SFL Team of All Time

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: SFL Team of All Time

Postby Speccy02 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:51 pm

spot on wrote:I heard that current players were ineligable to be selected in the team of all time, is that true? if so it is not really the team of all time.

Not sure if thats true or not spot on but regardless is there any current players that stack up against any of the players selected.
none spring to mind for me.
Speccy02
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby spot on » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Speccy02 wrote:
spot on wrote:I heard that current players were ineligable to be selected in the team of all time, is that true? if so it is not really the team of all time.

Not sure if thats true or not spot on but regardless is there any current players that stack up against any of the players selected.
none spring to mind for me.

Your probably right there Speccy just seemed like a silly rule, but then it was never going to be easy.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 am

Certainly not ineligable, but obviously when you are comparing completed careers to those part-finished, a lot of the current guys just had not accumulated the number of achievements as those in the past. At the moment we don't have any triple mail medallist or 9-time premiership players running around, however when the 150 year team is selected - a few might get there!
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Bag The Points » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:00 am

Just thinking today about three names I reckon would have just missed.
I personally thought the side was a pretty well-selected one, with no arguments from me about any of the men selected. However, if the side was actually able to play a game (say, in Broken Hill) I reckon these guys would have been on the "standby Reserves list" in case of "unavailability or injury" to the selected 21 ---- beginning with a guy that I think most of us might have forgotten about during our pre-selection banter---

John Staker (Noarlunga)-- back-to-back Mail Medals 1970-71 after captain-coaching Noarlunga to the Flag in 1970. They reckon he was one of the greatest ever seen in the South.
Doug Modra (Port and Christies)-- Tony had to get his ability from somewhere. They reckon his old man was just plain brilliant.
Bevan Davey (McLaren Flat)-- declared by those who saw him as "incredible"

I'll be interested in catching up with John Hall some time to find out how close these guys got.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:01 pm

Bag The Points wrote:Just thinking today about three names I reckon would have just missed.
I personally thought the side was a pretty well-selected one, with no arguments from me about any of the men selected. However, if the side was actually able to play a game (say, in Broken Hill) I reckon these guys would have been on the "standby Reserves list" in case of "unavailability or injury" to the selected 21 ---- beginning with a guy that I think most of us might have forgotten about during our pre-selection banter---

John Staker (Noarlunga)-- back-to-back Mail Medals 1970-71 after captain-coaching Noarlunga to the Flag in 1970. They reckon he was one of the greatest ever seen in the South.
Doug Modra (Port and Christies)-- Tony had to get his ability from somewhere. They reckon his old man was just plain brilliant.
Bevan Davey (McLaren Flat)-- declared by those who saw him as "incredible"

I'll be interested in catching up with John Hall some time to find out how close these guys got.

Those 3 certainly in the mix
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Head over it » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:30 pm

Was talking to someone at the 1st Prelim on saturday about who was in the side and they said they checked the SFL website
www.sflinc.com.au to try and find out the side but it wasnt there.
Just checked myself and he is right after making such a big deal about it the SFL hasnt even updated the site to include the side. (the only thing they have added is a Poem)
You would think they would have added it to the website by know??????? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Head over it

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue May 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Head over it wrote:Was talking to someone at the 1st Prelim on saturday about who was in the side and they said they checked the SFL website
http://www.sflinc.com.au to try and find out the side but it wasnt there.
Just checked myself and he is right after making such a big deal about it the SFL hasnt even updated the site to include the side. (the only thing they have added is a Poem)
You would think they would have added it to the website by know??????? :oops: :oops: :oops:

After almost 2 years, still not on the SFL site

is on Wikipedia though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Football_League_(South_Australia)#125_Year_Team
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Head over it » Wed May 22, 2013 5:34 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Head over it wrote:Was talking to someone at the 1st Prelim on saturday about who was in the side and they said they checked the SFL website

is on Wikipedia though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Football_League_(South_Australia)#125_Year_Team

well picked up LGIL. looks like the SFL website is not updated often but the wikipedia page is good.

Just looking through the wiki page and have seen the last few inductions into the SFL hall of fame.
Out of curiousity what leads to an elite player entry into the hall of fame. the team of all time still has 7 or 8 players not in the elite player hall of fame, yet the SFL has put other players in recently that didnt make the team.

Not that he shouldnt be in it but how did Chris Hams get inducted this year ahead of someone like Baden Taylor who beat him into the team of all time side? (both played similar positions/similar stats etc??). Just wondering if anyone knows how the new hall of famers are selected etc.
Is it a matter of willunga being more diligent and nominating players more than morphett vale or something else along those lines??
Head over it

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed May 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Head over it wrote:

well picked up LGIL. looks like the SFL website is not updated often but the wikipedia page is good.

Just looking through the wiki page and have seen the last few inductions into the SFL hall of fame.
Out of curiousity what leads to an elite player entry into the hall of fame. the team of all time still has 7 or 8 players not in the elite player hall of fame, yet the SFL has put other players in recently that didnt make the team.

Not that he shouldnt be in it but how did Chris Hams get inducted this year ahead of someone like Baden Taylor who beat him into the team of all time side? (both played similar positions/similar stats etc??). Just wondering if anyone knows how the new hall of famers are selected etc.
Is it a matter of willunga being more diligent and nominating players more than morphett vale or something else along those lines??

Having spoken to the guys involved numerous times, Willunga's record keeping is excellent, Chum has done an unreal job down there, likewise Ken Donne at Port Noarlunga.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby GWW » Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 pm

"Export" side - Beau Waters on the bench, and players such as Rogers, Torney and Doughty listed in backline. That just looks wrong to me.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 23, 2013 12:01 am

GWW wrote:"Export" side - Beau Waters on the bench, and players such as Rogers, Torney and Doughty listed in backline. That just looks wrong to me.

Doughty 231 AFL games, Rogers 197, Torney 195, at that stage Waters had yet to play 100 and not yet all-australian
two years later things have changed a bit
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby GWW » Thu May 23, 2013 1:01 am

Point taken. Did not realise it was picked a couple of years ago, only had a brief read of it.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Speccy02 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Head over it wrote:

Having spoken to the guys involved numerous times, Willunga's record keeping is excellent, Chum has done an unreal job down there, likewise Ken Donne at Port Noarlunga.

Surely the league has all the records it needs after picking the 125 year team. Does seem a little puzzling to me too??
Speccy02
Rookie

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL