SFL Team of All Time

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: SFL Team of All Time

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 pm

fly wrote:Mckenzie is a great defender. Big Log Smith is a great defender and Craig Smith also a great defender. John Bourke from Plympton was one of the best full back's I have seen in the SFL.

i'd take log over mckenzie any day of the week, and scotty is a gun
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby the red baron » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:43 am

three players from 70s and 80s Dave Traylen , Kevin Walker and Jeff Ash.
the red baron
Under 18s

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Gumeracha

Postby Speccy02 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:18 pm

I know this is everyone's "opinion" but some of the names being put forward shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as "Team of the Century" (notably some more recent posts).

To qualify to be discussed you would need to be have hit the record books at the very least, mail medallist (multiple), multiple premiership player, leading goal kicker etc. To mention blokes who do not tick any of those blokes is laughable :lol: :lol: Before you get on your horses and say "so if our club hasn't been successful it means the player does not qualify", well in this instance unless your player was heads/shoulders and whatever else you can find above the rest of the team then maybe they could be considered, taking into consideration what would've that player been like in a premiership team amongst other outstanding players, most likely not as big a standout, there may be an odd exception.

Defenders will be the harder one's, unlikely to have too many mail medallists but certainly some dour and perhaps high games tallies along with premierships might be looked at?

Unfortunately most posters aside from BTP and a few others know anything/very little prior to the 90's so doesn't really get too much air time but this should be the criteria for discussing/picking the "Team of the Century", 21 players from 100 years from around 20 clubs that have participated in the SFL.
Speccy02
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby pale ale » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:51 pm

the red baron wrote:three players from 70s and 80s Dave Traylen , Kevin Walker and Jeff Ash.

Jeff Ash at Full back and Dave Traylen at CHB would have to be considered

Vics01 no offence to the 2 players you mentioned but this is a SFL team of the century not Cove's team of the week, 1 cant kick and the other has had his fair share of big scores kicked on him.
pale ale
Under 16s

Postby Head over it » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:20 pm

So with the first 2 teams published in the messenger (kangarilla and Meadows) There isnt any that have been mentioned on here yet.

I assume the messenger is starting with the teams that have spent the least number of years in the SFL.

These teams will probably struggle to get many (if any) in the side.

Which team / teams will have the most representatives in the team of all time?

Considering the amount of years in the competition and the success of the teams you would think

I'll go with : Noarlunga, Aldinga, Morphett Vale, Christies, and Willunga.
Head over it

Postby pale ale » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Head over it wrote:So with the first 2 teams published in the messenger (kangarilla and Meadows) There isnt any that have been mentioned on here yet.

I assume the messenger is starting with the teams that have spent the least number of years in the SFL.

Considering the amount of years in the competition and the success of the teams you would think

Reynella and Port Noarlunga as well
pale ale
Under 16s

Postby hollywood7477 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:07 pm

pale ale wrote:
Head over it wrote:So with the first 2 teams published in the messenger (kangarilla and Meadows) There isnt any that have been mentioned on here yet.

When is Reynella naming their team in the messenger? Wld be good to see if blokes I went to school and played juniors with made the cut
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 72 times

Postby Head over it » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:09 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
pale ale wrote:

When is Reynella naming their team in the messenger? Wld be good to see if blokes I went to school and played juniors with made the cut

it would probably be one of the last few. I believe they are doing it in order of years in the SFL (i think) So it will be at least 15 weeks or more I reckon. Who knows though???
Head over it

Postby Head over it » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Does anyone know if there is a minimum amount of games that need to be played to make a player eligible for the side?
Head over it

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Head over it wrote:Does anyone know if there is a minimum amount of games that need to be played to make a player eligible for the side?

Yes The player must have played at least 100 A Grade games whilst the club is involved in SFL.
ie Flagstaff couldn't nominate Doug Degenhardt as he only played 92 A Grade games in SFL.
Doug won 4 B&F's (2 whilst in SFL).
Doug actually played about 280 for Flagstaff in total but most were whilst FHFC was in Glenelg South League
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Head over it » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:41 pm

85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:
Head over it wrote:Does anyone know if there is a minimum amount of games that need to be played to make a player eligible for the side?

Yes The player must have played at least 100 A Grade games whilst the club is involved in SFL.
ie Flagstaff couldn't nominate Doug Degenhardt as he only played 92 A Grade games in SFL.
Doug actually played about 280 for Flagstaff in total but most were whilst FHFC was in Glenelg South League

Cheers 85 Good Year, That sounds fair to me

If thats the case noone from plympton can make the side. they were only in the SFL for 3 years. So they could have only accumulated 66 games at an absolute maximum.
Head over it

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Head over it wrote:

If thats the case noone from plympton can make the side. they were only in the SFL for 3 years. So they could have only accumulated 66 games at an absolute maximum.

:shock:
disgrace!!! that side had some of the best players who ever played in this comp!!!
Steven Talbot should be in the 1st 5 picked!!!
probably should be named captain!

Hardly team of the century when every side that has played in this comp cant nominate.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Head over it » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:06 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Head over it wrote:

:shock:
disgrace!!! that side had some of the best players who ever played in this comp!!!
Steven Talbot should be in the 1st 5 picked!!!
probably should be named captain

Tough call this one, Definately hard to knock the SFL for putting some sort of cap on games played.
On one hand it stops players that have only played a season or so and then gone on to bigger and better things or blokes that only played a season and moved on to other leagues (merceneries). These are the blokes you dont want in the side.
On the other hand there are the blokes that played at plympton and the like that probably would have gone onto play many years in the SFL.

Hard one......

I guess in the end you mite not get the best 21 players that have ever played in the SFL but moreso 21 players that have best represented and "made" the SFL throughout history....
Head over it

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:07 pm

If the player won a Mail Medal or Kicked 100 Goals or more in a season, then they could be included.
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Head over it » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:26 pm

85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:If the player won a Mail Medal or Kicked 100 Goals or more in a season, then they could be included.

I guess this opens the door to either the mercenaries or great players (ex afl or sanfl) that mite finish in the sfl for a year or so had 1 great year (kicked a ton or won a mail medal) and then get selected on 1 season and what theyve done outside of the SFL. Still a tough call I guess, cause there Is different circumstances for lots of different players.
Head over it

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:36 pm

i understand the basis of there selection process (which i think doesnt make much sense) but what im nothered by is the fact the PFC were clearly the best side of a decade (80's) or 'possibly' one of the bet teams of all time and not one player can get a look in...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Head over it » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:49 am

woodublieve12 wrote:i understand the basis of there selection process (which i think doesnt make much sense) but what im nothered by is the fact the PFC were clearly the best side of a decade (80's) or 'possibly' one of the bet teams of all time and not one player can get a look in...

I definately see your point woodublieve. Maybe the SFL has come up with a loop hole to select a couple of the players from that side.... who knows. the SFL has been known to have some strange selection criteria for things in the past (namely the more recent club of the year award ;) ;) )

I guess it will just be one more thing to debate once the side gets announced :lol: :lol:
Head over it

Postby Jabber » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:28 am

Head over it wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:i understand the basis of there selection process (which i think doesnt make much sense) but what im nothered by is the fact the PFC were clearly the best side of a decade (80's) or 'possibly' one of the bet teams of all time and not one player can get a look in...

I definately see your point woodublieve. Maybe the SFL has come up with a loop hole to select a couple of the players from that side.... who knows. the SFL has been known to have some strange selection criteria for things in the past (namely the more recent club of the year award ;) ;) )

I guess it will just be one more thing to debate once the side gets announced :lol: :lol:

Quite dissapointing for those that played in those Plympton sides if they can't get recognised in this sort of thing. While i was only a little kid then i remember watching some extraordinary football being played by some absolute champions. Talbot would take a hanger on blokes heads and dish the ball off before he hit the ground!

S Talbot, J Bourke, B Salisbury, S Salisbury, K Nadebaum, P Harby would have to have been some of the best footballers to have ever played Adelaide local footy full stop, let alone the SFL.

T Potts has won flags SFL flags with Plympton x3, and I think Morphett Vale??? And Kangarilla??? Correct me on these as I dont have all the facts here. He'd be the John Cahill of SFL surely!
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Jabber » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:29 am

Head over it wrote:

Maybe its a bit of payback after how we "parted company" with SFL and more to the point, how we "farewelled" SFL house after the 89 GF...
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 am

Doug is definitely eligable if he won a Best & Fairest, the criteria is:

• Players must have played A-Grade games with a minimum of 100 games,
• and/or Players who have won a Mail Medal,
• and/or Players who have won an A-Grade Best & Fairest,
• and/or Players who have kicked 100 goals or more in a season,
• and/or Players who have played in an A-Grade Premiership,
• and/or Players who have represented the Southern Football League in Association Games, State Country Championships or National Country Championships.

Each of the Plympton players played in 3 premierships, hence they are eligable because they played in a premiership.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL