Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Postby Barbara » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:08 am

Any word on who Dion Madden is playing for?
Barbara
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby qwerty » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:47 am

Dion Madden? where did he play before?

As to lighting, i think it would be a great idea to play night games as part of the sfl fixture as it would certainly bring good crowds aslong as the two teams are good sides that people will come and watch. Probably a better idea to do them early in the season when the weather is a litttle more bearable. Remember one a few years back between hackam and morphies pulled a good crowd and also a trial game between noarlunga and cove last year had a good crowd attend.
qwerty
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby BubblesOfBlue » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:59 pm

Not sure how many clubs have lights good enough for night footy, interested if anyone knows which clubs have lights good enough for hosting matches?
BubblesOfBlue
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Lights at Marion

Postby Ruck Legend » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:37 am

I have heard that round 1 Marion vs Morphettville Park will be played under lights. Maybe Friday night, but more likely Saturday night.

Go the Roos
:D
Ruck Legend
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby qwerty » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:43 am

why would you play two teams likt that under lights, surley a game between morphies, reynella, noarlunga, brighton etc would be a much better option as it would draw a much larger crowd.
qwerty
Under 16s

Postby Wedgie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:51 am

qwerty wrote:why would you play two teams likt that under lights, surley a game between morphies, reynella, noarlunga, brighton etc would be a much better option as it would draw a much larger crowd.

I'm assuming its because Marion have the better lights and they went for their nearest neighbour to attract as many as possible?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby petoe » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:17 am

The night game has nothing to do with how good the teams are to pull a crowd. Its what clubs oval has the sufficiant lighting to do so, and by all reports with their new upgrade, this is only Marion in the SFL, so good luck to them.

Also observer have M and J Richardson gone to Port Noarlunga or Old Noarlunga Shoes? Ive heard different stories.
petoe
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby the observer » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:09 pm

The two Richardsons have signed with Noarlunga I dont think anybody else could afford to get them on board .C.Hardwick another to sign with the shoes and J.Whetstone also signed with Noarlunga.
the observer
Under 16s

Postby BM » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:14 pm

Is Paul Chapman coaching Happy Valley? Big fella G Hodgins has signed for them apparently for reasonable coin.
BM
Rookie

Postby petoe » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:17 pm

No Sterzel is coaching them. Where is G Hodgins from? and who is Paul Chapman
petoe
Under 16s

Postby leftrightout » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:12 pm

petoe wrote:No Sterzel is coaching them. Where is G Hodgins from? and who is Paul Chapman

Paul Chapman played in the 93 Eagles SANFL premiership, for about 89 league games and was told by North Melbourne they would draft him in about 94 but they took Glenn Freeborn instead. He was also a dark horse for the 94 Magary Medal but failed to get a vote. Played State SAAFL footy and at Henley, Walkerville, Mypolonga and down Kingston in South East. Is now about 50kgs over playing weight but is very skillful. Big Hodgy played at Gepps for a season and with Chappy at Kingston, a big ruckman but didnt have much impact with the few games I saw him in Div 1 with Geppys a few seasons back.
leftrightout
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby the observer » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:50 am

Hodgins amd Chapman both played for Saints - Goolwa Pt Elliott for one season
Chapman great ability I agree way overweight and got frustrated chasing young guys around became a hatchet man at times. Hodgins paid highly perfomed ordinary lasted one season.
the observer
Under 16s

Postby petoe » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:58 am

So if S. Sterzl is coaching Happy Valley, what job has Chapman got? and can anyone confirm Hodgins is signed at Valley then?
petoe
Under 16s

Postby BM » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 am

Gents you are all spot on the money with Hodgey. Asks for huge $$$ and delivers little. Played a couple of good games for Gepps but as l/rout said they were few and far between.
BM
Rookie

Postby BubblesOfBlue » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:34 pm

Heard a rumour that Trevor Potts is leaving Morphett Vale to coach SAFC Reserves, has anyone else heard this?
BubblesOfBlue
Rookie

Postby Barbara » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:16 pm

leftrightout wrote:
petoe wrote:No Sterzel is coaching them. Where is G Hodgins from? and who is Paul Chapman

Paul Chapman played in the 93 Eagles SANFL premiership, for about 89 league games and was told by North Melbourne they would draft him in about 94 but they took Glenn Freeborn instead. He was also a dark horse for the 94 Magary Medal but failed to get a vote. Played State SAAFL footy and at Henley, Walkerville, Mypolonga and down Kingston in South East. Is now about 50kgs over playing weight but is very skillful. Big Hodgy played at Gepps for a season and with Chappy at Kingston, a big ruckman but didnt have much impact with the few games I saw him in Div 1 with Geppys a few seasons back.

Do you know which country town Paul come from leftrightout?
Barbara
Rookie

Postby petoe » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Just had it confirmed by a Morphett Vale source, Trevor Potts took the SAFC reserves job. And someone with the last name Hill is taking the MV A grade job as replacement, not sure on hill's background.
petoe
Under 16s

Postby qwerty » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:33 pm

Steve Hill would be the fella your refering to, think he has coached their B's for the last four years.

He has coached a few clubs in the SFL and hasn't done much with many of them from what i can think of the top of my head, maybe a B grade flag at Hackham.

Dont know much about his coaching ability but i don't think he is anything special. Still should be able to have some success with the team he will be taking over, they coud probably coach themselves.

Any other news on other clubs in regard to new players, ie Porties, Brighton, Valley..?
qwerty
Under 16s

Postby BubblesOfBlue » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:50 pm

From everyone I have heard from Steve Hill seems to be pretty good I reckon their b grade have won the last three flags now so he must be doing something right!!!
BubblesOfBlue
Rookie

Postby leftrightout » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:22 pm

[ Do you know which country town Paul come from leftrightout?[/quote]

The sleepy old town of Whyalla, Barbara
leftrightout
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time