Sub Junior Umpiring - Carnival Cancelled

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Sub Junior Umpiring - Carnival Cancelled

Postby Goal side » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:01 pm

I say name the clubs and the parents, one way to shut them up!
Goal side
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby afc9798 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:05 pm

KEYDEFENDER wrote:Maybe Roo and Dits can come down and enforce the behaviour.
In reality the SFL are part time/understaffed/under resourced etc. It would be way to big a job to police against society in general. IIRC they set the agenda a while ago and asked the clubs to tidy the act up. As they could not, they have taken a blanket approach to police the situation.
Considering the circumstances they have acted they way they have.
I dont listen to Roo and Dittmar as they sell their ideas for ratings. But perhaps they could use their profile to help the SFL get better resources to enforce better standards in their league. Maybe some help form the massive amount of money in the AFL coffers. Auskick participants/enrollers is the perfect time to educate the child and parent.

It's not about the SFL enforcing anything, it's about getting the clubs to take action against the people who commit these acts. As I have said ad nauseam, the SFL took the easy way out and left the clubs to deal with the fallout from their decision, rather than allow sanctions to be put in place against clubs or individuals who transgress and allow that impact to set ion at those clubs. They have penalised 99% of the sub junior kids and parents for the sins of 1%. Penalties were handed out to clubs who transgressed, but cultural change takes more than a week to implement.

Even if they asked each club to supply a mature age umpire for the carnival and they umpire games not involving their own club. That umpire could then assist the young umpires on the day by being there on the field to mentor them. Rather than take a proactive approach, they have simply taken the wrong approach that will do nothing to improve the situation. They have missed a golden opportunity for the SFL to to be seen as a leader in stamping out this unacceptable behaviour from a small minority.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:13 pm

afc9798 wrote:
In reality the SFL are part time/understaffed/under resourced etc. It would be way to big a job to police against society in general. IIRC they set the agenda a while ago and asked the clubs to tidy the act up. As they could not, they have taken a blanket approach to police the situation.
I dont listen to Roo and Dittmar as they sell their ideas for ratings. But perhaps they could use their profile to help the SFL get better resources to enforce better standards in their league. Maybe some help form the massive amount of money in the AFL coffers. Auskick participants/enrollers is the perfect time to educate the child and parent.

It's not about the SFL enforcing anything, it's about getting the clubs to take action against the people who commit these acts. As I have said ad nauseam, the SFL took the easy way out and left the clubs to deal with the fallout from their decision, rather than allow sanctions to be put in place against clubs or individuals who transgress and allow that impact to set ion at those clubs. They have penalised 99% of the sub junior kids and parents for the sins of 1%. Penalties were handed out to clubs who transgressed, but cultural change takes more than a week to implement.

Even if they asked each club to supply a mature age umpire for the carnival and they umpire games not involving their own club. That umpire could then assist the young umpires on the day by being there on the field to mentor them. Rather than take a proactive approach, they have simply taken the wrong approach that will do nothing to improve the situation. They have missed a golden opportunity for the SFL to to be seen as a leader in stamping out this unacceptable behaviour from a small minority.

=D> =D>

Perhaps there should be a SFL Sub Junior committee just for the 8's 10's & 12's, I would be happy to be involved.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby afc9798 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

=D> =D>

Perhaps there should be a SFL Sub Junior committee just for the 8's 10's & 12's, I would be happy to be involved.

I agree totally, would also be happy to be involved myself. The current board does not really understand the difficulties of running a program with so many kids and the fact that it's getting harder and harder to get volunteers.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Blue Baggers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:10 pm

It is unfortunate that the mini's season has now come to a close, however as a parent of an umpire of the mini's let me say a huge thank you to the clubs, coaches, coordinators and parents who have abided by the rules of the SFL and not abuse him in any way or form.
Congratulations to FHFC, HVFC, PNFC, RFC, OSB/Lonsdale & MVFC who, as the home teams made my son feel welcome by making sure he didn't need anything and for also supplying him with drinks and or a bite to eat when was finished. You should be proud of your Coordinators, coaches, officials, support staff and parents who ALL "kept quiet" this season. ALL those other clubs whose COACHES, parents and support staff "opened their mouths" throughout the season and was part of the reason the Carnival was cancelled ....... perhaps next season you have learnt the lessons of this season and will in future ....... Let the UMPIRES umpire the game and most of all .....KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT !!!!
Blue Baggers
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Nice one BB, great to here its not all bad news out there from the clubs.

Sadly with all the media attention this has rec'd all of the SFL clubs and volunteers have been tarred with the same brush, many people not involved in the league think every game/club/volunteer has played a part, which in turn means we could lose some good people who might have just had a gutful.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Courtney Fish » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:Nice one BB, great to here its not all bad news out there from the clubs.

Sadly with all the media attention this has rec'd all of the SFL clubs and volunteers have been tarred with the same brush, many people not involved in the league think every game/club/volunteer has played a part, which in turn means we could lose some good people who might have just had a gutful.

The Southern Times Messenger claims there has been 12 complaints about umpire abuse in juniors this year. How many games were played, how many spectators, officials were at these games? A very small minority have got the league all over the radio, papers etc. This decision has made the league look even worse than the regular Sunday Mail senior scores do.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby vics01 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:33 am

CF
The Southern Times Messenger claims there has been 12 complaints about umpire abuse in juniors this year. How many games were played, how many spectators, officials were at these games? A very small minority have got the league all over the radio, papers etc. This decision has made the league look even worse than the regular Sunday Mail senior scores do.

Only 12 complaints?? Not a problem unless you are the 13 to 15 year old who has been threatened or sworn and yelled at. That is only the 12 who have gone before the board. You are fool to think these are the only incidents. It is done now. Get on and make a day for your kids to HAVE FUN including umpire KIDS.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 am

Lets not continue the witch hunt as to which clubs are to blame. 1 of the 12 complaints that was officially heard by the SFL was against Brighton but this was a childs grandparents making a complaint about alleged rough play in an Under 12 game. The matter was included in the Investigation Committee circus but went nowhere. Having said that, I am aware of a few incidents involving umpires and our club, so we are not imune from the problems. But don't just think that certain clubs should be named and blamed because not all matters that went before the Tribunal were umpire related. I'm aware of several complaints direct to the Umpires Co-ordinator/Coach made by umpires and their parents against a whole range of clubs that haven't necessarIly gone before the SFL and which the Umpires have spoken direct to the clubs.

I think part of the problem is the fun that's being taken out of Mini's. All these rules about having "qualified" trainers, match day co-ordinators in their fancy hi-vis, insurance checklists etc. etc. The more rules you make, the more serious people will start taking it and then that extends to whats happening on the field.

BRING BACK THE FUN.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:21 am

Down the Hill wrote:Lets not continue the witch hunt as to which clubs are to blame. 1 of the 12 complaints that was officially heard by the SFL was against Brighton but this was a childs grandparents making a complaint about alleged rough play in an Under 12 game. The matter was included in the Investigation Committee circus but went nowhere. Having said that, I am aware of a few incidents involving umpires and our club, so we are not imune from the problems. But don't just think that certain clubs should be named and blamed because not all matters that went before the Tribunal were umpire related. I'm aware of several complaints direct to the Umpires Co-ordinator/Coach made by umpires and their parents against a whole range of clubs that haven't necessarIly gone before the SFL and which the Umpires have spoken direct to the clubs.

I think part of the problem is the fun that's being taken out of Mini's. All these rules about having "qualified" trainers, match day co-ordinators in their fancy hi-vis, insurance checklists etc. etc. The more rules you make, the more serious people will start taking it and then that extends to whats happening on the field.

BRING BACK THE FUN.

You have a problem with having "qualified" trainers DTH? They only need Senior First Aid certificate dont they?
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 am

Of course we know your club has more medical staff than the SA hospital system - Hank's Heroes. I tripped over in the Hub Car Park one day and they came running from everywhere. Yes we need trainers but kids in Under 12 down have got more chance of getting hurt in the playground and backyard and do they have a person in white shadowing their every move. Society has gone mad. Further proven by the compulsory volunteer insurance we got sucked into paying.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby vics01 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:04 pm

MF

I think DTH is saying that it has all gone too far. Kids want to have fun not be restricted by stupid adult(wrap in cotton Wool rules) Seeing coordinators get all wound up about exact ground sizes for example. The kids don't care they just want to have sticks at either end and have a kick.

Parents need to wake up to themselves
Last edited by vics01 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby canyouseewhatisee » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Deleted
canyouseewhatisee

Grassroots Team: Kingston

Postby Straight Line » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Might want to leave it up to the sfl to name and shame
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Of course we know your club has more medical staff than the SA hospital system - Hank's Heroes. I tripped over in the Hub Car Park one day and they came running from everywhere. Yes we need trainers but kids in Under 12 down have got more chance of getting hurt in the playground and backyard and do they have a person in white shadowing their every move. Society has gone mad. Further proven by the compulsory volunteer insurance we got sucked into paying.

DTH mate you are correct we do have a good bunch of trainers and yes Hank is a hero - his team even look after other clubs players when their trainers cant - including yours

Yep kids get injured in backyards, playgrounds and on footy fields but there is a big difference between wearing hi vis vests and having someone who knows what they are doing on the sidelines just in case someone gets hurt.
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Got exposed to Under 12's on the weekend when my lad played to fill in when there were a couple of injuries. Geez some officials (in particular runners) take it pretty seriously :shock:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby MZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Further to DTHs recent post, the other 'investigation' into a Brighton runner's behaviour was lodged by an umpire's coach who arrived to the game after half time and wrote the report on the hearsay of another SFL official. The alleged incident occurred at quarter time. The so called 'investigation' revealled that the report was factually incorrect (supported by the poor kid umpire that was dragged before the committee). Of course there was NFA taken. By the way - there was no apology, or acknowledgement that the report lodged by the official was FACTUALLY INCORRECT accusing our runner of things that DID NOT HAPPEN.

We are not immune to isolated incidents but it would be interesting to know how many of the 12 reports were actually report worthy.
MZ
Mini-League

Postby canyouseewhatisee » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:50 am

its upto the SFL
Last edited by canyouseewhatisee on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canyouseewhatisee

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:16 pm

canyouseewhatisee wrote:
Goal side wrote:I say name the clubs and the parents, one way to shut them up!

you put the names out and they get deleted is that how to fix people that wreck the umpires

Just protecting you from getting sued.

SFL should at least release the names of the clubs that have been proven guilty.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby canyouseewhatisee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:
canyouseewhatisee wrote:
Goal side wrote:I say name the clubs and the parents, one way to shut them up!

you put the names out and they get deleted is that how to fix people that wreck the umpires

Just protecting you from getting sued.

SFL should at least release the names of the clubs that have been proven guilty.

Thanks Dutchy I was at the game last year with my daughter, my son was playing in another game it was a disgusting act towards an umpire no wonder there is no carnival this year
canyouseewhatisee

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL