sheep

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

sheep

Postby st_nick » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13 am

id like to vent my views and findings on clubs who dont let parents stick up for them selfs or there children.
some clubs in the southern league treat there support stuff and players like shit and wonder why they cant get help for future games. im a mother and my son played in U14s this yr, i helped out with every game, home and away, bbq, running water, interchange, trainer and when i heard a coach abuse his team (u16, on video and not the first time) i reported it to the committee as i think its not nessasary to swear at children to get them to listen to you. they decided it was beter to get rid of me and my help and bench my son for more than 1/2 a game for the rest of the season. fair? i think not!!!
since they have not requied my help for over 1/2 the season they have struggles with others helping out. no trainers. no water. no interchange and struggled with staff for the bbq.
this happens at many clubs where voulunteers help out for the sake of the kids, so they can play sport, and the bloody committee and people who are REAL CLUBBYS run the show. what im trying to say is realy a bit of addvice to any parent who is about to sign there kid up is. if your not a sheep and follow their rules and break them when they want them broken then your not gonna fit in. your childs footy will suffer and you will get a bad name for your self. they will make up storys to keep them looking good and make it your fault. that will follow you to any club you move to.
my tip is be a sheep and follow in suit or sit in your car and just watch.
my son has now given up footy because that club took away his love and passion for the game :evil: :evil: :evil:
st_nick
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Re: sheep

Postby OnSong » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 am

I actually thought this thread might be discussing sheep. Prices are up, there are 67,000 of them just offloaded from a boat at Outer Harbour as well.

All sorts of issues to talk about but credit where credit's due, the cryptic thread title lured me in. Damn it!

st_nick: If you or your child is easily offended by swearing, competitive sport may not be for either of you. Plenty of it around in footy circles.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:23 am

Change clubs St Nick. There are a lot of SFL clubs who greatly appreciate any help on or off the field!
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:29 am

Sorry to hear this ,by the way could you name the club as townies don't field 14 or 16??
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:56 am

All clubs are run by different sorts of people, some will have the my way or the high way attitude but there are alot of good clubs out there that would appreciate the work you have put in and even the effort of your son. Sometimes the first club you go to may not be for you so please don't give up and take a look around at what other clubs have to offer and how they do things. You will enjoy watching and helping out at the right club.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:39 pm

OnSong wrote:st_nick: If you or your child is easily offended by swearing, competitive sport may not be for either of you. Plenty of it around in footy circles.

Hopefully not by an U16 Coach in a speech directed to his U16 charges though OnSong :roll:

Parent's can often be singularly focussed on their child, but from what you've written here, it sounds like you were not given the courtesy to discuss the incident.

I agree with MatteeG - find another club st Nick - as volunteers certainly deserve courtesy & respect.
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby OnSong » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:46 pm

85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:
OnSong wrote:st_nick: If you or your child is easily offended by swearing, competitive sport may not be for either of you. Plenty of it around in footy circles.

Hopefully not by an U16 Coach in a speech directed to his U16 charges though OnSong :roll:

The context of the F bomb is important IMO. If you're telling a player he's useless, not ideal, but if you're encouraging with it, do you have a problem with it then?
OnSong
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Firstly On-Song, St Nick suggested it was abusing Under 16 players not swearing at them. I think the sheep reference could also stand for sheep stations which is what too many junior coaches and parents think the kids are playing for.

An earlier post from St_Nick suggests an affiliation with Aldinga?
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby OnSong » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Firstly On-Song, St Nick suggested it was abusing Under 16 players not swearing at them.

st_nick wrote:i reported it to the committee as i think its not nessasary to swear at children to get them to listen to you.

You were saying?
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:17 pm

I just think before you all get on the defensive about volunteers etc, all country clubs RELY on volunteers.

No club in its right mind would actually rid themselves of a good volunteer unless the cons outweighed the pros by some margin.
OnSong
Coach

Postby NO-MERCY » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:49 pm

st_nick wrote:id like to vent my views and findings on clubs who dont let parents stick up for them selfs or there children.
some clubs in the southern league treat there support stuff and players like **** and wonder why they cant get help for future games. im a mother and my son played in U14s this yr, i helped out with every game, home and away, bbq, running water, interchange, trainer and when i heard a coach abuse his team (u16, on video and not the first time) i reported it to the committee as i think its not nessasary to swear at children to get them to listen to you. they decided it was beter to get rid of me and my help and bench my son for more than 1/2 a game for the rest of the season. fair? i think not!!!
since they have not requied my help for over 1/2 the season they have struggles with others helping out. no trainers. no water. no interchange and struggled with staff for the bbq.
this happens at many clubs where voulunteers help out for the sake of the kids, so they can play sport, and the bloody committee and people who are REAL CLUBBYS run the show. what im trying to say is realy a bit of addvice to any parent who is about to sign there kid up is. if your not a sheep and follow their rules and break them when they want them broken then your not gonna fit in. your childs footy will suffer and you will get a bad name for your self. they will make up storys to keep them looking good and make it your fault. that will follow you to any club you move to.
my tip is be a sheep and follow in suit or sit in your car and just watch.
my son has now given up footy because that club took away his love and passion for the game :evil: :evil: :evil:

Their loss st_nick, i hope your son reconsiders & signs up at a club that respects him & the other kids more.
The coach & club sound like they need to pull their heads in & get their sh!t sorted out or they'll know doubt lose more & more kids.
Another club will benefit from it.
NO-MERCY
Coach

Been liked: 15 times

Postby VC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 am

OnSong wrote:

The context of the F bomb is important IMO. If you're telling a player he's useless, not ideal, but if you're encouraging with it, do you have a problem with it then?

Come off it! They're kids! You don't have to drop the F bomb to get a point across! Kids look up to coaches as role models. So if you have brought your children up to not swear, It's ok for a coach to just swear as much as he likes??? The F bomb is important, haha. Come off it!
VC
Under 16s

Postby OnSong » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:28 am

VC wrote:
OnSong wrote:

Come off it! They're kids! You don't have to drop the F bomb to get a point across! Kids look up to coaches as role models. So if you have brought your children up to not swear, It's ok for a coach to just swear as much as he likes??? The F bomb is important, haha. Come off it!

FFS. I said the CONTEXT on how the F-bomb is used is important. I didn't say it WAS important. But if my coach gets a bit passionate and says "We can f***ing do this" or "Get your f***ing act together", I don't think it's a crime against humanity.

"You're f***ing useless" or "F*** me swinging, you guys are playing s***house" would be more negative examples that could be frowned upon.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Drop Bear » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:33 am

OnSong wrote:
VC wrote:
OnSong wrote:The context of the F bomb is important IMO. If you're telling a player he's useless, not ideal, but if you're encouraging with it, do you have a problem with it then?

FFS. I said the CONTEXT on how the F-bomb is used is important. I didn't say it WAS important. But if my coach gets a bit passionate and says "We can f***ing do this" or "Get your f***ing act together", I don't think it's a crime against humanity.

"You're f***ing useless" or "F*** me swinging, you guys are playing s***house" would be more negative examples that could be frowned upon.

Well **** me :lol:
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby VC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Mate, there's no need for it! These kids are generally 15 years old. maybe in under 18's it's more acceptable. But IMO in under 16 football it's not acceptable! It's no example to set. This sought of attitude is the reason we're seeing kids abusing umpires these day!
VC
Under 16s

Postby OnSong » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:26 pm

VC wrote:Mate, there's no need for it! These kids are generally 15 years old. maybe in under 18's it's more acceptable. But IMO in under 16 football it's not acceptable! It's no example to set. This sought of attitude is the reason we're seeing kids abusing umpires these day!

I agree there is no NEED for it but I'm just saying, what harm does it really do?

And you think kids didn't abuse umps in previous years? If anything, we've become MORE politically correct than in the past.

If anything, we've had MORE community education about how umpires should be respected and treated.

The whole issue I have is we don't have the full story. How the kids were "abused", what was said, what the club's stance is etc.

I remember breaking the swearing rule once or twice in under 16s, unintentionally but it just happened, the heat of moment sort of thing.

For all we know, the coach could be doing an amazing job with these kids and might have slipped up once and copped it.

I've coached junior level footy, I never swore but the behaviour from some parents I was subject to, as well as the players, would make you cringe. And that was UNDER 12s!!!!
OnSong
Coach

Postby Bag The Points » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm right with you, VC --- never should be used in Under-16 footy under ANY circumstances.
So they know what it means and many have used it before in younger grades ---- that doesn't mean we condone it.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby OnSong » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm done with this ****ing argument.
OnSong
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:42 pm

I know of a couple of coaches who make ALL the lads run a lap flat out if someone drops the bomb at training. Works well.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby st_nick » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:54 am

OnSong wrote:I actually thought this thread might be discussing sheep. Prices are up, there are 67,000 of them just offloaded from a boat at Outer Harbour as well.

All sorts of issues to talk about but credit where credit's due, the cryptic thread title lured me in. Damn it!

st_nick: If you or your child is easily offended by swearing, competitive sport may not be for either of you. Plenty of it around in footy circles.

if ur child at 13 was told to touch ur toes like a F*GGOT, u lazy F*CKN CU*T, ur all a bunch of ASS wipes, go c ur daddy and he can F*CKN lick ur ass to c how fast u can run. how would u feel. offended or down right horrifide?
st_nick
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL