Greatest full forwards of the Southern League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Who is the greatest full forward of the past decade

Poll ended at Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Scott Pollard
39%
Brendan McKeough
4%
Bomber Ryan
32%
Dion Hibberd
7%
Matt Golding
3%
Duncan Draper
3%
Clint Draper
No votes
Brad Smith
4%
Clint Godwin
4%
Jason Schuetz
No votes
Rowan Waugh
No votes
Brett Mannion
3%
Dan Butcher
1%

Total votes : 72

Greatest full forwards of the Southern League

Postby Bag The Points » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:06 pm

Who is the SFL's greatest full forward of the past decade ?
My pick goes to Steve "Bomber" Ryan with Scott Pollard close behind him.
If I have left your favourite out, feel free to use this topic to proclaim his greatness.(not sure if I'm allowed to add names after I submit this, but if I am, I'll add your favourite on your request).
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Greatest full forwards of the Southern League

Postby Lunchbox Legend » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 am

Without a doubt Scott Pollard is the best full forward since Baden Taylor back in the late 70's early 80's.
Lunchbox Legend

Postby pale ale » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:59 am

Bomber Ryan and Scott Pollard are quite different, Polly a great lead and mark and Ryan just so strong and could kick them from anywhere.
Ryan the better but only just.
These two clearly the best in the last decade for me....
pale ale
Under 16s

Postby asert » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:24 am

a few i never saw in their prime but my vote would be dunc draper
asert
League Bench Warmer

Postby interested observer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 am

I know this guy does not fit the criteria of "the last decade", but Wayne Carlin was as good as anyone going around.
Consistent high numbers when the SFL was a good, tough, even comp...

No doubt these guys above are very good, however you can't help but think their numbers are a bit distorted given the great divide in ability between the top and bottom sides.
Conservatively gifted 20 to 30 goals a year..
Only my opinion..
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Speccy02 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:15 pm

600+ goals in the last 6 season makes Pollard the clear choice for mine.
Speccy02
Rookie

Postby THE MOLE » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Goals and premierships alone say Pollard easily.
Best ive seen play and most unstopable would have to be Bomber Ryan. An absolute gun.
THE MOLE
Under 18s

Postby bulldogs » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:56 pm

interested observer wrote:I know this guy does not fit the criteria of "the last decade", but Wayne Carlin was as good as anyone going around.
Consistent high numbers when the SFL was a good, tough, even comp...

No doubt these guys above are very good, however you can't help but think their numbers are a bit distorted given the great divide in ability between the top and bottom sides.
Only my opinion..

is this the Wayne Carlin who played for Salis Nth. Played against him a few times and he seemed to struggle all be it he played in a side which wasnt very good
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Swooper16 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:03 pm

interested observer wrote:
Only my opinion..

Cant argue with that IO. Which is why when entering the debate i think emphasis should be purely based on what these guys have accomplished in the BIG games or on good opponents. Eg Pollard has kicked alot of goals in finals and not always when things are going Morphies way. 2 examples would be a prelim against reynella in the wet (2005 i think) and last years GF. Bomber Ryan kicked plenty of goals even when cove were a middle of the road team. Remember playing in a 100 point win against them and he still kicked 11 or something.

Definately out of those 2 for me.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Slammer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:39 pm

Scott Pollard for mine easily.
Will country clubs try to lure him away from the Emus for very big $$$ again this year??
Slammer

Postby Legend killer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:41 pm

i went for bomber ryan only because there wasnt an option for aldinga/sullies/reynella/hackham/marion great tony nobes who wouldve kicked a few goals in his day
Legend killer
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Blackfriars OS

Postby lion heart » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Legend killer wrote:i went for bomber ryan only because there wasnt an option for aldinga/sullies/reynella/hackham/marion great tony nobes who wouldve kicked a few goals in his day

Hahahaha i think you missed a couple of clubs LK!

My vote goes to Bomber he was a true showman. Pollard is very good but 'Bomber' was freakish. Could take a hanger, pull out a one hander or crumb a goal like a small forward. Very versatile and impossible to stop on his day not to mention down to earth as they come not a hint of arrogance about him.

Who other than Bomber has kicked 10 against the Emu's in the last 5 years. Not many if any.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby ALCOHOLIC ANONYMOUS » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:30 pm

bomber ryan because he was a showman.
whenever he played cove had an extra 24-25 fans watching and piggy thompson best b grade forward ;)
DR DRE IS NOT A LICENSED DOCTOR
ALCOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Port Noarlunga

Postby lion heart » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Forgot to mention Bomber played in Diamond Valley league in country victoria which is very high standard of footy and has hundreds of goals to his credit down there. From memory may have played some vfl/afl ressies footy too.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby White Line Fever » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Good work BTP. What a toughy.
In the last decade clearly rules Brad Smith out, as this is his first year in SFL.
Pollard great.... but is too 1-dimensional. Lead, mark(on the tit), goal =3rd
Clint Draper because I've stood in front of him still with him on lead and he was a scary man. Never took a backward step =2nd
Bomber Ryan for me. Earned his kicks. Was it him that kicked his 100th goal of year then left at half-time to catch a plane???
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Bag The Points » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Nobesy definitely close to the best through the Nineties, but I'm pretty sure most of his big bags were kicked well over ten years ago. If I'm wrong I apologise.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby KEYDEFENDER » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Dunc Draper - Could lead, pack mark and kick from anywhere..(dont think he could handball though :lol: )
Polly- good lead and mark out front. Has had some great support from team mates.
Bomber Ryan - Smart with his body position. very smooth mover, accurate kick.
Milo - Quick and once he had position on you.. all over. Did not rate him in the air to much.
Hibberd - Had to play him front or else to hard to get to the drop zone..
Ash Burt (I think from porties???) used to go alright for a smaller type.. kicked over 100 before.

I have to say Draper was the best I had seen.

PS.. why are these hacks getting all the glory BTP.. what about the Defenders?..
KEYDEFENDER
Rookie

Postby Cheese Twisties » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 pm

Scotty Pollard for me, he's got the score on the board consistently over the last 5 years or so! He may look like a bit of a punce occasionally with the gloves/lace ups/long sleaves etc but he's hard as nails and wont think twice about running back with the flight in to packs chasing a mark. 100 goals again this season, and no "silly" 20+ goal bags against the lower sides, just a consistent even spread of goals. He still cant handball with the correct backspin however! [-X

Bomber Ryan was a gun, stood him a few times myself and was always a challenge! I remember leading him to a ball and clearing it, and the big fella tackled/powerslammed me just as i released it, and before he let me go he had picked me up off the ground and placed me on my feet again... took me a few seconds to realise what had happened! Ive i reckon i have seen Bomber watching a few Cove games this season, is he playing anywhere these days?

Walking down to the goalsquare to stand one out with big Duncan Draper was always intimidating as well...!!
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby vics01 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Scott Pollard a very good Full Forward playing in a very good team.
Bomber Ryan a very very good Full Forward playing in a good team.

Bomber Ryan was a brilliant forward always seemed to have time and grace for a big bloke read the ball a fraction better than Scott Pollard, not much between them.
Just when you thought Bomber was gone he would appear and take the grab (and give off)

If I remember correctly Pollard kicked six in a losing grand final pretty fair effort in a game where nothing went right for his team. (memory might be a little blurred due to a tooheys or two on the day) Bomber a gentleman, great footy brain and the best kick of a footy I have seen at this level of footy.

Must not forget the bloke who I think is the toughest FF I have seen at this level Clint (White Line) Godwin, kicked goals in the SFL and GSFL. Not far behind Bomber and Pollard for mind.

Where Bomber was nice Godwin was a nasty tough unit on the ground but a gentleman off.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby ball breaker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:02 am

vics01 wrote:Scott Pollard a very good Full Forward playing in a very good team.
Bomber Ryan a very very good Full Forward playing in a good team.

Bomber Ryan was a brilliant forward always seemed to have time and grace for a big bloke read the ball a fraction better than Scott Pollard, not much between them.
Just when you thought Bomber was gone he would appear and take the grab (and give off)

If I remember correctly Pollard kicked six in a losing grand final pretty fair effort in a game where nothing went right for his team. (memory might be a little blurred due to a tooheys or two on the day) Bomber a gentleman, great footy brain and the best kick of a footy I have seen at this level of footy.

Must not forget the bloke who I think is the toughest FF I have seen at this level Clint (White Line) Godwin, kicked goals in the SFL and GSFL. Not far behind Bomber and Pollard for mind.

Where Bomber was nice Godwin was a nasty tough unit on the ground but a gentleman off.

Godwin for me! I'd rather him be on my side than the opposition!! :) :prayer: :prayer: To the great mans defence, he would get sgragged etc and he would then give the full back plenty of warnings (or three) about not roughing him up! the full back would try it one more time ... only to find themselves laying on the ground wondering what had just happened! so yes he did hav white line fever but he warned his opponeent before he smacked them! I think that is fair, don't you ?? all he wanted to do was play fair one on one footy !!
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 5 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL