UMPIRING

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: UMPIRING

Postby ddonkey » Tue May 18, 2010 1:39 am

footy1992 wrote:
Farva wrote:
hackham_hawk_3 wrote:Just on the umpires yesterday...

First of all, they had no bearing on the game, we lost it for ourselves and the umpiring was terrible for both sides...

Some examples are...

A team kicking a point, that was almost out on the full, called a goal

A team kicking it out on the full, called a point

A player running through his own teams mark, which i obviously couldnt follow him, and he ended up with the ball 25 meters up the ground. When i asked the ump why he let him run through the mark, his explanation was that a player can run through his team mates mark, but the opposition cant...WRONG!!!

Also there was a fair few "too many players in the center square" rules called...which was fine because there was a couple of times...but one of the was against Aldinga...but what happened was they only had 3 in the center, so one ran in just before the bounce and they gave us the free. Fair enough it was a young kid doing the boundary who call it, and im not having a go at him, but it was pointed out to the field umpire who didnt even bother to count for himself...

I got tackled across the chest and it was called high...an Aldinga player taken higher than i was about 20 seconds later, play on....

I understand that we would get the less qualified umpires, but still, they should know the rules as well as i do, if not better...

if you are following a player that runs through the mark you are allowed to follow him through.

i think youll find ytou cant

Refer Rule 18.1 (e)
ddonkey

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby footy1992 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:32 am

ddonkey wrote:
footy1992 wrote:
Farva wrote:
hackham_hawk_3 wrote:Just on the umpires yesterday...

First of all, they had no bearing on the game, we lost it for ourselves and the umpiring was terrible for both sides...

Some examples are...

A team kicking a point, that was almost out on the full, called a goal

A team kicking it out on the full, called a point

A player running through his own teams mark, which i obviously couldnt follow him, and he ended up with the ball 25 meters up the ground. When i asked the ump why he let him run through the mark, his explanation was that a player can run through his team mates mark, but the opposition cant...WRONG!!!

Also there was a fair few "too many players in the center square" rules called...which was fine because there was a couple of times...but one of the was against Aldinga...but what happened was they only had 3 in the center, so one ran in just before the bounce and they gave us the free. Fair enough it was a young kid doing the boundary who call it, and im not having a go at him, but it was pointed out to the field umpire who didnt even bother to count for himself...

I got tackled across the chest and it was called high...an Aldinga player taken higher than i was about 20 seconds later, play on....

I understand that we would get the less qualified umpires, but still, they should know the rules as well as i do, if not better...

if you are following a player that runs through the mark you are allowed to follow him through.

Refer Rule 18.1 (e)

that rule relates to the 5 metre protected area not crossing the mark.
footy1992
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Dig » Tue May 18, 2010 2:00 pm

DILLIGAF wrote:paul crate does ok

yeah cratey is always consistent. there was also an old fella years ago who umpired for a long time in the SFL, can't think of his name, but he was good. need more like these two.
Dig

Postby Bag The Points » Tue May 18, 2010 2:09 pm

Barry Bromilow ?
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby ddonkey » Tue May 18, 2010 2:42 pm

footy1992 wrote:
ddonkey wrote:
footy1992 wrote:
Farva wrote: if you are following a player that runs through the mark you are allowed to follow him through.

Refer Rule 18.1 (e)

I'm pretty sure that the mark is within the protected area!
ddonkey

Postby footy1992 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:02 pm

i think youll find ytou cant[/quote]

Refer Rule 18.1 (e)[/quote]
that rule relates to the 5 metre protected area not crossing the mark.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that the mark is within the protected area![/quote]

Yes. your correct. but im sure theres a rule somewhere. Too the rule book i go!
footy1992
Under 16s

Postby Bag The Points » Tue May 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Couldn't possibly let one go through and not the other ----- otherwise you'd see it all the time in AFL. What a wonderful way to shake off a tag !!
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby footy1992 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:35 pm

footy1992 wrote:i think youll find ytou cant

Yes. your correct. but im sure theres a rule somewhere. Too the rule book i go![/quote]

hahah okay i conciede. I am incorrect. as long as you are withn 5 metres of a teammate! 8) ;)
footy1992
Under 16s

Postby HH3 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Bag The Points wrote:Couldn't possibly let one go through and not the other ----- otherwise you'd see it all the time in AFL. What a wonderful way to shake off a tag !!

yeah thats what i mean...i WAS tagging him...he ran through, i couldnt...and i still got warned by the ump to not even try...so he ran off and got the next kick down the field while i had to run around the back of the player taking the kick...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dig » Tue May 18, 2010 4:34 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:
Bag The Points wrote:Couldn't possibly let one go through and not the other ----- otherwise you'd see it all the time in AFL. What a wonderful way to shake off a tag !!

yeah thats what i mean...i WAS tagging him...he ran through, i couldnt...and i still got warned by the ump to not even try...so he ran off and got the next kick down the field while i had to run around the back of the player taking the kick...

You would think this would be the case BTP, but I do recall it happening in a few games I have played in, but I think the ump may have missed it. If your ump was correct HH3 maybe it should be changed as it doesn't make sense or seem fair. Very frustrating if it's your opponent running through and getting in the clear.
Dig

Postby the big bang » Tue May 18, 2010 8:22 pm

i think the rule is something like, if the player runs through the mark, he cant immediatly receive the ball?
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 am

You are allowed to follow your direct opponent through the mark.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dig » Thu May 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Dig wrote:yeah cratey is always consistent. there was also an old fella years ago who umpired for a long time in the SFL, can't think of his name, but he was good. need more like these two.

Bag The Points wrote:Barry Bromilow ?

Reg Burgess was who I was thinking of BTP, but that may be going back even longer than I thought, because now that I think about it he used to umpire when I was playing juniors.
Dig

Postby Bag The Points » Thu May 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Dig wrote:
Dig wrote:yeah cratey is always consistent. there was also an old fella years ago who umpired for a long time in the SFL, can't think of his name, but he was good. need more like these two.

Bag The Points wrote:Barry Bromilow ?

Reg Burgess was who I was thinking of BTP, but that may be going back even longer than I thought, because now that I think about it he used to umpire when I was playing juniors.

I remember Reg well ---- top bloke and top umpire.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Note Book » Thu May 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Yes. your correct. but im sure theres a rule somewhere. Too the rule book i go![/quote]

To settle this once and for all.....The rule is the marking player has a 5 metre protection zone (front, back, left, right). If for example you have a guy which takes a long run up & your opponent runs through the mark & this is more than 5 metres from the player kicking the ball, then this is allow. If however he is within 5 metres then you have infringed the ruling of going within 5 metres of the protection zone.

It is an umpires call...probably best not to run through the mark cos 9/10 the umpire will call you up on 'infringing the marking players protection zone' THAT is what you are giving away the free for, not running through the mark as such... :)
The Note Book

Postby Dig » Thu May 20, 2010 5:28 pm

So the team mates of the player who has possession can run through the mark closer to him than 5 metres, and the opposition player can run through the mark but must not go within 5 metres of him? Is this correct Note Book?
Dig

Postby The Note Book » Thu May 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Dig wrote:So the team mates of the player who has possession can run through the mark closer to him than 5 metres, and the opposition player can run through the mark but must not go within 5 metres of him? Is this correct Note Book?

No - neither player are suppose to within 5 metres of the player who has the mark. As previously mentioned - say you mark the ball go back 15 metres to kick the ball - one of your teammates runs through the mark near the guy standing the mark (15 metres away) and the opposition player follows him, this is suppose to be ok according to the rules. However as prevously mentioned it's an umpires call as to how far away they are & this is normally were the mistake lies & a free kick is given.

IF the marking player handballs/kicks the ball to one of his teammates running pass within 5 metres - it is deemed he has gone off his line 'play-on' is the call.
The Note Book

Postby ddonkey » Fri May 21, 2010 12:17 am

The Note Book wrote:

ddonkey wrote: Refer Rule 18.1 (e)

ddonkey wrote:I'm pretty sure that the mark is within the protected area!

To settle this once and for all.....The rule is the marking player has a 5 metre protection zone (front, back, left, right). If for example you have a guy which takes a long run up & your opponent runs through the mark & this is more than 5 metres from the player kicking the ball, then this is allow. If however he is within 5 metres then you have infringed the ruling of going within 5 metres of the protection zone.

It is an umpires call...probably best not to run through the mark cos 9/10 the umpire will call you up on 'infringing the marking players protection zone' THAT is what you are giving away the free for, not running through the mark as such... :)[/quote]

What are you on TNB? The protected area is 10m wide (5m either side of the line and direction of the kick) from the mark to wherever the player taking the kick is plus a 5m arc around the back and sides of him. Therefor to run anywhere between him and the mark or within the 5m arc around the kicker or any other part of the protected area, unless following an opponent and being within 5m of that opponent, is an infringement.
ddonkey

Postby HH3 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:23 am

yeah im pretty sure you cant run between the kicking player and the mark...thats what the marks for...otherwise wouldnt the player on the mark just creep up to within 5 meters of the kicker all the time...

i think we need someone that knows the rules to comment..
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri May 21, 2010 8:32 am

I think the question that needs to be asked in all of this is how far behind your direct opponent were you when he ran through the mark? Because if you are any more than 5 metres that means you are out of the play. As a tagger your instinct would be to follow him where ever he goes,so why did you not follow him through if you were right on his tail? Lets be honest here as it may explain the whole thing....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL