One Division or Two?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Should the SFL remain in one division or two?

One Division
13%
Two Divisions
87%

Total votes : 167

One Division or Two?

Postby RedArmy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 pm

guess its the easiest way to see what people think
RedArmy
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: One Division or Two?

Postby watcher » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 am

I would urge all people on the web to vote as, if the numbers are high, it might carry some weight with the SFL in at least increasing discussion on the subject.
watcher
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby ol man emu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:42 am

Do it for the kids.
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby AFLflyer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:16 am

how many voters can we get? lets settle this ongoing debate once and for all!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby White Line Fever » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:08 am

Spread the word.

If you are long time reader this is your chance for first time poster.
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby The Panther » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:12 pm

Interesting start to the poll 36 - 6 in favour of 2 divs. The politicians would like to have numbers like that.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Swooper16 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:39 pm

All well and good making it a simple question of 1 or 2 divs. But how many Marion / Noarlunga / Christies / Flaggies posters would be in favour of 2 divs if they were told they MUST start off in div 2...?
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Swooper16 wrote:All well and good making it a simple question of 1 or 2 divs. But how many Marion / Noarlunga / Christies / Flaggies posters would be in favour of 2 divs if they were told they MUST start off in div 2...?

Easy fixed. League states that anyclub that finishes outside the top 8 this year is in div2 next year. Each club has this season to prove they are worthy of being a div1 club.

How may of the top 6 / 7 sides are sick of having to play 5 - 8 meaningless games against the cellar dwellers each year.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Swooper16 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
Swooper16 wrote:All well and good making it a simple question of 1 or 2 divs. But how many Marion / Noarlunga / Christies / Flaggies posters would be in favour of 2 divs if they were told they MUST start off in div 2...?

Easy fixed. League states that anyclub that finishes outside the top 8 this year is in div2 next year. Each club has this season to prove they are worthy of being a div1 club.

How may of the top 6 / 7 sides are sick of having to play 5 - 8 meaningless games against the cellar dwellers each year.

I agree. But i think the voting might not be so lopsided if a couple of teams were not to be playing div 1 straight off the bat.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby AFLflyer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:07 pm

50 voters!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby Snaparazzi » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:

Not so fast EV, reserves and junior participation will also need to be a consideration, like Shoe Boy said, Noarlunga "overall" are definately a top 5 club.
Snaparazzi
Rookie

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:44 pm

Snaparazzi wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:

Not so fast EV, reserves and junior participation will also need to be a consideration, like Shoe Boy said, Noarlunga "overall" are definately a top 5 club.

No consideration needed. When your A grade is ready, your club is ready.

No league in Australia considers anything but the A-grade in promotion / relegating between divisions. Not in SAAFL, not in Hills, not any other state or any other sport for that matter.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby BestHumanEver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:39 pm

What would everyone but the people in charge know anyway.
BestHumanEver

Postby spot on » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:57 pm

No league in Australia considers anything but the A-grade in promotion / relegating between divisions. Not in SAAFL, not in Hills, not any other state or any other sport for that matter.[/quote]
Unless things have changed in recent times, that statement is not true, I recall a number of years back in the Hills league Ironbank was relegated from Div 1 to Div 2 because they did not have the required number of junior teams, plus other things including poor facilities. They worked hard on that and of course are now back in Div 1 (or Central as it is called) Just a point of interest as I am fully in favour of 2 Divisions.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:53 pm

spot on wrote:Unless things have changed in recent times, that statement is not true, I recall a number of years back in the Hills league Ironbank was relegated from Div 1 to Div 2 because they did not have the required number of junior teams, plus other things including poor facilities. They worked hard on that and of course are now back in Div 1 (or Central as it is called) Just a point of interest as I am fully in favour of 2 Divisions.

Well, that is not actually repudiating my statement if it was due to multiple reasons.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby Running the Rod » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:14 pm

I posted the below regarding this subject last year. If the game is to improve down south, I still beleive something along these lines must be introduced. Otherwise our great game will begin suffer with more and more clubs folding and merging. Therefore, the SFL and GSFL hierachy should get off their collective backsides, listen to what the majority of people want, instead of the minority of tunnel-visioned personnel who are supposedly running these two competitions.
I used to play for Goodie Saints and can honestly say the competition in the SFL would be about a level below Div 1 in SAAFL for the top sides and the lower ranked clubs a division or 2 lower than that.
I really believe the only way to improve our competition down south is to implement this type of division system into our comp. That way the games will be relatively competitive from year to year. I realise that will stuff the junior comp around but they have their own comps anyway where clubs are unable to field sides in certain grades. Like this year where clubs are playing on Saturdays have their teams playing in three different locations at times.
Maybe the answer is to include all SFL and GSFL sides and form 2 or 3 divisions and include the C grade comp to play maybe in Div 3 against the lower A or B grade sides....
The divisions could be decided from year to year as follows.
If the sides at the bottom of the table from each comp form a competition and the top sides do the same and at the end of each season the bottom 2 in Div 1 are relagated to Div 2 and the top 2 sides are promoted to Div 1. This may keep our game alive instead of reducing the interest in clubs that are struggling.
Only a thought....
Running the Rod
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Bag The Points » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:33 pm

Running the Rod wrote:I posted the below regarding this subject last year. If the game is to improve down south, I still beleive something along these lines must be introduced. Otherwise our great game will begin suffer with more and more clubs folding and merging. Therefore, the SFL and GSFL hierachy should get off their collective backsides, listen to what the majority of people want, instead of the minority of tunnel-visioned personnel who are supposedly running these two competitions.
I used to play for Goodie Saints and can honestly say the competition in the SFL would be about a level below Div 1 in SAAFL for the top sides and the lower ranked clubs a division or 2 lower than that.
I really believe the only way to improve our competition down south is to implement this type of division system into our comp. That way the games will be relatively competitive from year to year. I realise that will stuff the junior comp around but they have their own comps anyway where clubs are unable to field sides in certain grades. Like this year where clubs are playing on Saturdays have their teams playing in three different locations at times.
Maybe the answer is to include all SFL and GSFL sides and form 2 or 3 divisions and include the C grade comp to play maybe in Div 3 against the lower A or B grade sides....
If the sides at the bottom of the table from each comp form a competition and the top sides do the same and at the end of each season the bottom 2 in Div 1 are relagated to Div 2 and the top 2 sides are promoted to Div 1. This may keep our game alive instead of reducing the interest in clubs that are struggling.
Only a thought....

Could indeed work. There would be some travelling involved but playing against more comparable opposition might be attractive enough to make it a worker.
Can't wear the inclusion of C-Grade sides though. A-Grade units would have the C-Grade stigma (as happened once upon a time in SFL when "Division Two" first started) and sides simply wouldn't be able to keep or attact players. Leave C-grade sides right out of the picture.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:45 am

Bag The Points wrote:
Running the Rod wrote:I posted the below regarding this subject last year. If the game is to improve down south, I still beleive something along these lines must be introduced. Otherwise our great game will begin suffer with more and more clubs folding and merging. Therefore, the SFL and GSFL hierachy should get off their collective backsides, listen to what the majority of people want, instead of the minority of tunnel-visioned personnel who are supposedly running these two competitions.
Only a thought....

Could indeed work. There would be some travelling involved but playing against more comparable opposition might be attractive enough to make it a worker.
Can't wear the inclusion of C-Grade sides though. A-Grade units would have the C-Grade stigma (as happened once upon a time in SFL when "Division Two" first started) and sides simply wouldn't be able to keep or attact players. Leave C-grade sides right out of the picture.

The clubs in the GSFL seem pretty happy with their league, even with Willunga dominating for over half a decade. So I can't see them wanting to change in the near future.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby 1983 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:

and how many of us cellar dwellers are sick of being smashed by 40 goals by the powerhouse teams? Yeah we'd love to beat you guys again but we're so far off at the moment and being thrashed for most of the season doesn't help us cellar dwellers one bit. I've heard the arguement that if it went two divisions teams like Aldinga would leave the league, if we haven't already left after being belted for the last few years I think its fairly safe to say we're not going to leave if it goes two divisions!
Also it was pretty good times for us back in the div II days! Come on SFL, almost everyone wants it, you are our elected officials why will you not change it?
Sharks patrol these waters

Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby ddonkey » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:22 am

1983 wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:

and how many of us cellar dwellers are sick of being smashed by 40 goals by the powerhouse teams? Yeah we'd love to beat you guys again but we're so far off at the moment and being thrashed for most of the season doesn't help us cellar dwellers one bit. I've heard the arguement that if it went two divisions teams like Aldinga would leave the league, if we haven't already left after being belted for the last few years I think its fairly safe to say we're not going to leave if it goes two divisions!
Also it was pretty good times for us back in the div II days! Come on SFL, almost everyone wants it, you are our elected officials why will you not change it?

Craig Warman..........are you paying attention to this?????????
ddonkey

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL