One Division or Two?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Should the SFL remain in one division or two?

One Division
13%
Two Divisions
87%

Total votes : 167

Re: One Division or Two?

Postby lion heart » Tue May 15, 2012 12:49 am

leftpeg wrote:This is gettin beyond boring!!! all these posts about the two division topic.. and i don't see any suggestions on how this will actually work!!
It is clear that majority of people are in favour of two divisions, so there is NOOOO need to continue to post on hear every week complaining after there are 10 goal plus margins in the results!
The biggest problem is what structure the 2 division will take.. can I suggest that you do not post on here unless discussing potential structures of 2 divisions... Lets get heaps of different structures out there so that any potential SFL sub-committee can look at the pros & cons of each.. this may actually get us somewhere rather than continually complaining: "hurry up SFL we need two divisions"

so heres a potential system for 2013

Div 1
Brighton
Morphett Vale
Noarlunga
Happy Valley
Flagstaff Hill
Reynella
Cove
Port Noarlunga

*All Div 1 clubs will have 5 saturday sides..*
All clubs play each other 3 times over 21 rounds
Top 4 play Finals
First week of Finals:
1 v 2 for GF spot
3 v 4 Elimination
Second week of Finals
Loser 1v2 Vs Winner 3v4 for GF Spot
Third week of Finals:Grand Final

so Div 1 will have 21 weeks of Minor Rnds + 3 weeks of Finals (this matches the old 20 weeks of Minor Rnd + 4 weeks of Finals)

Div 2
Hackham
Christies Beach
Edwardstown
Aldinga
OSB/Lonsdale
Morphettville Park
Marion

All clubs have A & B grade sides
clubs play each other 3 times over 18 rounds
top 4 finals system which is identical to div 1
so Div 2 will have 18 weeks of Minor Rnd + 3 weeks of Finals

Any Div 2 clubs U14s & U16s too play in Sunday Comps along with any Div 1 Clubs U14&U16 2nd sides

Potential Div 2 U18 Saturday Comp involving:
Edwardstown
Hackham
Aldinga
Christies Beach
(all above clubs have U18 side in 2012 comp)
plus the addition of potential U18 sides from Marion, OSB Lonsdale & Morphy Parks all who have U16s sides competing in 2012 so hopefully can retain players moving from U16s to U18s in 2013

I know its not perfect but its a start!

Maybe you need to read back a few pages then leftpeg because structures have been put forward....in fact your's is identical to mine so i think i like you. =D>
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby lion heart » Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 am

lion heart wrote:What do people think of this?

Div 1

Reynella
Brighton
Morphett Vale
Cove
Valley
Noarlunga
PT Noarlunga
Flagstaff

Good competitive games every week and ALL clubs have a full set of juniors and would save all the whinging re programming (all teams could play at the same oval).

Div 2

Edwardstown - Could be div 1 if they decide to bring 14/16's to Southern league
Christies
OSB/Lonsdale
Morphettville Pk
Marion
Aldinga
Hackham
Kangies - would return to a 2 div SFL

Good competitive games most weeks but more importantly no embarassing 50 goal losses. Junior comp wouldnt feature all clubs in all grades but being a more competitive comp would give all clubs a good chance to rebuild their juniors. Most importantly all clubs in both divisions would feel they are only a few years away from a premiership - which is what we all play for.

The league could look at expanding also former SFL teams like Mitchell pk or Meadows could be interested in a return.Kenilworth, Glenunga and Colonal Light Gdns have shown interest in the past. Another longshot could include Plympton?

here is one i prepared earlier.....
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby Waterboy » Tue May 15, 2012 12:59 am

leftpeg wrote:This is gettin beyond boring!!! all these posts about the two division topic.. and i don't see any suggestions on how this will actually work!!
It is clear that majority of people are in favour of two divisions, so there is NOOOO need to continue post on hear every week complaining after there are 10 goal plus margins in the results!
The biggest problem is what structure the 2 division will take.. can I suggest that you do not post on here unless discussing potential structures of 2 divisions... Lets get heaps of different structures out there so that any potential SFL sub-committee can look at the pros & cons of each.. this may actually get us somewhere rather than continually complaining
"hurry up SFL we need two divisions"

Div 1
Brighton
Morphett Vale
Noarlunga
Happy Valley
Flagstaff Hill
Reynella
Cove
Port Noarlunga

Top 4 play Finals
First week of Finals:
1 v 2 for GF spot
3 v 4 Elimination
Second week of Finals
so Div 1 has 21 weeks of Minor Rnd + 3 weeks of Finals (this matches the old 20 weeks of Minor Rnd + 4 weeks of Finals)

Div 2
Hackham
Christies Beach
Edwardstown
Aldinga
OSB/Lonsdale
Morphettville Park
Marion

so Div 2 has 18 weeks of Minor Rnd + 3 weeks of Finals

Any Div 2 clubs U14s & U16s too play in Sunday Comps along with any Div 1 Clubs U14&U16 2nd sides

Edwardstown
Hackham
Aldinga
Christies Beach
plus the addition of potential U18 sides from Marion, OSB Lonsdale & Morphy Parks all who have U16s sides competing in 2012 so hopefully can retain players moving from U16s to U18s in 2013

Couple of points I'll disagree with hoping to start some discussions

Firstly we play a long season as it is, with this year four clubs starting before Easter and then having the Easter break before their second round. A shorter final series would allow us to start later and still have the traditional 18 game season. Other side of this is that each club doesn't play each other 3 times so do we have a seeded draw still or just random games to make up to the 18 rounds?

Never been in favour of having to have 5 teams to be in div 1. Port Noarlunga dropping their 18s was a surprise to a lot of people, would that mean they'd be automatically relegated to div 2? Would that mean the club that had been relegated would be promoted again, in March or April or whenever it was that the 18s side was pulled?

Playing the div 2 14s and 16s on Sunday would leave a number of those clubs with just 2 games in Saturday. 5 games on Saturday for div 1 and 2 or 3 for div 2 makes div 2 a harsh proposition. Then again with the exception of Christies the rest of those clubs have had gaps in their juniors for any number of years lately so maybe it's nothing new.

Obvious answers are a few more clubs, particularly ones with full sets of juniors, coming into the mix to make a viable junior competition in division 2, but can't be relied on. Also clubs like Lonsdale and Morphy Parks continuing to grow their juniors helps.
Waterboy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby leftpeg » Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 am

lion heart wrote:
It is clear that majority of people are in favour of two divisions, so there is NOOOO need to continue to post on hear every week complaining after there are 10 goal plus margins in the results!
The biggest problem is what structure the 2 division will take.. can I suggest that you do not post on here unless discussing potential structures of 2 divisions... Lets get heaps of different structures out there so that any potential SFL sub-committee can look at the pros & cons of each.. this may actually get us somewhere rather than continually complaining: "hurry up SFL we need two divisions"

Div 1
Brighton
Morphett Vale
Noarlunga
Happy Valley
Flagstaff Hill
Reynella
Cove
Port Noarlunga

Top 4 play Finals
First week of Finals:
1 v 2 for GF spot
3 v 4 Elimination
Second week of Finals

so Div 1 will have 21 weeks of Minor Rnds + 3 weeks of Finals (this matches the old 20 weeks of Minor Rnd + 4 weeks of Finals)

Div 2
Hackham
Christies Beach
Edwardstown
Aldinga
OSB/Lonsdale
Morphettville Park
Marion

so Div 2 will have 18 weeks of Minor Rnd + 3 weeks of Finals

Edwardstown
Hackham
Aldinga
Christies Beach

Maybe you need to read back a few pages then leftpeg because structures have been put forward....in fact your's is identical to mine so i think i like you. =D>

You know what they say.. great minds think alike!
Just looked back pages then.. you posted your idea more than a year ago! I dont read that far back mate :D
I was referring to the large amounts of recent posts in both this Thread & SFL thread that are just complaints rather than coming up with solutions..
leftpeg

Been liked: 5 times

Postby lion heart » Tue May 15, 2012 7:43 am

Waterboy wrote:

Firstly we play a long season as it is, with this year four clubs starting before Easter and then having the Easter break before their second round. A shorter final series would allow us to start later and still have the traditional 18 game season. Other side of this is that each club doesn't play each other 3 times so do we have a seeded draw still or just random games to make up to the 18 rounds?

Never been in favour of having to have 5 teams to be in div 1. Port Noarlunga dropping their 18s was a surprise to a lot of people, would that mean they'd be automatically relegated to div 2? Would that mean the club that had been relegated would be promoted again, in March or April or whenever it was that the 18s side was pulled?

Playing the div 2 14s and 16s on Sunday would leave a number of those clubs with just 2 games in Saturday. 5 games on Saturday for div 1 and 2 or 3 for div 2 makes div 2 a harsh proposition. Then again with the exception of Christies the rest of those clubs have had gaps in their juniors for any number of years lately so maybe it's nothing new.

Obvious answers are a few more clubs, particularly ones with full sets of juniors, coming into the mix to make a viable junior competition in division 2, but can't be relied on. Also clubs like Lonsdale and Morphy Parks continuing to grow their juniors helps.

Would agree with all those points but none of them should prove to be road blocks preventing 2 divs. There is no doubting there will some issues that need to be worked through and there are many issues with the current setup.

One major point that is being lost by the SFL is that while juniors are extremely important the A grade is the most important and what clubs are judged on. The league should be structured with this in mind instead of excuses about the div 2 junior setup. I do not see any major problems with it that we are not already dealing with. In fact i would be willing to bet my balls that the junior programs of the div 2 clubs will flourish in a less harsh environment.
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby MatteeG » Tue May 15, 2012 7:45 am

Some pretty good suggestions here.

I have to re-iterate we will need at least one more club to make this work. I played in the final year of the divvy 2 system and it was SHITE having a 6 team comp. Need at least 8 in each div.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby BIG RED CAT » Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 am

What are clubs thoughts,reasons for not wanting to join the SAAFl?I think for clubs like Morphy Parks ,Marion it would be a good move,playing in a div with a realistic chance of success would be appealing.No matter what div your in its a bit easier to recruit when your winning.
BIG RED CAT
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Waterboy » Tue May 15, 2012 9:03 am

lion heart wrote:
Waterboy wrote:

Would agree with all those points but none of them should prove to be road blocks preventing 2 divs. There is no doubting there will some issues that need to be worked through and there are many issues with the current setup.

One major point that is being lost by the SFL is that while juniors are extremely important the A grade is the most important and what clubs are judged on. The league should be structured with this in mind instead of excuses about the div 2 junior setup. I do not see any major problems with it that we are not already dealing with. In fact i would be willing to bet my balls that the junior programs of the div 2 clubs will flourish in a less harsh environment.

Not road blocks, maybe small detours with some serious discussions to be had.

You would expect the div 2 juniors to improve in a more even competition, as long as it's the same setup as currently with juniors played on Saturday. A Sunday junior competition against the div 1 second clubs would be far from ideal. Until the number of 18s teams improve it might need to be a merged div 1/div 2 competition which would mean not always 5 games at the one venue for div 1 clubs.
Waterboy
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby lion heart » Tue May 15, 2012 10:27 am

Waterboy wrote:
lion heart wrote:
Waterboy wrote:

You would expect the div 2 juniors to improve in a more even competition, as long as it's the same setup as currently with juniors played on Saturday. A Sunday junior competition against the div 1 second clubs would be far from ideal. Until the number of 18s teams improve it might need to be a merged div 1/div 2 competition which would mean not always 5 games at the one venue for div 1 clubs.

Agreed.
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby afc9798 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:38 am

I may be naive regarding the set up of the CFB, but I ask the question, where are they in all of this. If we need an overarching body such as the CFB, then surely they should be stepping in to assist the competition to get stronger and helping with any restructure that is required.

It is in the interest of all that every competition is as strong as possible and the SFL is on a slippery slope at the moment, which was again demonstrated by the weekends results. As far as I can see, other than a few fluffy brochures and another layer of administration, the CFB actually contributes very little and could demonstrate their value by at the very least, facilitating these discussions about 2 divisions. There are some smart and good people on the CFB, but they are basically sitting idle and adding nothing currently.

I'm aware that sometimes these organisations do a great deal in the background, but in this case I've heard too many people say how little they contribute. Here's their chance to add some value.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby tigerpie » Tue May 15, 2012 11:35 am

afc9798 wrote:I may be naive regarding the set up of the CFB, but I ask the question, where are they in all of this. If we need an overarching body such as the CFB, then surely they should be stepping in to assist the competition to get stronger and helping with any restructure that is required.

It is in the interest of all that every competition is as strong as possible and the SFL is on a slippery slope at the moment, which was again demonstrated by the weekends results. As far as I can see, other than a few fluffy brochures and another layer of administration, the CFB actually contributes very little and could demonstrate their value by at the very least, facilitating these discussions about 2 divisions. There are some smart and good people on the CFB, but they are basically sitting idle and adding nothing currently.

I'm aware that sometimes these organisations do a great deal in the background, but in this case I've heard too many people say how little they contribute. Here's their chance to add some value.

Good post!!
We all know 2 divisions are needed.
If some clubs refuse to be present at meetings or send a delegate then the cfb should step in and act as chair, if clubs dont turn up then they get put where they are put and dont whinge!
Its about time the so called community football board stepped up, even if it is just to say, hey we are helping with discussions at present and/or give us some info on what the current state of play is.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue May 15, 2012 2:54 pm

afc9798 wrote:I may be naive regarding the set up of the CFB, but I ask the question, where are they in all of this. If we need an overarching body such as the CFB, then surely they should be stepping in to assist the competition to get stronger and helping with any restructure that is required.

CFL is only there to tell us which guernseys to buy and run the State Country Championships which is apparently the greatest event ever created yet meaningless to the majority.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby afc9798 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

CFL is only there to tell us which guernseys to buy and run the State Country Championships which is apparently the greatest event ever created yet meaningless to the majority.

Awesome. It would be confusing without them then, just as well we have to start getting their logos on our guernseys or we would forget their contribution. :roll:
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Courtney Fish » Tue May 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Waterboy wrote:
lion heart wrote:
Waterboy wrote:

Maybe it would be a better idea to have all the Under 18's in the one comp until the number of teams increase. They often play at different grounds to the rest of the club as it is.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby story of my life » Wed May 16, 2012 8:38 am

Vulcan wrote:Just looking at the poll... I would really like to know who the 18 people are that think we shouldn't split the divisions?
They surely can't be serious!!

Sorry mate, on the phone too the boss and Hit the wrong button :roll:
story of my life
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby 1983 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:04 pm

Another round of Div I taking on Div II on the weekend. This is a bit of a PISS TAKE but it would be interesting to see clubs who finish 9 - 12 hold an unofficial "finals series" in September to see who this year's "division 2 premier" is. Not that the SFL would approve of this but a club could always host it as "friendly trial match competition"
Sharks patrol these waters

Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby Broken Down Hack » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:56 pm

Here's a bit off history for you people, In the early 80's the SFL met with the former Glenelg/South League regarding a merger off leagues, It would have consisted off 3 DIVISIONS of 10 teams and the 4th DIVISION OF 8 teams 38 clubs involved.....what stopped it......junior football SFL wanted sat G/S wanted sun because off college/schools football......back then they couldn't agree so what hope do we have now???????...Also Blackwood wanted to join the SFL in 1994....they had 4 senior sides 3 junior ....voted out by club delegates..... and one DIRECTOR,the next year they voted Mitchell Park in with 3 sides 2 junior, then the clubs voted Brighton juniors in only in 95, when Marion, Morphy Pk,Mitchell Pk were struggling for juniors.....Brighton Seniors came in 98.... work that out, maybe if club looked to the future rather than their own back yards all the time we may not be in the mess we're in TODAY. :shock:
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby onlooker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 am

I saw some of the Cove v OSB Lonsdale B grade game on the weekend, geez it was a hammering - i didnt see the end of the game but was not suprised to see the results saying Lonsdale didnt put a score on the board...

If all these teams leave as people are saying will any teams come into the league? team names like Kenilworth and Mitchell Park always get thrown around about coming in..
onlooker
Mini-League

Postby vics01 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:05 am

BDH
Here's a bit off history for you people, In the early 80's the SFL met with the former Glenelg/South League regarding a merger off leagues, It would have consisted off 3 DIVISIONS of 10 teams and the 4th DIVISION OF 8 teams 38 clubs involved.....
what stopped it......junior football SFL wanted sat G/S wanted sun because off college/schools football
......back then they couldn't agree so what hope do we have now???????...Also Blackwood wanted to join the SFL in 1994....they had 4 senior sides 3 junior ....voted out by club delegates..... and one DIRECTOR,the next year they voted Mitchell Park in with 3 sides 2 junior, then the clubs voted Brighton juniors in only in 95, when Marion, Morphy Pk,Mitchell Pk were struggling for juniors.....Brighton Seniors came in 98.... work that out, maybe if club looked to the future rather than their own back yards all the time we may not be in the mess we're in TODAY.

Maybe it is time for the SANFL and other leagues to stand up to schools and have school football played during school time and kids developed where they should be developed AT CLUB LEVEL on weekends. The SFL has fantastic junior set up a whole club together and a great atmosphere on a Saturday when all teams are in action at a venue. Fact school impacts on club numbers, aside from the fabled A grade school team the rest is well below par not useful in developing kids in anyway.

Also from great days of the 80's & 90's a lot has changed 7 day a week trading, soccer and other sports have advanced. To many clubs and not enough kids to go around any more, subsequently not enough seniors to go around. which is what we are seeing now.

BDH you seem to have a beef with the SFL Junior program???? If so what????

ONLOOKER
OSB reserves only had 12 seniors players they were filled up with 16's who had a crack but were a bit light on.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Broken Down Hack wrote:Here's a bit off history for you people, In the early 80's the SFL met with the former Glenelg/South League regarding a merger off leagues, It would have consisted off 3 DIVISIONS of 10 teams and the 4th DIVISION OF 8 teams 38 clubs involved.....what stopped it......junior football SFL wanted sat G/S wanted sun because off college/schools football......back then they couldn't agree so what hope do we have now???????...Also Blackwood wanted to join the SFL in 1994....they had 4 senior sides 3 junior ....voted out by club delegates..... and one DIRECTOR,the next year they voted Mitchell Park in with 3 sides 2 junior, then the clubs voted Brighton juniors in only in 95, when Marion, Morphy Pk,Mitchell Pk were struggling for juniors.....Brighton Seniors came in 98.... work that out, maybe if club looked to the future rather than their own back yards all the time we may not be in the mess we're in TODAY. :shock:

The other major factor was gate charges, the GSAFL clubs refused to join unless the existing clubs stopped charging at the gate, the existing clubs were not willing to give up this revenue.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL