SFL Junior Policy

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

SFL Junior Policy

Postby vics01 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:46 pm

What do people think of the new Junior Policy being proposed by the SFL.

Relates to Mini League players coming out of Mini's to u14

JUNIOR footballers wanting to switch clubs will have to seek clearance from the Southern Football League, in a move some sides hope will stop their younger players from being poached.
The new rule proposes that players coming out of under-12s will have to spend a season in the under-14s at their original club before they can seek clearance to move.

SFL president Craig Warman said the rule was designed to reward a club’s investment in younger players, especially since accredited coaches had to be provided for junior sides.
“The kids from seven years of age are getting really good coaching,” he said.
“And when they get to under-12s and towards under-14s, we believe we need to reward the clubs and give them something back.”

Mr Warman said the change would “strengthen” clubs and give them an almost guaranteed under-14s base.

Clubs would be given a 14-day period to speak to players and their families to see why they wanted to move, and there would be an extenuating circumstances clause.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Re: SFL Junior Policy

Postby Courtney Fish » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:52 pm

I saw in the Messenger that Noarlunga don't approve of this. I guess most clubs with lots of juniors would feel the same, steal from the poor to give to the rich.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Waterboy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Courtney Fish wrote:I saw in the Messenger that Noarlunga don't approve of this. I guess most clubs with lots of juniors would feel the same, steal from the poor to give to the rich.

Although in the same article Morphett Vale say they support the rule. This rule would also protect the larger clubs as kids who find they aren't getting a game couldn't wander off to a weaker club where they'd get to play more.
Waterboy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby shoe boy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:44 am

We vote on this 26 Oct and my personal opinion is scrap the proposal!

We have a rule in place to reward clubs for the work and effort after lads leave 18 and move to senior footy, but to put a new rule in to protect under 12 players is a joke.

At the Shoe we have exit interviews with anyone wanting to move but would never hold anyone against their wishes. If you build a strong culture and sound enviroment the kids dont want to move.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby recruiter 10 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Forget the NEW junior policy until you can get the OLD one correct.Talking to some people from hackham on grand final day and they were very adament that the sudanese lad (Irra) playing for porties was still on the hackam list and that they never recieved any paper work on his movement let alone a exit interview (shoeboy).
recruiter 10
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Kangarilla

Postby aceman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:41 pm

shoe boy wrote:We vote on this 26 Oct and my personal opinion is scrap the proposal!

We have a rule in place to reward clubs for the work and effort after lads leave 18 and move to senior footy, but to put a new rule in to protect under 12 players is a joke.

At the Shoe we have exit interviews with anyone wanting to move but would never hold anyone against their wishes. If you build a strong culture and sound enviroment the kids dont want to move.

Shoe, How much truth comes out in "exit interviews"?
I'd suggest not a lot if my experience in conducting many of them is worth anything.
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 am

aceman wrote:
shoe boy wrote:We vote on this 26 Oct and my personal opinion is scrap the proposal!

Shoe, How much truth comes out in "exit interviews"?
I'd suggest not a lot if my experience in conducting many of them is worth anything.

Aceman.I find them to be beneficial for both partys.
A lot of discussion has taken place when you reach this forum and it gives closure.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Pearcey » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:55 pm

This rule would also protect the larger clubs as kids who find they aren't getting a game couldn't wander off to a weaker club where they'd get to play more.

Shock, Horror! Kids who aren't getting a game would want to move to a club which gives kids a go!

I guess the kids who sit on the bench every game pay reduced fees - NOT!

This isn't the AFL. It's kids footy. Let 'em go to a club which will actually give treat them fairly and let them have a kick.

Also, if you speak to someone from the North Eastern Metro Association, you will find that their legal advice is that there are no grounds whatsoever to prevent a kid, under the age of 18, from playing for any number of clubs in a single season. Clearances, permits etc are NOT legally enforcible for minors.
Pearcey
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Gepps Cross

Postby recruiter 10 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Pearcey wrote:
This rule would also protect the larger clubs as kids who find they aren't getting a game couldn't wander off to a weaker club where they'd get to play more.

Shock, Horror! Kids who aren't getting a game would want to move to a club which gives kids a go!

I guess the kids who sit on the bench every game pay reduced fees - NOT!

This isn't the AFL. It's kids footy. Let 'em go to a club which will actually give treat them fairly and let them have a kick.

Also, if you speak to someone from the North Eastern Metro Association, you will find that their legal advice is that there are no grounds whatsoever to prevent a kid, under the age of 18, from playing for any number of clubs in a single season. Clearances, permits etc are NOT legally enforcible for minors.

Surely not,kids at this age are very impressionable and all want to be winners of course.If a player could play for any number of clubs wouldnt this allow the better players of the weaker sides being poached by the stronger clubs during a season
recruiter 10
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Kangarilla

Postby Pearcey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:24 pm

Surely not,kids at this age are very impressionable and all want to be winners of course.If a player could play for any number of clubs wouldnt this allow the better players of the weaker sides being poached by the stronger clubs during a season

It all comes down to the philosophy of junior footy, and sport in general. If a kid has his eyes firmly set on an AFL or SANFL career then he should be in an SANFL special squad. Kids are generally not drafted from local clubs. There are guys running around in the AFL/SANFL who didn't play in a winning team as a junior at club level, but had the motivation and ability to make a special squad or state team and got picked up.
Junior footy at club level is more-or-less just for fun and learning.
My club does not have a stack of premierships to boast, two since 2000, but we have had over 60 kids join us from other clubs in the last couple of years whereas we have only had about 10 leave to play elsewhere.
The kids and their families enjoy the environment and bring their mates out each year.
We also have as many, or more, kids in special squads as any other club and growing numbers who become senior SAAFL Div 1 players for our club.
If it's a case of win, win, win then the pressure takes away the fun element and kids drop out.
We had a team of Under 15's a few years ago which lost EVERY game by 20 goals plus. 1/2 the guys from that team are now Div 1 Amateur League or SANFL players.
In one game our kids lost by 37 goals. The opposition coach was furious as he had demanded a 40 goal win from his team. The opposition walked off the field looking like losers, ours had their heads held high.
Pearcey
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Gepps Cross

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL