Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:18 pm

The Premiership is Reynella's to lose and anything less will be an abject failure. Game plans and game styles count for little come finals in the SFL. The spring winds in the South means that finals conditions generally make it hard to play any sort of possession based game. It won't be game plan or style that will win a flag for Reynella. It will be whether their best available 21 is better than the rest come September and recent performances suggest they are daylight ahead of the rest - with due respect to the also undefeated Falcons . This Saturday is close to the shortest day of the year so hopefully the daylight isn't too much for the Bombers.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Luke15 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Down the Hill wrote:The Premiership is Reynella's to lose and anything less will be an abject failure. Game plans and game styles count for little come finals in the SFL. The spring winds in the South means that finals conditions generally make it hard to play any sort of possession based game. It won't be game plan or style that will win a flag for Reynella. It will be whether their best available 21 is better than the rest come September and recent performances suggest they are daylight ahead of the rest - with due respect to the also undefeated Falcons . This Saturday is close to the shortest day of the year so hopefully the daylight isn't too much for the Bombers.

Not sure i agree with you here DTH, saying gameplans mean nothing in September.... Their gameplan seems to be working for them now because if you look at their squad compared to others they have a lot less big names than other clubs. They also seem to have young guys that i dont know much about that the coach seems to have faith in. Names like Hamilton, Minns, Thompson, Lockett, Caruso, Moyle i dont know much about these guys at all but they seem to play every week. We all know the Doughty, Bradshaw, Farrier and McEntee players but not much about the others.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Less big names is a big call Luke 15. Those you have mentioned are not big names but are not no-names. Lockett is a junior product who played Bay juniors then returned to Reynella in 2011. Regular A grader since then who has played Association footy and finished high in their B & F last year. Caruso played Association last year and a regular A grader last 3 seasons, Moyle is similar and Minns is 18/19 and a junior product who I think played State U15's and was in the South system but returned full-time to Reynella this season. Thompson another regular A grader last 3 or 4 years who has played Association footy and Hamilton is the ex-Noarlunga/South lad who was tied up in the clearance wrangle and is not allowed to play against Noarlunga as part of the weird clearance concessions. Another Shoe Boy / Munga special that one.

McEntee X 2, Farrier, Prescott, Doughty, Bradshaw are BIG names and guys like Aschmoneit, Munce, Carter, Bradwell, Broadbent, Smitheram, Lock plus a few covered above have all been around a fair while and are household SFL names who have either played in their 2010 or 2013 flags or last years GF loss. I'm not sure if any other club can match that.

I wasn't talking about their game plan at the minute L15. I was just saying that the venues of SFL finals are often seriously affected by winds in September plus played on grounds that are much different in size and shape than what Reynella play half their game's on. I'm not saying this is a disadvantage to them but that it won't be game plan that wins them a flag moreso the talent and experience they have on the park.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby shoe boy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:16 am

d Hamilton is the ex-Noarlunga/South lad who was tied up in the clearance wrangle and is not allowed to play against Noarlunga as part of the weird clearance concessions. Another Shoe Boy / Munga special that one.

McEntee X 2, Farrier, Prescott, Doughty, Bradshaw are BIG names and guys like Aschmoneit, Munce, Carter, Bradwell, Broadbent, Smitheram, Lock plus a few covered above have all been around a fair while and are household SFL names who have either played in their 2010 or 2013 flags or last years GF loss. I'm not sure if any other club can match that.

DTH , Household names. ;)
As for Sam I can recall him playing in last season GF :YMPARTY:
Why don't we just hand the mighty flies the flag ^:)^
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby oneuponedown » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:37 am

Down the Hill wrote:Less big names is a big call Luke 15. Those you have mentioned are not big names but are not no-names. Lockett is a junior product who played Bay juniors then returned to Reynella in 2011. Regular A grader since then who has played Association footy and finished high in their B & F last year. Caruso played Association last year and a regular A grader last 3 seasons, Moyle is similar and Minns is 18/19 and a junior product who I think played State U15's and was in the South system but returned full-time to Reynella this season. Thompson another regular A grader last 3 or 4 years who has played Association footy and Hamilton is the ex-Noarlunga/South lad who was tied up in the clearance wrangle and is not allowed to play against Noarlunga as part of the weird clearance concessions. Another Shoe Boy / Munga special that one.

I wasn't talking about their game plan at the minute L15. I was just saying that the venues of SFL finals are often seriously affected by winds in September plus played on grounds that are much different in size and shape than what Reynella play half their game's on. I'm not saying this is a disadvantage to them but that it won't be game plan that wins them a flag moreso the talent and experience they have on the park.

DTH, I think if Reynella play a certain brand of football all year, there not going to change it if its a little bit windy and if South's Artic park is 23metres wider and 4m longer than similar SFL ovals.....( not exact measurements LGIL :D ).

Yes experience and talent will have a big say come Sept, but I think both Flaggies and Shoes have a fair bit of experience and talent across their respective squads also.
oneuponedown
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby King » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:00 pm

As we are talking finals, and based on current ladder positions, the final home round could have a huge bearing on the final eight composition.

The draw is;

BDOS (currently 7th) v Morph. Park (5)
Vikings (11) v Shoes (3)
Emus (4) v Flaggies (2)
Reynella (1) v Porties (6)
Townies (8) have the bye.

Obviously a long way to go until then but I'm not prepared to nominate the Flies past the post just yet.
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Animus » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:26 pm

Round 11:

Cobras vs Twisties - could be a long day for Cove with Morphy Parks looking to bounce back after a solid pantsing last week
Towns vs Lions - Towns by plenty
Bushpigs vs Saints - home team by lots
Hawks vs Sharks - sharks should be up and about for this but i'm tipping Hackham in a potentially close one
Vikings vs Emus - should be a cracker, Emu's just
Rams vs Cockdivers - Porties by lots
Wineflies vs Bombers - Reynella....by how much?

Shoes to enjoy the bye
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:50 am

Twisties
Towns
Flaggies
Hawks
Vikings and MVale draw
Porties
Super Flies

And the Shoes will be sunning it up in Darwin ;)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:06 am

Very strategic of the Shoes to arrange the BYE just before the 30 June clearance deadline. Blokes with white horseshoes on their jackets will be spotted at grounds all over Australia this weekend. ;)
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby MatteeG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Cobras vs Twisties - Cove in a bit of an upset- 12 points
Towns vs Lions - Towns by 75
Flaggies vs Saints - Flaggies in a tight one. Christies always give us trouble. 14 points
Hawks vs Sharks - Hackham by 3 points
Vikings vs Emus - Valleys to surprise by 10 points
Rams vs Cockdivers - Porties by 70
Wineflies vs Bombers- Flies by 40, after Brighton give them a scare til 3/4 time.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:53 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Very strategic of the Shoes to arrange the BYE just before the 30 June clearance deadline. Blokes with white horseshoes on their jackets will be spotted at grounds all over Australia this weekend. ;)

B-)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby spot on » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:07 pm

Anybody got any results from today, nothing on sporting pulse
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Go for it » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Cove v Morphettville park DRAW
Go for it

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Animus » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:05 pm

An upset at Reynella today?
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:00 am

Reynella 14.12 96 def by Brighton 18.7 115

Flaggies by about 8 goals over Christies
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Oldman Munga » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:23 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Very strategic of the Shoes to arrange the BYE just before the 30 June clearance deadline. Blokes with white horseshoes on their jackets will be spotted at grounds all over Australia this weekend. ;)

B-)

Can someone pass the sunscreen oh and grab me another frothie
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby cracka » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:36 pm

Almost Football Legends. Nice.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby MZ » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:09 pm

The Premiership is Reynella's to lose and anything less will be an abject failure. Game plans and game styles count for little come finals in the SFL. The spring winds in the South means that finals conditions generally make it hard to play any sort of possession based game. It won't be game plan or style that will win a flag for Reynella. It will be whether their best available 21 is better than the rest come September and recent performances suggest they are daylight ahead of the rest - with due respect to the also undefeated Falcons . This Saturday is close to the shortest day of the year so hopefully the daylight isn't too much for the Bombers.

Nicely played DTH.
MZ
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Tiger Couple » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:29 am

Went and had a look at Hackham v Aldinga. Was a pretty good game in the 1st Half with momentum swinging a couple times and Aldinga looking the stronger and leading by a couple goals at Half Time. After Half Time it was all Hackham and they got out to a 5 goal 3Qtr time lead and ended up winning by 6 goals. The big difference in the game was Aldinga have a player Yellow Carded in the 3rd Qtr and Hackham took advantage.
Tiger Couple
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL