One Division or Two?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Should the SFL remain in one division or two?

One Division
13%
Two Divisions
87%

Total votes : 167

Re: One Division or Two?

Postby Blue Boy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Its good to see The bushpigs maybe making A grade finals this may sway some to leave it alone - maybe
It is what it is !!!
Blue Boy
Veteran

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby The Note Book » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:09 pm

I think its interesting that the AFL has this year experienced a few lop sided games and they are already thinking about making changes to make sure that this doesn't continue in the future.
Yet the SFL has experienced lop sided games for nearly 10 years and doesn't seem to think there is any cause for concern. In fairest, the AFL made the point that every club will experience some time at the 'bottom and top' over a 10 year period, however this could not be said for the SFL.
The SFL has a fantastic opportunity to get the competition right and make sure the lower positioned clubs (which may have been there for some time) a chance to experience some success, be that by having 2 divisions or by helping out in some other means (i.e. financially by cutting sub-fees allowing additional funds to be spent on facilities, players, etc).
I think it will be an interesting time over the next few years and hopefully we will see the SFL sort things out and make the gap between top and bottom smaller. :)
The Note Book

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Straight Line » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 pm

The Note Book wrote:I think its interesting that the AFL has this year experienced a few lop sided games and they are already thinking about making changes to make sure that this doesn't continue in the future.
Yet the SFL has experienced lop sided games for nearly 10 years and doesn't seem to think there is any cause for concern. In fairest, the AFL made the point that every club will experience some time at the 'bottom and top' over a 10 year period, however this could not be said for the SFL.
The SFL has a fantastic opportunity to get the competition right and make sure the lower positioned clubs (which may have been there for some time) a chance to experience some success, be that by having 2 divisions or by helping out in some other means (i.e. financially by cutting sub-fees allowing additional funds to be spent on facilities, players, etc).
I think it will be an interesting time over the next few years and hopefully we will see the SFL sort things out and make the gap between top and bottom smaller. :)

Was just thinking the same thing
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Courtney Fish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:42 am

The Note Book wrote:I think its interesting that the AFL has this year experienced a few lop sided games and they are already thinking about making changes to make sure that this doesn't continue in the future.

May be too late then,I have heard whispers of clubs looking elsewhere. They need to do it next year while there is enough clubs and a few interested in coming back. 2 Divs of 8 or if you get a few more, 10 in Div 1, 8 in Div 2
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby GO THE PUNT » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Here we ****ing go again. Same sh*t new day. It wont change to 2 divs until all teams have all grades. Then you can have a fair 2 div comp. By fair I mean the club that does'nt slip into div 1 that fills all grades wont suffer by having the juniors playing away from the seniors every second or so week. The sfl isn't the only league that has very one sided scores. Check the results from the hills country div from the weekend.
GO THE PUNT
Rookie

Postby The Note Book » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:13 pm

GO THE PUNT wrote:Here we ****ing go again. Same sh*t new day. It wont change to 2 divs until all teams have all grades. Then you can have a fair 2 div comp. By fair I mean the club that does'nt slip into div 1 that fills all grades wont suffer by having the juniors playing away from the seniors every second or so week. The sfl isn't the only league that has very one sided scores. Check the results from the hills country div from the weekend.

There might be some big scores in the country div but that is the 2nd division within the hills comp and from my understanding the central division (div 1) still have 6 or 7 teams out of 10 that can still make the finals with the last week to go. In turn a very even division one comp which is a great representative of the hills competition. The team which came up from all accounts have pushed a fair few teams in the 1st division, which shows the 2 division system works. Whilst there is some fantastic teams & games in the SFL and spots in the finals are still up for grabs, outsiders preception unfortunately miss these great points and go straight to the 'big scores' as a representation of the SFL and i would love this to change. I agree with your point about all grades within the 1st division having junior sides, but again from my understanding the hills comp takes all grades scores into consideration, in turn if a side does not field junior sides they would struggle to get the points needed to go up into the 1st division. Anyway a bit of food for thought...
The Note Book

Postby vics01 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:57 am

NOTE BOOK
There might be some big scores in the country div but that is the 2nd division within the hills comp and from my understanding the central division (div 1) still have 6 or 7 teams out of 10 that can still make the finals with the last week to go. In turn a very even division one comp which is a great representative of the hills competition. The team which came up from all accounts have pushed a fair few teams in the 1st division, which shows the 2 division system works. Whilst there is some fantastic teams & games in the SFL and spots in the finals are still up for grabs, outsiders preception unfortunately miss these great points and go straight to the 'big scores' as a representation of the SFL and i would love this to change. I agree with your point about all grades within the 1st division having junior sides, but again from my understanding the hills comp takes all grades scores into consideration, in turn if a side does not field junior sides they would struggle to get the points needed to go up into the 1st division. Anyway a bit of food for thought...

The only reason spots are still up for grabs is the rigged draw and extra player points the SFL use and allow in an attempt to show they have an even comp.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby tigerpie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:58 pm

have to admit the draw is definetly compromised and this points system baffles me. if anyone can enlighten me on how it works i'd appreciate it?
maybe the sfl hasnt got the resources to administer 2 divisions, like... too hard basket, that would be my guess.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby lion heart » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Courtney Fish wrote:May be too late then,I have heard whispers of clubs looking elsewhere. They need to do it next year while there is enough clubs and a few interested in coming back. 2 Divs of 8 or if you get a few more, 10 in Div 1, 8 in Div 2

Have heard the same - the SFL will lose at least 1 club to the amatuers if they dont make the decision for 2 divs.

GO THE PUNT wrote:Here we ****ing go again. Same sh*t new day. It wont change to 2 divs

From what i am hearing 2 divisions is a massive chance of happening - a few of the leagues powerhouse clubs are now right behind it.

vics01 wrote:The only reason spots are still up for grabs is the rigged draw and extra player points the SFL use and allow in an attempt to show they have an even comp.

That is true but im not sure what else they can do - I can speak on behalf of the bottom clubs and say if the draw wasnt rigged some clubs may not see out the season in 1 division. Imagine one of the bottom 5 teams had to play Reynella, Brighton, Morphett Vale & Noarlunga all twice?? Having said that it would be a bitter pill to swallow for Cove to miss the 8, the only answer is 2 divisions.

tigerpie wrote:have to admit the draw is definetly compromised and this points system baffles me. if anyone can enlighten me on how it works i'd appreciate it?maybe the sfl hasnt got the resources to administer 2 divisions, like... too hard basket, that would be my guess.

I think you are 100% correct they forced 1 division and landed us in this mess but the impression i get is that it's too hard for them to rectify the situation even though the majority of clubs are now clearly behind returning to 2 divisions.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Straight Line » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:09 pm

lion heart wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:May be too late then,I have heard whispers of clubs looking elsewhere. They need to do it next year while there is enough clubs and a few interested in coming back. 2 Divs of 8 or if you get a few more, 10 in Div 1, 8 in Div 2

Have heard the same - the SFL will lose at least 1 club to the amatuers if they dont make the decision for 2 divs.

GO THE PUNT wrote:Here we ****ing go again. Same sh*t new day. It wont change to 2 divs

From what i am hearing 2 divisions is a massive chance of happening - a few of the leagues powerhouse clubs are now right behind it.

vics01 wrote:The only reason spots are still up for grabs is the rigged draw and extra player points the SFL use and allow in an attempt to show they have an even comp.

Lose another to hills country but not next year

That is true but im not sure what else they can do - I can speak on behalf of the bottom clubs and say if the draw wasnt rigged some clubs may not see out the season in 1 division. Imagine one of the bottom 5 teams had to play Reynella, Brighton, Morphett Vale & Noarlunga all twice?? Having said that it would be a bitter pill to swallow for Cove to miss the 8, the only answer is 2 divisions.

tigerpie wrote:have to admit the draw is definetly compromised and this points system baffles me. if anyone can enlighten me on how it works i'd appreciate it?maybe the sfl hasnt got the resources to administer 2 divisions, like... too hard basket, that would be my guess.

I think you are 100% correct they forced 1 division and landed us in this mess but the impression i get is that it's too hard for them to rectify the situation even though the majority of clubs are now clearly behind returning to 2 divisions.
Straight Line
Rookie

Postby Straight Line » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Straight Line wrote:
lion heart wrote:

Straight Line
Rookie

Postby Jugs » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:22 pm

For the betterment of the SFL they must break into two Divisions to survive. More players will leave for the amateurs of nearby country leagues if the clubs don't make a stand for next season.
Jugs
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Blues Football Club

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 pm

I'd be VERY suprised if the SAAFL let any more clubs in on the basis that soon as they let 1 in then all who apply should be let in. There are clubs folding already so why let more in?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:30 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I'd be VERY suprised if the SAAFL let any more clubs in on the basis that soon as they let 1 in then all who apply should be let in. There are clubs folding already so why let more in?

More clubs means more money to the league. They haven't rejected any in recent years.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby MatteeG » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:41 am

Seems one club has drawn up a plan for a return to the 2 div structure....

To be debated in the coming months by clubs and committees I'm sure. Personally I think most of their suggestions look sound.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby jjh » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
1983 wrote:problems with Edwardstown being allowed into the league with poor junior setup, etc. etc.

Edwardstown actually have a decent setup. They have under under 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's, 12's, 15's, 16.5's and 18's. It is just that the latter is the only grade not in the South Metro Junior Football League.

IMHO the MSJFL are doing a few things more things right that the SFL with their juniors.

you forgot u/13s
jjh
Mini-League

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:42 pm

MatteeG wrote:Seems one club has drawn up a plan for a return to the 2 div structure....

To be debated in the coming months by clubs and committees I'm sure. Personally I think most of their suggestions look sound.

They talk alot about how the Div1 will be structured but don't seem to care much about Div2. If they don't get both divs right there might not be any clubs to play in div2. Only my opinion, but you must have both Divs run exactly the same. Will always put a few clubs nose's out of joint of who should be in what Div.
Whats everyones opinion on what clubs are in Div1 and who's in Div2.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Courtney Fish » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:35 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:
MatteeG wrote:Seems one club has drawn up a plan for a return to the 2 div structure....

They talk alot about how the Div1 will be structured but don't seem to care much about Div2. If they don't get both divs right there might not be any clubs to play in div2. Only my opinion, but you must have both Divs run exactly the same. Will always put a few clubs nose's out of joint of who should be in what Div.
Whats everyones opinion on what clubs are in Div1 and who's in Div2.

After everyone has played each other once the top 8 or 10 (which ever it may be) in Div 1. Or the top 8 or 10 that have 14's to 18's in Div 1.The rest in div 2.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby vics01 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:43 pm

CF
After everyone has played each other once the top 8 or 10 (which ever it may be) in Div 1. Or the top 8 or 10 that have 14's to 18's in Div 1.The rest in div 2.

Good in theory, however how do you account for M/Park, Hackham, Aldinga and Marion having extra points with which to recruit and field a side each week for season 2012??

How do you decide that M/park go to Div 1 when finishing 10th and the 11th side who does not have the extra player points is Div 2?

I think maybe a period of the last 6 to 8 years should be used to measure where clubs are at.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:40 pm

vics01 wrote:
CF

Good in theory, however how do you account for M/Park, Hackham, Aldinga and Marion having extra points with which to recruit and field a side each week for season 2012??

How do you decide that M/park go to Div 1 when finishing 10th and the 11th side who does not have the extra player points is Div 2?

I think maybe a period of the last 6 to 8 years should be used to measure where clubs are at.

I wonde if you would have the same opinion if cove made the finals this year. Maybe a millimeter of self interest?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL