JUNIOR FOOTBALL

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: JUNIOR FOOTBALL

Postby MZ » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Thankyou Mister Footy for the constructive input as requested. :roll:
MZ
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Mister Footy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 pm

MZ wrote:Thankyou Mister Footy for the constructive input as requested. :roll:

I would suggest if you ever have 3 teams in the same age group again you look at the development of your kids rather than what is best for the competition. The weaker players actually gain confidence and motivation from playing with stronger players

sorry was this not constructive enough?
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby MZ » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Mister Footy - Re-reading your previous posts you seem adamant that Brighton have done the wrong thing setting up an A grade and B grade Sunday side. Fair enough, that is your opinion and I do understand your argument.

But - Imagine if Brighton did equalise its Sunday sides this year. It would have given no other club a chance of appearing in a Grand Final. At least MVP have a chance of playing in it this year. If Brighton wanted a Brighton v Brighton GF (as you seem sure they do) then why wouldn't they have equalised?

What you don't seem to acknowledge or understand is that if Brightons two Sunday sides were equalised they would be dominant sitting 1 and 2 on the ladder having not lost a game to another club all year. That, I believe, is worse than the current situation.

Happy Valley Yellow played the Brighton Sunday sides 5 times this year. At least they had weaker opposition on 2 of those occasions instead of getting smashed 5 times.

And thanks for caring but you don't worry about the development of junior players at Brighton. They are coming along very nicely. If properly instructed and coached you can still learn a great deal even when you are winning or losing by big margins.
MZ
Mini-League

Postby vics01 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:23 am

MZ
And thanks for caring but you don't worry about the development of junior players at Brighton. They are coming along very nicely. If properly instructed and coached you can still learn a great deal even when you are winning or losing by big margins.

After watching them this year they are learning very bad habits, such as running forward of the footy a lot of the time, no defensive lesson there.

I suppose though that SHOC will fix that up when the boys all swap back to their college roots.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Rush a Point » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:33 pm

vics01 wrote:
MZ

After watching them this year they are learning very bad habits, such as running forward of the footy a lot of the time, no defensive lesson there.

I suppose though that SHOC will fix that up when the boys all swap back to their college roots.

I have read with interest the posts this week about Brighton and their U14 and U16 Sunday sides. It doesn't matter what what posters like DTH say, the big problem for Brighton is keeping juniors for U18 and beyond. Their track record in this area is poor. Their U18 captain from 2010 is now playing at Brighton. We have Brighton people sprouting about how good it is to have players in the Sunday sides, but what is the point if when they reach seniors they go and play for SHOC. At least clubs like Flagstaff Hill and Cove keep their U18's have them flow through to seniors.
Rush a Point

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Rush a Point » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Rush a Point wrote:
vics01 wrote:
MZ

I have read with interest the posts this week about Brighton and their U14 and U16 Sunday sides. It doesn't matter what what posters like DTH say, the big problem for Brighton is keeping juniors for U18 and beyond. Their track record in this area is poor. Their U18 captain from 2010 is now playing at Brighton. We have Brighton people sprouting about how good it is to have players in the Sunday sides, but what is the point if when they reach seniors they go and play for SHOC. At least clubs like Flagstaff Hill and Cove keep their U18's have them flow through to seniors.

Sorry I meant to say that their U18 Captain from last year is playing at Marion.
Rush a Point

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:45 pm

The SFL website has both Sunday under 14 and 16s playing this Saturday. Surely a typo?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Dazza44 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:The SFL website has both Sunday under 14 and 16s playing this Saturday. Surely a typo?

Haha .. I can't believe there hasn't been more comment about this !!

Yep, it's true - same as last year I believe.

I've always been mystified about why the SFL play around with the starting times of the Sunday comps so much in finals. For a start it IS a SUNDAY comp. It's bad enough that the starting times change from 1pm to 8:15 am for some sides in the semis, but then to move the Grand Finals to SATURDAY ! Beggars belief, doesn't it ???

I guess the only positive is that the clubs with other Sat matches can get to the C Grade Grand Final - and the C Grade get to have a celebratory night without taking the Monday off :)
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:48 am

Down the Hill & MZ - can you confirm a rumour I heard in last few days - have you sacked your U14 Saturday coach after his poor behaviour and complaints from parents?
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:19 pm

No idea where you got that from MF although I know you take a great interest in the Brighton junior set-up. Under 14's had a good training run last night and players and coach are looking forward to the challenge of playing Cove this Saturday morning. All coaching positions below A grade are declared vacant at the end of each season and current coaches and interested coaches are invited to express their interest in coaching the following season and what grade(s). If we get more than one suitable applicant for a given team, we then undertake a selection process. Pretty simple and transparent process.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Down the Hill wrote:No idea where you got that from MF although I know you take a great interest in the Brighton junior set-up. Under 14's had a good training run last night and players and coach are looking forward to the challenge of playing Cove this Saturday morning. All coaching positions below A grade are declared vacant at the end of each season and current coaches and interested coaches are invited to express their interest in coaching the following season and what grade(s). If we get more than one suitable applicant for a given team, we then undertake a selection process. Pretty simple and transparent process.

Thanks for clearing that up - rumour has certainly been talked about at Valleys - as I am sure you are aware he is a former Valley coach and some love him and some hate him here - good luck to them against Cove - I am sure our 14s would love to play them in a prelim final
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Which are you MF - lover or hater?

Junior coaching can be a tough gig. One has to deal with players and parents which these days can extend also to step-parents which only goes to increasing the people that watch your every move. Some coaches don't mind having parents in the rooms before the game whilst others prefer they not be there and that can put parents off-side. Then you have the parents who think their kid is the next Chris Judd.

Some coaches have the talent that makes winning fairly easy but with that often goes the excess numbers which means not every kid gets to play finals or grand finals. So whether you are successful or not you will not please everyone. So I admire anyone (and most do it for no reward) who is prepared to coach junior footy especially when you get to Under 14 and start playing for premiership points.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Which are you MF - lover or hater?

Junior coaching can be a tough gig. One has to deal with players and parents which these days can extend also to step-parents which only goes to increasing the people that watch your every move. Some coaches don't mind having parents in the rooms before the game whilst others prefer they not be there and that can put parents off-side. Then you have the parents who think their kid is the next Chris Judd.

Some coaches have the talent that makes winning fairly easy but with that often goes the excess numbers which means not every kid gets to play finals or grand finals. So whether you are successful or not you will not please everyone. So I admire anyone (and most do it for no reward) who is prepared to coach junior footy especially when you get to Under 14 and start playing for premiership points.

Yeah not a huge fan - think his ego is pretty healthy but my main gripe was the 45 minutes he would spend on the microphone at pressos on a Saturday night at the club - restricted bar available normally then in essence he was restricting my beer intake...

Agree coaching juniors is a tough gig and anyone that will get to an oval at 7am on a Saturday morning when you dont always have a lad playing in the team does deserve some recognition though
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Postby jet-airport » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:25 am

WELL DONE to happy valley 14's last sunday. All happy valley faithful get down to hickinbotham at 8am this satdee and support the boys
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 pm

jet-airport wrote:WELL DONE to happy valley 14's last sunday. All happy valley faithful get down to hickinbotham at 8am this satdee and support the boys

Good on ya Jet - would be great to see a crowd supporting these lads

Bit of a shock with the U16s but just goes to show that doesnt matter how good you have been during the season you have to bring that form into finals. Great to see their coach get these lads to a prelim though
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Postby Mister Footy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Another premiership for valley 14s well done Adam and lads
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Postby Mister Footy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 am

Can anyone confirm the rumour that Brighton have sacked their Saturday Under 14 coach from last year?
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Postby Blue Baggers » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Are you sick and tired of not getting a game at your current club ..... Then here's an open invite for ALL eligible players for Under 18's to Join the Port Noarlunga Football Club.
Training is on Monday & Wednesday Nights @6pm to 7pm (will change to Tuesday & Thursday after cricket season)
Coaching info is at http://www.pnfc.org.au
Ask For Jason.
Blue Baggers
Mini-League

Postby as you wood » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:07 pm

We at Edwardstown are excited to inform players that the 2012 season is about to commence.
Pre-season training will begin at 4.30pm Monday 6th of Feb, at Edwardstown Football Club and finishing about 6.00pm. PLEASE NOTE SANDSHOES ONLY TO BE WORN !!!!!

After training on Monday night training programs will be handed out.
So parents please come along after training and meet the Coach and Senior Coaches.

PS
If you know any of your Mates that or didnt get a great deal of time on the field Last season and would like to play in U16's football on Saturdays, tell them to come along and enjoy the new Team

Contact Club for details
as you wood
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Blues Football Club

Postby canyouseewhatisee » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:20 pm

as you wood wrote:We at Edwardstown are excited to inform players that the 2012 season is about to commence.
Pre-season training will begin at 4.30pm Monday 6th of Feb, at Edwardstown Football Club and finishing about 6.00pm. PLEASE NOTE SANDSHOES ONLY TO BE WORN !!!!!

After training on Monday night training programs will be handed out.
So parents please come along after training and meet the Coach and Senior Coaches.

PS
If you know any of your Mates that or didnt get a great deal of time on the field Last season and would like to play in U16's football on Saturdays, tell them to come along and enjoy the new Team

Contact Club for details

The Metro South league are as weak as the SFL letting them have teams in both leagues dont you agree
canyouseewhatisee

Grassroots Team: Kingston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL