Bands coming to Adelaide

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Bands coming to Adelaide

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:38 am

Hotter then Hell, Saturday at the Coopers Ale House, Gepps Cross.

We arrived around half way through the Racket set, the opening band on the bill. They had a punk edge, yet you could see they had some musical acumen. A quick Google search showed me some of the members had trained at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music and Berkley University School of Music in the US, it showed, they were tight and played hard. A good start to the afternoon/night.

28 Days were excellent, took me back to early BDO experiences, driving my burnt orange XE Falcon ( RIP, girl ) and a time when my wife and I were just settling into married life, parenthood and home ownership in the late 90's early 00's. Good times, good memories. Props to Jay Dunne for his attempts at getting a gig in a musical and gathering himself after a crowd surfer tickled his funny bone.

The Superjesus put on a show, Sarah McLeod is rock chick in every sense. Plays hard, sings hard, looks like she'd go hard too.... :D Played a great range of their better known hits and had the crowd winding up just nicely as the sun began to set behind Dan Murphys late on a hot afternoon. Plenty of singalongs to Down Again and Gravity. Glad I've seen them, might not be the last time.

Then the messy sun drenched, Pale and vodka fueled 40 something crowd were ready for headline act Grinspoon. Never a band to disappoint they hit the stage hard, as they always do. Phil Jamieson really is a front man, I'm not sure what else he could or would do in life, no need really as he's made for the role. Joe Hansen is an awesome bassist, he's one of those guys on stage who gets lost in the moment and you can see he loves it. Pat Davern gets to shine when Jamieson grabs an axe to grind on, he loves his rock riffs but I reckon he enjoys having a rhythm alongside him to let him play out more. Krisitian Hopes puts his double kick to use regularly, making sure Hansen has something driving to follow. They're tight, they're professionals, it shows.

Was a messy crowd, those of us who remember the 90's well shouldn't be in the sun drinking all afternoon, well, we can but we shouldn't expect to deal with it like we used too. The $8 beers and $12 spirits we're reasonably accesable early, there was one period between 28 Days and The SJ where the line ups became a little overwhelming, this soon broke up as people were buying in bulk and by early evening the line ups were non-existent.

All in all an excellent night out that wrapped up by 9:30 so those fried forties could get home or get to somewhere with a whopper or Big Mac to soak up the 3 or 4 too many most of us had.

Venue management was pretty good, in fact I'd say I'd not hesitate to go back to another show there with the same number of people, food, drink and amenities weren't ridiculous at any stage ( bar the drinks line up mentioned above ). The place was well set up, the big tree at the eastern end gave refuge to several hundred as the sun did it's best work and the tables, chairs, umbrellas and mist fans added another option to escape the warmth.

Good times. Saw Dutchy, pity I missed DW....
Attachments
HTH 2.jpg
HTH 2.jpg (134.62 KiB) Viewed 509 times
HTH 1.jpg
HTH 1.jpg (56.6 KiB) Viewed 509 times
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:21 am

Great arvo/night and well summarised Boon. Lucky it wasn't my buy when the huge line was in play :)

Despite the long drive from down South the venue was well set up and would go again, thought it was about the perfect size for a gig like that and well set out.

Loved the nostalgia of 28 days, SJ are one of my all time favs and were great and Grinners were Grinners....with all of the crowd right into it, it was a fantastic atmosphere.

Hope they do more of these type of shows, Vic Hotel would be a perfect venue next year ;)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2306 times
Been liked: 3479 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am

Booney wrote: Plays hard, sings hard, looks like she'd go hard too.... :D

Unless you are female you will never find out :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Gozu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote: Plays hard, sings hard, looks like she'd go hard too.... :D

Unless you are female you will never find out :lol:

I think she goes both ways mate she was in a relationship for years with the bass player from Silverchair.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 pm

She is definately on the females at the moment anyway!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm

Thy Art Is Murder/Emmure/Fit For An Autopsy/Justice For The Damned @ Adel Uni Bar Thurs 15th Feb

Primal Scream/Lime Cordiale/SSHH @ HQ Fri 16th Feb

Illy @ HQ Fri 23rd Feb

Overkill/Truth Corroded/Shadow Realm @ Fowler's Live Wed 28th Feb

Alice Ivy @ Rocket Bar Fri 2nd Mar

The Bennies @ Fat Controller Fri 2nd Mar

DEAD/MoE/Tiersman @ Ed Castle Hotel Sat 3rd Mar

New Candys/The Baudelaires/The Dunes @ Crown & Anchor Hotel Fri 9th Mar

The ZG's/Strawberry Fist Cake @ Ed Castle Hotel Fri 9th Mar

Regurgitator @ The Palais, Elder Park (Adelaide Festival) Fri 9th Mar

I, Valiance/Dregg/23/19/Mauvais @ Enigma Bar Sat 10th Mar

Slick Rick @ Fowler's Live Thurs 22nd Mar

Keys N Krates @ Rocket Bar Wed 4th Apr

Crooked Colours/Running Touch @ Fat Controller Thurs 5th Apr

Chocolate Starfish @ The Gov Fri 13th Apr

Hot Dub Time Machine @ Thebarton Theatre Fri 13th Apr

Heaps Good Friends/LEO/Neon Tetra @ Rocket Bar Fri 20th Apr

Nghtmre & Slander @ HQ Thurs 26th Apr

The Chats @ Fat Controller Fri 4th May

Tonight Alive @ The Gov Sat 12th May

Red Fang/Drunk Mums @ Fowler's Live Wed 16th May

Boney M @ The Gov Sun 7th Oct

The Angels @ The Gov Fri 16th Nov & Sat 17th Nov (rescheduled)
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:51 pm

If anyone is interested in going to see New York's legendary thrash metal band Overkill later this month the promoters are doing ticket bundles with a ticket to the Heavy SA festival in April for $60.

https://truthincrmt.bandcamp.com/merch/ ... ket-bundle
Gozu
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 am

Great review of Grinners, Booney!
I caught up with everyone I expected to but you and Duncs.

It was a fantastic show and I spent the whole time in the mosh two from the front, reminiscing about the good ol' days. I'd forgotten what this was like.
Jamieson was vital and alive and will supersede Barnesy as our Great Man of Rock when it's time for him to pass on the mantle - it started with J'OK, was handed to Billy Thorpe and on to Jim. He will be the man everyone will want to talk to about recording, the road and everything it entails and he'll enjoy being that character.

It was a nice warm-up for Friday night's Rise Against, a gig where I really felt my age.
As the person who I was meant to meet at the show pulled out that day, I was there by myself. I'm still not sure about whether that was weird or not.
Warmed up with four beers at the Hotel Royal and then hit Thebby and walked to the front of the stage (remembering the shenanigans from the previous weekend, I thought I could handle it). Those four beers were soon sweated out as the Thebby became a sweat box.
As soon as the opening chords of Chamber the Cartridge rolled out I knew this was going to be a good show. When Tim McIlwraith jumped into the mosh above me - my night had been made.
Rise Against, the Chicago step-sons of Rage Against the Machine, are a powerful quartet and really pack a punch, slamming the crowd with hard-hitting song after song. In the front, there was no let-up as I watched a dude collapse in front of me, eyes rolled into the back of his head. We lifted him out of the pit, I couldn't work out if it was dehydration or a result of pingers (possibly both).
You know you're getting old when some 21yo kids next to you check to make sure you're all right. I was all right. "Good on ya, man".
Prayer of the refugee was immense. Absolutely brilliant.
McIlwraith, as you'd expect of a band with strong convictions, was happy to chat about improving the world in between songs (possibly more in an an attempt to give the crowd a breather), I didn't mind but he could've cut some of it short - a bit preachy.
The crowd got a well-earned rest with an acoustic set from McIlwraith, including Hero of War. And, after an hour in the pit, I decided it was time for me to roll back and enjoy the rest of the show from a distance. Wisdom of the elders.
The second half of the show was just as power-packed as the first, Rise Against working through its now extensive back catalogue to give something to fans old and new.
This was the best show I'd been to for ages and reminded me of why I'm aiming to see more live music this year. I drove home, shoes, socks and t-shirt off - everything was absolutely soaked - and tired, it was well worth it (recapturing some of my musical youth, even if only for an hour!).

This Friday night: Dave Gleeson performing FREE at Gawler Fringe, from 9.30pm.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Wedgie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Working at the Roger Waters concert this Friday night at the AEC, expect to sell a few bourbans!
If anyones going say hi to your friendly neighbourhood barman.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Gozu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:50 pm

DJ Albo (Anthony Albanese) @ Kings Head Hotel Sunday 18th Feb
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Unwritten Law @ Fowler's Live Thurs 22nd Feb

Sarah McLeod @ Jive Fri 23rd Feb

Germein @ The Ark (Fringe Festival) Sat 10th Mar

Bad Moon Born @ Crown & Anchor Hotel Fri 23rd Mar

All You Need Is Love (The Beatles): Jack Jones/Ciaran Gribbin/Rai Thistlethwayte/Jackson Thomas with Adelaide Symphony Orchestra @ Festival Theatre Fri 23rd Mar & Sat 24th Mar

Her Majesty's Closing Benefit: Johanna Allen/Michaela Burger/Cam Goodall/Nancye Hayes/Ali McGregor/Meow Meow/Rob Mills/Tim Rogers @ Her Majesty's Theatre Sat 24th Mar

Bastardizer/Nocturnes Mist/Oath of Damnation @ Ed Castle Hotel Fri 6th Apr

Lowtide/Dean Forever @ Grace Emily Hotel Sat 7th Apr

Set Mo @ Fat Controller Sat 7th Apr

Honest Crooks @ Enigma Bar Sat 7th Apr

Kustom Kulture Weekender: The OzSkas/Pat Capocci + more @ Highway Hotel Sat 7th Apr & Sun 8th Apr

Childhood Cancer Benefit 3: The Lachy Doley Group + more @ The German Club Sat 14th Apr

Alex The Astronaut & Stella Donnelly @ Rocket Bar Sun 22nd Apr

Mark Wilkinson @ Grace Emily Hotel Thurs 26th Apr

Good Riddance @ Enigma Bar Thurs 26th Apr

Endless Heights/Harbours/Paradise Club @ Crown & Anchor Hotel Fri 27th Apr

Katana Cartel @ Ed Castle Hotel Sat 28th Apr

Verge Collection/White Blanks @ Jive Sat 28th Apr

BulletBoys/Dellacoma @ Fowler's Live Sat 5th May

Didirri @ Grace Emily Hotel Thurs 10th May

Vance Joy/Cub Sport/Didirri @ Thebarton Theatre Tues 18th Sep
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Venom Inc/Desecrator/Hidden Intent @ Enigma Bar Fri 2nd Mar

Ali Barter @ Royal Croquet Club Sat 3rd Mar

Coffin Wolf @ Enigma Bar Sat 3rd Mar

Ross Wilson & The Peaceniks @ The German Club Sat 3rd Mar

Ed Sheeran/Missy Higgins/Fergus James @ Adelaide Oval Wed 7th Mar

Walken @ Exeter Hotel, Rundle St Sat 10th Mar

Turnover/Turnstile/Sleep Talk/Towns @ Enigma Bar Mon 12th Mar

KLP @ Fat Controller Sat 24th Mar

Z-Star Delta @ Wheatsheaf Hotel Sat 31st Mar

John Waite/Sarah McLeod @ The Gov Thurs 5th Apr

Screamfeeder @ Ed Castle Hotel Fri 13th Apr

Cosmic Psychos/Grenadiers/Juliette Seizure & The Tremor Dolls @ Fowler's Live Wed 25th Apr

Middle Kids @ Fat Controller Fri 11th May

Cousin Tony's Brand New Firebird @ Rocket Bar Thurs 24th May

DMA's/Hatchie @ Thebarton Theatre Sat 2nd June

The Whitlams/Alex Lloyd/Deborah Conway @ The Gov Fri 15th June (sold out) & Sat 16th June (2nd show)

Hardcore Superstar @ Fowler's Live Sun 17th June

Machine Head @ HQ Tues 17th July

The Bamboos @ The Gov Sat 18th Aug
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Discount $59.90 tickets to A Day On The Green at Leconfield Wines, McLaren Vale Saturday 17th March.

The Living End
Spiderbait
Veruca Salt
Tumbleweed
The Fauves

https://lasttix.com.au/buy-discount-tic ... -salt-more
Gozu
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 am

Gozu wrote:Discount $59.90 tickets to A Day On The Green at Leconfield Wines, McLaren Vale Saturday 17th March.

The Living End
Spiderbait
Veruca Salt
Tumbleweed
The Fauves

https://lasttix.com.au/buy-discount-tic ... -salt-more

Bargain!! FFS...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 pm

I think we've gone VIP....I think.

8 of us on a 13 seater direct from Alberton to Leconfield and return for $420 bucks including liquor licence on the bus, beauty!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:14 pm

Booney wrote:I think we've gone VIP....I think.

8 of us on a 13 seater direct from Alberton to Leconfield and return for $420 bucks including liquor licence on the bus, beauty!

oh dear, the homebrew might get a run!!!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11782 times
Been liked: 3577 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:20 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:I think we've gone VIP....I think.

oh dear, the homebrew might get a run!!!

Might? Got a nice 6.5% number to take along.

:D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Queen tonight thanks to Spargo, looking forward to it!
It'll be weird being inside the arena and having others serve me Pales but back to normal tomorrow for the 2nd concert.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:50 am

Wow, freaking amazing. Up there with Springsteen as far as a concerts goes.
Was so blown away that I forked out another $450 for two great tix for tomorrow night's gig for my missus and daughter.
If you have the chance and the money do yourself a favour, the last time they were here was in 1974 and it's unlikely to happen again.
Once in a lifetime event..
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Grrrrr, Prophets of Rage are only doing the Eastern states. :evil:
Wedgie
Site Admin