Brighton FC

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Brighton FC

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:36 pm

HH3 wrote:Have been talking to a guy at work who plays in the SFL, and we think that if Brighton go, there could be a big exedus of teams from the SFL. Just talking shit, but it seems possible for the SFL to be a distant memory if they dont implement a 2 division system sooner than later.

Brighton, Morphettville, Edwardstown, Cove and maybe Marion to the SAAFL

Old Noarlunga, Porties, Morphies, Reynella, Christies, Aldinga, Lonsdale and Hackham to Great Southern to make 2 divs

Flaggies and Happy Valley to the Hills League

Brighton, Morphettville, Edwardstown & Marion would be the clubs to the SAAFL IMHO is the way to go.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby mirror#3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:01 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:
HH3 wrote:Have been talking to a guy at work who plays in the SFL, and we think that if Brighton go, there could be a big exedus of teams from the SFL. Just talking shit, but it seems possible for the SFL to be a distant memory if they dont implement a 2 division system sooner than later.

Old Noarlunga, Porties, Morphies, Reynella, Christies, Aldinga, Lonsdale and Hackham to Great Southern to make 2 divs

Brighton, Morphettville, Edwardstown & Marion would be the clubs to the SAAFL IMHO is the way to go.

Couldn't see Edwardstown going back to the SAAFL, part of the reason for moving to the SFL was that they were struggling with the SAAFL association fees and were much better off financially by moving into the SFL.
mirror#3
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby The Note Book » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:25 pm

mirror#3 wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:

Couldn't see Edwardstown going back to the SAAFL, part of the reason for moving to the SFL was that they were struggling with the SAAFL association fees and were much better off financially by moving into the SFL.

Agree. There are pros and cons in every comp, SFL has a great atmosphere, following, etc but far too lop sided, saafl has divisions so if one team is on the slide, they will eventually find their division, yet in SFL, they are stuck in the one division and continue to get smashed every week. Brighton will go, but that will be it, every one else will have empty threats and realize it is a massive decision and not at simple as some believe it to be and stay in the SFL.
The Note Book

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:52 pm

Don't be so sure on that. Brighton leaving might just be the domino that sets things going and others might decide to leave as well.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Postby Broken Down Hack » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:25 pm

If Roos, Towns, Rams, Bombers, Cobras....all go to amateurs, that means Hawks, Lions, Sharks left in a ten team comp still getting smashed.....bet the so called traditional clubs wont change their junior set up to make those clubs stronger, the league will go the same way as the Southern Cricket Ass ( 6 or 7 clubs), and now defunct Southern Lawn Bowls Ass. Just a thought....history repeating
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby vics01 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:50 am

BDH
If Roos, Towns, Rams, Bombers, Cobras....all go to amateurs, that means Hawks, Lions, Sharks left in a ten team comp still getting smashed.....bet the so called traditional clubs wont change their junior set up to make those clubs stronger, the league will go the same way as the Southern Cricket Ass ( 6 or 7 clubs), and now defunct Southern Lawn Bowls Ass. Just a thought....history repeating

1. Cove will not goto SAAFL.

2. What to and why do clubs need to change their junior set up for?? It is in line with AFL/SANFL under 18 and 16 comps.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby lion heart » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:33 pm

heater31 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Would Brighton really want to travel out to Elizabeth/Salisbury regularly to play Ammos?

Maybe this might just hasten the 2 Div proposal, which would be a good thing

IMHO it is exactly why they are doing it. Obviously Brighton are all for 2 divisions and are using the SAAFL as a bargaining tool to force the SFL's hand.

Perhaps if Brighton had a couple of stronger clubs around them and looked elsewhere as a group would really back them into acting and fast.

I very much doubt Brighton would go to these extreme's to force the league's hand. Its pretty obvious they are seriously exploring the option.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby shoe boy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:18 am

I believe Brighton have voted to stay in the SFL
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby afc9798 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:35 am

shoe boy wrote:I believe Brighton have voted to stay in the SFL

Not sure of your sources, but I hope you're right. Would be a logistical nightmare to go to SAAFL and would also have a major impact on the junior sides. I just hope the Future Directions Committee is not actually just a waste of time and that any recommendations would be ignored. I have seen the 'White Paper' that has been proposed with a number of options and there are some very workable solutions. None of the solutions will make every club happy and some leave a few clubs completely on the outer.

Time for some hard calls to be made, question is, do those in charge have the intestinal fortitude to make those calls?
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:41 am

From a BDOS senior perspective, I would have left. The SFL has no inclination to resolve this decade long issue.

From a BDOS junior perspective, I would stay. Whilst MSJFL has a division per age group, i.e. U12, U/13, U/14, I do not believe clubs are allowed to have multiple teams per age group. In past and current situations where BDOS has three teams in an age group (currently under 10's and 12's), they would have to turn kids away between 20 and 40 kids. They would lose these kids to Morphie Parks, Marion, Cove or from football all together.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:45 am

afc9798 wrote:

Not sure of your sources, but I hope you're right. Would be a logistical nightmare to go to SAAFL and would also have a major impact on the junior sides. I just hope the Future Directions Committee is not actually just a waste of time and that any recommendations would be ignored. I have seen the 'White Paper' that has been proposed with a number of options and there are some very workable solutions. None of the solutions will make every club happy and some leave a few clubs completely on the outer.

Time for some hard calls to be made, question is, do those in charge have the intestinal fortitude to make those calls?

Unlikely. The fact that they are looking at implementing in 2014 for me means that they do not understand the seriousness of the issue.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Caramels » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 pm

So what was the outcome of last night's meeting re Brighton going to the SAAFL?
Caramels
Under 16s

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Refer SAAFL Forum for answer on last night

FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Postby Speccy02 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Sooks! Now get on with the SFL conditions and shut your traps. Not perfect we all agree, but the point i am making is that you know what's ahead and as a majority you've chosen to stay (would've bet my house that was going to happen), so no more whinging about low crowd numbers/gate takings because of the sub standard competition, i would also bet my house that a move to SAAFL wouldn't change your abismal numbers at home games.

This statement is in no way in disagreeance to 2 divisions.
Speccy02
Rookie

Postby afc9798 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Speccy02 wrote:

Sooks! Now get on with the SFL conditions and shut your traps. Not perfect we all agree, but the point i am making is that you know what's ahead and as a majority you've chosen to stay (would've bet my house that was going to happen), so no more whinging about low crowd numbers/gate takings because of the sub standard competition, i would also bet my house that a move to SAAFL wouldn't change your abismal numbers at home games.

Why is it that when clubs explore options for the betterment of their club that people call it whinging or sooking?
The SAAFL option was a legitimate option and should have been explored or the club is not doing its due dilligence.

Questioning the vaibility of the SFL in its current form is something that is to be applauded not derided and anyone who thinks shutting up and getting on with it will change anything is sorely mistaken. The SFL needs a clear message that the current format is not good enough and doing nothing will further damage the already eroding reputation of the league. Furthermore, those clubs hangiong on by their fingertips both financially and performance wise will not benefit from the status quo.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby KEYDEFENDER » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Speccy02 wrote:

Speccy, thanks for you insight. I thought you would be glad to see BDOS leave the SFL. Who are you aligned too?.. why havent you listed who you support. Who else would you hate if we left?
I am pretty sure if you asked a BDOS offical that none of your 'whinging' points above are why they wanted to move. I would have thought they were issues BDOS would have had if they went to the SAAFL. BDOS decision is about giving all their members/players/supports the best chance to stay at the club and participate.

I looked back through your posts, no where did it say you were willing to bet your 1975 Jayco carvan. You should have posted your bet earlier, you could have uptraded to a 1980's double axel
KEYDEFENDER
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:37 pm

KEYDEFENDER wrote:
Speccy02 wrote:

Speccy, thanks for you insight. I thought you would be glad to see BDOS leave the SFL. Who are you aligned too?.. why havent you listed who you support. Who else would you hate if we left?
I am pretty sure if you asked a BDOS offical that none of your 'whinging' points above are why they wanted to move. I would have thought they were issues BDOS would have had if they went to the SAAFL. BDOS decision is about giving all their members/players/supports the best chance to stay at the club and participate.

I looked back through your posts, no where did it say you were willing to bet your 1975 Jayco carvan. You should have posted your bet earlier, you could have uptraded to a 1980's double axel

Periwinkle Blue?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Caramels » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:From a BDOS senior perspective, I would have left. The SFL has no inclination to resolve this decade long issue.

From a BDOS junior perspective, I would stay. Whilst MSJFL has a division per age group, i.e. U12, U/13, U/14, I do not believe clubs are allowed to have multiple teams per age group. In past and current situations where BDOS has three teams in an age group (currently under 10's and 12's), they would have to turn kids away between 20 and 40 kids. They would lose these kids to Morphie Parks, Marion, Cove or from football all together.

EV, Metro South & Metro West to merge I believe in 2013
Caramels
Under 16s

Postby Goal side » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:51 pm

DTH is it true that Brighton will be leaving the SFL at the end of the year??
Goal side
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:36 am

You can put an end to the thread guys. The Brighton Bombers have formally advised the SFL that they will be affiliated with the SFL in 2013.

And also to clear up an earlier comment. The Metor South and Metro West Junior Leagues will not be merging, which I believe also means that the combined Under 16 comp between those leagues that has occurred in 2012 will also no longer continue.

My undertstanding is that the Metro West clubs had voted for the merge but the Metro South clubs voted against.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL