Sub Junior Umpiring - Carnival Cancelled

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Sub Junior Umpiring - Carnival Cancelled

Postby MatteeG » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 pm

I believe Valleys have offered help coordinate a response to the SFL to try and get it re-instated.

Good luck with it.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:26 pm

MatteeG wrote:I believe Valleys have offered help coordinate a response to the SFL to try and get it re-instated.

Good luck with it.

I spoke with someone from Valleys tonight and they are very unhappy.

Not sure what it would take to get it reinstated? Probably a few of the club presidents approaching the league?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Re: Sub Junior Umpiring

Postby Blue Baggers » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 am

vics01 wrote:Bugger scores or no scores.

In the SFL nearly all the Mini's umpires are kids no older than 15. They like the kids playing are learning the game and umpiring for fun and a little bit of pocket money. The behaviour of some coaches and parent supporters is nothing short of disgusting. No club including mine is immune from this behaviour.

Mini's is about learning not F###ing winning at all costs. Yep I like others played under age with full rules and premierships, that however means nothing now. Society has changed so move on or P##s off. Let the kids learn.

NO kids learning to umpire means NO umpires in years to come. NO umpires means no game.

Any Coach,Official or parent who approaches and abuses a junior umpire should be P###ed for life.

As a parent of a mini's umpire who on some days does ALL 3 mini's games U8,U10 & U12 and who has received many compliments from many coaches, co-ordinators, parents and am sure there are many other mini's umpires who have received the same praise, i was disgusted when at a game recently, my son (17yr old) was verbally threatened (he did not hear this threat, but i did) by an U12's coach. This coach does not want "kids umpiring kids" and his club wants senior umpires to umpire the mini's. This was not the first time he has copped verbal abuse from this coach, (he copped abuse last year from this coach). It's the "younger" umpires who are at more at risk of "throwing in the towel" as they should not have to put up with constant abuse and complaints from coaches, parents and the like. This same coach also verbally abused another younger umpire a couple of weeks later. This younger umpire had quit after this abuse, but had been talked back into umpiring by the Umpiring director. this coach & club have since been up to front the investigations committee for the first incident and the second umpire who was abused was lodging a complaint with the SFL. No ...umpires do not see everything and yes i have abused umpires in my time ....but NEVER, NEVER have i abused or verbally threatened a CHILD who was umpiring. Totally agree with you vics01 ....any coach, official or parent who verbally threatens or abuses an umpire should be banned for life from ever entering a football ground again.
Blue Baggers
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Sub Junior Umpiring

Postby afc9798 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:07 am

Blue Baggers wrote:
vics01 wrote:Bugger scores or no scores.

In the SFL nearly all the Mini's umpires are kids no older than 15. They like the kids playing are learning the game and umpiring for fun and a little bit of pocket money. The behaviour of some coaches and parent supporters is nothing short of disgusting. No club including mine is immune from this behaviour.

Mini's is about learning not F###ing winning at all costs. Yep I like others played under age with full rules and premierships, that however means nothing now. Society has changed so move on or P##s off. Let the kids learn.

NO kids learning to umpire means NO umpires in years to come. NO umpires means no game.

Any Coach,Official or parent who approaches and abuses a junior umpire should be P###ed for life.

As a parent of a mini's umpire who on some days does ALL 3 mini's games U8,U10 & U12 and who has received many compliments from many coaches, co-ordinators, parents and am sure there are many other mini's umpires who have received the same praise, i was disgusted when at a game recently, my son (17yr old) was verbally threatened (he did not hear this threat, but i did) by an U12's coach. This coach does not want "kids umpiring kids" and his club wants senior umpires to umpire the mini's. This was not the first time he has copped verbal abuse from this coach, (he copped abuse last year from this coach). It's the "younger" umpires who are at more at risk of "throwing in the towel" as they should not have to put up with constant abuse and complaints from coaches, parents and the like. This same coach also verbally abused another younger umpire a couple of weeks later. This younger umpire had quit after this abuse, but had been talked back into umpiring by the Umpiring director. this coach & club have since been up to front the investigations committee for the first incident and the second umpire who was abused was lodging a complaint with the SFL. No ...umpires do not see everything and yes i have abused umpires in my time ....but NEVER, NEVER have i abused or verbally threatened a CHILD who was umpiring. Totally agree with you vics01 ....any coach, official or parent who verbally threatens or abuses an umpire should be banned for life from ever entering a football ground again.

Name and shame I say, name and shame........
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby afc9798 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 am

Dutchy wrote:
MatteeG wrote:I believe Valleys have offered help coordinate a response to the SFL to try and get it re-instated.

Good luck with it.

I spoke with someone from Valleys tonight and they are very unhappy.

Not sure what it would take to get it reinstated? Probably a few of the club presidents approaching the league?

I believe a petition is being circulated at sub-junior training tonight at HVFC which will be forwarded to the SFL. Not sure if there will be any impact, but I at least applaud those organising it for taking a stand against the wrong decision. As I pointed out earlier, cancelling the carnival was the easy decision, dealing with the offenders is not. SFL has effectively absolved themselves of responsibility and left the clubs to deal with the fallout. What some say is a courageous decision, I say is the easy option and actually does nothing to resolve the problem. Need to stand against the offenders, not the volunteers and kids who did nothing wrong. Just penalises the wrong people and puts more pressure on volunteers to deal with the fall out.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:27 am

Im with you afc, HV should bring the petition over to Flaggy tonight and you would get another 100 signatures.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Courtney Fish » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:49 am

Dutchy wrote:Im with you afc, HV should bring the petition over to Flaggy tonight and you would get another 100 signatures.

Send it to all clubs, then if it goes ahead ban any official/spectator that has caused trouble from attending.

My boys were really looking forward to possibly playing against school mates from other clubs that they don't play against throughout the season.

It's a shame it comes to this when the League can't seem to make any other big decisions for the good of the league.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Anyone that feels strongly about this should be ringing/emailing the SFL. You never know...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Southern Football League cancels junior under-age football carnivals

Generating some media attention this decision.

Perhaps next year some parents will pull their heads in after seeing the disappointment on their kids faces not playing this year.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Leo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am

heater31 wrote:Southern Football League cancels junior under-age football carnivals

Perhaps next year some parents will pull their heads in after seeing the disappointment on their kids faces not playing this year.

Maybe someone should send this article to Alistair Clarkson and see what a great role model he is being!!
Leo
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Straight Line » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Leo wrote:
heater31 wrote:Southern Football League cancels junior under-age football carnivals

Maybe someone should send this article to Alistair Clarkson and see what a great role model he is being!!

My thoughts exactly, on a better note I hear Flaggies kids won the crows sing off last night. Well done kids
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby afc9798 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Straight Line wrote:
Leo wrote:

My thoughts exactly, on a better note I hear Flaggies kids won the crows sing off last night. Well done kids

It's not about winning, it's about developing their voices for their future careers. Don't come on here with your winning is everything attitude!! ;)
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Straight Line » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:56 pm

afc9798 wrote:
Straight Line wrote:
Leo wrote:

It's not about winning, it's about developing their voices for their future careers. Don't come on here with your winning is everything attitude!! ;)

:lol: =))
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Straight Line wrote:
Leo wrote:

Flaggy's will now be the 10th club to front the board for being too competitive :lol: as well as Brighton for bringing the league into disrepute for only having 5 kids there ;)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:08 am

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6435208977

SFL this is how you handle conduct issues, suspend the individuals and the message will get through.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby tigerpie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:54 am

Dutchy wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/hawthorn-coach-alastair-clarkson-suspended-for-a-month-for-junior-footy-abuse/story-e6frf9jf-1226435208977

SFL this is how you handle conduct issues, suspend the individuals and the message will get through.

And add this Dutchy.

All clubs should have a code of conduct, in writing, sent home for the parents/caregivers at the start of the season.

This is to be signed by the player and parent/caregiver and delivered back to their coach, to be forwarded to the club secretary. This acknowledges that all parties have read and understood the document and the consequences of breaking the code.
Now this isnt going to stamp out poor parent behavior, but, the clubs can at least say they have done everything in their power to educate all party's concerned. Any club who is not doing this should do so or face a penalty.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby canyouseewhatisee » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Deleted

tigerpie wrote:
Dutchy wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/hawthorn-coach-alastair-clarkson-suspended-for-a-month-for-junior-footy-abuse/story-e6frf9jf-1226435208977

And add this Dutchy.

All clubs should have a code of conduct, in writing, sent home for the parents/caregivers at the start of the season.

This is to be signed by the player and parent/caregiver and delivered back to their coach, to be forwarded to the club secretary. This acknowledges that all parties have read and understood the document and the consequences of breaking the code.
Now this isnt going to stamp out poor parent behavior, but, the clubs can at least say they have done everything in their power to educate all party's concerned. Any club who is not doing this should do so or face a penalty.
canyouseewhatisee

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Kingston

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Apparently Brighton Under 12's were the last club reported and that was the end of the carnival.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Courtney Fish » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Just talking about it on Triple M. Roo and Dits are not happy the carnival is cancelled. They are on the case to get it reinstated.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby KEYDEFENDER » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Maybe Roo and Dits can come down and enforce the behaviour.
In reality the SFL are part time/understaffed/under resourced etc. It would be way to big a job to police against society in general. IIRC they set the agenda a while ago and asked the clubs to tidy the act up. As they could not, they have taken a blanket approach to police the situation.
Considering the circumstances they have acted they way they have.
I dont listen to Roo and Dittmar as they sell their ideas for ratings. But perhaps they could use their profile to help the SFL get better resources to enforce better standards in their league. Maybe some help form the massive amount of money in the AFL coffers. Auskick participants/enrollers is the perfect time to educate the child and parent.
KEYDEFENDER
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL