Bands coming to Adelaide

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Bands coming to Adelaide

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Kahuna wrote:
Gozu wrote:Discount tickets to Roger Waters show at the Ent Centre on Fri 16th Feb for $79.90

http://lasttix.com.au/buy-discount-tick ... rs-us-them

Eff me, I paid for 2 at $305 also shouted my lad a pair at the same price for the show in Brisbane.
Won't be fussed about the price if this show is as good as his last tour.

Was a great show in 2007. I’m not sure how much better Waters can be ten years on, though, which is why I resisted getting tix this time around. On the other hand, cash flow pending, I may be temped with those cheap tickets...
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Neil Diamond has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and has cancelled the Aus/NZ legs of his 50th Anniversary World Tour.

Nan Boon is shattered, brother and I got her and Gramps tickets for Christmas.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10718 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Booney wrote:Neil Diamond has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and has cancelled the Aus/NZ legs of his 50th Anniversary World Tour.

Nan Boon is shattered, brother and I got her and Gramps tickets for Christmas.....
I bought the same gift.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Booney wrote:Neil Diamond has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and has cancelled the Aus/NZ legs of his 50th Anniversary World Tour.

That sux, I hope hes not too bad but it will be a shame if its the end of his touring. I didnt have tix to this concert but have been to three in the past, he puts on a great show and is an incredibly humble man.
Just glad I took my Mum to the last one, we had such a ball.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Wedgie wrote:

That sux, I hope hes not too bad but it will be a shame if its the end of his touring. I didnt have tix to this concert but have been to three in the past, he puts on a great show and is an incredibly humble man.
Just glad I took my Mum to the last one, we had such a ball.

Statement says that it is the end of his touring days.

By stopping the touring he expects to be able to continue recording and other projects he is involved in.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Well he is 77 and has been touring for 50 years, not a bad run.
Glad I got to see him.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Slayer have announced they are doing a farewell tour. Dates to be conformed
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 pm

RustyCage wrote:Slayer have announced they are doing a farewell tour. Dates to be conformed

Very interesting. Why the 'farewell'? Is Kerry King now too fat to get on a stage without it collapsing?

By the way, who's been filling Jeff Hanneman's spot on guitar since he departed this mortal coil? (and yes, I am too lazy to Google it).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 am

Magellan wrote:
RustyCage wrote:Slayer have announced they are doing a farewell tour. Dates to be conformed

Very interesting. Why the 'farewell'? Is Kerry King now too fat to get on a stage without it collapsing?

By the way, who's been filling Jeff Hanneman's spot on guitar since he departed this mortal coil? (and yes, I am too lazy to Google it).

Gary Holt from Exodus. The guy's got serious chops.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 am

Failed Creation wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Gary Holt from Exodus. The guy's got serious chops.

Ah, righto, saw him fill in for him at Soundwave 2011. Thought he acquitted himself very well, IIRC it sounded like he'd nailed Hanneman's licks almost note for note.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:20 pm

As most would know I'm not a Foo Fighters fan, I find their music quite drab and similar sounding.
Last night I got paid to be at Coopers, I was put in a bar underneath one of the stands so probably not the best place to be acoustically. I doubted my opinion was going to be changed but WOW, they were amazing. Even from where I was I could appreciate the energy of the gig and how fantastic they sounded, so much better than they do on the radio!
Loved their bigger hits over the years but especially loved Under Pressure, I reckon if Freddie was with us and was there he would have stood up and applauded.
Definitely one of the best gigs I've heard (and didn't get to see any of it), well done Fooeys. O got home about midnight and didn't fall asleep till about 4am, was too pumped. Everyone I served absolutely loved the gig, my only criticism was people were spending up to ten minutes lining up for drinks during the show, I wouldn't have left my seat!

The set list:

Run
All My Life
Learn to Fly
The Pretender
The Sky Is a Neighborhood
Rope
Sunday Rain
My Hero
These Days
Walk
Let It Die
White Limo
Arlandria
Breakout
Dirty Water
Arrows
Under My Wheels (Alice Cooper cover)
Another One Bites the Dust (Queen) / Blitzkrieg Bop (The Ramones)
Under Pressure (Queen cover)
Monkey Wrench
Best of You

Encore:
Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners
Blackbird (The Beatles cover)
Times Like These
This Is a Call
Everlong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Nice one wedgie.

Didnt go last night but I went and saw them at AO a few years ago and they were excellent then.

Amazed at how long they played. And that they genuinely seem to love doing it still, certainly didnt just phone it in and play for 80 mins then piss off like they could have
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm

bennymacca wrote:Nice one wedgie.

Didnt go last night but I went and saw them at AO a few years ago and they were excellent then.

Amazed at how long they played. And that they genuinely seem to love doing it still, certainly didnt just phone it in and play for 80 mins then piss off like they could have

Was Hindmarsh in 2015, mate. Adelaide Oval was 2011. :shock:

( You must be getting old! )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Played for 3 hours, so I reckon we got our money's worth. I saw them in 2015 and 2011 and last night was the best of the three, mostly because me and the mates I went with were so close to the stage in the thick of the mosh.

White Limo was my favourite of the night, I love that song and have been waiting since they announced the tour to hear it live. With all the bands I listen too I'm never really big on there more popular songs as I enjoy their older, deaper cuts so This is a Call was a big highlight, so was Let it Die. Loved Breakout and Rope aswell and even though I haven't listened to Concrete and Gold alot Arrows, Dirty Water and The Sky is a Neighbourhood have grown on me.
ImageImage
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10268 times
Been liked: 1496 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Nice one wedgie.

Was Hindmarsh in 2015, mate. Adelaide Oval was 2011. :shock:

( You must be getting old! )

shite was it that long ago
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:23 pm

There should be more concerts at Coopers, perfect interim between the Ent Centre and AO and sounded great. Well the Fooeys did, Weezer sounded good but Amyl and the Sniffers sounded ******* awful.
Was carnage getting out of the area though, took me half an hour to get out of the multi deck car park at the AEC where staff had to park, drove past my pub at midnight only to see it packed so went home and people were still wandering around near my place which is about a 30 min walk from Coopers.
Was a perfect night for it temperature wise.
Worked my guts out for over 7 hours and all patrons except for one were appreciative of our efforts but had a ball.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 pm

Wedgie wrote:There should be more concerts at Coopers, perfect interim between the Ent Centre and AO and sounded great. Well the Fooeys did, Weezer sounded good but Amyl and the Sniffers sounded ******* awful.
Was carnage getting out of the area though, took me half an hour to get out of the multi deck car park at the AEC where staff had to park, drove past my pub at midnight only to see it packed so went home and people were still wandering around near my place which is about a 30 min walk from Coopers.
Was a perfect night for it temperature wise.
Worked my guts out for over 7 hours and all patrons except for one were appreciative of our efforts but had a ball.
In 2015 Manton St was closed off to South Rd to let the crowds dissipate to the footpaths of Grange Rd.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:24 am

Great show as always, Adelaide Oval gig was 5/12/11...have the tickets stub at my desk. Worked out I have seen them 7 times now, 2 BDO's, Thebby, Ent Centre, Adelaide Oval and Hindmarsh x 2. One thing consistent is they give you their best every single time, I love how they appreciate the crowd and their fans and will never ever forget that.

Weezer were good, only caught the last half but if it was on again Id make sure I saw it all, was listening to a lot of their catalogue yesterday post concert.

Foey's were outstanding again, mixed up their set list, played 4 songs Ive never heard live before, but now have so many songs that even after 3 hours you walk away and can name 10 or so songs they didn't play.

Its sad that big rock acts are dying, but while the Foo's and I are still breathing air I'll be going to any gig when they come to Oz.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2306 times
Been liked: 3479 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 am

Dutchy wrote:Its sad that big rock acts are dying

I won't agree with Bono all that often, but :

You would think that after 16 Rolling Stone covers, U2's Bono would have gotten this whole Rolling Stone cover story interview thing down by now without incident. That, it turns out, is not the case, as revealed in the musician's latest chat with Jann Wenner, the magazine's cofounder and publisher, for its January 2018 issue, which begins with Wenner reminiscing on that time they had a 10-hour "intimate dialogue about rock & roll, social justice, faith and the purpose of art" in 2005—well in the past, as Bono pointed out, with the recent "election of Donald Trump and a rising wave of fascism in Europe," both of which have "rocked" him. (Along with a recent "near-death experience.")

Apparently, though, events like the election of a man whom at least a dozen women have accused of sexual assault and harassment haven't rocked Bono enough to think twice about making sexist comments—though perhaps because he felt just so at ease with Wenner, who's also very much from the same school of male, white rock 'n roll. While Bono abstained from elaborating on his near-death experience because "it's one thing if you were talking about it in a place of record like Rolling Stone, but by the time it gets to your local tabloid it is just awful," somehow he did not seem to think the same about opinions that sound bad not just in the tabloids but in every place of record—namely, his notion that women are currently oppressing men in the music industry.

"I think music has gotten very girly. And there are some good things about that, but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment—and that's not good," Bono said when Wenner asked if he agreed with his son that a "rock 'n roll revolution is around the corner."

"When I was 16, I had a lot of anger in me. You need to find a place for it and for guitars, whether it is with a drum machine—I don't care," he continued. "In the end, what is rock & roll? Rage is at the heart of it. Some great rock & roll tends to have that, which is why the Who were such a great band. Or Pearl Jam. Eddie [Vedder] has that rage."

Hopefully Bono knows that women have rage, too. But even his claim that women have displaced men who care about rock in being allowed to express their rage falls flat. Only a handful of women appear on Billboard's current chart of today's top rock songs—including just a a single one in the top 10—and men are still revered as the faces of rock (and most other genres of music, too). That much was clear just a couple of months ago, when only three solo women artists made the cut on the American Music Awards's list of nominees outside of the designated "Female Artist" category. (U2 did, by the way, and is now up for the "Tour of the Year" award.)

Then again, even Bono admits in the interview that his line "dinosaur wonders why he still walks the Earth," on U2's latest album, Songs of Experience, was in part about himself, and that he's still getting accustomed to the Top 40 streaming era. "We're back to the Fifties now, where the focus is on songs rather than albums. U2 make albums, so how do we survive? By making the songs better," he said.

As for how he thinks he's done that? By teaming up with the Edge on writing the (notoriously poorly reviewed) Spider-Man musical Turn Off the Dark. If that approach sounds a bit out of touch, please do know that it in fact came to him by way of a reputable man: one Paul McCartney. Still, it does seem a bit odd that Bono took McCartney's memories of how the Beatles actually got to be a better band by booking "posh" wedding gigs as a "Note to self and Edge: Let's get into musical theater." In fact, such interpretation might be Bono's best argument yet that men truly are getting desperate in their search for artistic outlets.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:18 am

That's the thing, isn't it. You can't make nuanced comments any more, you have to reinforce your comments to the nth degree so people don't turn your thoughts into something they're not, meanwhile your message gets lost in the dross. It's a self-perpetuating circle.

I take Bono to be saying, rock has a softer edge and that other musical genres have replaced rock as a place to release their angst. His music is being transcended. He understands that. He doesn't say it's necessarily a bad thing as a whole, but it is for him and people like him.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Music