UMPIRING

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

UMPIRING

Postby fido bedow » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:01 pm

Just want to say what a joke of an umpiring display at Aldinga oval Y day between Brighton and towns it was like watching a netball game it wouldn't have changed result bombers too good on the day but the amount of ticcy touch frees for a finals game was hard to watch
fido bedow
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time

Re: UMPIRING

Postby footy1992 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:45 pm

fido bedow wrote:Just want to say what a joke of an umpiring display at Aldinga oval Y day between Brighton and towns it was like watching a netball game it wouldn't have changed result bombers too good on the day but the amount of ticcy touch frees for a finals game was hard to watch

Isn't the job of an umpire to pay free kicks fido below? Just because the game is under the cloud of a "final" it doesnt change the rules. Im sure you would also be complaining if they paid no frees, am i correct?
footy1992
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:51 pm

You SFL lads have very little to complain about from what I have seen in your league in past couple of weeks. go and see the standard in the SAAFL Div 4 & below shocking is an understatement.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jayne » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:49 pm

SAAFL umpires are streets ahead of SFL umpires without question. The number of 60+ year olds that umpire in the SFL with mobility and eye sight issues is incomprehensible. Didn't see the game yesterday Towns Vs BDOS but from all reports a very disappointing standard of umpiring, with both sets of players continually laughing to each other in disbelief about the incompetence. What a joke they are... Too much time and effort is put into football by players, coaches and officials to have it officiated by clueless incompetent backyarders, what a joke...!?
Jayne
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time

Postby lion heart » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Its a sad fact that some of best umps in S.F.L. officiate in the B grade. Robinson (Emu's) and Griffen (Flies) are two of the best going around. The main reason is these guys actually played the game. So the question has to be asked what are the Southern League doing to create a pathway for former players to take up umpiring once their playing days are over?

The majority of the current umps are far too whistle happy and spoil the game.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Jayne » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Here here!
Jayne
Rookie

Postby BRaG » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:28 pm

Jayne wrote:SAAFL umpires are streets ahead of SFL umpires without question. The number of 60+ year olds that umpire in the SFL with mobility and eye sight issues is incomprehensible. Didn't see the game yesterday Towns Vs BDOS but from all reports a very disappointing standard of umpiring, with both sets of players continually laughing to each other in disbelief about the incompetence. What a joke they are... Too much time and effort is put into football by players, coaches and officials to have it officiated by clueless incompetent backyarders, what a joke...!?

So I am assuming you will put your hand up and umpire next year?
BRaG
Rookie

Postby Axle Rose » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:20 am

What is everyones opinion on having 3 field umpires. I assume it is done to make sure the umps can keep up with the pace of the game on big ovals and the extra pair of eyes enables them to see from a different angle incase one umpire misses something? Then why do we continually see umpires not at the contest refusing to pay a decision that has clearly been missed by the officiating umpire. I have no problem with an umpire missing an obvious free kick. That is football and it is always going to happen, but when there is another umpire in the perfect position to make the call and doesnt, then that is just plain incompetence. Umpire the game exactly how YOU see it and not how you think someone else sees it.
Axle Rose
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Kart Horse » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:49 am

The umpires struggle with the 3 umpires because they dont understand it. I thought the reason for 3 was so the umpires not in control can watch off the footy. On the weekend they were saying I cant pay that Im not in control. He was right they werent in control all day. And these are meant to be our best umpires!
Kart Horse
Rookie

Postby asert » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:09 am

They dont do it for fear they are stepping on the others toes. surely if another umpire calls something it cos he thinks hes in a better position to call it. also this would make the ump keep with the game better for fear of it happening but it wouldnt be good if it kept happening too much
asert
League Bench Warmer

Postby Axle Rose » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am

Couldnt help but laugh at this one yesterday. At M Vale an umpire awarded a free kick to a player from plympton. A player from MV thought the free kick had been paid to him so he picked the ball up and pushed back to take his kick. Knowing that the umpire had clearly pointed in the direction to indicate a free to plympton, i watched him closely to see what he would do. He saw the MV player with the ball, put the whistle to his mouth looking like he was about to inform players it was the other way, but then decided it was going to be too hard and just let it go. I thought it might have been just me, but the bloke next to me saw exactly the same thing. If one of our senior umpires doesnt have the confidence to stick to original decision, we could be in for a long year.
Axle Rose
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby White Line Fever » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Axle Rose wrote:Couldnt help but laugh at this one yesterday. At M Vale an umpire awarded a free kick to a player from plympton. A player from MV thought the free kick had been paid to him so he picked the ball up and pushed back to take his kick. Knowing that the umpire had clearly pointed in the direction to indicate a free to plympton, i watched him closely to see what he would do. He saw the MV player with the ball, put the whistle to his mouth looking like he was about to inform players it was the other way, but then decided it was going to be too hard and just let it go. I thought it might have been just me, but the bloke next to me saw exactly the same thing. If one of our senior umpires doesnt have the confidence to stick to original decision, we could be in for a long year.

Need more blokes like Marty Clift and Simon Black umpiring.
No-one argues with them..... :lol:
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby special » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:08 pm

white line fever wrote:
Axle Rose wrote:Couldnt help but laugh at this one yesterday. At M Vale an umpire awarded a free kick to a player from plympton. A player from MV thought the free kick had been paid to him so he picked the ball up and pushed back to take his kick. Knowing that the umpire had clearly pointed in the direction to indicate a free to plympton, i watched him closely to see what he would do. He saw the MV player with the ball, put the whistle to his mouth looking like he was about to inform players it was the other way, but then decided it was going to be too hard and just let it go. I thought it might have been just me, but the bloke next to me saw exactly the same thing. If one of our senior umpires doesnt have the confidence to stick to original decision, we could be in for a long year.

i do
special
Rookie

Postby White Line Fever » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:31 pm

special wrote:
white line fever wrote:

i do

You only argue with goal umpires :lol:
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby special » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 pm

white line fever wrote:
special wrote:
white line fever wrote:

i do

You only argue with goal umpires :lol:

true then the field umpire who should over rule but NOOOOOOOOO only happens to others
special
Rookie

Postby HH3 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:14 pm

Just on the umpires yesterday...

First of all, they had no bearing on the game, we lost it for ourselves and the umpiring was terrible for both sides...

Some examples are...

A team kicking a point, that was almost out on the full, called a goal

A team kicking it out on the full, called a point

A player running through his own teams mark, which i obviously couldnt follow him, and he ended up with the ball 25 meters up the ground. When i asked the ump why he let him run through the mark, his explanation was that a player can run through his team mates mark, but the opposition cant...WRONG!!!

Also there was a fair few "too many players in the center square" rules called...which was fine because there was a couple of times...but one of the was against Aldinga...but what happened was they only had 3 in the center, so one ran in just before the bounce and they gave us the free. Fair enough it was a young kid doing the boundary who call it, and im not having a go at him, but it was pointed out to the field umpire who didnt even bother to count for himself...

I got tackled across the chest and it was called high...an Aldinga player taken higher than i was about 20 seconds later, play on....

I understand that we would get the less qualified umpires, but still, they should know the rules as well as i do, if not better...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby footy1992 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:53 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:Just on the umpires yesterday...

First of all, they had no bearing on the game, we lost it for ourselves and the umpiring was terrible for both sides...

Some examples are...

A player running through his own teams mark, which i obviously couldnt follow him, and he ended up with the ball 25 meters up the ground. When i asked the ump why he let him run through the mark, his explanation was that a player can run through his team mates mark, but the opposition cant...WRONG!!! No that is the correct desicion

Also there was a fair few "too many players in the center square" rules called...which was fine because there was a couple of times...but one of the was against Aldinga...but what happened was they only had 3 in the center, so one ran in just before the bounce and they gave us the free. Fair enough it was a young kid doing the boundary who call it, and im not having a go at him, but it was pointed out to the field umpire who didnt even bother to count for himself... Also the correct desicion. Once the umpire has addressed the circle no player can enter the square whether they have 3 or not!

I got tackled across the chest and it was called high...an Aldinga player taken higher than i was about 20 seconds later, play on....

I understand that we would get the less qualified umpires, but still, they should know the rules as well as i do, if not better...
footy1992
Under 16s

Postby Farva » Mon May 17, 2010 5:19 pm

Some examples are...

A player running through his own teams mark, which i obviously couldnt follow him, and he ended up with the ball 25 meters up the ground. When i asked the ump why he let him run through the mark, his explanation was that a player can run through his team mates mark, but the opposition cant...WRONG!!!

Also there was a fair few "too many players in the center square" rules called...which was fine because there was a couple of times...but one of the was against Aldinga...but what happened was they only had 3 in the center, so one ran in just before the bounce and they gave us the free. Fair enough it was a young kid doing the boundary who call it, and im not having a go at him, but it was pointed out to the field umpire who didnt even bother to count for himself...

if you are following a player that runs through the mark you are allowed to follow him through.
Farva
Rookie

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby DILLIGAF » Mon May 17, 2010 5:35 pm

lion heart wrote:Its a sad fact that some of best umps in S.F.L. officiate in the B grade. Robinson (Emu's) and Griffen (Flies) are two of the best going around. The main reason is these guys actually played the game. So the question has to be asked what are the Southern League doing to create a pathway for former players to take up umpiring once their playing days are over?

The majority of the current umps are far too whistle happy and spoil the game.

paul crate does ok
Does It Look Like I Give A F**k
SEE YA LATER!!!
DILLIGAF
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby footy1992 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:52 am

Farva wrote:

Some examples are...

if you are following a player that runs through the mark you are allowed to follow him through.

i think youll find ytou cant
footy1992
Under 16s

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL