FUTURE DIRECTIONS COMMITTEE

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

FUTURE DIRECTIONS COMMITTEE

Postby leftpeg » Wed May 29, 2013 12:35 am

For all forum members wondering about what ideas the Future Directions Committee are suggesting to the SFL, below I have attached the Future Directions Committee's presentation to the SFL General Board, which was presented on the 20th May.

I believe everyone involved in SFL clubs should be able to see this, and the more discussion on the topic the better.
Attachments
FDC Presentation to General Board 20TH MAY 2013.pdf
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 363 times
leftpeg

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: FUTURE DIRECTIONS COMMITTEE

Postby Kart Horse » Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 am

leftpeg wrote:For all forum members wondering about what ideas the Future Directions Committee are suggesting to the SFL, below I have attached the Future Directions Committee's presentation to the SFL General Board, which was presented on the 20th May.

I believe everyone involved in SFL clubs should be able to see this, and the more discussion on the topic the better.

Wow very in depth report there. Answers all the questions and will improve the standing of the SFL. :roll:
It looks like 5 minutes spent on this presentation. Most work on the colouring and dot points. Was this done by a 14 year old the day it was due? The only thing they really suggest is changing the junior age groups and U14 to Sunday as u13?
How does any of this improve what could be a strong comp? Waste of time this report!
Kart Horse
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby shoe boy » Wed May 29, 2013 12:00 pm

Kart Horse wrote:
leftpeg wrote:For all forum members wondering about what ideas the Future Directions Committee are suggesting to the SFL, below I have attached the Future Directions Committee's presentation to the SFL General Board, which was presented on the 20th May.

Wow very in depth report there. Answers all the questions and will improve the standing of the SFL. :roll:
It looks like 5 minutes spent on this presentation. Most work on the colouring and dot points. Was this done by a 14 year old the day it was due? The only thing they really suggest is changing the junior age groups and U14 to Sunday as u13?
How does any of this improve what could be a strong comp? Waste of time this report!

KH, I believe the most important part of the recommendation is the Sat structure. "Failure to register 2 colts and 2 senior sides put club affiliation at risk".

I believe "compulsory" is a better word than Risk!!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Kart Horse » Wed May 29, 2013 12:37 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Kart Horse wrote:

KH, I believe the most important part of the recommendation is the Sat structure. "Failure to register 2 colts and 2 senior sides put club affiliation at risk".

I believe "compulsory" is a better word than Risk!!

As long as it is worded as "RISK" there is no change. Wasn't there already a "RISK" if full juniors weren't in by all clubs they would no longer be affiliated with the league? I'm sure some clubs were told this a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for doing something to improve the League but can't see any benefit from this report. Hope I'm wrong.
Kart Horse
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby fathersonsfl » Wed May 29, 2013 12:51 pm

The way I see it is this is not the report, this looks like a presentation with main points that the committee/presenter would have expanded on at the meeting. The report itself would come out of the minutes of the presentation given on the evening. I hope, and am of the opinion that if the presenter/commitee are worth their pinch of salt they would have used these slides as bullet points to expand on.
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby leftpeg » Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm

fathersonsfl wrote:The way I see it is this is not the report, this looks like a presentation with main points that the committee/presenter would have expanded on at the meeting. The report itself would come out of the minutes of the presentation given on the evening. I hope, and am of the opinion that if the presenter/commitee are worth their pinch of salt they would have used these slides as bullet points to expand on.

They probably did expand on the points to the SFL, but this is the sole document which has been sent to the clubs for their respective committees to discuss and then report back to the SFL with their feedback. The Minutes from the General Meeting merely stated that the FDC presented to the board, but did not include any detail as to what was said. I believe the FDC will be presenting to the SFL presidents in the future.

The dot points are pretty clear I think.. no matter how much bulls**t someone talks when expanding on the points..

basically
They want to change the Saturday Football Structure by:
    -Decreasing number of games from 5 (for most clubs) down to 4.. with an "optional" 5th game (3rd Snr grade)??
    (Is it optional for the league as too whether or not they want a 3rd Snr Grade, or Is it optional for each club whether they want to enter a 5th team??)
    - Removing a successful 12 team U14 comp. to Sundays (to benefit Brighton and Morphy Parks)
    - Forcing kids to play Snr football 1 year sooner, by moving from 18s to 17s

They want to change the Sunday Football Structure by:
    -Removing the C grade competition - which would mean 140 blokes no longer get a game of Football every week, unless they move to another club
    -Separating 1st Year U14s from the Rest of the club, as they will play stand alone games on Sunday
leftpeg

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm

fathersonsfl wrote:The way I see it is this is not the report, this looks like a presentation with main points that the committee/presenter would have expanded on at the meeting. The report itself would come out of the minutes of the presentation given on the evening. I hope, and am of the opinion that if the presenter/commitee are worth their pinch of salt they would have used these slides as bullet points to expand on.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby afc9798 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:45 pm

leftpeg wrote:

They probably did expand on the points to the SFL, but this is the sole document which has been sent to the clubs for their respective committees to discuss and then report back to the SFL with their feedback. The Minutes from the General Meeting merely stated that the FDC presented to the board, but did not include any detail as to what was said. I believe the FDC will be presenting to the SFL presidents in the future.

The dot points are pretty clear I think.. no matter how much bulls**t someone talks when expanding on the points..

basically
    -Decreasing number of games from 5 (for most clubs) down to 4.. with an "optional" 5th game (3rd Snr grade)??
    (Is it optional for the league as too whether or not they want a 3rd Snr Grade, or Is it optional for each club whether they want to enter a 5th team??)
    - Removing a successful 12 team U14 comp. to Sundays (to benefit Brighton and Morphy Parks)

-Removing the C grade competition - which would mean 140 blokes no longer get a game of Football every week, unless they move to another club
    -Separating 1st Year U14s from the Rest of the club, as they will play stand alone games on Sunday

Seems a reasonable summation of the facts. Basically at this point, no consideration has been given to the real issue which is the number of non-competitive teams.
Can't see how any of this really addresses that issue in any meaningful way. It is however, a lovely Powerpoint template they have used to mask the lack of detail.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 29, 2013 8:00 pm

The proposed Under 13 comp doesn't seem to have been thought thru at all, How are clubs going to fill it from players born in one year? Or do they expect some Under 12 players to step up and play?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby afc9798 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Dutchy wrote:The proposed Under 13 comp doesn't seem to have been thought thru at all, How are clubs going to fill it from players born in one year? Or do they expect some Under 12 players to step up and play?

Correct, or they change minis to 7's, 9's and 11's. problem is that these changes are addressing the areas that currently work well. Easier than looking at the big problems of how to address the bottom sides inability to compete, recruit, attract and retain players to form a competitive senior squad.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 pm

If I am not mistaken, this change to the junior grades will reverT back to the configuration of the mid to late nineties. There was both under 13's and under 12's.

Whilst there are clubs that do not consistently fill all colts sides, there are sides who do not field an under 17/18 side every blue moon. The most recent example is port noarlunga. What happens in these situations?

The inference from the powerpoint is that two divisions is not viable without additional clubs. I believe an 8 team div one and 7 team div two would work. There are plenty of leagues in South Austrlia who have less than 7 sides. Whilst these are all country leagues, they send players to the country championships as does the SFL.

Apparently, the FDC beleives in the old chessnut, slow and steady wins the race :roll:
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Rush a Point » Wed May 29, 2013 9:07 pm

afc9798 wrote:
leftpeg wrote:

basically

Seems a reasonable summation of the facts. Basically at this point, no consideration has been given to the real issue which is the number of non-competitive teams.
Can't see how any of this really addresses that issue in any meaningful way. It is however, a lovely Powerpoint template they have used to mask the lack of detail.

If this is all the FDC could come up with, god help the SFL. They are skirting around the real issues. This will not strengthen clubs at Senior Level. I thought that would be the most important consideration for the FDC. One sided results are the laughing stock of football followers. Until someone with real balls is in charge at the SFL, the gap between the large clubs and the others will widen.

Why would you take U14 away from the successful Saturday format that the SFL is built around. Many parents like the idea of Saturday Football and I feel that we will loose players if they are forced to play Sunday. It seems from afar that the league is bowing to Brighton and Morphettville Park. It is time to consider the majority not the minority that choose to play college football.

It is well known that Brighton have wanted "C" grade on a Saturday. What about the blokes who can't play on a Saturday, they will be lost to Football.

It is time to get some people who want to fix the real issue of a senior competition that is so one sided that it is a farce.
Rush a Point

Been liked: 1 time

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:52 am

Here's a bit of a chat starter.
Instead of 2 divisions why not bring back the Glenelg South league or have a North/South comp which could be become a branch of the SFL. This will require a bit of work and a few clubs to join the league but i think it would be easier to entice other clubs to come over to a div1 comp rather than a div 2.
Teams in south league
Aldinga, Christies, Flaggies, Hackham, Valley, Mophettvale, Noarlunga, Osb/lons, Pt Noarl, Reynella.
some of these teams have a few options. Aldinga can stay in the SFL or even move to GSFL whatever is the best fit for them. OSB may be able to be in North or South. Also most of these clubs don't have a problem with school football so will be able to field all Saturday grades.
Glenelg South/ North leauge.
Brighton, Cove, Edwardstown, Marion, Morphettville Park, to start with. Other clubs that could be spoken to, Blackwood, Plympton, Phos, Mitchell Park, Kenilworth, Shocs and probably many more. Most of these clubs would be a good fit for the comp and could also play juniors on Sundays.
The South comp becomes a 10 team comp which makes everyone happy and the North league would all depend on new clubs. You would also be able to have a conference type Grand final between the winner of the to comps.
Never said it would be easy but maybe something the Future direction committee could look into. Any thoughts.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Courtney Fish » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 am

I thought the idea behind 2 divisions was to have 2 even comps with competitive matches, no 200 point blowouts and players can rock up to preseason with some hope of playing finals. Not create 2 versions of the current debacle. Clubs out side the SFL may be more inclined to join if they were placed in a suitable Div. eg Blackwood Div 1, Kangies Div 2.etc
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby afc9798 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Courtney Fish wrote:I thought the idea behind 2 divisions was to have 2 even comps with competitive matches, no 200 point blowouts and players can rock up to preseason with some hope of playing finals. Not create 2 versions of the current debacle. Clubs out side the SFL may be more inclined to join if they were placed in a suitable Div. eg Blackwood Div 1, Kangies Div 2.etc

That's correct, yet the conversation seems to have got sidetracked to solutions that don't solve the problems and merely replicate the same across two divisions.
It is, however, a complex situation that requires brains far sharper than mine to resolve, so I do have some empathy for those trying to address this issue.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:19 pm

afc9798 wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:I thought the idea behind 2 divisions was to have 2 even comps with competitive matches, no 200 point blowouts and players can rock up to preseason with some hope of playing finals. Not create 2 versions of the current debacle. Clubs out side the SFL may be more inclined to join if they were placed in a suitable Div. eg Blackwood Div 1, Kangies Div 2.etc

That's correct, yet the conversation seems to have got sidetracked to solutions that don't solve the problems and merely replicate the same across two divisions.
It is, however, a complex situation that requires brains far sharper than mine to resolve, so I do have some empathy for those trying to address this issue.

why don't the top 8 from this year go to d1 and the bottom 7 go to d2... Pretty simple. Maybe attract another d2 club to make it even. or attract 5 hills league clubs to make two 10 team comps... the first option works fine...

Any side who doesn't finish in the 8 this year can't really complain!!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:52 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Here's a bit of a chat starter.
Instead of 2 divisions why not bring back the Glenelg South league or have a North/South comp which could be become a branch of the SFL. This will require a bit of work and a few clubs to join the league but i think it would be easier to entice other clubs to come over to a div1 comp rather than a div 2.
Teams in south league
Aldinga, Christies, Flaggies, Hackham, Valley, Mophettvale, Noarlunga, Osb/lons, Pt Noarl, Reynella.
some of these teams have a few options. Aldinga can stay in the SFL or even move to GSFL whatever is the best fit for them. OSB may be able to be in North or South. Also most of these clubs don't have a problem with school football so will be able to field all Saturday grades.
Glenelg South/ North leauge.
Brighton, Cove, Edwardstown, Marion, Morphettville Park, to start with. Other clubs that could be spoken to, Blackwood, Plympton, Phos, Mitchell Park, Kenilworth, Shocs and probably many more. Most of these clubs would be a good fit for the comp and could also play juniors on Sundays.
The South comp becomes a 10 team comp which makes everyone happy and the North league would all depend on new clubs. You would also be able to have a conference type Grand final between the winner of the to comps.
Never said it would be easy but maybe something the Future direction committee could look into. Any thoughts.

Looks like it was discussed
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/bid- ... 6599687521
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby afc9798 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:26 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

why don't the top 8 from this year go to d1 and the bottom 7 go to d2... Pretty simple. Maybe attract another d2 club to make it even. or attract 5 hills league clubs to make two 10 team comps... the first option works fine...

not sure Flagstaff Hill will take that too well.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:27 pm

afc9798 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

not sure Flagstaff Hill will take that too well.

can't make the 8. don't deserve to be in div1!!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby Straight Line » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:36 pm

can't make the 8. don't deserve to be in div1!!![/quote]

Go and have a look at the draw its too uneven...thats why :roll:
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times