Reynella

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Reynella

Postby Swooper16 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:15 am

Isnt it played in February? While it brings alot of people and money into the SFL how beneficial is to the teams that are playing competitive footy in Feb? Look at how Valley closed out the season last year - went out in straight sets and Reynella's finals series wasnt anything special getting knocked out by Brighton. I cant see the value in it myself.

What is it like to play in?
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Injured Phantom » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:00 am

Swooper, you make some valid points. I dont think that playing 20/20 does a lot to guarantee the flag in September which is the eventual goal. Morphett Vale proved this, as did Brighton. With Reynella, Cove & Happy Valley all missing the big match at the seasons end it does raise questions.

Having said this, it does have a lot of positives for a club and it helps with a clubs early season as opposed to the final result ... any club who is at the developing or challenging ends of the table. One would assume/hope come February that most clubs would be doing competitive type exercises and working out set plays, on field rules etc. It becomes a good tool for a coach to try out different balances, and also look at mainly new & young players.

Despite clubs hoping that by February that training numbers would be high, does having a little competition enhance these numbers at training? It gives clubs the third session a week in preparation to the season. The prizemoney lure at the end is inviting for any club, even if it is to purchase more footys for training, help fund a end of season trip, or buy new jumpers or medical equipment.

The risks are large, with hard grounds for increased injuries if the bodies have not yet been properly conditioned. Will players get burnt out with too much footy?

Personally I liked the competition, and would be happy if my team was in the competition. It also got interest from other leagues which is interesting (ie. Blackwood, Edwardstown, Meadows). It doesn't suit every clubs needs but it would for others. I can't see the purpose for Morphett Vale to take part with a coach and a pretty balanced team, their experimental needs would be catered for during the season.
Injured Phantom
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:20 am

We are kidding ourselves if we think this small competition could be anything but benefitial for a team to compete in.

SFL is not the AFl - any competitive match practice before the season would help a team and have no impact on finals at the end of the year. also promoting the league, making money, and providing entertainment at the same time.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Swooper16 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:59 am

I would presume that most teams in this competition would probably have started training by now then if they were going to play in this 20/20 comp.

You dont think that training or playing footy for 10 months of the year could fatigue some players mentally or physically? What about if for example Milo was to do his knee playing Meadows in a game in Feb...would that be beneficial?

I do agree with IP's points tho about how it could be beneficial for teams with new coaches or teams that are probably not going to challenge at the business end to play in but personally i think its a pointless exercise for any of the top clubs to participate.....unless of course Reynella have budgeted on winning the prize money (sorry couldnt resist).
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Postby Cheese Twisties » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:17 am

I didnt catch any of the 20/20 last year, but I like the way it gives clubs the oppotunity to play against clubs from other leagues on a more regular basis than trial matches. And surely for squads with young lists or juniors they wanna try in senior footy its a great idea. A bit rough to put older heads and your gun new recruits thru a 10 month season tho.
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:32 am

you dont have to risk you injury prone players. you dont have to train any differently than any other preseason. just a good opportunity to play some youngsters, get some match practice and play some other leagues. Its not playing 10 months a year at all (no different than any other team). short quarters, attacking footy. an innovative idea I would have thought, which has been proved to work last year..
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby BIG RED DELICIOUS » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:29 am

AFLflyer wrote:you dont have to risk you injury prone players. you dont have to train any differently than any other preseason. just a good opportunity to play some youngsters, get some match practice and play some other leagues. Its not playing 10 months a year at all (no different than any other team). short quarters, attacking footy. an innovative idea I would have thought, which has been proved to work last year..

agreed flyer that its a great idea and a great chance to blood some youngsters. not sure if it proved to work for reynella's advantage come round 1 last season against the emus...? I'd say the premiership points are more important than the 20/20 experience wouldnt you. Each to there own...

DONT FAKE THE FUNK ON A NASTY DUNK!
BIG RED DELICIOUS
Rookie

Postby Swooper16 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 am

AFLflyer wrote:you dont have to risk you injury prone players. you dont have to train any differently than any other preseason. just a good opportunity to play some youngsters, get some match practice and play some other leagues. Its not playing 10 months a year at all (no different than any other team). short quarters, attacking footy. an innovative idea I would have thought, which has been proved to work last year..

It may have been proved to work by large crowds, making money etc but did it actually assist any of the clubs involved during the season or their finals campaign which was my original point. Also i was under the understanding that both Valleys and reynella played their key players in this tournament last year?
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Postby AFLflyer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:15 am

Swooper16 wrote:

It may have been proved to work by large crowds, making money etc but did it actually assist any of the clubs involved during the season or their finals campaign which was my original point. Also i was under the understanding that both Valleys and reynella played their key players in this tournament last year?

they picked some but not all by memory - answer is, no it didnt help the teams final campaigns. answer is no - this didnt help reynella's round one clash against M.V.
but i dont think thats the entire point of the competition so early in the year. which I think you guys understand.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby FOOTYGODS » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:03 am

so Fly still no answer on weather or not you will be coming up for a drink after the game hopefully it will be a sunday game this year against us aswell, so we might get a few more people coming to the game....
FOOTYGODS
Under 18s

Postby fly » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:23 am

[quote="fudd03"]so Fly still no answer on weather or not you will be coming up for a drink after the game hopefully it will be a sunday game this year against us aswell, so we might get a few more people coming to the game....[/quote]

will have a drink with you fudd
fly
Under 16s

Postby FOOTYGODS » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:47 am

nice so the identity will finally be revealed hahaha
FOOTYGODS
Under 18s

Postby the wonder elephant » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:19 pm

Injured Phantom wrote:Swooper, you make some valid points. I dont think that playing 20/20 does a lot to guarantee the flag in September which is the eventual goal. Morphett Vale proved this, as did Brighton. With Reynella, Cove & Happy Valley all missing the big match at the seasons end it does raise questions.

Having said this, it does have a lot of positives for a club and it helps with a clubs early season as opposed to the final result ... any club who is at the developing or challenging ends of the table. One would assume/hope come February that most clubs would be doing competitive type exercises and working out set plays, on field rules etc. It becomes a good tool for a coach to try out different balances, and also look at mainly new & young players.

Despite clubs hoping that by February that training numbers would be high, does having a little competition enhance these numbers at training? It gives clubs the third session a week in preparation to the season. The prizemoney lure at the end is inviting for any club, even if it is to purchase more footys for training, help fund a end of season trip, or buy new jumpers or medical equipment.

The risks are large, with hard grounds for increased injuries if the bodies have not yet been properly conditioned. Will players get burnt out with too much footy?

Personally I liked the competition, and would be happy if my team was in the competition. It also got interest from other leagues which is interesting (ie. Blackwood, Edwardstown, Meadows). It doesn't suit every clubs needs but it would for others. I can't see the purpose for Morphett Vale to take part with a coach and a pretty balanced team, their experimental needs would be catered for during the season.

didnt hurt blackwood in the second half of the year they came home with a wet sail and got all the way to a prelim ..i went to most friday night games and the crowds were awesome footy would finish and be inside to watch the end of the cricket on the tele and enjoy meeting and catching up with people from other clubs you dont normally see to much of ..anyone know who has been invited this year ?
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby goalmachine » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Good work Reynella, good way to support your league with a club trying to get of a struggle and hopefully play finals this year, it is only a sunday game... Nice work kicking a team while they are down...
goalmachine
Mini-League

Postby fly » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 pm

goalmachine wrote:Good work Reynella, good way to support your league with a club trying to get of a struggle and hopefully play finals this year, it is only a sunday game... Nice work kicking a team while they are down...

WHO IS THIS GOOSE??????????? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
fly
Under 16s

Postby rock » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm

What's with these Reynella boys not liking their coach - round 1 hasn't even kicked off yet.
rock
Under 16s

Been liked: 12 times

Postby fly » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:02 pm

Good start to the season Saturday good game of footy.Cove will be a cracker this week.
fly
Under 16s

Postby rock » Mon May 05, 2008 5:08 pm

fly wrote:Good start to the season Saturday good game of footy.Cove will be a cracker this week.

How are we feeling now fly? I don't mean to club bash you, just be honest and say there's a player/coach problem. Its so obvious after speaking with a few of the boys and even standing around the huddles. Half the side isn't even listening to Evans - its all in the body language.
rock
Under 16s

Been liked: 12 times

Postby fly » Mon May 05, 2008 8:39 pm

[quote="rock"][quote="fly"]Good start to the season Saturday good game of footy.Cove will be a cracker this week.[/quote]

How are we feeling now fly? I don't mean to club bash you, just be honest and say there's a player/coach problem. Its so obvious after speaking with a few of the boys and even standing around the huddles. Half the side isn't even listening to Evans - its all in the body language.[/quote]

We were poor yesterday but it is only round 3 and i think we will improve greatly as we get the side settled and all our players back.As for you stirring the pot with the player/coach thing you can think what you like but he is well recieved amongst the playing group and has the respect of the group and the comitte must think he is the man for the job because he is appointed until 2009.
fly
Under 16s

Postby comeon » Mon May 05, 2008 9:00 pm

fly as a outsider looking in yesterday watching the game the body language of j. wood, butcher and co wasnt good,and the figthing between players is not good happen several times in front of me just seems the hipe around your side gets to the players
comeon
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL