One Division or Two?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Should the SFL remain in one division or two?

One Division
13%
Two Divisions
87%

Total votes : 167

Re: One Division or Two?

Postby fathersonsfl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Dont think there would be enough teams for that.....
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Straight Line » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:46 pm

fathersonsfl wrote:Dont think there would be enough teams for that.....

Hills central has 10 teams add a couple from country (Hills Div 1), Maybe top 10 from southern (SFL Div1) loose cally and sedan, leaving the others to southern country (Div2) only a thought (never happen)
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Odds of # hills clubs joining SFL
0 - $1.10
1 - $2.50
2 - $2.00
3 - $3.00
4 - $6.00
5 - $15.00
6 - $50
7 - $100
8 - $500
9+ - make your own odds
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 am

Straight Line wrote:If all these clubs want to join the SFL, then the SFL should talk to HFL about a div 1 hills, div 1 southern and div 2 southern hills comp.

I'm not claiming to be a football league committee know it all, but why would these clubs apparently want to swap leagues? Hills Central is the strongest league outside of SAAFL div 2 in SA. Hills league's issues are div 2.
If I got $10 a year for the amount of times I've heard Blackwood will be joining SFL on these forums I'd shout you all a beer.
Load of s*** IMHO.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby afc9798 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:41 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Straight Line wrote:If all these clubs want to join the SFL, then the SFL should talk to HFL about a div 1 hills, div 1 southern and div 2 southern hills comp.

I'm not claiming to be a football league committee know it all, but why would these clubs apparently want to swap leagues? Hills Central is the strongest league outside of SAAFL div 2 in SA. Hills league's issues are div 2.
If I got $10 a year for the amount of times I've heard Blackwood will be joining SFL on these forums I'd shout you all a beer.
Load of s*** IMHO.

You're right, these rumours do happen every year, but this year it's been coming from credible sources. There is obviously some serious issues with HFL management that have lead to a number of clubs looking to change leagues, but it could simply be those clubs putting pressure on the HFL to get what they want.

The SFL is apparently the lowest cost league in the state to enter teams, so maybe this is a factor? Anyway, all speculation until someone actually jumps. For all its faults, the SFL is a pretty well run competition and is also attracting good players and coaches. Big problem to solve is the uncompetitive teams such as Lonsdale, Hackham, Marion and Aldinga who are all the equivalent of a bye for the better clubs.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Champ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:30 pm

From the outside looking in I trully believe the SFL has plenty going for it!!

If the stigma of division 2 is to hurtful for clubs to swallow how about simply a Premier Division made up of all the big clubs who have full grades, sponsorship etc (or whatever perameters you want to make) and the rest of the clubs go in to an 'Amateur' division where they compete with other clubs who aren't as well equipped as the Brighton's and Valleys etc.

Clubs from Amateur can apply to go up provided they meet certain criteria just as Premier clubs could apply to go down rather than relegation. If the applications are one sided, no problems - just means everything is sorting itself out. The league could easily make a new draw every year to accommodate and maybe if the dredded football cycle doesnt cause movement then eventually all amateur clubs will have experienced success of some kind while building their club into a power house in the ilk of a premier club - fast forward in 10 years time there could again be one division and this time a thriving one!
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Animus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 pm

another hypothetical...brought to you by spare time & google maps!

SFL Central:

Morphett Vale
Reynella
Cove
Happy Valley
Flaggy
Blackwood
Brighton
Edwardstown
Morphy Park
Mitchell Park/Kenilworth/Colonel Light Gardens

SFL South:

Aldinga
Porties
Christies
Noarlunga
Hackham
Lonsdale
Marion
Kangy
Meadows
Maccy

Hills Central:

Echunga
Mt Barker
Nairne
Hahndorf
Bridgewater
Ironbank
Mt Lofty
Onka Valley
Uraidla
Mitcham

Hills North:

Kersbrook
Torrens Valley
Birdwood
Gumeracha
Lobethal
Modbury
Athelstone
Houghton
Sedan
Hope Valley
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:42 pm

afc9798 wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:

Load of s*** IMHO.

You're right, these rumours do happen every year, but this year it's been coming from credible sources. There is obviously some serious issues with HFL management that have lead to a number of clubs looking to change leagues, but it could simply be those clubs putting pressure on the HFL to get what they want.

The SFL is apparently the lowest cost league in the state to enter teams, so maybe this is a factor? Anyway, all speculation until someone actually jumps. For all its faults, the SFL is a pretty well run competition and is also attracting good players and coaches. Big problem to solve is the uncompetitive teams such as Lonsdale, Hackham, Marion and Aldinga who are all the equivalent of a bye for the better clubs.

One big issue with the HFL is Callington. Earlier in the year there was a report in the Courier that Cally would be relegated to C grade in 2013 but from what I hear (from an informed source who has been involved with Cally for years until recently), Cally won't go and have engaged lawyers to sue the HFL if the relegation goes ahead. (IMHO they ought to have gone to C grade two or three years ago - I think it's too late for them now, and I don't think too many people will be sorry when they fold.) Other clubs in div 2 are sick of the whole mess and you can't really blame them. As for the clubs in div 1, I wouldn't think this would impact on them; I don't know what their issues are with the league.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Panther32 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Animus wrote:another hypothetical...brought to you by spare time & google maps!

SFL Central:

Morphett Vale
Reynella
Cove
Happy Valley
Flaggy
Blackwood
Brighton
Edwardstown
Morphy Park

SFL South:

Aldinga
Porties
Christies
Noarlunga
Hackham
Lonsdale
Marion
Kangy
Meadows
Maccy

Hills Central:

Echunga
Mt Barker
Nairne
Hahndorf
Bridgewater
Ironbank
Mt Lofty
Onka Valley
Uraidla
Mitcham

Hills North:

Kersbrook
Torrens Valley
Birdwood
Gumeracha
Lobethal
Modbury
Athelstone
Houghton
Sedan
Hope Valley

They actually look pretty spot on there. At first I was going to say Marion should be in the other group on location but on a playing level they are much better suited to that group.
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby On a String » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Lots of great ideas on here but is there anything happening beyond this forum to actually put an idea into place? There is many brick walls and dead ends for anything to eventuate. Good luck with it all but I would tip nothing will change.
On a String

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Animus wrote:another hypothetical...brought to you by spare time & google maps!

SFL Central:

Morphett Vale
Reynella
Cove
Happy Valley
Flaggy
Blackwood
Brighton
Edwardstown
Morphy Park

SFL South:

Aldinga
Porties
Christies
Noarlunga
Hackham
Lonsdale
Marion
Kangy
Meadows
Maccy

Hills Central:

Echunga
Mt Barker
Nairne
Hahndorf
Bridgewater
Ironbank
Mt Lofty
Onka Valley
Uraidla
Mitcham

Hills North:

Kersbrook
Torrens Valley
Birdwood
Gumeracha
Lobethal
Modbury
Athelstone
Houghton
Sedan
Hope Valley

Why would Kenilworth join the SFL for? I thought Mitchell Park had their time in the league and wouldnt go back there.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby scottroo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Colonel Light Gardens are happy in the SAAFL, wouldnt even think of moving
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Animus that solution wouldn't stop the floggings. I'd rather go out to Elizabeth for a game that we'd be competitive in than drive to Morphett Vale and get beaten by 20-30 goals any day....
Only way the issue would properly be sorted is if you combined the SFL and SAAFL and have 4 8 division comps for north and 4 8 division leagues for south. Bottom 2 and top 2 rotating each year.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:52 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Animus that solution wouldn't stop the floggings. I'd rather go out to Elizabeth for a game that we'd be competitive in than drive to Morphett Vale and get beaten by 20-30 goals any day....
Only way the issue would properly be sorted is if you combined the SFL and SAAFL and have 4 8 division comps for north and 4 8 division leagues for south. Bottom 2 and top 2 rotating each year.

Innocent question - Would Morphett Vale beat Kenilworth by 20-30 goals?
What SAAFL Div level would MV be at?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Broken Down Hack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Morphett Vale would easily play A2 level....very competitive club with 6 GF appearances in last 7 yrs....5 flags.....currently in rebuilding stage after many retirements..
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 am

Old Hack I know Morphett Vale are rebuilding and they potentially are the best 9th side to ever play SFL but if you think they are currently @ a competitive A2 standard you're kidding yourself....... A2 is the 2nd best standard in SA behind div 1 from teams 1-10. Morphed @ their best were better than the current leaders and were div 1 standard. @ best they are strong div 3 and I use the 6 goal theory per league on match day.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:05 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Animus that solution wouldn't stop the floggings. I'd rather go out to Elizabeth for a game that we'd be competitive in than drive to Morphett Vale and get beaten by 20-30 goals any day....

That may work from a senior point of view, but the juniors would be destroyed
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:49 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:

That may work from a senior point of view, but the juniors would be destroyed
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Caramels » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Does anyone at Modbury, Houghton, Hope Valley & Athelstone know they are moving into this concoction of an idea.

Both SFL and Hills certainly should have 2 divisions IMO, with promotion and relegation,even if only the GF winner goes up but Hills North only have 4 teams as those mentioned won't leave the SAAFL, it would be a backward step for them with maybe Houghton the only chance to gain any benefit from the move.
Caramels
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Caramels wrote:Does anyone at Modbury, Houghton, Hope Valley & Athelstone know they are moving into this concoction of an idea.

Both SFL and Hills certainly should have 2 divisions IMO, with promotion and relegation,even if only the GF winner goes up but Hills North only have 4 teams as those mentioned won't leave the SAAFL, it would be a backward step for them with maybe Houghton the only chance to gain any benefit from the move.

WTF?

Do tell Caramels
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL