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:41 am

Would love to say the Brighton Bombers 2002 or 2011 but from our 20 years in the league I would nominate Morphett Vale 2004. They went through the year undefeated and beat Brighton 9 goals to 3 in a fairly uninspiring GF despite Brighton going into half-time only 1 point behind. Strong wind that day and not much of a spectacle.

Morphett Vale won another 4 flags in the next 5 years despite losing some very good players to Jervois during that period so I reckon the first premiership of the 5 was the very best Emu premiership team and the best I saw in the SFL.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:29 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Would love to say the Brighton Bombers 2002 or 2011 but from our 20 years in the league I would nominate Morphett Vale 2004. They went through the year undefeated and beat Brighton 9 goals to 3 in a fairly uninspiring GF despite Brighton going into half-time only 1 point behind. Strong wind that day and not much of a spectacle.

Morphett Vale won another 4 flags in the next 5 years despite losing some very good players to Jervois during that period so I reckon the first premiership of the 5 was the very best Emu premiership team and the best I saw in the SFL.

The undefeated flag was 2007.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:32 pm

I must be getting old ZC because you are absolutely correct and the GF I was thinking of was 2007. We lost to the Emus in both the 2004 & 2007 GF's. I reckon the comp below MV in 2007 was a bit weaker than their previous 3 flags and being undefeated didn't necessarily make them better than the previous 3 years. The fact that Brighton made the GF from 5th probably confirms the lack of competition for MV that season.

Not sure how many changes from 2007 to 2008 but Cove were big winners over MV in 2008 GF. So I will still run with 2004 or maybe 2005 as the strongest MV Premiership team of that golden Emu era. What are your thoughts?
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby norm11 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Para hills fc looking for a trial game Thursday 28 th or Friday the 29 th. Our oval available. Please pm if interested
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:14 am

Big thanks to both C/Beach who hosted our juniors in trials on Saturday and Edwardstown v our senior sides .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:31 am

Good luck to all secretary's league and club that will be under the pump tonight . ](*,)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Tiger83 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:06 am

Dutchy wrote:Happy Valley B grade coach has quit?

Have they found a replacement?? No announcements on their FB page...
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:57 pm

Club-by-club season preview of the 2019 Southern Football League season as Flagstaff Hill aims for fourth consecutive flag

Can Flagstaff Hill become the first club in 12 years to win four premierships in succession?

How big a boost can former Glenelg star Terry Milera and ex-South Adelaide captain Josh Thewlis give Noarlunga?

Will Morphett Vale climb the ladder after dipping to second-bottom last season?

Ex-Glenelg player Terry Milera and former South Adelaide captain Josh Thewlis have joined Noarlunga fo2 2019 and are two of the SFL's highest-profile recruits

These are just some of the questions being asked around the Southern Football League ahead of the start of the 2019 campaign this weekend.

Flagstaff Hill should be favourites to win the competition again.

It dismantled Reynella in last year’s grand final by 100 points – a record margin for an SFL flag decider – and the club’s B grade went through the season unbeaten.

But the Falcons will have a different look this year following coach Rod Mitchell and president Brett Charlesworth stepping down from their roles, and Mail medallist Michael Shearer sustaining a season-ending knee injury.

Mitchell’s lead assistant Darren Vanzetta takes over as coach, while West Adelaide premiership big man Daniel Webb rejoins his junior club and Chris Puiatti is being backed to help fill Shearer’s void in midfield.

“I don’t feel any pressure – I’ve coached senior footy for a long time,” Vanzetta said.

“It’s all about processes for me and how players develop more than anything.

“I always say to the boys ‘scoreboards look after themselves if we do our processes correct.”

Reynella has lost several key players, including Codey Ellison, Brodie Sowter and Luke McEntee, and will be relying on growth from within but last season’s losing preliminary finalist Noarlunga has recruited strongly, led by Milera and ex-South Adelaide skipper Josh Thewlis, and Port Noarlunga, coming off a semi-final exit, has brought Jake Veide back to the club from the Panthers.

Ex-Edwardstown coach Guy Ridway has been appointed to lead Happy Valley. Picture: Simon Cross
Morphett Vale will be hoping to improve on its 1-15 record from 2018 under new coach and former Emus star Braden Bayly, reserves coach Clinton Howes takes the step up to the A grade at the Cockledivers, while fellow first-year mentor Guy Ridgway is hoping to help guide Happy Valley up the ladder.

“I’m not putting any expectation on it (the season) as far as win and loss,” Bayly said.

“I’m here to bring culture back and hopefully success follows.”

SFL president Craig Warman expected a tight season.

“Flagstaff Hill have lost a few players but have got a big pool of good players, so they’ll still be around the mark, Noarlunga have recruited pretty well … as have Port Noarlunga,” Warman said.

“I think we’re in for an exciting time.”

Here is how each of the nine clubs are shaping up:

ALDINGA
Last season: Bottom (1-15)

Coach: Damian Smith

Captain: Corey Mathewson

Key ins: Syed Hansen (McLaren)

Key outs: Rhys Timms, Liam Denton (South Gambier), Nick Scanlan (Willunga)

First round: Cove at home on Saturday

Damian Smith is back for his fifth season in charge of Aldinga. Picture: Tait Schmaal
Smith: “It’s been tough getting guys to come to the league but the group that we’ve got have been outstanding. We’re probably lacking a bit of top-end talent but at times that can be a distraction. We’ve had probably the hardest pre-season they’ve been faced with for the last two or three years and I don’t apologise for that – we needed to be super fit knowing we potentially wouldn’t have as many top-end, A-grade footballers. I continue to believe in our group. We won’t know until we start playing some real footy where we are in the mix.”

CHRISTIES BEACH
Last season: Elimination finalist (10-6)

Coaches: Neil Reeve, Jacob Crate

Captain: Aidan Coakley

Key ins: Shannon Archbold (returning/WA), Emmerson White (Yankalilla)

Key outs: Daniel Lee (Willunga), Michael Elts (Port Noarlunga)

First round: Morphett Vale at home on Saturday

Jacob Crate and Neil Reeve are back as co-coaches at Christies Beach. Picture: AAP/Morgan Sette
Reeve: “We’ve had a really good pre-season and the boys are looking good on the track. We’ve basically maintained our whole list and had an injection of youth. I think we’ll still be around that mark. There’s pressure on for spots. It’s going to be a real tight comp this year.”

COVE
Last season: Sixth (7-9)

Coach: Brett Baldey

Captain: Michael Galley

Key ins: Zac Vaughan (returning/Canberra), Matthew Cotterill (Altona)

Key outs: Kyle Stoldt (Goolwa/Port Elliot), Jake McCreery (Murrayville)

First round: Aldinga away on Saturday

Jake McCreery has left Cove to play for Murrayville. Picture: AAP/Dean Martin
Baldey: “(Last season) was one of inconsistency and missed opportunity. We’ve had some areas we’ve addressed in the off-season in the terms of cultural … and being more accountable as coaches, players and as a football club. We definitely think we’ll be more physical and hold onto the football and protect it a little bit better. We want to make sure we’re performing well as a team and ticking the little boxes. We want to be ultra-competitive … and make sure every time we pull on the Cove guernsey, it’s done with some pride and there’s an expectation the effort is always at its utmost.”

FLAGSTAFF HILL
Last season: Premiers (14-2)

Coach: Darren Vanzetta

Captain: David Kearsley

Key ins: Daniel Webb (West Adelaide), Chris Puiatti (Mount Burr), Andrew Shearer (returning), Matthew Walton (Happy Valley/Port Adelaide)

Key outs: Adrian Albanese, Josh Albanese (Kangarilla), Michael Shearer (knee injury), Josh Vandermeer (Padthaway), Shane Heatley (Mount Compass), Mitchell Johnson (Crows reserves)

First round: Happy Valley at home on Saturday

Vanzetta: “Not a lot’s changed because I’ve been with these boys for four years now and me and Rod coach very similar. He’s still involved in our committee and we have phone contact fortnightly, and he gives me good feedback. We’ve copped a battering and lost some quality footballers but that gives opportunities for other players. We’ve picked up some good players as well. At Flaggy, we always aim to be top two. I think I’ve got the cattle, definitely, we just need to make sure processes and structures go the right way – and we go from there. Having Michael out for the year is a loss on the field but I’ve gained him in the coaches box.”

HAPPY VALLEY

Last season: Seventh (6-10)

Coach: Guy Ridgway (new)

Captain: Justin Schurgott

Key ins: Michael Parker (Seaton), Michael Bednall (Gumeracha)

Key outs: Dwayne Ruddock (Mount Compass), Tain Smelt (Edwardstown), Joel Brown (Noarlunga)

First round: Flagstaff Hill away on Saturday

Ridgway: “I’m gauging the player experience and player capabilities. I’m looking for continued improvement from the lads we’ve got. It’s a very young squad and we aim to be competitive every week. I’m looking forward to round one.”

MORPHETT VALE
Last season: Second-bottom (1-15)

Coach: Braden Bayly (new)

Captains: Daniel Earl, Julian Mardigan

Key ins: Scott Carpenter (Myponga-Sellicks), Nathan Bayly (returning), Brodie Sowter (Morphett Vale), Aidan Baker (South Adelaide), Brett Watkinson (Wudinna United)

Key outs: Nil

First round: Christies Beach away on Saturday

Braden Bayly: “The role got thrust on me pretty quickly (in January after the club dumped coach David Murdock). I haven’t had a lot of time to prepare but I’ve had a lot of help around the club. I wasn’t really involved last year so what happened was all hearsay to me. We’re obviously at a bit of a rebuild stage but we want to make it an enjoyable place to be around and get that culture back from when I was playing. That takes a buy-in from all the players – and they seem to be buying in pretty well. We haven’t got a lot of talls so we’ll have to move the ball quickly and hold onto possession and not bomb the ball.”

NOARLUNGA
Last season: Preliminary finalist (12-4)

Coach: Barry Pilmore

Captain: TBA

Key ins: Josh Thewlis (Henley), Terry Milera (Glenelg), Sam Hamilton (Reynella)

Key outs: Nil

First round: Reynella away on Saturday

Pilmore: “We’re pretty settled. We think Josh Thewlis and Terry Milera will be good for the kids. We missed a chance to play a grand final last year, no doubt about that. (In the preliminary final), Reynella took their opportunities and played the wind better than we did and wanted it more than we did. I think all the boys learnt from that and I can’t fault the way they’ve gone about it this pre-season. Our expectation is to make top three again. You can’t talk about premierships – Flagstaff Hill are still going to be the trendsetters. We have just got to turn up week in, week out and make sure we perform.”

PORT NOARLUNGA
Last season: Semi-finalist (11-5)

Coach: Clinton Howes (new)

Captain: TBA

Key ins: Nick Steele, Jake Veide (South Adelaide), Stephen Conlon (NSW), Sam Campbell (Hackham), Michael Elts (Christies Beach)

Key outs: Jack Fitzpatrick (Myponga-Sellicks), Andrew Allen (Flagstaff Hill), Scott Voigt (retired)

First round: Bye

Jake Veide, pictured playing for South Adelaide in 2017, has returned to Port Noarlunga. Picture: Sarah Reed
Howes: “We’ve got a full quota – under-13s, 15s, 17s, As, Bs and Cs – and haven’t had a full quota in a long time, so it’s going to increase the depth a little bit. Defensively we want to tighten up a little bit. (Falling short of premierships) has been a bit of a tradition have been a bit of a tradition at Porties – there’s been about 25 preliminary finals and four grand finals. When it’s a big occasion, the boys go missing a little bit – they’re the facts and you can’t argue with the facts. If we sort that out, we’ll be right.”

REYNELLA
Last season: Runner-up (10-6)

Coach: Josh Vick

Captain: Ben Lockett

Key ins: Damon Arnold, Bailey Marshman (South Adelaide), Brock Richards (Colonel Light Gardens)

Key outs: Codey Ellison (McLaren), Luke McEntee, Mitch Minns (Unley Mercedes), Brodie Sowter (Morphett Vale), Sam Hamilton (Noarlunga), Ryan Frick (retired)

First round: Noarlunga at home on Saturday

Vick: “Anytime you finish one season as losing grand finalists and don’t retain the bulk of your squad to have another crack at it, there’s a level of frustration. We’ve got a young group, we’ll have a very different looking side and there’ll be lots of opportunities for our kids. But we are very, very positive and excited about the season that lies ahead and the opportunities that are there for the individuals and as a team. Hopefully for the guys that are still there, there’s a bitter taste in their mouth to atone (for last year’s grand final thrashing). I still expect we can give the top couple of sides a run for their money but we’ll need a bit of luck to go deep.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby ball breaker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:12 am

Some interesting results in round 1 of 2019 ......

Seriously though, how long b4 the SFL is absorbed by the Adel FL?
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:47 am

ball breaker wrote:Seriously though, how long b4 the SFL is absorbed by the Adel FL?

Maybe once the Adelaide Footy League run a full Saturday junior program that follows the seniors that could happen.

In other words, little chance of that ever occurring.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 am

ball breaker wrote:Some interesting results in round 1 of 2019 ......

Wow. Aldigna the only team to get within 10 goals of their opponent.....
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:23 pm

HV were pretty good on Sat I thought, should be much more competitive this year and maybe even push some teams for a finals spot.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby ol man emu » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Is it to late for 2 divisions?
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times

Postby ball breaker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 pm

ol man emu wrote:

23 years too late [emoji1787]
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby jet-airport » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Looking forward to a more evenly contested spread of games this weekend.

Absolute Cracker B, and A GRADE …...Shoes vs Flaggy - Wish I could get to this one, will be worth a watch - Shoe's by a goal in A grade, Flaggy by 2 goal in B grade….. & Shoeboy to play down A grade premiership favouritism post game :)

Good luck to all!
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby ol man emu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:17 am

ball breaker wrote:
ol man emu wrote:

23 years too late [emoji1787]

I think we should do it before we lose clubs.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Postby ol man emu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:56 am

jet-airport wrote:Looking forward to a more evenly contested spread of games this weekend.

Absolute Cracker B, and A GRADE …...Shoes vs Flaggy - Wish I could get to this one, will be worth a watch - Shoe's by a goal in A grade, Flaggy by 2 goal in B grade….. & Shoeboy to play down A grade premiership favouritism post game :)

Good luck to all!

Would think Noarlunga would be pretty pissed if they don't win the flag this year, spent a fair bit of money.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 am

When was the last time a Morphett Vale v Reynella game was a match between the bottom two teams on the ladder?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL