Aldinga Sharks Forum

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Aldinga Sharks Forum

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue May 20, 2014 10:56 pm

marbles wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
HH3 wrote:
So this gimmick is still going ahead?

Just when I thought we were past all of this, get ready for another week where our league's name gets dragged through the mud again.

Meanwhile, Kilburn gets beaten by 50 goals, Angle Vale & Houghton Districts gets beaten by 35 goals... I wonder who the major sponsor of that competition is? Maybe they are protecting their investment by denigrating the closest competitor.

I dont know you, but you come off as such a **** sook....no offence

Sooking - debatable

Proud and defensive of our League - guilty

How do you suggest I should approach it?

maybe they seeking to buy the SFL as well :D

have ya notice they dont mention SFL scores on the Footy SA tv show?

Is that the show about the Port and Crows reserves?

Can't say I've watched it
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Courtney Fish » Wed May 21, 2014 7:05 pm

I just read in the messenger you are charging for car parking as well as admission. You will be able to pay Crawford to play every game next year.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 21, 2014 8:24 pm

What is Lonsdale's take on the whole charade? Are they getting any benefit from the day?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby vics01 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:23 pm

No win situation really for the Lions.. If they win they should have anyway.. If they lose they are a laughing stock. Unfair really.. Maybe they have taken on one of the top six and made it a real challenge.. If the Lions do lose does that mean Crawford and Co. will suit up for them?? I think not. Do not understand how the SFL have signed of on this. SFL a BIG laughing stock on National TV.. As ha been mentioned Ch9 are ignoring Kilburn as they sponsor the league
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Keyser Soze » Wed May 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:What is Lonsdale's take on the whole charade? Are they getting any benefit from the day?

Aldinga have quite clearly pulled the wool over the eyes of the Footy show and most of the SA football community. They are nowhere near has bad they have been made out and will win easily on Saturday (no disrespect to Lonsdale) as Aldinga would have twice has many paid players as the Lions, although this won't be mentioned.

Hopefully the Lions get something out of the weekend $$$ wise for being drawn into this exhibition match.

There are clubs struggling a lot more than Aldinga, but they keep backing up each week players, volunteers etc. no matter what the odds and put in solid performances that don't make the news but earn respect something that will be sadly missing at Aldinga on Saturday.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby The Cadet » Wed May 21, 2014 11:01 pm

It happens a lot in Victoria, ex AFL players suiting up for a one off game for a struggling club. A.Rocca has played a one off game last 2 years in my old league. I don't see a problem with it. Aldinga has prob averaged 3 wins a year since 2002, so a chance to make abit of money and to market there club can only be a good thing. Has been a lot of old supporters back around the club last few weeks an the club has a good positive vibe going forward.
The Cadet
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Numbers » Wed May 21, 2014 11:47 pm

What is everyone's problem with Crawford playing for the Sharks?

It's not really for the SFL or the Lions to worry about. The Sharks put in a Registration Form for S. Crawford & he plays!

If the Sharks are only 1 decent (39 year old, 5 year retired) player away from dominating games then good on them!

The rest of this "charade" is just a family day at the footy just like every other club does, this one just has some media attention.

I am not from Aldinga, just don't see what all the fuss
Numbers
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed May 21, 2014 11:51 pm

vics01 wrote:No win situation really for the Lions.. If they win they should have anyway.. If they lose they are a laughing stock. Unfair really.. Maybe they have taken on one of the top six and made it a real challenge.. If the Lions do lose does that mean Crawford and Co. will suit up for them?? I think not. Do not understand how the SFL have signed of on this. SFL a BIG laughing stock on National TV.. As ha been mentioned Ch9 are ignoring Kilburn as they sponsor the league

Maybe they should get into the "spirit" as well and talk Craig McRae or someone into playing the game. Turn it into a slowdown type game. Get the runner to grab the ball and have a kick, that always gets a cheer from the crowd. Maybe Guy Sebastian in the forward pocket or Lehmo trying to get a kick.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Numbers » Wed May 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Just remember that N Eagleton played at HV a year ago & no cared. Actually people thought it was good for the league.

LGIL you seem to enjoy a decent whinge!
Numbers
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 22, 2014 12:29 am

Numbers wrote:Just remember that N Eagleton played at HV a year ago & no cared. Actually people thought it was good for the league.

Quite a different scenario

Eagleton was a returning junior.
Eagleton was committed for the season, not just a one off gimmick game.
Eagleton was not followed by camera crews and a media circus.

I see one of two results out of this:
The Footy Show coverage will show a montage Crawford falling over and other players making stupid mistakes all for the sake of a cheap laugh, which will only portray our competition as a joke.
or
Someone will try to make a name for themselves by being the guy who belts Crawford - painting our league in a worse light.

The best thing that could happen would be for Crawford to do his hamstring in the warm-up and the whole thing fizzle out to nothing. That would turn the jokes onto him rather than the Aldinga FC and the SFL. The footy show notoriously replay the same footage ad-nauseum, so if he does something stupid during the game, the footage will be played for years to come. How many times do they replay the same footage of stretchers, hamstrings etc?

Aldinga are currently a national joke, this is just going to fuel it further
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby afc9798 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:44 am

Numbers wrote:Just remember that N Eagleton played at HV a year ago & no cared. Actually people thought it was good for the league.

As LGIL said, that is a ridiculous comparison. Eagleton also joined his 3 brothers, also all HVFC juniors and played a whole season culminating in his first ever premiership as a player. How many junior games did Crawford play at Aldinga. Are you going to have a shot at Michael Doughty for returning to his junor club as well?
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu May 22, 2014 10:18 am

Crawford is no different to Akermanis, Fevola, Milne, Manton, Bassett, Tarrant, Brown, Mooney, etc playing one-off games - purely for making some cash under the premise of exposure/promotion of the game.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby heater31 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:26 am

No different to the Akermanis package that has been getting around the past few years. Bring in a star player to generate some support for the club.

At least the sharks can probably be saved, good juniors and just need to ride out the storm in the seniors until they can get there.

Crawford does do some amazing work for good causes and has decided to give some attention to them and not Kilburn because kilburn's predicament is a result of living beyond their means and now are paying the price.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 22, 2014 10:58 am

Mr Beefy wrote:Crawford is no different to Akermanis, Fevola, Milne, Manton, Bassett, Tarrant, Brown, Mooney, etc playing one-off games - purely for making some cash under the premise of exposure/promotion of the game.

Fortunately up until now we have been able to avoid this rubbish.

Worst thing about Saturday is the focus will not be on helping Aldinga improve but instead on Crawford and how he is coming to save the club. There will be emphasis on how terrible Aldinga are (they will compile footage of every fumble, slip, fall etc) with Crawford the hero saving the day.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby afc9798 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Crawford is no different to Akermanis, Fevola, Milne, Manton, Bassett, Tarrant, Brown, Mooney, etc playing one-off games - purely for making some cash under the premise of exposure/promotion of the game.

Fortunately up until now we have been able to avoid this rubbish.

Worst thing about Saturday is the focus will not be on helping Aldinga improve but instead on Crawford and how he is coming to save the club. There will be emphasis on how terrible Aldinga are (they will compile footage of every fumble, slip, fall etc) with Crawford the hero saving the day.

And then he'll ride out of town feeling good and nothing has changed other than a few feelgood glows for a week. Not criticising Crawford, just the media circus that is looking for a cheap laugh at the expense of Aldinga and the SFL.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 22, 2014 12:30 pm

The sad thing for me is Aldinga is not a struggling town like many country clubs doing it tough. It has a large catchment area that is growing yearly with plenty of kids, along with excellent facilities and community club.

From an outsider looking in they seem to be a club that has been poorly managed as they seem to have plenty of things going for it.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu May 22, 2014 12:44 pm

I'm sensing a fair amount of petty jealousy on this topic. Pretty poor from some posters, but i expect nothing less from these trolls.

Good on Aldinga i reckon. Great for them and Lonsdale. Whoever lines up on Crawford gets to tell a good story to his kids/grandkids whatever, that he stood an AFL premiership player and Brownlow medalist, and maybe taught him a thing or two. Same goes for the Aldinga boys.

Crawford will be professional on field and take it serious....he's a competitor and you cant simply turn that switch off. Sure he may play up to the crowd a bit, but it wont be to the detriment of Aldinga winning the game. He's playing to help them win!
Gentlemen put your biased envy filled opinions off to one side and think of the positives to come out of this just for a minute.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 22, 2014 2:24 pm

tigerpie wrote:I'm sensing a fair amount of petty jealousy on this topic. Pretty poor from some posters, but i expect nothing less from these trolls.

Good on Aldinga i reckon. Great for them and Lonsdale. Whoever lines up on Crawford gets to tell a good story to his kids/grandkids whatever, that he stood an AFL premiership player and Brownlow medalist, and maybe taught him a thing or two. Same goes for the Aldinga boys.

Crawford will be professional on field and take it serious....he's a competitor and you cant simply turn that switch off. Sure he may play up to the crowd a bit, but it wont be to the detriment of Aldinga winning the game. He's playing to help them win!
Gentlemen put your biased envy filled opinions off to one side and think of the positives to come out of this just for a minute.

No, the only jealousy or envy I feel towards the Aldinga FC is the excellent catchment area they have access to.
Not only do they have access to a young population, growth is still being targeted at the area and it is expected to grow to 35,000 people as part of the draft 30 year plan for Greater Adelaide. Each of the remaining clubs in the competition would love to have access to what Aldinga has.
Sadly, the club suffers an image problem in the area, an image that has been further degraded by the recent media attention. Shane Crawford will do nothing to change that, it will give them one good day but what child will choose Aldinga when the stars on the footy show and Channel 9, and the journalists at News Ltd, are telling them that it is one of the worst clubs in the country, so bad that their only hope is for a former champion to come and save them.
Each child in that area has a choice between playing for Aldinga, Myponga, Willunga or McLaren, why would they choose Aldinga when over the past 6 weeks they have been told how terrible they are?
The worst part is Aldinga sought the attention, to highlight how bad they were looking for a quick gain. Nothing has come from the club in defense of what is being reported, instead they have fuelled it, which sadly now seriously overstates how bad their situation is. It will be very hard to recover from here, as Callington, Morgan-Cadell, Port Elliot all found out as the public perception of the club is they are a team of no-hopers, and that just attracts the wrong people, and turns the right people away.
The SFL are also now stuck in a position where they have to ride the wave and try to promote it as a positive for the league as this whole charade has progressed too far.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby HH3 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:16 pm

LGIL, you realise you're part of the problem. These kids are hearing bad things about the club from people like you, who have nothing to do with them.

Maybe if there weren't people like you spouting off all the time, ripping into the club just to make yourself feel superior to someone else things wouldnt be so bad.

If the SFL clubs had a healthy respect for each other, along with the rivalries, grudges etc, the league would be half decent. Instead people like you, even though you're from a middle of the pack club, jump on struggling clubs and try to keep the shit, just so you arent the shit ones.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 22, 2014 3:30 pm

HH3 wrote:LGIL, you realise you're part of the problem. These kids are hearing bad things about the club from people like you, who have nothing to do with them.

Maybe if there weren't people like you spouting off all the time, ripping into the club just to make yourself feel superior to someone else things wouldnt be so bad.

If the SFL clubs had a healthy respect for each other, along with the rivalries, grudges etc, the league would be half decent. Instead people like you, even though you're from a middle of the pack club, jump on struggling clubs and try to keep the shit, just so you arent the shit ones.

Far from part of the problem. I have never criticised Aldinga prior to this occurring. I do not go around criticising or ripping in to other clubs.

I have a healthy respect for each club in this league. I have always shown empathy to Aldinga or any other club in trouble.

What I will do, however, is criticise behavior which embarrasses the league yet places their own club in jeopardy. Nothing seems to have been learned from the plight of Callington or Port Elliot.
I understand what it's like to be part of a struggling club, highlighting the problems and wearing them as a badge of honour rather than fixing them helps no one.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL