Greatest full forwards of the Southern League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Who is the greatest full forward of the past decade

Poll ended at Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Scott Pollard
39%
Brendan McKeough
4%
Bomber Ryan
32%
Dion Hibberd
7%
Matt Golding
3%
Duncan Draper
3%
Clint Draper
No votes
Brad Smith
4%
Clint Godwin
4%
Jason Schuetz
No votes
Rowan Waugh
No votes
Brett Mannion
3%
Dan Butcher
1%

Total votes : 72

Re: Greatest full forwards of the Southern League

Postby Axle Rose » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:40 am

ball breaker wrote:
vics01 wrote:Scott Pollard a very good Full Forward playing in a very good team.
Bomber Ryan a very very good Full Forward playing in a good team.

Bomber Ryan was a brilliant forward always seemed to have time and grace for a big bloke read the ball a fraction better than Scott Pollard, not much between them.
Just when you thought Bomber was gone he would appear and take the grab (and give off)

If I remember correctly Pollard kicked six in a losing grand final pretty fair effort in a game where nothing went right for his team. (memory might be a little blurred due to a tooheys or two on the day) Bomber a gentleman, great footy brain and the best kick of a footy I have seen at this level of footy.

Must not forget the bloke who I think is the toughest FF I have seen at this level Clint (White Line) Godwin, kicked goals in the SFL and GSFL. Not far behind Bomber and Pollard for mind.

Where Bomber was nice Godwin was a nasty tough unit on the ground but a gentleman off.

Godwin for me! I'd rather him be on my side than the opposition!! :) :prayer: :prayer: To the great mans defence, he would get sgragged etc and he would then give the full back plenty of warnings (or three) about not roughing him up! the full back would try it one more time ... only to find themselves laying on the ground wondering what had just happened! so yes he did hav white line fever but he warned his opponeent before he smacked them! I think that is fair, don't you ?? all he wanted to do was play fair one on one footy !!

Must be a different bloke to the one i saw on sunday playing c grade at reynella. Ball was a hundred metres away and he decided he needed to start punching a 19 yr old that was minding his own business. Perhaps he's just got old and cranky but to punch a kid that far off the play in c grade footy is pretty weak.
Axle Rose
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby the big bang » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:30 pm

ball breaker wrote:
vics01 wrote:Scott Pollard a very good Full Forward playing in a very good team.

Bomber Ryan was a brilliant forward always seemed to have time and grace for a big bloke read the ball a fraction better than Scott Pollard, not much between them.
Just when you thought Bomber was gone he would appear and take the grab (and give off)

If I remember correctly Pollard kicked six in a losing grand final pretty fair effort in a game where nothing went right for his team. (memory might be a little blurred due to a tooheys or two on the day) Bomber a gentleman, great footy brain and the best kick of a footy I have seen at this level of footy.

Must not forget the bloke who I think is the toughest FF I have seen at this level Clint (White Line) Godwin, kicked goals in the SFL and GSFL. Not far behind Bomber and Pollard for mind.

Where Bomber was nice Godwin was a nasty tough unit on the ground but a gentleman off.

Godwin for me! I'd rather him be on my side than the opposition!! :) :prayer: :prayer: To the great mans defence, he would get sgragged etc and he would then give the full back plenty of warnings (or three) about not roughing him up! the full back would try it one more time ... only to find themselves laying on the ground wondering what had just happened! so yes he did hav white line fever but he warned his opponeent before he smacked them! I think that is fair, don't you ?? all he wanted to do was play fair one on one footy !!

well, no, it's not fair. if the defender that was "roughing him up" was doing so within the rules, then it is not fair to smack him! dosnt matter how many warnings he gave! it's still shouldnt be allowed!
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby the red baron » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Tony Nobes was a great player who on his day was impossible to stop. I got in his way one day and he ran straight through me!
the red baron
Under 18s

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Gumeracha

Postby & Pigs Fly » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:01 pm

the_big_bang wrote:
ball breaker wrote:

well, no, it's not fair. if the defender that was "roughing him up" was doing so within the rules, then it is not fair to smack him! dosnt matter how many warnings he gave! it's still shouldnt be allowed!

tbb no wonder you guys can't even beat Hackham! If you're just going to stand there and let someone dictate to you how the day is going to go, no wonder you are losers.
& Pigs Fly
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby the big bang » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 pm

& Pigs Fly wrote:
the_big_bang wrote:
ball breaker wrote:

tbb no wonder you guys can't even beat Hackham! If you're just going to stand there and let someone dictate to you how the day is going to go, no wonder you are losers.

first of all dipsh!t, i dont play. secondly, how is playing by the rules and not being a dirty scumbag make me a loser? would rather lose and be known as a fair and honest player than win and have people talk of me as a dirty player. w@nker
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Postby The Cadet » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 pm

The scary thing is Bomber Ryan was at his best as a full forward before he arrived in South Australia. Used to play for Tatura in the goulbun valley leauge, a leauge which is regarded as the best in country Australia. Think he may of treid out at Collingwood some time ago.
The Cadet
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby fido bedow » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:03 pm

KEYDEFENDER wrote:Dunc Draper - Could lead, pack mark and kick from anywhere..(dont think he could handball though :lol: )
Polly- good lead and mark out front. Has had some great support from team mates.
Bomber Ryan - Smart with his body position. very smooth mover, accurate kick.
Milo - Quick and once he had position on you.. all over. Did not rate him in the air to much.
Hibberd - Had to play him front or else to hard to get to the drop zone..
Ash Burt (I think from porties???) used to go alright for a smaller type.. kicked over 100 before.

I have to say Draper was the best I had seen.

PS.. why are these hacks getting all the glory BTP.. what about the Defenders?..

Pretty good rundown of these blokes DEFENDER but for me i'd rate D draper and Hibberd on par both consitent forwards over long periods when the comp alot more competitve Hibbs the best kick for goal out of the list.Bomber ryan if he had played for more years in the league would have probably topped the list freak on his day!
fido bedow
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times

Postby & Pigs Fly » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:47 am

Godwin for me! I'd rather him be on my side than the opposition!! :) :prayer: :prayer: To the great mans defence, he would get sgragged etc and he would then give the full back plenty of warnings (or three) about not roughing him up! the full back would try it one more time ... only to find themselves laying on the ground wondering what had just happened! so yes he did hav white line fever but he warned his opponeent before he smacked them! I think that is fair, don't you ?? all he wanted to do was play fair one on one footy !![/quote]

well, no, it's not fair. if the defender that was "roughing him up" was doing so within the rules, then it is not fair to smack him! dosnt matter how many warnings he gave! it's still shouldnt be allowed![/quote]

tbb no wonder you guys can't even beat Hackham! If you're just going to stand there and let someone dictate to you how the day is going to go, no wonder you are losers.[/quote]

first of all dipsh!t, i dont play. secondly, how is playing by the rules and not being a dirty scumbag make me a loser? would rather lose and be known as a fair and honest player than win and have people talk of me as a dirty player. w@nker[/quote]

"dipsh!t", "dirty scumbag" and "w@nker" well I'm so hurt! I've been called much worse than that and would rather be called anything other than loser. That's probably about as tough as you get thou. I would rather stick up for myself on the footy field than just bend over and take it from behind week in and week out like you blokes. With people like you around the club with that sort of attitude you will always be losers.
& Pigs Fly
Mini-League

Postby the big bang » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 am

& Pigs Fly wrote:Godwin for me! I'd rather him be on my side than the opposition!! :) :prayer: :prayer: To the great mans defence, he would get sgragged etc and he would then give the full back plenty of warnings (or three) about not roughing him up! the full back would try it one more time ... only to find themselves laying on the ground wondering what had just happened! so yes he did hav white line fever but he warned his opponeent before he smacked them! I think that is fair, don't you ?? all he wanted to do was play fair one on one footy !!

well, no, it's not fair. if the defender that was "roughing him up" was doing so within the rules, then it is not fair to smack him! dosnt matter how many warnings he gave! it's still shouldnt be allowed![/quote]

tbb no wonder you guys can't even beat Hackham! If you're just going to stand there and let someone dictate to you how the day is going to go, no wonder you are losers.[/quote]

first of all dipsh!t, i dont play. secondly, how is playing by the rules and not being a dirty scumbag make me a loser? would rather lose and be known as a fair and honest player than win and have people talk of me as a dirty player. w@nker[/quote]

"dipsh!t", "dirty scumbag" and "w@nker" well I'm so hurt! I've been called much worse than that and would rather be called anything other than loser. That's probably about as tough as you get thou. I would rather stick up for myself on the footy field than just bend over and take it from behind week in and week out like you blokes. With people like you around the club with that sort of attitude you will always be losers.[/quote]

i'm not saying i dont stick up for myself or my team mates.if someone hits me or a mate of mine, i'm in just as quick as anyone. what i would never do is be the first one to throw a punch, because as i said, i'd rather lose than be known as dirty. and supporting a losing side makes me a loser does it? wouldnt mind sticking you in a room full of melbourne, north melbourne, fremantle and west coast supporters and calling them a pack of losers. i'm proud as punch to let everyone know i love the Aldinga Footy Club,. do you have any idea how easy it would be to just up and leave the club over the last few years we've had? it took me nearly 3 full seasons to win a game wearing the black and gold. would you have stuck it out in times like that? considering you'd rather be called a "dirty scumbag" than a "loser", i think not.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:59 am

the red baron wrote:Tony Nobes was a great player who on his day was impossible to stop. I got in his way one day and he ran straight through me!

The question is the Last Decade - a few C-Grade games this decade don't make you the best....
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Bag The Points » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:51 pm

A massive battle going on between Pollard and Ryan. At this stage it looks as though these guys have been voted as the two dominant full forwards of the period.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Lova » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:13 pm

KEYDEFENDER wrote:Dunc Draper - Could lead, pack mark and kick from anywhere..(dont think he could handball though :lol: )
Polly- good lead and mark out front. Has had some great support from team mates.
Bomber Ryan - Smart with his body position. very smooth mover, accurate kick.
Milo - Quick and once he had position on you.. all over. Did not rate him in the air to much.
Hibberd - Had to play him front or else to hard to get to the drop zone..
Ash Burt (I think from porties???) used to go alright for a smaller type.. kicked over 100 before.

I have to say Draper was the best I had seen.

PS.. why are these hacks getting all the glory BTP.. what about the Defenders?..

If Bag the points starts up a defenders poll. I would have to nominate 2 defenders from the emus.
Craig "Smithers" Smith is a great stopper and gives great run out of defense as well as the ability to kick long over the line.
Michael "Bruno" Zaluski would be the other one. Is a dower defender that rarely gets beaten. He does have an awkward kicking style but never misses a target always calm under pressure and I Cant count the amount of times ive seen him punch the ball away in a 1 on 1 contest.
Beat the whites of eggs with a pinch of salt until stiff...Continue beating, gradually adding sugar, vinegar and vanilla, until of thick consistency.
The Lova
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby shoe boy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:18 pm

Funny you said that Lova as I was thinking the same.

J Peach from the Shoe has been very good over the years at fullback and never had a bag kicked on him.(just ask him)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Bag The Points » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Craig Smith would have to be one very strong contender in a defender's poll, but starting one is too hard. I'd never remember all the possible contenders. (Forwards are easier. You've got the goal lists to use as a guide)
All you guys who want one, there is nothing stopping you starting a poll yourself.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby t express » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Bag The Points wrote:A massive battle going on between Pollard and Ryan. At this stage it looks as though these guys have been voted as the two dominant full forwards of the period.

i personally have played on D draper, hibberd, pollard, ryan. my opinion.pollard good hands and quick but gets fed the footy very well,hibberd great kick great kick good use of body no speed,draper good,on and off i thought personally when playing on him,bomber ryan,great hands,slotts them from everywhere,quick first few steps,reads play very well,good body positioning and can mark the footy,for me bomber ryan
t express
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby The Dutchman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Who has kicked the most goals on you t express? What was the biggest haul?
The Dutchman
Under 18s

Postby pale ale » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:55 pm

If you want to get on defenders mine would be Travis Tedmansen, Craig Smith & Scott McKenzie - all would be worthy of best defender
pale ale
Under 16s

Postby Snaparazzi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:05 pm

pale ale wrote:If you want to get on defenders mine would be Travis Tedmansen, Craig Smith & Scott McKenzie - all would be worthy of best defender

Jason Gaskin would have to be considered!
Snaparazzi
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby GO THE PUNT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Tough topic this one there are to many variables (eg who is in what side during what period, what teams they played twice etc). Also to determine who was the best you would have to look at pecentages of each player in the way of who kicked the straightest, who had more scoreing shots, who played more seasons, who performed against stronger sides etc etc etc. for me all have talent and all possible of kicking 100 goals if they get the opportunities. I reckon dunc draper was the best but we didnt see enough seasons out of him.
GO THE PUNT
Rookie

Postby t express » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:38 pm

The Dutchman wrote:Who has kicked the most goals on you t express? What was the biggest haul?

bomber ryan 07 at cove,6 goals no excuses just out classsed,he kicked 6 out of 18
t express
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL