Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:30 pm

"The SFL has reviewed its affiliation requirements for Saturday Football. From 2018 it is a requirement to have 4 teams play on a Saturday – 2 Senior and 2 Junior. "
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Luke15 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:37 am

Esteban Vihaio wrote:"The SFL has reviewed its affiliation requirements for Saturday Football. From 2018 it is a requirement to have 4 teams play on a Saturday – 2 Senior and 2 Junior. "

About effing time i say. And not an unrealistic expectation if true. 2018 gives sides a year and a bit to get off their arse and get active in making sure these sides get filled.

1. Go.over your previous year lists and work out who has stopped playing and try and get them back out.
2. Spend some money on advertising and promoting (family days etc) and recruit new families.
3. Be Pro-Active.

I wonder whether Lonsdale past players oops i mean the SFL board will make.some sort if exception for OSB/Lonsdale
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:48 pm

And what if clubs have gone to the SANFL Juniors by then? Has that been factored in?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3529 times

Postby someguy1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:31 pm

Its just a quote from Morphies facebook statement about leaving.

Morphettville Park Senior Men’s Football to play in Amateur league in 2017.
Hi everyone, the decision has been reached, following an extensive review the Management Committee has determined that the best league to support our Senior Men’s Football in 2017 and beyond is the South Australian Amateur Football League.
Back on the 20th of July I wrote to you asking for feedback and commentary on the future of our Senior Men’s Football. Thank you to everyone who responded, your feedback is highly valued and considered by the committee when assessing our future.
Last Tuesday the 26th of July the Management Committee developed a recommendation to be taken to the players for their input on the club moving to the SAAFL. Thursday night post training this recommendation was discussed with the players to seek their view and endorsement. Given the players are the product and the decision effectively impacts their playing future it was a critical component of the decision. The feedback from the players was unanimous in their support and want to be involved in our movement forward in 2017 to the SAAFL.
Background to the decision and work undertaken included the following actions:
· Established a Future Working Group to look at appropriate league (pro’s/con’s)
· Working Group paper identified SAAFL opportunity best positions club for the future
· Met with the Amateur League (SAAFL) on what they have to offer the Seniors and U18’s
· Met with the Men’s Senior players, presented Working group paper to receive feedback, discuss options
· Met with the Southern Football League (SFL) re their future direction, our position and related Saturday junior football requirements of affiliation.
The work undertaken above was extensive and identified several factors which where critical in reaching such a decision. One of the critical factors was the requirements for future affiliation within the SFL. The SFL has reviewed its affiliation requirements for Saturday Football. From 2018 it is a requirement to have 4 teams play on a Saturday – 2 Senior and 2 Junior. This fielding of junior teams on a Saturday has been an issue for the club over the last 15 years and will continue to be one given the representation we have across both public and private schools. The move to the SAAFL has no requirement of Saturday junior football and has the positive of providing an opportunity for an under 18 side on a Sunday.
It should be noted that this move effects no other affiliations within the club.
Again on behalf of the Management Committee thank you to everyone for their feedback, it was a crucial component of the decision made.
The Southern League its Board and Member clubs have been a great part of our journey over the last 30 years and we thank them and wish them every success in their future(s).
I know Byron and the team are looking to leave no stone unturned in their search for success this year. Good luck lads for the rest of the season and lets do some damage in September.
someguy1
Under 16s

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Whats the feel of the Brighton Members before tonights vote?

Hope to see you in the SAAFL in 2017

Welcome Morphettville Park to the SAAFL good to have another District Club joining
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Animus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Round 16: Another cracker!!

4. Brighton Vs 5. Flagstaff @ Brighton - which team will bounce back
9. Cove Vs 11. Aldinga @ Cove - can Cove keep their finals chances alive
10. Happy Valley Vs 8. Christies Beach @ Valley - will Valley put a spanner in Christies finals chances
7. Morphy Park Vs 3. Noarlunga @ The Pasty - Shoes peaking at the right time of year
2. Reynella Vs 1. Morphett Vale @ Reynella - both sides in great form

6. Port Noarlunga Vs 13. Hackham @ Porties
12. Lions Vs 14. Marion @ Lonsdale
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby afc9798 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:32 pm

Personally not much to be excited about with our year so far, but it is great to see it so tight at the top. Certainly should be an interesting round this week.

My picks:
Brighton by 11
Cove by 25
Valleys by 1 (because I'm biased)
Roos by 8 (only because it's at the pastie)
Morphett Vale by 21 (they are flying)
Porties by 100+
Lonsdale by 30
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby fathersonsfl » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:37 pm

fathersonsfl wrote:Brighton is seriously looking at amateur football next year. If Morphie Park and Marion join them, merge Sullies and Hackham and with some good junior development at Aldinga the SFL may have an excellent 10 team comp in a few years.

You heard it here 6 weeks ago......the vote was tonight and the move to amateurs was something like 70 to 3 to leave SFL. Good bye Brighton.......good luck.
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:22 am

fathersonsfl wrote:
fathersonsfl wrote:Brighton is seriously looking at amateur football next year. If Morphie Park and Marion join them, merge Sullies and Hackham and with some good junior development at Aldinga the SFL may have an excellent 10 team comp in a few years.

You heard it here 6 weeks ago......the vote was tonight and the move to amateurs was something like 70 to 3 to leave SFL. Good bye Brighton.......good luck.

Sounds as though you were close to the action fathersonsfl or should that now be fathersonsanflsaafl.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby fathersonsfl » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:36 am

Down the Hill wrote:
fathersonsfl wrote:

Sounds as though you were close to the action fathersonsfl or should that now be fathersonsanflsaafl.

It was good to talk to you about the situation tonight DTH. I will always be fathersonsfl, the boy is not keen on SAAFL, hopefully he ends up at the Centre of the Universe ;) Very disappointing but the numbers have spoken.
Last edited by fathersonsfl on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:13 am, edited 8 times in total.
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Poacher » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:47 am

fathersonsfl wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Morphy parks SAAFL bound in 2017. We have had our ups and downs over the last 30 years but it has been enjoyable. We take plenty of good memories with us and I'm sure some clubs will be sad to see us go. Others, you have got your wish. One club without Saturday juniors gone.

I have heard Marion have voted to stay in SFL......

Marion didn't have a vote. Senior footballers told board they would join other SFL clubs if they left. board cancelled meeting.
The Poacher

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:53 am

The Poacher wrote:
fathersonsfl wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Morphy parks SAAFL bound in 2017. We have had our ups and downs over the last 30 years but it has been enjoyable. We take plenty of good memories with us and I'm sure some clubs will be sad to see us go. Others, you have got your wish. One club without Saturday juniors gone.

I have heard Marion have voted to stay in SFL......

Marion didn't have a vote. Senior footballers told board they would join other SFL clubs if they left. board cancelled meeting.

The only side left down the hill. May result in defections to Marion from BDOS / cheese, may result in defections from Marion to BDOS / Cheese, or a bit of both. My guess is the latter and it's limited to a handful. My other bet is that the chicken twisties join amatuers in 2017 and SFL is renamed to South Central Football League ;)
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby shoe boy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:00 am

fathersonsfl wrote:

Disappointed with the exit of the Bombers who I have always admired and built strong relationships with.

This is not a decision made with haste , I can recall the special CLUBS meeting at Reynella 2 to 3 years ago that Brighton called with concerns that have not been addressed !
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Boof » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:12 am

shoe boy wrote:
fathersonsfl wrote:

Disappointed with the exit of the Bombers who I have always admired and built strong relationships with.

This is not a decision made with haste , I can recall the special CLUBS meeting at Reynella 2 to 3 years ago that Brighton called with concerns that have not been addressed !

Good luck to Brighton and Morphie Parks and good luck to the teams left who will know doubt get to play the crap sides more often from next season!
What a great result, well done to the league officials!
Boof
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby shoe boy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:37 am

With the decision and movement of clubs within the SFL come opportunity to rebuild and progress.

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything." :-?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:02 am

There are still plenty of terrific clubs in the SFL and some of the changes on the horizon may not have suited Brighton if we stayed and may not be the best fit for a couple of SFL clubs, but at least those changes have the potential to stabilise the competition for the remaining clubs. The league we are going to is not without its problems with club viability, particularly in the middle to lower divisions.

This probably highlights that there are too many clubs in metropolitan Adelaide for Adelaide's population not to mention that all metropolitan clubs (except Marion) from as far South as Flinders Uni and Brighton down to North Haven in the North-West up to Smithfield in the North and Houghton in the North-East are now all in the one league.

If I could be granted one wish for grassroots suburban football for all metropolitan clubs 10 years from now it would be for a Northern League and Southern League modelled on the Melbourne District Leagues and possibly a Central Adelaide League to cater for the Old Collegian and other inner suburban clubs.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:41 pm

If I could be granted one wish for grassroots suburban football for all metropolitan clubs 10 years from now it would be for a Northern League and Southern League modelled on the Melbourne District Leagues and possibly a Central Adelaide League to cater for the Old Collegian and other inner suburban clubs.

Welcome to the SAAFL DTH. Like your suggestion but sadly tried and tested in the SAAFL and caused mnore problems than it solved and was abandoned.

Results were similar to what you are currently experiencing now in the SFL with blow out scores,
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Dirty Darryl » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Hack-ham goneski. A surprise 4th team may be added to the s.f.l. omissions.
Dirty Darryl
Mini-League

Postby scottroo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Where are hackham off too?
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:30 pm

scottroo wrote:Where are hackham off too?

Rumours floating about they were working through the issues that were highlighted to them by the SAAFL maybe they have negotiated their terms of entry to something similar current SAAFL clubs are put on an amended affiliation agreement?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL